Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up the dubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Pace2008 wrote: »
    75% of tourists don't even recognise Irish junkies.

Where did you pick that figure from, Drummers arse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Why do people not from Kilkenny get so upset when they hear that its has city status?
    I mean, whats so wrong about it having city status, who gives a crap what title it has?
    There are cities in America, and all around the world with less than 5000 people living in them. Hell, there are cities in America with only a few hundred living in them.

Try not to shove your superior ego down peoples throats.

American's classification system for urban areas is very screwed up. Not a good example.

uch wrote: »
    Nope

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not, but Sligo is a town.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    All the road signs in and around it must be wrong so.

Yuppers.

http://www.sligoborough.ie/AboutUs/

The 'About Us' section of the Sligo borough website describes it as a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I was going to go to New Haven,Conneticut,but Conneticut people are obviously unfriendly.
    Kabul and Kandahar it is then,they weren't listed so they must be friendly enough...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

So what you're saying is....it is a city.

But its not a city because you dont want it to be.

What I'm saying is, or what the Act is saying is, it was a special case and it is recognised as a ceremonial city due to a combination of history and whinging.

It's different to Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford. It's not an actual city and won't have an administrative council but is only allowed to retain the title due to tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Yeah, to be honest the list is fairly nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Ah no, I always wanted to go to Luanda, Angola but according to that article it's the 4th unfriendliest city in the world :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

American's classification system for urban areas is very screwed up. Not a good example.

I think if you look around very few places define a city just by population (thats the idea a quick glance on wiki gives anyway), some languages dont even distinguish between a city and a town

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not, but Sligo is a town.

Yep

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Yuppers.

http://www.sligoborough.ie/AboutUs/

The 'About Us' section of the Sligo borough website describes it as a town.

It was designated as a Gateway City under the National Spatial Strategy years ago.

It was designated as a Gateway City under the National Spatial Strategy years ago.

In the 'About Us' section there, they discuss that it might become a gateway city.

I think if you look around very few places define a city just by population (thats the idea a quick glance on wiki gives anyway), some languages dont even distinguish between a city and a town

Right, so I think to me a city is a place with a decent population that has a city feel. Cork and Dublin in this country for me, sin é.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

belfast should be up there with the unfriendliest cities, about 80% of the people i've known from there are scumbags, i've also heard people say similar things about dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

In the 'About Us' section there, they discuss that it might become a gateway city.

I don't know when that was written, but it's been a gateway city for years now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Where is Liverpool on that list, far friendlier than Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Kilkenny's tourism board have done great work bringing more visitors to the city and surrounding county. It's such a lovely clean city.

It is a city and has always been.

Typical Irish begrudgery being shown towards Kilkenny's city status again. Always with the negativity.

I don't know when that was written, but it's been a gateway city for years now

Link?

Pang wrote: »
    Typical Irish begrudgery being shown towards Kilkenny's city status again. Always with the negativity.

Post 48, took longer than usual in this thread, but it always rears its head eventually.

Change the record, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

Pang wrote: »
    Kilkenny's tourism board have done great work bringing more visitors to the city and surrounding county. It's such a lovely clean city.

It is a city and has always been.

I've just decided that our family's end-of-summer holiday won't be in Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

KKkitty wrote: »
    Kilkenny has city status so get over it. Making the top ten on that list is a great achievement when you think of the amount of other places in the world. Up the Cats :)

Post that in the Waterford City Forum, I dare you.

Just watch the ban count rise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Weevil wrote: »

Prefer Carlow tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

dj jarvis wrote: »
    so for all the jackeen bashing on AH , it's nice to see we are ranked 12th most friendly city in the world , but even better Kilkenny makes the top 10 , being ranked 9th , up the cats ;-)

and i think Dublin is the highest ranked capital city in the world !!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/kilkenny-among-world-s-top-ten-friendliest-cities-survey-1.1486172

So it looks like the hordes of zombies on abbey st might not be putting the tourists off after all :eek:

every little helps
    Have you ever walked down O'Connel St late on a Saturday night / Sunday morning?

Not so friendly now are you OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

kneemos wrote: »
    Prefer Carlow tbh.

Went to Carlow RTC, and the town had a nice Arty-set and Tech* thing going on. Unfortunately, it lacks a castle and an un-negotiable traffic environment. Fail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

KKkitty wrote: »
    Good for your suburb so. It is governed by a borough council so what's wrong with that? Jaysus Kilkenny lose in the hurling and ye're still not happy.

Calling Kilkenny a city is a bit silly in fairness.

Nothing against the place, but if Kilkenny is a city then Port Laoise , Ennis , Athlone , Dundalk , Clonmel and about 20 more other 'towns' of a similiar size should all qualify as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

How come when the Irish travel, one of the defining factors of their experience is how friendly the locals are?

I go on holidays for the experience, and that doesn't necessarily include making friends, local or Irish. I don't particularly need to interact with the locals but when I do, I have found places like Paris and NY to be very friendly despite their reputations.

Other places in Eastern Europe and Russia (Moscow in particular) seem to go out of their way to belittle tourists, but again, this is something that wouldn't bother me, but would ruin trips for others...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Weevil wrote: »

Found a nicer halting site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Kilkenny has city status historically so fair enough. What's comical is that a half-arsed town like Newry has recently (2002) been designated as a 'city', at the request of its clearly delusional urban authority.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

'Most friendliest' ? What the hell is wrong with that journalist?

• Advertisement

longshanks wrote: »
    Kilkenny is a city now?

And what the hell is Queenstown, NZ doing there as well.

Its basically Portlaoise with added bungee jumping and drinking

Advertisement