Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus strike from Sunday 04/08 [called off - service resumes 07/08]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Once they drive a bus, there's no going back on it.

A shame I think. The dispute is between the drivers and their management. Their customers have nothing to do with this.

I can't understand why any company would attack it's own customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

They aren't allowed to "Work to Rule." It's been mentioned either in this thread, or the one over in AH.

Cynics might say there's no danger of a work to rule in any part of the public sector because that might mean actually doing what they're paid for. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bmaxi wrote: »
    Cynics might say there's no danger of a work to rule in any part of the public sector because that might mean actually doing what they're paid for. :rolleyes:

ehm... yeah sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RTÉ News ‏@rtenews 1m
    Dublin Bus has said a full bus service will operate across the city tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Daemos wrote: »

They'll raise their fares again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Daemos wrote: »

There we go. This morning there was three sides at least stuck in this dispute. Now two sides are involved in the settlement.

What the fvck DB? Treat your customers poorly, treat the people who paid your subvention poorly, then swan off to meet up with the other vested interest to reach a settlement!

Do these people think we're thickos?

Boycott them!

Let every party affected be represented at the negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Why is it only restarting tomorrow? Surely they should restart at 6pm for the rest of the evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah the vehicles would all have to be fuelled and given a once over inspection, as well as getting the shift rotations back in order, no point rolling out a sporadic service and having people standing at stops not knowing if their particular bus was coming or not.

Sounds like Bus Eireann style conclusion is being reached, which is good news. Glad my private car will move more easily along the Quays in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

I think its a good time for a mod 2 close dis forum

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

The strike is only SUSPENDED while there in talks for some strange reason I don't think it over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

I think its 90% that the strike is over however i can can see an ie strike it the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

mhge wrote: »
    They'll raise their fares again :D

No way its far too expensive as it is :( I'll walk to work
    I managed ok today.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They did but GoBe had more of a connection to BE as they operate it for BE. Luas has nothing to do with CIE or DB.

Hopefully if they were to block the Luas lines, some Luas drivers might actually hit a few of them. :rolleyes:
    No inflammatory comments please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Happy to see them back and hope that something better can be arranged and a much fairer outcome.

Driver's, Inspectors, Clerical and Maintanance were all out together so not just the driver's they will be back on the job from 4.00 am onwards.

Best of luck to all the workers and hope things work out.

I hope this government notice worker's have had enough cuts and can't work for any less.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

This government has handled this very well if you ask me, we finally have a minister for transport who is happy to stand up to the CIE companies and unions rather than the previous ones under FF that seemed more like a Minister for CIE, giving them any money they wanted at any time.

Though if you go into talks saying you're not going to take any cut whatsoever than no offence, but the talks are going to be completely useless like they clearly have been the last 14 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

devnull wrote: »
    This government has handled this very well if you ask me, we finally have a minister for transport who is happy to stand up to the CIE companies, rather than the previous ones under FF that seemed more like a Minister for CIE, giving them any money they wanted at any time.

How?
    Leo was out of the country and said he was not getting involved or am I mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

How?
    Leo was out of the country and said he was not getting involved or am I mistaken.

I think that's the point. Govt doesn't jump to attention just because someone's gone out on strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

How?

No he was in the country..even fun running past the picket at Conyngham Road, he just stayed out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

How?

Politicians shouldn't be getting involved in labour disputes. That's why we have a Labour Court and the LRC. Separation of powers and all that.

As much as I can't stand Leo, he's handled this well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

One of the problems with CIE is that previous Governments got involved in disputes and threw money at the situation to keep everyone happy. I don't have any particular admiration for how LV has handled the situation because he was merely acting on the basis that the IMF are calling the shots now. The Troika are all over the books of this country. If DB employees get something out of these talks then it will be taken from somewhere else.

ax586 wrote: »

It's an opinion article by someone from the left, rather than anything factual.

There are several holes in it too, such as arguing that subsidy going down is a factor, but then admits in the same sentence that services and the fleet have been cut back too, it's right that the companies should not get paid the same amount for less work.

It also seems to suggest that the NTA were the ones who forced Dublin Bus to put the fares up, despite the fact Dublin Bus proposed the increases and seems we should just hand over money come what may, despite the fact that it happened in the past with no success and just wasted taxpayers money

Most of the points made in there have been done to death and they paint a very worst case scenario that could happen if private operators were allowed to play a bigger part, the whole article for large parts is looking more at things from the point of view of workers rather than public transport users.

There are problems that Dublin Bus have that are outside their control, without doubt, but not everything is outside their control and there are improvements that can and should be made, anyone who thinks that Dublin Bus is perfect must be using a different company to the one who drove me off the buses

I don't want a free for all private system like we have in cities in the UK outside London, that would not be desirable in Dublin, but I think competitive tendering could work well, as long as it's properly oversaw by the NTA. If it's oversaw by the NTA most of the negative things people speak about being possible, which are overplayed anyway, would not be allowed to happen.

devnull wrote: »
    It's an opinion article by someone from the left, rather than anything factual.

There are several holes in it too, such as arguing that subsidy going down is a factor, but then admits in the same sentence that services and the fleet have been cut back too, it's right that the companies should not get paid the same amount for less work.

But it did say the private companies would struggle too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Polar101

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I don't have any particular admiration for how LV has handled the situation because he was merely acting on the basis that the IMF are calling the shots now.

Yes, I don't think he did anything else except announce that he won't be doing anything about the strike. I could have done that for less money.

OK, so it did send a message that the government won't bail out DB, which might have been what some people expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That entire article is based on nothing more than a freaky economic surge (Celtic Tiger) and not on the reality of a country that has never and continues to be never aware of any kind of economic reality.

DB gained from the Celtic Tiger, no doubt, but it was literally a temporary thing. The entire CIE group is now right back to the way things have been since its inception. Any gains made during the good times were a false economy.

But it did say the private companies would struggle too

In the opinion of the writer - yes, but that is not a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Luas tracks to be blocked so I here.

Put the foot down and keep goin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So which schedule is being operated tomorrow, the old or new one?

And who pays for the losses in the meantime and the labour court fees? I doubt it'll be the staff who objected despite the union agreeing initially.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement