Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up the dubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Link?

I live here, I know. Do you want me to take photos of all the signs and post them?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sligo City... Really? Never ever ever heard that. Ever.

Post the pictures yep :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I live here, I know. Do you want me to take photos of all the signs and post them?

Certainly.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm sure tourists would rank Dublin quite high on friendliness, my foreign friends all have good experiences from visiting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Even Cork and Limerick are pushing the boundaries of what you could reasonably consider a city.

It's ridiculous to consider towns like Armagh and Kilkenny as cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Isn't there something somewhere that says that once there is a Cathedral in the " town " it can be designated as a city.

Hence, Armagh, Kilkenny etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

power city in coolock is bigger than kilkenny 'city'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Kilkenny has city status historically so fair enough. What's comical is that a half-arsed town like Newry has recently (2002) been designated as a 'city', at the request of its clearly delusional urban authority.

Kilkennys population according to Wikipedia "The borough has a population of 8,711, however the majority of the population live outside the borough boundary, the 2011 Irish Census gives the total population of the Borough & Environs as 24,423"

Newry population according to Wikipedia "Newry (together with Bessbrook) had a population of 27,433 at the 2001 Census,[6][7] while Newry and Mourne Council Area had a population of 87,058"

Newry is hardly a half-arsed town

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ah, here's the problem with that. The full text of the NSS is here. At no stage in the 160 pages do they ever refer to Sligo as a city. What they actually say is:
    Four new national level gateways are identified: Dundalk, Sligo, and two "linked" gateways Letterkenny/(Derry), and Athlone/Tullamore/Mullingar. A linked gateway is one in which two or more strong towns work in partnership to promote economic and social development in their region.
    Sligo Council inserted 'City' after Gateway completely off their own bat. The NSS has no ability to designate anything as a city.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Mother of god yis'll moan about feckin anything.

Anywhere I've been in Ireland has been friendly. Really there has only been one place in the world that I found unfriendly. I have had mostly good experiences of people in general!!

Dublin is definitely a friendly place, I had great chats last week in Dublin pubs with lots of non Irish people who loved the place. We befriended two American girls and brought them on a bit of a pub crawl and they think we're all "the bomb" :D

I was in Kilkenny recently, you could walk into any pub no matter how small and be greeted with a smile.

Galway is the bestest though!

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How many people live in Kilkenny "city" ? 20,000?

That's a town.

Edit: 24,000 according to wikipedia. There are 11 places bigger than it, including Ennis, Dundalk, Drogheda, Swords, Navan and Bray all of which are just towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Mother of god yis'll moan about feckin anything.

Anywhere I've been in Ireland has been friendly. Really there has only been one place in the world that I found unfriendly. I have had mostly good experiences of people in general!!

Dublin is definitely a friendly place, I had great chats last week in Dublin pubs with lots of non Irish people who loved the place. We befriended two American girls and brought them on a bit of a pub crawl and they think we're all "the bomb" :D

I was in Kilkenny recently, you could walk into any pub no matter how small and be greeted with a smile.

Galway is the bestest though!

Helps if you have boobs.

awec wrote: »
    How many people live in Kilkenny "city" ? 20,000?

That's a town.

Edit: 24,000 according to wikipedia. There are 11 places bigger than it, including Ennis, Dundalk, Drogheda, Swords, Navan and Bray all of which are just towns.

But seriously - who cares?
    kneemos wrote: »
    Helps if you have boobs.

No what helps is when you're friendly in the first place. You get what you give and all that.

28064212 wrote: »
    Ah, here's the problem with that. The full text of the NSS is here. At no stage in the 160 pages do they ever refer to Sligo as a city. What they actually say is:

Sligo Council inserted 'City' after Gateway completely off their own bat. The NSS has no ability to designate anything as a city.

+1

And the signs you're seeing all over the place are probably local business bigging up this gateway thing.

I'd like to see official signage bearing the word 'city'.

But seriously - who cares?

Clearly some of us do. If you don't care, grand, but what does it matter if other people do?

Clearly some of us do. If you don't care, grand, but what does it matter if other people do?

One positive thread about how friendly some of the places in Ireland are and it's ruined by people dragging it off topic to moan about whether or not it should have made the list at all because they don't think it's a city.

It would be really bloody great if we could have a positive thread that remains as such.

I'll keep on dreaming I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

+1

And the signs you're seeing all over the place are probably local business bigging up this gateway thing.

I'd like to see official signage bearing the word 'city'.

No the signs were put up by the co co.

Stop being obtuse about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

One positive thread about how friendly some of the places in Ireland are and it's ruined by people dragging it off topic to moan about whether or not it should have made the list at all because they don't think it's a city.

It would be really bloody great if we could have a positive thread that remains as such.

Don't be silly. That's never going to happen. But I am in a good mood today so I will agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Count yourself lucky that this award/list is for something as petty and general as friendliness because if it was actually serious the Cork people would be going mad like boi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

You are starting to show the first signs of mod crankiness! Its like a primary school teachers patience with her class wearing thin.

Don't lose it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Boise City Oklahoma has a population of 1300. Usually a county seat in a US state is referred to as a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Who cares if Kilkenny is a city or not? Seriously why get so hot and bothered over something so insignificant?? :confused:

We should be happy that even in such a difficult time as now we're still able to maintain our hospitality and be featured twice in the top 20 friendliest cities in the world! :)

Super-Rush wrote: »
    No the signs were put up by the co co.

Stop being obtuse about this.

I'm not being obtuse. It's a gateway town, not a city. :)

Sligo isn't a city.

Fin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Who cares if Kilkenny is a city or not? Seriously why get so hot and bothered over something so insignificant?? :confused:

We should be happy that even in such a difficult time as now we're still able to maintain our hospitality and be featured twice in the top 20 friendliest cities in the world! :)

Ahem, 3 times. Now we're mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A lot of it depends on where the town boundries are placed.
    Most towns in Ireland are actually a lot bigger then appears officially,particularly post the Boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'm not being obtuse. It's a gateway town, not a city. :)

Sligo isn't a city.

Fin.

The council are a bit mad down there. They've invented they're own junction numbering system around the ring road as well.

The council can put up whatever signs they want but they can't designate themselves as a city. Sligo is a town, no matter what the council signs say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

grenache wrote: »
    Have you ever walked down O'Connel St late on a Saturday night / Sunday morning?

Not so friendly now are you OP!

what? that just makes no sense at all !!!!

but walking down the main st of galway , sligo , cork , waterford is perfectly safe ??? cop on

and yes i walk it regularly - and never have i been touched or accosted
    the bright lights and modern clothes must just be frightening you, like alittle startled rabbit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

that is why i started the thread , a positive spin on what normally is a car crash of a topic , most of my bans come from this very topic ;)

we are talking about how friendly people are and how we are perceived by outsiders, this ranking was done by Americans who read this apparently high class travel mag , people who travel take this listing seriously , so should be applauded - not fighting over city feckin status

and i notice all from outside the pale are very quiet about the fact that Dublin , has been ranked THE FRIENDLIEST CAPITAL CITY IN THE WORLD !!
    ( ranking was compiled by readers of the magazine who were polled on-line )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

love dublin no other place in ireland like it

Plenty in Britain though...

I'll get my coat:p

Advertisement