Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus strike from Sunday 04/08 [called off - service resumes 07/08]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I'd imagine the unions would want to communicate them to their members first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The Dublin Bus employees are now about to go through another ballot soon after creating a new Labour Court clarification document with the unions & management.

They concluded the talks at around 5am this morning.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-proposals-due-after-all-night-dublin-bus-talks-conclude-1.1488155

Do they not publish these documents from the Labour Court online at all, No?
    I think there is a feeling in labour and employment circles that negotiating in public doesn't lend itself to honest broking so much as grandstanding and posturing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

fail this morning buses that are cancelled due to drivers voting' causing disruption in peak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

fail this morning buses that are cancelled due to drivers voting' causing disruption in peak

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

bus didn't turn up and the next driver said that is why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I hardly think that what a driver says is necessarily valid - no one is allowed off to vote - they would do it during their break, or at the start/end of their shift. That would be a diciplinerary offence.

I do like the way you way you suggest this is happening all over the place with your use of the plural term.

I would imagine that the explanation is something far simpler - defective bus or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭rx8

The voting is not happening until Thursday and Friday. Don't hold out much hope of it being accepted either. Could be back on the gate next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Bus didn't show up for me either, late in to work. Sick of Dublin Bus, it seems to be a regular occurance these days. You can't depend on the bus. This is at least the 4th occasion so far over the last few weeks that my bus route has got hit with no shows.

If you complain to DB, you get the standard copy and paste. What a joke of an operation.

Dublin Bus drivers to meet today: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/siptu-members-of-dublin-bus-to-vote-on-cost-saving-agreement-603362.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Not true, first they are not voting till thursday and friday and second no one is allowed time off to vote.

The 48 maximum working week is really the cause of the problem, DB used to work a system of standbys in the morning, people due to work later were allowed to come in early and if someone was sick or late they would get that persons work. If the early driver was late he would be offered the duty of the driver who got his duty if he was sick it gave the company time to find someone else to do the standby drivers original duty.

If everyone turned up the standby driver just went home and came back later for his own duty.
    However with the introduction of the 48 hour week, most mornings there is no one available to do this because the rest time restrictions etc, the company is understaffed so there are no spare drivers to do cover. So if someone is sick, running late there is no one to cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Polar101

That explains it, I also had to wait for the bus this morning as two scheduled departures never happened.. only the third bus showed up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They've been reduced substantially over the years.

No they are understaffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Makes a change from a few years ago, where new drivers started off as sparemen waiting in the depot for a duty.

Every new driver starts off as a spareman.
    There might have been 1 or 2 days a week that they had no duty but they nearly allways got you do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So when can we expect all this to be finished

Labour court recommendation rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

cdebru wrote: »

Round and round we go again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Completely crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

I would use stronger words, but then I'd be banned till the end of time :rolleyes:

I guess this means we can expect another strike?

• Advertisement

Completely crazy.

completely logical if the deal wasn't acceptable before, why would a worse deal be acceptable now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭brick tamland

From Sunday week apparently, just as the schools go back too

Cant see hem getting much else, seems stupid to me

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

completely logical if the deal wasn't acceptable before, why would a worse deal be acceptable now ?
    Because there won't be a better one? Or is there a sudden pot of money that people aren't aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

They just sacrificed long term stability for short term illusion of gain. Good, the service needs to improve and going partially private is the only way because of the unions and brainwashed workers.

Icepick wrote: »
    They just sacrificed short term illusion of gain for long term stability. Good, the service needs to improve and going partially private is the only way because of the unions and brainwashed workers.

what long term stability ? What short term gain ?

Who is brainwashed? Who is brainwashing them ?

ixoy wrote: »
    Because there won't be a better one? Or is there a sudden pot of money that people aren't aware of?

We will see if there a better one the current one is obviously not acceptable. If you keep bending over and taking it they will keep coming back for more till you say no.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

We will see if there a better one the current one is obviously not acceptable. If you keep bending over and taking it they will keep coming back for more till you say no.
    But again it comes to - what is acceptable? Is any cut acceptable? Because if it's not then you're going to end up striking a long time.
    I just wonder if DB workers are prepared to accept anything at all or see alternatives? In other places they won't eventually come back because there's nobody left to go back to because the company has folded. Don't let that be DB.

ixoy wrote: »
    But again it comes to - what is acceptable? Is any cut acceptable? Because if it's not then you're going to end up striking a long time.
    I just wonder if DB workers are prepared to accept anything at all or see alternatives? In other places they won't eventually come back because there's nobody left to go back to because the company has folded. Don't let that be DB.

Unfortunately there was no positive changes in the labour court rec for drivers, nothing. The unions apparently didn't even look for anything except clarification, for other grades there were changes made so it looks like they may accept the it.
    Where it goes from here who knows we will have to wait and see. Unfortunately a lot of drivers would be better off on social welfare so the threat of that is not that frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Unfortunately there was no positive changes in the labour court rec for drivers, nothing. The unions apparently didn't even look for anything except clarification, for other grades there were changes made so it looks like they may accept the it.
    Where it goes from here who knows we will have to wait and see. Unfortunately a lot of drivers would be better off on social welfare so the threat of that is not that frightening.

What kind of dream land are you living in?

• Advertisement

What kind of dream land are you living in?

do the maths

adult 188 a week
    dependant 124
    each child 29.80

plus rent allowance upto 1000 a month

2 adults 2 kids plus rent allowance, is over 30k a year, a bus driver is taking home about 28k

that is not counting medical card, back to school etc etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement