Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland Senior Football Quarter-Final: Dublin v Cork - 3/8/2013 7pm Croke Park

Options
  • 02-08-2013 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

DUBLIN (SF v Cork): S Cluxton; J Cooper, R O'Carroll, K O'Brien; J McCarthy, G Brennan, J McCaffrey; MD Macauley, C O'Sullivan; P Flynn, C Kilkenny, D Connolly; P Mannion, E O'Gara, B Brogan.

CORK (SF v Dublin): A Quirke; E Cadogan, M Shields, Thomas Clancy; D Cahalane, G Canty, J Loughrey; A O'Connor, P O'Neill; M Collins, A Walsh, J O'Rourke; D Goulding, C Sheehan, B Hurley.

Dublin 4/9 Draw 10/1 Cork 9/4
    Source; Paddy Power

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The Dubs should beat the Rebels, but you just don't know which Rebel team will show up. If it is a good one, anything could happen. Dublin are the form team though and should have the advantage. They have a strong panel and the experience there. Jim Gavin has changed their style of football and they are not going to come up against the blanket defence in playing Cork. So it should be a more open game. Dublin to win by a few points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

This could be a proper heavyweight punch up ... the purists may tut tut after the final whistle at the space and quality of defending ... but I've a feeling the scoreboard will be red hot. Betting line indicates its set at 36 total points in the match 19-17 in Dublins favour would do me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dont care what some of there own fans and others are saying im not writting Cork off for one minute!!.

I think it should be a close enough game id be surprised otherwise.

Dublin are good enough to win it and i hope the right attitude and team turn up on the day.

The midfield will be one the key battles in this game Cork have a lot of big men in there if they can win the kick outs who knows!.

Will be a close one but Dublin will come threw in the end I HOPE!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Fancy the dubs for this myself but us langers have been known to throw a spanner in the works, don't see it happening this time

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Really find it hard to see anything but a Dublin win here.

Dublin do have weaknesses but I really find it hard to see Cork being able to play in a manner that would suggest they will be able to take advantage of it in an sort of organised or pre-planned manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

beeroclock wrote: »
    Fancy the dubs for this myself but us langers have been known to throw a spanner in the works, don't see it happening this time
    If it goes to a shoot out ,and Cork go toe to toe with Dublin,we will loose,as dublin will out score us,not that they have better forwards,our forwards are as good as them,but Dublin unlike Cork will play to their strengths and crucially will have in kilkenny,a link man,a scorer,and their main go guy that most plays will go through.

We are unsure how ,our Genuis,will get Cork to line out,but he could well pick Walsh at Cf,with gould and kerrigan starting in the half forward line.

Compared to a flynn and Kilkenny, in that Dublin have footballers,that have speed of mind,creativity,can take scores,unless we pick collins,kelly or sheehan at half forward,we won't expose the weak aeras dublin have.

Kelly or sheehan could cause brennan trouble,but walsh or pearse o neill would be bread and butter to him.
    Cork will have character,fight,courage,as that even showed in our defeats we counihan,but the lack of a game plan,ability to adjust to the flow of the game,and crucially make the right calls at the right time.

If were in the game with a quarter to go ,we have every chance,but with counihan in charge,we could be too far behind,and unlike previous games,this Dublin team wont loose if they have a big lead.

It is very hard to have faith in counihan.

Kerrigan is ideal to run at Dublin,but would be better as a roaming 15,with sheehan outside.

Our half back line with kissane to start,is too slow,one dimensohal,and lateral,while our half forward line is too predictable.and no creativity ,and O connor and o neill are not mobile enough,wont win a lot of clean possesion and have never been good to win breaking ball.

The balance of the team is completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Hardest game of the weekend to call- Cork have the potential to win this game and do so with a few points to spare but you never know what you're going to get with Cork ( other than tactical naivety).

If Cork manage to implement and execute a proper defensive system then they will win- if not then Dublin by about 6.

I'm leaning towards the latter as there is no evidence of Corks management being upto the challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Dublin by 1 after Cork leading the whole game would do fine :)

Couinhan said today,thats it's not possible to name your team that will start in advance,as then you show your hand and you couldn't tell them that you would have a guy 5'4 against a guy 6,6 in a match.That he was beaten by dummy teams in the past.That you just would'nt do it.

Is he actually in tune to what he says.
    The voice of reason speaks,but it just has no logic at all.

Its not picking the team and letting the opponents know in advance is the problem.
    As Fitzmaurice said"a dummy team is a fools errand.

Micko O Dwyer ,Brian Cody,Sean Boylan ,Fitzmaurice,Jack O 'Connor ,JBM and many more have proved you do not need such foolish mind games have no bearing on team's winning.

When counihan mentioned that you would not tell the opposition you would play a 5'4 guy on a 6'6 guy,as they want to create a mismatch,and benfit he's team,it for me showed double standards.

Yet its fine to play O Sullivan on Canty,Armstrong on Canty,Walsh as a Cf.Kissane on Ger collins this year,complete mismatches that cause Cork problems,yet he refuses to change things.

JBM proved you can pick your team,stick with it,and making positional changes if needed.Jamie Coughlan doing a spell at Centre forward proved that,and like wise harnedy starting Centre forward but playing full forward against Limerick.

You don't have show all your cards in the first hand dealt,but at least be sensible about it.Counihan thinks he is a mastermind,when truth be told it is like fitzmaurice said foolish,and the fact he still looses when he does it,makes us a laughing stock.

Joe Brolly was right when he mentioned the team with the best manager will win the championship.He totally dismissed Counihan.

A lot of Cork fans do not like Brolly,but personally i respect him,unlike the Cork media,he calls a spade a spade.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Throw a poll on it.

Have to go with the Dubs, who I thought were only ok against Meath. IF the 2nd half Cork team turn up from the Galway game this could be a clinger. Still think the Dubs have another gear to easy past Cork.
    Dublin by 5.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Throw a poll on it.

Have to go with the Dubs, who I thought were only ok against Meath. IF the 2nd half Cork team turn up from the Galway game this could be a clinger. Still think the Dubs have another gear to easy past Cork.
    Dublin by 5.

Cork only played in the last 15 minutes,when we were four down against Galway,they took over for the first 20,minutes of the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 goldieangel1

A friend has a ticket for tomorrows match corkv dublin incroke park in lower cusack for sale. 30 euro section 310 row v. Anyone interested contact <snip>

Mod: No phone numbers please. Contact poster by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Cork only played in the last 15 minutes,when we were four down against Galway,they took over for the first 20,minutes of the second half.

This stuff always gets me. Cork Played the full 70 and only put in 15 minutes people would consider 'good'. There's a reason they didn't 'play' for the other 55. That's not the mark of a good team.

To me that says more about them potentially flailing than it does about them being potentially fearsome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Dubs by at least 6 points, possibly more, a lot more.

Loads of talk on here and in the media, of how good Cork are on paper. If I wasn't at last Sundays Cork/Galway game, I would be worried. But I was there, and for 55 minutes I saw 15 Cork men playing like they really didn't give a damm. Their pulling it out of the bag in the last 15/20 minutes was impressive. But it was against a tiring Galway team, with no bench. That won't be a factor today. I can't really see Cork being able to summon up the drive and hunger for the full 70 minutes, that is needed to win games at this level and at time of the year. If it wasn't there last week, I can't really see how it can be magically summoned up in just 7 days.

Syferus wrote: »
    This stuff always gets me. Cork Played the full 70 and only put in 15 minutes people would consider 'good'. There's a reason they didn't 'play' for the other 55. That's not the mark of a good team.

To me that says more about them potentially flailing than it does about them being potentially fearsome.
    Yeah they took the field ,for 70 minutes,doesnt mean they played football.
    And you are right,there is a reason they never played for 55 minutes, the reason is they started with the wrong team,which is the manager's fault.

If they were really bad,they wouldn't of been able to win it.The players are their in Cork.Cork should have been in control of the game.I said it like many Cork fans,we would struggle against galway,and could be beat.

Their saying,Counihan may have a tactial masterplan for tonight,and he has been holding back til now,and he will pull a rabbit out of the hat tonight.

I don't buy it,more like he pull the short straw if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Jim Gavin, what a legend. Eternal sunny disposition. Looks like its his birthday every day. (Maybe he was watching Brolly?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Counihan sounds like he's up to his usual carry on.
    "Will you line out as selected?"
    "Ah, we'll have a look at everyone after warm up and see."

Tristram wrote: »
    Jim Gavin, what a legend. Eternal sunny disposition. Looks like its his birthday every day. (Maybe he was watching Brolly?)

Serious happy hippy up-beat vibe coming off him in that interview.

Counihan trying to beat his personal record for the use of "you know" in an interview.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

O'Gara dropped Cullen...presume he will play further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Joe's taken his beta blockers, and he's sound now!

• Advertisement

Counihan sounds like he's up to his usual carry on.
    "Will you line out as selected?"
    "Ah, we'll have a look at everyone after warm up and see."

Counihan cunning like a fox.

Unfortunately for Conor pretty much all humans are smarter than foxes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Odd that the Dub/Cork fans didn't come in for the 1st game, seems to be a big crowd now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork a point up.... blow it up now ref!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

yop wrote: »
    Odd that the Dub/Cork fans didn't come in for the 1st game, seems to be a big crowd now.

Commentators for the first game said the rain was keeping Cork/Dublin fans away....cant really blame those with tickets for Hill 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Brogan.

Connolly needs to keep the head from getting hot. Seen a bit of a thuggish lift.

Commentators for the first game said the rain was keeping Cork/Dublin fans away....cant really blame those with tickets for Hill 16.

Probably true, tv didn't probably reflect how bad the rain was.

Cork left Dubs that free.

Since when does a Nazi salute signify a 45?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Bernard Brogan playing with the confidence of 2011 Fernando Torres so far.

Quality scoring Cluxton, keeper is top scorer in this game :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Kevin drank his accuracy juice this morning.

Advertisement