Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up the dubs

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

dj jarvis wrote: »
    that is why i started the thread , a positive spin on what normally is a car crash of a topic , most of my bans come from this very topic ;)

we are talking about how friendly people are and how we are perceived by outsiders, this ranking was done by Americans who read this apparently high class travel mag , people who travel take this listing seriously , so should be applauded - not fighting over city feckin status

and i notice all from outside the pale are very quiet about the fact that Dublin , has been ranked THE FRIENDLIEST CAPITAL CITY IN THE WORLD !!
    ( ranking was compiled by readers of the magazine who were polled on-line )

How often do you get banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

kneemos wrote: »
    How often do you get banned?

i am not at liberty to say - i have been sworn to secrecy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

We already have a sunshine and lollipops forum for hippy back slapping.

Now back to cheap shots and moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    My suburb is twice as big as your 'city' ffs.

Also I believe it's governed by a.borough council?

It was allowed to be called a city in that Local Government Act 12 years ago simply not to upset anyone.

how old are you ffs? Your suburb??dubs can be really annoying "such and such isn't a REAL city" etc. why do you care. Kilkenny is a city, who cares? why feel the need to put somewhere else down? Dublin isn't exactly the massive city you think it is. Kilkenny is a great spot, friendly people, even to a corkman. Dublin is a great city as well. I just don't understand all this "my dad is bigger than your dad" ****e. Wonder is it just an irish thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I'm a bit shocked that Galway was only designated a city in 1985! :eek:

• Advertisement

podmu80 wrote: »
    how old are you ffs? Your suburb??dubs can be really annoying "such and such isn't a REAL city" etc. why do you care. Kilkenny is a city, who cares? why feel the need to put somewhere else down? Dublin isn't exactly the massive city you think it is. Kilkenny is a great spot, friendly people, even to a corkman. Dublin is a great city as well. I just don't understand all this "my dad is bigger than your dad" ****e. Wonder is it just an irish thing?

the irony of that statement is not being lost on the class - it coming from a boi !!!

you give out about people giving out, using the line "dubs are so annoying " :rolleyes:

back in your box now boi !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Isn't there something somewhere that says that once there is a Cathedral in the " town " it can be designated as a city.

Hence, Armagh, Kilkenny etc.

If that's the case then Tuam, Ballaghaderreen and Ballina are all cities.

well they tend to be the ones calling cities towns/villages etc. I did say Dublin is a great city, which I do believe it to be. Just don't understand why the need to dismiss other cities based on population. Kilkenny is a city, so what, why does someone feel the need to say its a town? It's a great spot, whatever you want to call it.

well they tend to be the ones calling cities towns/villages etc. I did say Dublin is a great city, which I do believe it to be. Just don't understand why the need to dismiss other cities based on population. Kilkenny is a city, so what, why does someone feel the need to say its a town? It's a great spot, whatever you want to call it.

but if you read the opening post , i congratulate kilkenny , so all dubs are annoying eh???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I love Kilkenny, my favourite city outside Dublin. Well deserved imo. It's a very welcoming place to visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

But but but but ..

What's wrong with Cork city?

Everyone knows thats the real capital of the republic!

didn't say all. Or didn't mean to imply all at least. like I said, I find the whole "not a real city" argument very annoying. i'm not having a go at dubs/Dublin. not everybody in cork suffers from second city syndrome. I like Dublin, apart from the footballers, and maybe the hurlers after sunday..... anyway time to get back in that box of mine. well done Kilkenny and Dublin, much deserved and good to hear some positive news for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If that's the case then Tuam, Ballaghaderreen and Ballina are all cities.

Not to mention the heartbeat of the South East and the Jewel on the Slaney, Enniscorthy :D

But seriously, I couldn't care less what people think constituents a city. Having a few "cities" (dwellings, towns, shires, whatever you want to call them) rank highly in a global poll only serves to confirm Ireland's high standing as a friendly, care-free, ultimately great little country to live in.

I have travelled the world, but the best craic I've had have been weekends away in various towns and cities in Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Why do I care? Excuse me for wanting a clear distinction between two different titles.

When did I say Kilkenny isn't a great place? :confused: I like Kilkenny but that doesn't mean I have to call it a city.

And that wasn't a 'My Dad is bigger than your Dad' comment (Who says that by the way?). I also know Dublin isn't a massive city, I never said it was. Which was exactly my point. And I lived more than half my life in a town of 40,000 people if you're going to say I'm a deluded Dub who's never been outside Dublin.

Anyway I'm off, good luck with your city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

westprt.a village that thinks it is a town trying to be a city

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

KKkitty wrote: »
    What has Kilkenny ever done wrong? People berate its city status almost all the time here.

Oh come on, it was declared a city centuries ago, and hasn't grown since. What the world now regards as a city is much bigger. They have the comedy festival in Kilkenny every year because the biggest joke in Ireland is calling Kilkenny a city. People have nothing against Kilkenny itself, but calling it a city is ridiculous. It is a lovely place and I like going there, but it is way too small to call it a city, whether it has a city charter or not. It has a Cathedral, yes, but so do places like Longford and other towns, and they are not regarded as cities. Lots of people are happy to live in much bigger places in Ireland and not call their villages and towns a city. A bit of pride just blinds the people of Kilkenny from doing the same. Because the rest of the people of Ireland can see common sense on this issue, Kilkenny people think the rest of the country is having a go. We're not. Kilkenny is a great place, but it is not a city, charter or not!

Advertisement