Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was thinking of switching from todayfm, will stay where I am for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

More man bashing for Newstalk.

It was a good piece of radio. The way things are these days with 'boys', I wouldn't call them men, and how they behave around women really needs to be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

Yeah, don't think that series can be criticised as 'man bashing'. They kept coming back to male victims as well. Just because they're talking about crimes against women doesn't make it a 'man vs woman' thing. Had it on in the car on the way to work. Some appalling stuff in it - great radio though. Do they do many series like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Yeah, don't think that series can be criticised as 'man bashing'. They kept coming back to male victims as well. Just because they're talking about crimes against women doesn't make it a 'man vs woman' thing. Had it on in the car on the way to work. Some appalling stuff in it - great radio though. Do they do many series like that?

I think that this is appalling radio. All we hear is one side of each story. We have no idea if we are hearing the full truth, or any truth at all. Even when some of these cases go to court, we are not allowed to know what happens as most of cases are held 'in camera'.
    The media, including current affairs radio, are only interested in grabbing headlines. They are not interested in examining the complexities of cases.
    This is tabloid radio at its worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

More man bashing for Newstalk. Repeat after me: "All men are b*stards, and all women are made from sugar and spice and all things nice".

Indeed the anti-male bias is strong the past few weeks, i switched off this morning after a while.

As point out already its one sided radio, seemingly designed to paint men and the court system as the devil. Some of the statements especially about the judges ect were crazy.

Don't get me wrong some of the accounts are harrowing but there is no way i can take it as serious as it needs when its unbalanced in its reporting.

• Advertisement

I don't know. I think that's more than a bit much to say it's "anti male" to take on domestic violence and violence against women. It's not a Men vs Women issue. I think it's just one we've never really taken seriously. Stuff like the lack of services in rural areas and the lack of refuges are a total scandal.

I digress though. Matter of opinion. I just thought it was worth the series.

Anyway, is Healy in for the week or is it one day only?
    Calhoun wrote: »
    Indeed the anti-male bias is strong the past few weeks, i switched off this morning after a while.

As point out already its one sided radio, seemingly designed to paint men and the court system as the devil. Some of the statements especially about the judges ect were crazy.

Don't get me wrong some of the accounts are harrowing but there is no way i can take it as serious as it needs when its unbalanced in its reporting.

I don't know. I think that's more than a bit much to say it's "anti male" to take on domestic violence and violence against women. It's not a Men vs Women issue. I think it's just one we've never really taken seriously. Stuff like the lack of services in rural areas and the lack of refuges are a total scandal.

I digress though. Matter of opinion. I just thought it was worth the series.

Anyway, is Healy in for the week or is it one day only?

On its own I would agree with you it's a topic that needs to be tackled but the lack of balance on it and the general rethoric of late from irish media not just newstalk is crazy.

If it's not mem versus women then I am not sure why a wide spectrum of victims from both side of the sexes weren't selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

The thing that really bothers me is that if the references / allusions to men were made about any other group, Newstalk and Dil from Victim Village would be up in arms... It seems that these victim groups are only interested in victims when they can cite the victim's case when looking for further attention (and funding).

The thing that really bothers me is that if the references / allusions to men were made about any other group, Newstalk and Dil from Victim Village would be up in arms... It seems that these victim groups are only interested in victims when they can cite the victim's case when looking for further attention (and funding).

Indeed what kind of inclusive society can we have when on sex is demonised in the press. Say if you were actually a male victim of domestic abuse I can tell you that after the coverage you would be very cautious about reporting it.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I think that this is appalling radio. All we hear is one side of each story. We have no idea if we are hearing the full truth,

They all must walk in to doors so. (In fairness I didn't hear this mornings piece)
    On its own I would agree with you it's a topic that needs to be tackled but the lack of balance on it and the general rethoric of late from irish media not just newstalk is crazy.

If it's not mem versus women then I am not sure why a wide spectrum of victims from both side of the sexes weren't selected.

Because far, far more women are abused by men, there's no balance in the number of men vs the number of women abused. And you do hear segments on current affairs show in which men come on and speak of their experiences. But men are also less likely to publicly declare they're abused.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They all must walk in to doors so. (In fairness I didn't hear this mornings piece)

Because far, far more women are abused by men, there's no balance in the number of men vs the number of women abused. And you do hear segments on current affairs show in which men come on and speak of their experiences. But men are also less likely to publicly declare they're abused.

From the texts coming in as a response to these segments it looks like there are a good few men out there that would come forward with it. Either poorly researched or not bothered.

Either way we want a society that takes it seriously but only part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Looks like Jonathan has taken over from Alison Curtis, breastfeeding and childbirth on the agenda :D:D

From the texts coming in as a response to these segments it looks like there are a good few men out there that would come forward with it. Either poorly researched or not bothered.

Either way we want a society that takes it seriously but only part of it.

I never said there were none. I don't see why people are getting the hump over it.

I never said there were none. I don't see why people are getting the hump over it.

I would assume its to do with the long stream of men are bastard agenda by the progressive liberal media of late.

If that's how you want to read into things, so be it.

"and NEVER judge".

Healy, of course, being the most judgmental person in broadcasting

If that's how you want to read into things, so be it.

I will indeed thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

How on earth is Jonathan Healy allowed to fill in for Pat? Hes awful!

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The only difference between them is their salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Shows the crippling shallowness of the Newstalk bench. Shane Coleman was the utility supersub but he's got a place in the first team now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

What is this sh*te that I'm listening to about post? Christ.

What is this sh*te that I'm listening to about post? Christ.

Seems silly season has set in. Come back Pat!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

An undignified week for Communicorp. Jonathan Healy and Alison Curtis. Sweet suffering Jesus! What miscreants run radio in Ireland these days.
    Seems silly season has set in. Come back Pat!

Awful is the word. Every time I switch over, his usual facetious dramatics.. nothing but populist, smart ar$e asides about anybody who isn't popular with the liberals. Like I said before, the guy needs to be taken away and given a lobotomy of his on air personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Awful is the word. Every time I switch over, his usual facetious dramatics.. nothing but populist, smart ar$e asides about anybody who isn't popular with the liberals. Like I said before, the guy needs to be taken away and given a lobotomy of his on air personality.

Peter

the ultimate dilemma, Paul Williams or Jonathan Healy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Marcusm wrote: »
    Peter

the ultimate dilemma, Paul Williams or Jonathan Healy?

There's a lot to be said for Lyric :):)

Marcusm wrote: »
    Peter..the ultimate dilemma, Paul Williams or Jonathan Healy?

The real question is why is the bar so low. Is it that hard to find presenters?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

Genuinely puzzled at the antipathy towards Healy...he is OK in this posters opinion ...and a lot better than most ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Genuinely puzzled at the antipathy towards Healy...he is OK in this posters opinion ...and a lot better than most ..

'better than most'? I'd be worried if that's the case. Listened today to a podcast of his interview with the documentary maker and fisherman about the plight of the Irish fishing industry. I left it as exacerbated as the interviewees sounded.

The sound logic put forward by the interviewees should have set the scene for those of a logical disposition. Healy, however, seemed to carry an agenda in to the interview on behalf of nobody in particular.

This for me is his failing. He purports to speak on behalf of somebody, who that somebody is is anyone's guess. I'm inclined to think it's on behalf of the massive chip he carries on his shoulder.

He'd be better served as a phone in host/patsy on local radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This is what comes to mind every time Healy starts into one of his oh-so-predictable sob stories...

Advertisement