Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up the dubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Kilkenny is a city now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Brace yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Kilkenny people are the friendliest so they are. Being born and raised there is an honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Newark the most unfriendly city?

WALOFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

KKkitty wrote: »
    Kilkenny people are the friendliest so they are. Being born and raised there is an honour.

Bad kitty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Ah sure yeah, Henry Shefflin embodied that Kilkenny friendliness the other week didn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

longshanks wrote: »
    Kilkenny is a city now?

Surprised at the Irish Times misspelling Sh*tty like that.

What has Kilkenny ever done wrong? People berate its city status almost all the time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Out of interest how are the rankings decided?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Great for Dublin and for Ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

It shouldn't be a city, Ennis and Navan are bigger and they aren't cities.

Sligo is another city that's only really a town.

The majority of people in Sligo don't even want it to have city status, though it seems Kilkenny people are quite proud of their status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

love dublin no other place in ireland like it

Kilkenny has city status so get over it. Making the top ten on that list is a great achievement when you think of the amount of other places in the world. Up the Cats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

love dublin no other place in ireland like it
    Thankfully.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What has Kilkenny ever done wrong? People berate its city status almost all the time here.

My suburb is twice as big as your 'city' ffs.

Also I believe it's governed by a.borough council?

It was allowed to be called a city in that Local Government Act 12 years ago simply not to upset anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

best looking women by far

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

It was allowed to be called a city in that Local Government Act 12 years ago simply not to upset anyone.

Good for your suburb so. It is governed by a borough council so what's wrong with that? Jaysus Kilkenny lose in the hurling and ye're still not happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Kilkenny is a nice place but hard to recognise as a city. I know cities don't have to be colossal, but there's a point where a place just seems too small to be a city too. Ditto Limerick, Galway, Waterford IMO. Cork just barely - and it's one heck of a tiny city.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Went to Kilkenny for the first time over the Christmas. Nice place, lovely town, crappy city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Eh, it was given city status in 1609. I know what was recognised as a city back then might not be impressive by today's standards, but facts be facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

dj jarvis wrote: »
    So it looks like the hordes of zombies on abbey st might not be putting the tourists off after all :eek:
    75% of tourists don't even recognise Irish junkies, and I daresay a lot of them are less traumatised than some of the locals for being asked for a bit of spare change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Why do people not from Kilkenny get so upset when they hear that its has city status?
    I mean, whats so wrong about it having city status, who gives a crap what title it has?
    There are cities in America, and all around the world with less than 5000 people living in them. Hell, there are cities in America with only a few hundred living in them.

Try not to shove your superior ego down peoples throats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

It is TINY for a city. It's technically a city, but with a population of 25,000? Naaaah.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

As I always say,,,, I like cake

21/25

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Sligo is another city that's only really a town.

Sligo isn't a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Sligo isn't a city.

Nope

21/25

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Good for your suburb so. It is governed by a borough council so what's wrong with that? Jaysus Kilkenny lose in the hurling and ye're still not happy.

There's nothing wrong with it. It's just that it's a large town.

Read the Local Government Act 2002, originally it wasn't going to be recognised as a city but after all the complaints from the council, it was added as a ceremonial city. As in, it recognises it's history and how it was always called a city and because of this special case, it can retain the title city, a ceremonial city. Hence why it's governed by a borough council as opposed to a city council like the other 5 cities.

So it can be referred to as a city due it traditionally being called a city but in reality, it's not a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Sligo isn't a city.

All the road signs in and around it must be wrong so.

Kilkenny is a nice place but hard to recognise as a city. I know cities don't have to be colossal, but there's a point where a place just seems too small to be a city too. Ditto Limerick, Galway, Waterford IMO. Cork just barely - and it's one heck of a tiny city.

Yeah, Galway is a town to me. It has a town feel.

Cork, IMO, feels like a proper city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

There's nothing wrong with it. It's just that it's a large town.

Read the Local Government Act 2002, originally it wasn't going to be recognised as a city but after all the complaints from the council, it was added as a ceremonial city. As in, it recognises it's history and how it was always called a city and because of this special case, it can retain the title city, a ceremonial city. Hence why it's governed by a borough council as opposed to a city council like the other 5 cities.

So it can be referred to as a city due it traditionally being called a city but in reality, it's not a city.

So what you're saying is....it is a city.

But its not a city because you dont want it to be.

Advertisement