Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a book

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I read the Bourne books too, but much preferred the movies :)

I've just started Kafka and I love it! I'm only about 30 pages in :D

LenaClaire wrote: »
    I read the Bourne Identity books a few years ago (by Robert Ludlum), I thought they were much more interesting than the movies. They are more about cold war politics, due to when they were written, but I found them to be fun and fairly quick reads.

I've a bit of travelling coming up so I've downloaded the trilogy to keep me occupied :)

Candie wrote: »
    I've a bit of travelling coming up so I've downloaded the trilogy to keep me occupied :)

Half way through the first one, very entertaining :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Malari wrote: »
    I've just started Kafka and I love it! I'm only about 30 pages in :D

Ha ha! Me too.

You'll be finished way before me though. I'm slooooow.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Ha ha! Me too.

You'll be finished way before me though. I'm slooooow.

Don't read this spoiler unless you are squeamish and want to avoid something, but I got to the bit last night where
    the cat-catcher starts killing cats and had to skip over it completely and all I read was the last paragraph :eek::(

I'm really enjoying the read though :)

• Advertisement

I'll save that for later as I'm still practically at the start. 11% says my kindle. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I read Charity Norman's After the Fall recently and thought it was brilliant. So easy to pick up and put down mid-sentence but a gripping story nonetheless, perfect for a holiday read!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

The cocaine diaries. Makes for a good read, and might be a deterrent too.

Don't read this spoiler unless you are squeamish and want to avoid something, but I got to the bit last night where
    the cat-catcher starts killing cats and had to skip over it completely and all I read was the last paragraph :eek::(

I'm really enjoying the read though :)

I finished it last night. Jaysus!

Great read though. I love to be left pondering!

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I finished it last night. Jaysus!

Great read though. I love to be left pondering!

Oh, I have about 20 pages left, looking forward to seeing how he ends it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. She is the woman who wrote 'Gone Girl'. I liked Gone Girl but this book is way better IMO.

"The Woods" or "Six Years" by Harlan Colben I've been enjoying his books lately.

Oh, I have about 20 pages left, looking forward to seeing how he ends it!

I did as well, that's why I stayed up til 1.50am. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gnilhsa

I love a bit of lesely pearse, more so her older stuff! Just finished Annie's girl by Maureen coppinger, a true story about a young irish orphan who tries to find her birth mother, really well written!

Must get myself a kindle thing, spent 20euro on my last book!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gnilhsa wrote: »
    Must get myself a kindle thing, spent 20euro on my last book!!!

The last ebook I bought cost me 28 Euro. Just because its in electronic format- doesn't mean its any cheaper than the physical paper book. Apparently Apple are in trouble in the US over colluding with publishers to keep ebook prices artificially high- it was in the news a little while back. If you are buying a Kindle- don't imagine you're going to save yourself a fortune on books- you're not.

Have you read Big Brother Malari? I might line that one up.
    You can let me know how it goes :)

Aha, I forgot about this thread!

I eventually read Big Brother and loved it! I really must get the rest of Lionel Shriver's books, the writing is amazing. It really makes you think long after you've finished reading.

Aha, I forgot about this thread!

I eventually read Big Brother and loved it! I really must get the rest of Lionel Shriver's books, the writing is amazing. It really makes you think long after you've finished reading.

I read it too, and loved it too. I agree, like all of Shrivers work that I've read, it stays with you.

I've got 'The Female Of The Species' lined up, looking forward to it. :)

Advertisement