Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭daithi7

Deedsie wrote: »
    I'm definite a fan of Pat but he is extremely biased on the cyclist/pedestrian v motorist debate.

Still the best current affairs radio broadcaster but Seán O'Rourke is good too.

Me three. I think Pat is a brilliant radio journalist, I like the intelligence in his questions, his science like rigour and that he calls out bull ****ting, law breaking, spongers for what they are when they are on. That's not done nearly enough on our airwaves imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

RTE stream is broke else I wouldn’t be listening, but Pat is blaming “selfish” and drunk pedestrians/cyclists for getting in the way of motorists.

It has been known to happen. Happened in the past 10 days. Nothing the driver could do.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The road safety people blame drunk drivers for a large proportion of road accidents, yet hardly ever mention drunk pedestrians or cyclists.
    We need a new road safety slogan "Don't drink and drive, or cycle, or walk".

Better motto would be "Don't be a f*cking twat."

A nice catch-all motto which acknowledges that there's wrong-doing on all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Better motto would be "Don't be a f*cking twat."

A nice catch-all motto which acknowledges that there's wrong-doing on all sides.

Succinct but way too precise to ever be used :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

daithi7 wrote: »
    Me three. I think Pat is a brilliant radio journalist, I like the intelligence in his questions, his science like rigour and that he calls out bull ****ting, law breaking, spongers for what they are when they are on. That's not done nearly enough on our airwaves imho.

Maybe Pat should have another read of the Moriarty Tribunal Report and apply his "science-like rigour" to it. There's plenty of material in that for him to sink his journalistic teeth into. He could devote at least a couple of programmes into analysing its findings. He'd probably get a whole week out of it actually.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭daithi7

Maybe Pat should have another read of the Moriarty Tribunal Report and apply his "science-like rigour" to it. There's plenty of material in that for him to sink his journalistic teeth into. He could devote at least a couple of programmes into analysing its findings. He'd probably get a whole week out of it actually.........

I wouldn't disagree with the thrust of that sentiment at all, of course the findings and outcomes of the Moriarty Tribunal should be fully sounded out on the airwaves. After all, we all paid a lot of money for it.

However, to think Pat Kenny would get the editorial freedom to do a proper due diligence on it is not fair to Pat Kenny imho. It just wouldn't happen. The government would have to address media ownership issues in Ireland to expect ~35% of the national press & radio media to be able to dissect the findings of Moriarty without fear of censure by their (fat, blonde, pin striped) owner. ( eh no, not Donald Trump) That's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

daithi7 wrote: »
    I wouldn't disagree with the thrust of that sentiment at all, of course the findings and outcomes of the Moriarty Tribunal should be fully sounded out on the airwaves. After all, we all paid a lot of money for it.

However, to think Pat Kenny would get the editorial freedom to do a proper due diligence on it is not fair to Pat Kenny imho. It just wouldn't happen. The government would have to address media ownership issues in Ireland to expect ~35% of the national press & radio media to be able to dissect the findings of Moriarty without fear of censure by their owners. That's the reality.

I was being flippant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Woman from the epa on with pat today saying the air quality in all our cities meets all required criteria is air quality is generally good.

Fast forward 30 min and Eamon Ryan of the greens says that Dublin air quality is worse than that of Beijing. Pat briefly took him up on it and it was only when a texter sent in a question that he really questioned him on it. Ryan backtracks and says it dependent on weather conditions and waffles on a bit......

How could you belive anything that comes out of his mouth when he makes up lies to suit his narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Woman from the epa on with pat today saying the air quality in all our cities meets all required criteria is air quality is generally good.

Fast forward 30 min and Eamon Ryan of the greens says that Dublin air quality is worse than that of Beijing. Pat briefly took him up on it and it was only when a texter sent in a question that he really questioned him on it. Ryan backtracks and says it dependent on weather conditions and waffles on a bit......

How could you belive anything that comes out of his mouth when he makes up lies to suit his narrative

Ah that was just alternative facts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Callan57 wrote: »
    Ah that was just alternative facts :rolleyes:
    I think "alternative facts" is going to be the phrase of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

serfboard wrote: »
    I think "alternative facts" is going to be the phrase of the year.

I'm concerned that "alternative facts" is going to become the new "so to speak", so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I'm concerned that "alternative facts" is going to become the new "so to speak", so to speak.

Ah sure that'll never gain traction because of the optics. They'll kick the can down the road.

I love the relationship between Pat and Katie Hopkins. He just takes all her barbs on the chin, and continues on talking to her. They are like a married couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I love the relationship between Pat and Katie Hopkins. He just takes all her barbs on the chin, and continues on talking to her. They are like a married couple.
    Katie sounds like a fascist. The alarming thing is, she represents a large chunk of British opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Katie Hopkins is a vacuous, self-promoting air head who shouldn't be given any airtime - or oxygen for that matter! Then after a burst of inane Ads we're back to thinly disguised medical advertorial (the raison d'être for Newstalk) directing weak minded listeners to buy medical insurance etc. - off goes the radio. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Katie Hopkins is a vacuous, self-promoting air head who shouldn't be given any airtime - or oxygen for that matter! Then after a burst of inane Ads we're back to thinly disguised medical advertorial (the raison d'être for Newstalk) directing weak minded listeners to buy medical insurance etc. - off goes the radio. :mad:

I felt, during the interview, that I was just listening to a prolonged ad for Dr Kelly's practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

That was a somewhat interesting topic but I do wonder about the wisdom of encouraging people to have potentially unnecessary CT scans considering that one CT can expose you to as much radiation as 200 X-rays...

Luke, the trendy scientist, I'm surprised he didn't take some LSD before coming in to studio.

"His approval rating is even lower than Donald Trumps".

Such stupid remarks from the CNN person and him just haven been voted president. The whole CNN channel are just bitter at this stage. And they are bitter because the people ignored them and their pushing of Hilary, not for any other reason. They are no longer as relevant or credible as they used to be and it hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

This nudie fella is a spoofer.

Sure he's not even in the nip now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's a sad reflection of how low Pat has gone that he has to resort to that idiot in an attempt to generate some controversy/listenership for his show.

Hopkins herself has realised that outrageous right-winger is a nice little earner for her - between appearances on TV and radio shows and her column in The Daily Fascist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Such stupid remarks from the CNN person and him just haven been voted president. The whole CNN channel are just bitter at this stage. And they are bitter because the people ignored them and their pushing of Hilary, not for any other reason. They are no longer as relevant or credible as they used to be and it hurts.

Bet you've never ever even watched CNN before.

Another self indulgent tangent by Jonathan Healy.

I have to admit, I think he does a good job at these bits.

As long as Pat's in the big chair.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I have to admit, I think he does a good job at these bits.

Ah Donie, we're gonna have a big falling out.
    I've heard a thousand reports that were the same.. i.e. "controversial" Oscar speeches. I could have probably cut and paste it from a thousand other reports...

Ah Donie, we're gonna have a big falling out.
    I've heard a thousand reports that were the same.. i.e. "controversial" Oscar speeches. I could have probably cut and paste it from a thousand other reports...

But you'd take a few mins of that over Pat being off, right?

Big picture, dude. C'mon.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    But you'd take a few mins of that over Pat being off, right? Big picture, dude. C'mon.

You're certainly a glass half full person. And yes I certainly agree with you on that one..!

You're certainly a glass half full person. And yes I certainly agree with you on that one..!

I am on Friday.

If i heard that piece on Monday, my initial post would probably be more like:

"F*** this **** ******* ****.

****."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Who was the guy who used to do those type of slots for Pat he did them for popular musics and actors and he did a hell of a lot better job then Healy, I switched it off straight away today!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Was it Fionn Davenport?

Advertisement