Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Was it Fionn Davenport?

No it wasn't Finn It's John Fardy. I like his segments, he actually knows what he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

Interesting to hear a different take on Donald Trump presidency on the show this morning.

Seth Barrett Tillman, an American lecturing in Maynooth was the guest.

He cut through some the medias hysteria and warned against Enda Kenny using the term "undocumented" Irish when he meets with Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Mentally ill women on talking about how the Hijab is "empowering" ... she then went on to say how "We aren't *allowed* to show our hair"
    her actual words ... you could not make it up ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Mentally ill women on talking about how the Hijab is "empowering" ... she then went on to say how "We aren't *allowed* to show our hair"
    her actual words ... you could not make it up ..

I think it's called indoctrination :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Eamonn Ryan on yesterday talking about opposing the visit to the US in March.

I don't want to get into that debate here, but Pat asked "What's the difference between meeting POTUS and meeting Theresa May who's also embarking on policies which are widely opposed by the people?" (paraphrase)

Surely the simple answer was "Well, we share a land border with Theresa May's country..."? Yet he kept dithering for ages on it and avoiding the question...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Mentally ill women on talking about how the Hijab is "empowering"
    The word "empowering" - particularly in relation to women - has been misappropriated a lot lately, it seems to me.

Women taking all their clothes off? Empowering.

Women totally covering themselves up including their faces? Empowering.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

serfboard wrote: »
    The word "empowering" - particularly in relation to women - has been misappropriated a lot lately, it seems to me.

Women taking all their clothes off? Empowering.

Women totally covering themselves up including their faces? Empowering.

:rolleyes:

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Surely the point is women should be able to wear what they want to wear.

I find the idea of banning hijabs rather oppressive tbh. Imagine the uproar if tomorrow morning we decided to ban nuns wearing their habit in public or priests wearing the collar or whatever.

There's a discussion to be had around the hijab (as to whether women are being forced to wear it or are choosing to wear it), but I think making it illegal to wear it is just as wrong as making it compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Eamonn Ryan on yesterday talking about opposing the visit to the US in March.

I don't want to get into that debate here, but Pat asked "What's the difference between meeting POTUS and meeting Theresa May who's also embarking on policies which are widely opposed by the people?" (paraphrase)

Surely the simple answer was "Well, we share a land border with Theresa May's country..."? Yet he kept dithering for ages on it and avoiding the question...

Greens have no credibility. They're a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites. U.S. military planes kept landing and taking off at Shannon during their time in government. So much for their high and mighty principles.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Surely the point is women should be able to wear what they want to wear.

I find the idea of banning hijabs rather oppressive tbh. Imagine the uproar if tomorrow morning we decided to ban nuns wearing their habit in public or priests wearing the collar or whatever.

There's a discussion to be had around the hijab (as to whether women are being forced to wear it or are choosing to wear it), but I think making it illegal to wear it is just as wrong as making it compulsory.
    In terms of people wearing what they want to wear I would have two rules:

1. You can't walk around naked.
    2. You can't walk around with your face covered.

Other than that, you can wear what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

If you've been indoctrinated from birth there is very little choosing involved ... we should know that from our own experience of "religous" Remember the brouhaha when Mary Robinson met the Pope without one of those silly bits of lace on her head!

I really don't care what anyone wears but I did see a woman in the full face cover garb driving which IMO is akin to driving blindfolded ... now that I think of it I presume it was a woman!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Absolutely nothing wrong with the hijab, which only covers a woman’s hair. Headscarves were once fashionable in the west, and still are in some eastern orthodox countries. Given the hostility with which many westerners view Islam, wearing it probably has become an empowering act for many muslim women living in the west.

I understand people’s problem with the burka/niqab, which arguably does represent a explicit rejection of western values, but I am opposed to French-style bans. Dress codes for certain places and for driving etc, yes. But blanket bans are the wrong way to go about it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

At the start of the segment on how to deal with leaks and plumbing issues yourself, you have a plumber in to tell you not to even attempt it cos you will make a mess of it. What's the point? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

At the start of the segment on how to deal with leaks and plumbing issues yourself, you have a plumber in to tell you not to even attempt it cos you will make a mess of it. What's the point? ?
    I'm a tiler. I work in bathrooms and kitchens a lot. If there's any plumbing issues I will tell the householder to call a plumber. I will not touch anything to do with water. I don't want a call at 4am telling me the radiator I connected is pi$$ing water to the kitchen floor via the light-bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Is there no 9 o clock news?

I never suggested it should be banned (don't think it should) but giving it lots of coverage and highlighting it as a positive thing isn't good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Dear God - Pat Kenny does Dublin's North Inner City and it's all onwards and upwards. If they were available online I remember him doing identical shows for RTE back in the 1970s. Local TD and Minister Pascal Donohoe had a cameo on the piece and I still haven't a clue what he was talking about. Perhaps it's just me?

serfboard wrote: »
    In terms of people wearing what they want to wear I would have two rules: Other than that, you can wear what you like.

I remember I was on the bike one day, and it was cold. I just popped in to Tesco with my jacket hood up (not covering face), and the guy in the store stopped me and asked me to pull down the hood. What do the Muslim women do when they go to Tesco?

I remember I was on the bike one day, and it was cold. I just popped in to Tesco with my jacket hood up (not covering face), and the guy in the store stopped me and asked me to pull down the hood. What do the Muslim women do when they go to Tesco?

Security would be afraid to go near them, cos they could lose their job if they said boo ..

Security would be afraid to go near them, cos they could lose their job if they said boo ..

Yeah, that's what I would think too. Last thing you want is a picket on the store, and that IS what would happen.

What do the Muslim women do when they go to Tesco?
    Most Muslim don't wear a full face covering, so it doesn't affect them.

If a business wanted to have a rule saying faces must be uncovered, Id be interested to see it before the courts. You couldn't say it discriminates against Muslims because it is not an article of faith of Islam that women's faces must be covered - that's only some people's interpretation. (AFAIK, it's not an article of faith that women have to have any covering on their head at all - just look at photos of more moderate Muslim countries from 40-50 years ago. The majority of women did not have their heads covered).

• Advertisement

Pat called it St James -es Hospital :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

What jail is this woman talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

Pat called it St James -es Hospital :eek:

I just love how he almost falls over himself to say it right everytime he does an item on it! I worked there for a couple of years and could only ever call it Jameses :D
    Sure the local patients wouldn't know what you were talking about otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I just love how he almost falls over himself to say it right everytime he does an item on it!

He has the similar problem "chimney", he says it in such a dublinese way chim-n-ee. I was in shock when first heard him say it, then he said again in quick succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

This irish speaker who speaks fluent English sounds like a right pompus twit. The majority don't speak irish or use irish so why waste time and money on forms etc in irish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Believe it or not us Irish speakers can speak English fluently too. They're not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Ah Jonathan Healy. Great.

Did George Hook not quadruple this guys lunchtime listenership? Why continue to give him so much prominent airtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah Jonathan Healy. Great.

Did George Hook not quadruple this guys lunchtime listenership? Why continue to give him so much prominent airtime?

Sigh. I really don't like it at all when Pat's off.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Sigh. I really don't like it at all when Pat's off.

He starts the show by talking about how Enda Kenny doesn't know when to go. How many times has he been fired and he still doesn't know that he needs to move on. Him and all his smart ar$e allusions and facetious, sarcastic little side comments. Go and go now, Healy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Ivan Yates will be filling in for Pat tomorrow.

Advertisement