Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    And this differs from the catholic church's take on gay sex how exactly?

Most of the representatives of the Church that I heard at the time were pro gay marriage.. I can't think where any Catholic representative saying that being gay was a sin. Lord knows if they had, D'arcy would have dedicated the whole month to "balanced discussions" on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I'm sure some liberal lefty on here would be jumping up and down on their keyboard if that had happened but hey if some minority group spokesman like Dr Ali Saleem says it that's ok with the right on hipster SJW's like yourself! There is more of us out there then you think!

Is name calling the only thing you're capable of? - grow up.
    DeadHand wrote: »
    Not true.

The reaction would be infinitely more public and severe and you know it.

If I knew it, I wouldn't have said it
    Most of the representatives of the Church that I heard at the time were pro gay marriage.. I can't think where any Catholic representative saying thapro gay marriaget being gay was a sin. Lord knows if they had, D'arcy would have dedicated the whole month to "balanced discussions" on the topic.

The Catholic Church still deems gay sex to be a sin, it hasn't changed it's position, so a representative of the church stating this would hardly be a shock and most people wouldn't bat an eyelid if they did.

I can't remember any pro-gay marriage priests on airways at the time, the official church stance was very much anti.

It seems hugely convenient that they found all his documentation in the truck, given that they have just made the argument that most of these people will enter the country with no documentation. I think the real question is: If he left his passport in the footwell of the truck, how did it take the security services so long to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

RTE and the Irish media in general present a skewed, biased view of both the migrant situation and the general Irish attitude toward.

I heard Una Mullally on Late Debate last week saying there should be free movement of all people around the world - probably one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard regarding the immigration issue. It's the sort of nonsensical ould guff that largely goes unchallenged because nobody would dare to question it for fear of being somehow labelled racist or xenophobic, and woe betide anybody who would dare to criticise one of Ireland's most self-righteous liberal elites.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I heard Una Mullally on Late Debate last week saying there should be free movement of all people around the world - probably one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard regarding the immigration issue. It's the sort of nonsensical ould guff that largely goes unchallenged because nobody would dare to question it for fear of being somehow labelled racist or xenophobic, and woe betide anybody who would dare to criticise one of Ireland's most self-righteous liberal elites.

What free movement without a check anywhere ? Ah now I all for free movement of people but up to a point. You can't be having every tom dick or harry moving freely. I'm not a fan of una mullally. I mean she's entitled to her opinion but it doesn't make it right or gospel.

• Advertisement

God this lad is painful.. what happened to real comedians, instead of people who think they are funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

God this lad is painful.. what happened to real comedians, instead of people who think they are funny.

I think the muslims got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

don't forget to tune into liveline tomorrow morning Peter for the annual funny Friday live from Grafton Street, sure to be a rib tickler with plenty of the old favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

None are so blind as those who will not see.

It's the orchestrated movement of a population into an area with strong political (EU: reduced and diluted nations are easier to bully/federalise), religious (gulf states push the influx in this direction and set up mosques as advance bases- virgin lands for Islam to conquer) and economic (neo-liberals: flood Europe with cheap labour) motivations underlying.

It's a plantation.

Keep sleepwalking, like the political class and media, until some unfortunate we "rescue" decides to drive a lorry through a Christmas market in Dublin.

The day is coming- see if you can still maintain your sense of moral superiority on that day.

Consider this- the Middle East has been in a constant state of warfare since Christ was a carpenter. Why is it only in the last few years that the solution is to abandon the borders and actively plant millions of culturally incompatible people in Europe?

Something is deeply rotten at the heart of this.

There's a lot in this tbf. I don't agree with some of the tin hat stuff, re weakening states, etc but I do agree with a bit of what you're saying.

The EU immigration policy has been proven to be totally divisive, corrosive to the social fabric of ,after all, 27/28 quite different and diverse countries and cultures within Europe, and could become a major factor in the disintegration of the whole EU itself if left unchecked E.g. the UK has already voted for Brexit, through a voting campaign that played on people's genuine concerns and fears over this issue.

My own view, fwiw, is that when signing up to the EU, each country has agreed to the 4 freedoms within the EU. So free (but regulated)movement of labour, goods, services and people. So citizens of the EU have a carte blanche. There's a lot in that, and a lot that is mostly economically and socially great for all of the EU and it's citizens greater good.

The case for opening borders to outside immigration, is far from clear however. In fact it's clear that most attempts to open up borders have been abused and enlarged, leading to all sorts of mostly unintended social and political consequences and unrest in Europe. This needs to be addressed imho. I'd be much happier if the EU would directly assist countries like Syria, Libya etc, etc with resources, development aid, advice on good governance etc, etc, and indirectly through the UN, World Bank, IMF , etc, etc. IMHO, the best way to help countries and people is nearly always to help them to help themselves.

So does that mean that I'm against immigrants from outside the EU coming to work and live in Europe? In the main, yes. Unrestricted access is a recipe for an implosion imho. Restricted and controlled access for where an immigrant can prove they can add and contribute to an individual country or area (socially, economically and culturally) & can fully accept EU values such as cultural & religious tolerance, democracy, free markets, learning an EU language, etc, etc, etc, and if they can't or won't, tough.

And to be specific, when someone is allowed to settle in a country in the EU, under those conditions, they should (only) be allowed work and live in that country of the EU, and shouldn't get full unrestricted access to live work in the rest of the EU from the off, until say they can become a full citizen of that member state. E.g. for instance, one of Italy's secular problems is that it's population is aging rapidly and is not renewing itself, never mind expanding. Syria's people's are fleeing a tyrannical regime in their homeland. Surely it should be possible to set up structures to allow those from Syria, who can contribute (socially, economically and culturally) to Italy, an opportunity to live and work in Italy while also providing direct aid on the ground (in the middle east) to those who can't!?

The immigration issue mishandled is a guttural one for most EU citizens (e.g. witness the crazy abuse of maternal/paternal qualification into Ireland by many from the Nigerian community now resident in Ireland, until the government finally tightened the lax qualification laws over 10 years ago). There is a clear differentiation for me between within EU (EFTA,&EEA) migration& immigration, and those who come from outside the EU (&EFTA &EEA) countries. This needs careful and considered management and governance for the sake of all of the EU and all of it's people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I believe she campaigns tirelessly against (largely imaginary) misogyny- when not busy being about as funny as a four year olds funeral.

Question: has this anti-misognistic saint ever condemned or even commented upon the most violently misogynistic conspiracy in recent years: the Muslim rape/Paedophile rings targeting indigenous working class women and children across Northern England? Or the fact the authorities covered it up to the extent those trying to address it were punished?

She did manage to address the Cologne attacks but only as far as to claim men in general are just as bad (I don't see European men doing this on this scale, with this regularity and with this organisation) and fret about the dangers of the right wing (I don't see modern right wing operatives systematically raping women).

She presented an incident in which (she claims) someone slapped her on the ass in Dublin as proof that Irish men are equally animalistic- as if this in anyway can be compared to the systematic, sectarian mass rape and sexual assault of thousands of indigenous European young women and children (the youngest victim was 15) by organised gangs of Muslim men.

She wilfully ignores the fact these savages were the products of violently misogynistic cultures and a violently misogynistic religion and the bearing this had on their actions. She paints it as something mundane: something all men do. Downplaying it and brushing the clear cultural motivations involved under the carpet.

It seems (in common with most of modern feminism) she is only interested in misogyny when it is carried out by white men.

She rails against an entirely imagined "rape culture" in Ireland while denying, ignoring and downplaying the genuine rape culture we are importing- not just ignoring it but insisting we import more of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone else hear Shane Ross, Government Minister stating that Simon Harris was "going to kick ass" and later “I hope to God he does demand arses from the HSE.”

The language!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone else hear Shane Ross, Government Minister stating that Simon Harris was "going to kick ass" and later “I hope to God he does demand arses from the HSE.”

The language!

radio was on in the background, I thought I misheard it and said to myself, there's no way he said that.

what an absolute clown.

Idiocracy isn't just coming to fruition in the US with Trump, its been alive and well here for quite some time with the likes of Ross, Healy Raes, Mitchell O Connor, Alan Kelly etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

snubbleste wrote: »

The language!

When is Ross going to start closing down CIE railway lines instead of pontificating about everything beyond his brief. As an aside, Shane Ross hit me in the face with a piece of chalk when he was doing his HDip almost 50 years ago - not being one to hold a grudge, I still don't like him. :D

Absolutely sickening listening to this opportunist Ogle pontificating to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Absolutely sickening listening to this opportunist Ogle pontificating to everybody.

He's no different to many of them inside the Dail i.e. Ross, Wallace, Healy-Rae etc. Bluffers will be bluffers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

He's no different to many of them inside the Dail i.e. Ross, Wallace, Healy-Rae etc. Bluffers will be bluffers.

Spot on there Spud ...you are sooooo right !

Well at least they have a mandate.. He just seems to somehow become the spokesman for all these populist campaigns. I'm not sure a lot of the people in Apollo House would appreciate having such an insidious, divisive man purporting to speak for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Freudian slip there from Minister for Immigration David Stanton speaking about refugees coming to Ireland
    "People will be coming in from Libya, sorry, Lebanon"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Has anybody yet managed to identify the local FF/FG members business interests that own the hotel?

http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/news/48-news/ballaghaderreen-and-castlerea-hotels-to-reopen

Oh ffs, not this absolute clown again. Where is Pat Kenny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well at least they have a mandate.. He just seems to somehow become the spokesman for all these populist campaigns. I'm not sure a lot of the people in Apollo House would appreciate having such an insidious, divisive man purporting to speak for them.

That's the very very sad bit right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Oh ffs, not this absolute clown again. Where is Pat Kenny?
    I don't listen to Pat that often, but the odd time I do, Jonathon Healy seems to be filling in for him an extraordinary number of times outside of the usual holiday periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Yup.

i couldnt stick it today and legged it to bleeding turbidy. thank god for sean o rourke.

WTF has happened to Newstalk?

its gone from a station i used to listen to regularly to one where today the ONLY show i listened most of the way through was High bleeding Noon !

the only other thing i tried to listen to was the business part of the breakfast show but i nodded off towards the end and woke up at half 7 to the absolute horror line up of fitzpatrick and williams.

jesus i couldnt change the dial quick enough.

the JLNRs are gonna tell some story i bet.

Funny how the ONLY time the media here believe ANYTHING that the Russians have to say is when it's something negative about Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Funny how the ONLY time the media here believe ANYTHING that the Russians have to say is when it's something negative about Donald Trump.

I think at this stage RTE in particular love anything thats anti trump even if its a totally made up story that they havent fact checked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

It's amusing but you can be sure that if there's smoke, there's fire and any of Trumps sexual shenanigans will be outed. There'll be a lot of busy journalists digging away.

Whether it makes any difference to his public persona is another matter. He'll probably wear them as a badge of honour.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's amusing but you can be sure that if there's smoke, there's fire and any of Trumps sexual shenanigans will be outed. There'll be a lot of busy journalists digging away.

Whether it makes any difference to his public persona is another matter. He'll probably wear them as a badge of honour.

I think it was John Simpson this morning that said "If the devout religious people were willing to forgive him for all the stuff he's already done, they're probably not going to pay much attention to Russian allegations, and even if they were to be proven true, they'd probably just write them off." (paraphrasing obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I think it was John Simpson this morning that said "If the devout religious people were willing to forgive him for all the stuff he's already done, they're probably not going to pay much attention to Russian allegations, and even if they were to be proven true, they'd probably just write them off." (paraphrasing obviously)

Probably correct ... once you bend your moral compass it's bent for good

Healy cant even do a simple report without all the usual smart ar$e comments and snippy little asides.. Get rid of him Newstalk, permanently this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Coppinger's proposal being stripped to pieces there, and it sounds like she's realising how dumb it is herself the more she talks about it.

Advertisement