Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a book

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I myself love an oul' Supernatural or Fantasy Fiction series. My top suggestions for anyone like-minded would be:

If you like fantasy stuff you might like the 1632 Series by Eric Flint - it is a "what if" sort of story about a modern town being transplanted into 1632 Germany. Really interesting in terms of how history would have changed and stuff.

For SciFi I really like David Weber's Honor Harrington series about a woman who is climbing the ranks in a future space navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

LenaClaire wrote: »
    If you like fantasy stuff you might like the 1632 Series by Eric Flint - it is a "what if" sort of story about a modern town being transplanted into 1632 Germany. Really interesting in terms of how history would have changed and stuff.

For SciFi I really like David Weber's Honor Harrington series about a woman who is climbing the ranks in a future space navy.

That sounds really interesting. I'll look it up on Amazon. Thanks! :D

LenaClaire wrote: »

Not so much fantasy, but Robert Harris' Fatherland is a great book, set in a '70's Britain where Hitler has won WW2. He's also the author of Enigma, a fictionalised but accurately detailed account of how the recovery of the German encoding machine helped British intelligence in the last stages of WW2, another very enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I myself love an oul' Supernatural or Fantasy Fiction series. My top suggestions for anyone like-minded would be:

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin (5 books and counting...)
    The TV show Game of Thrones is based on this series.

I've been reading this on and off. I started after getting into the TV show and as it's not been on I needed to get my Game of Thrones fix :) Really enjoying it.

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    I've been reading this on and off. I started after getting into the TV show and as it's not been on I needed to get my Game of Thrones fix :) Really enjoying it.

It's ridiculously good. I'm currently on A Dance with Dragons Part 1. I can't put it down. I've been bringing it to work and everything. Almost got caught reading by the boss. Oops! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

The Otherworld Series by Kelley Armstrong (13 books)
    Great for anyone into Murder/Mystery as well. Most of her characters (the majority are female) are somehow involved in solving crimes, they just happen to be Supernaturals. AWESOME! You can't go wrong! biggrin.png

Hmmm, I read a book by her called Industrial Magic. Are there rest of the books similar? I couldn't really finish that book to be honest.

I'd recommend, keeping fantasy in mind, anything by Robbin Hobb and also the Kim Harrison series. She writes excellent character dynamics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Candie wrote: »
    Not so much fantasy, but Robert Harris' Fatherland is a great book, set in a '70's Britain where Hitler has won WW2. He's also the author of Enigma, a fictionalised but accurately detailed account of how the recovery of the German encoding machine helped British intelligence in the last stages of WW2, another very enjoyable read.

Fatherland got me in to reading alternative histories and reading Cloud Atlas got me in to reading fantasy dystopian futures.

I recommended this before, Making love a memoir by Tom Ingles is a beautiful book I gave it to my daughter on Monday and she read it in two sittings and she loved it as well.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Fatherland got me in to reading alternative histories and reading Cloud Atlas got me in to reading fantasy dystopian futures.

I recommended this before, Making love a memoir by Tom Ingles is a beautiful book I gave it to my daughter on Monday and she read it in two sittings and she loved it as well.

Have you read The Yiddish Policemans' Union? Set in the post-war Jewish homeland of Alaska :)

It's like an old black and white alternative history gangster crime movie in a novel :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mariaalice wrote: »

I came at this from a different direction- I was more into the sci-fi aspect of it all- and got hooked on alternate histories, after Philip K Dick's book- Man in a High Castle.

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Hmmm, I read a book by her called Industrial Magic. Are there rest of the books similar? I couldn't really finish that book to be honest.

I'd recommend, keeping fantasy in mind, anything by Robbin Hobb and also the Kim Harrison series. She writes excellent character dynamics :)

Yeah Industrial Magic is the fifth book of that series. The fourth and fifth books are told from the same person's perspective but there are six female characters that have books told from their PoV.
    The first book was written as a stand alone book but then the publishers asked her if she'd do a series. Each book after the first one eventually all tie in together and characters cross-over and such.

The fourth and fifth are the weakest in the series IMO. But then again, I wasn't such a fan of that character. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭xgwishyx

I ditto the Robin Hobb suggestion, especially the Farseer Trilogy.

I'll also thrown in a recommendation for Tamara Pierce, I originally read The Song of the Lioness series when I was a young teen but at the ripe old age of 28 I still enjoy them. A light (dare I say) girly fantasy series, featuring strong female leads, certainly had a strong influence on me in my impressional days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

You fantasy fans should read The Magicians by Lev Grossman. It's one of those "teenager finds out he's a wizard and goes to wizard school" books. But it's written by someone who knows being a teenager involves smoking, drinking and shagging and how if you're a really powerful magician you have your own set of teenage fun to have. It's quite a dark book.

The Dresden Files series of books by Jim Butcher have a wizard paranormal investigator as the eponymous hero and are highly rated on Goodreads. I haven't read any yet, but fantasy/paranormal fans might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Dolbert wrote: »
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami is one of my favourites, it really stayed with me for ages.

Murakami is by some distance my favourite writer. I recommend him to all my friends. No other writer has moved me in the way he has. His capacity to put the reader in to the heart of the story in unparalleled. Read anything you can get your hands on by him, perhaps 'After Dark' is a good start point as it is one of his lighter volumes.

The Dresden Files series of books by Jim Butcher have a wizard paranormal investigator as the eponymous hero and are highly rated on Goodreads. I haven't read any yet, but fantasy/paranormal fans might be interested.

My brother gave me the first three for Christmas a few years back and I really enjoyed them. I need to hunt down a few more in the series.

My brother gave me the first three for Christmas a few years back and I really enjoyed them. I need to hunt down a few more in the series.

Their pretty cheap on book depository (5-6 euro), and there's free delivery. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Aidric wrote: »
    Murakami is by some distance my favourite writer. I recommend him to all my friends. No other writer has moved me in the way he has. His capacity to put the reader in to the heart of the story in unparalleled. Read anything you can get your hands on by him, perhaps 'After Dark' is a good start point as it is one of his lighter volumes.

Me too, I love Murakami.

I haven't even read all of his stuff either, and I actually have After Dark, as well as Kafka on the Shore lined up on my shelf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle was the first of his that I read, after that I was hooked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Dolbert wrote: »
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle was the first of his that I read, after that I was hooked :)

Me too! It blew my mind. :) I've yet to get round to reading IQ84, have you read it? A lot of diehard fans don't consider Norwegian Wood to be typical Murakami and consequently don't rate it but it's actually one of my favourites too. He's so talented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Oh, wonderful! Other Murakami fans. I love how he blends the utterly bizarre with the banal. 'Dance Dance Dance' is my favourite of his, so far. It's a sort of follow up to 'A Wild Sheep Chase' but it's not really necessary to have read that first. I liked 'Norwegian Wood' but did find it to be quite different to his other work.

I've read Book 1 of IQ84 and loved it, but haven't gotten around to the rest yet. It's on my 'to read' list along with a few more of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »

I tried a Robin Hobb book and could not finish it. It was the first book in the Soldier Son trilogy and I found it quite boring in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Malari wrote: »
    Me too, I love Murakami.

I haven't even read all of his stuff either, and I actually have After Dark, as well as Kafka on the Shore lined up on my shelf!

Good to see so many other Murakami fans. :)

Kafka is my favourite of his so far. I purchased 1Q84 recently but at 1318 pages it's a daunting task. Nonetheless looking forward to getting stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Good to see so many other Murakami fans. :)

Kafka is my favourite of his so far. I purchased 1Q84 recently but at 1318 pages it's a daunting task. Nonetheless looking forward to getting stuck in.

It's good, I really enjoyed IQ84!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

http://www.amazon.com/The-Emperor-All-Maladies-Biography/dp/1439170916

The emperor of all maladies

It's a biography of cancer but an amazing read.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oscars Mum

Just finished THE ROSE PETAL BEACH and it was amazing!!

I tried a Robin Hobb book and could not finish it. It was the first book in the Soldier Son trilogy and I found it quite boring in parts.

Yeah, I have heard those complaints about that series. I liked it, but each to their own :)

You could give her Live ship Trilogy a go? It's less a memoir of one character and more a many viewpoint book?

Although, she will make you absolutely hate characters that your reading, and there are graphic scenes of abuse against women. So, you know, thought I'd put in a trigger warning there.

Has anyone any recommendations for adventure/thriller type novels, other than the likes of Clive Cussler?

I'm looking for some escapism, so something fairly lightweight would be okay. I just read The Snow Leopard by Peter Mathiesson, which was brilliant but not really a light read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ViveLaVie wrote: »

Yeah soldier son isn't great
    The assassin one is great, the dragon ones are great, and liveship
    Maybe go with either of the latter two as a contrast, since assassin is still first person guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Has anyone any recommendations for adventure/thriller type novels, other than the likes of Clive Cussler?

I'm looking for some escapism, so something fairly lightweight would be okay. I just read The Snow Leopard by Peter Mathiesson, which was brilliant but not really a light read.

I picked up a James Patterson once. Light quick read. Chapters very small. Pretty entertaining. You'll read one in an hour and half though.

• Advertisement

I read the Bourne Identity books a few years ago (by Robert Ludlum), I thought they were much more interesting than the movies. They are more about cold war politics, due to when they were written, but I found them to be fun and fairly quick reads.

Advertisement