Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a book

Options
  • 28-07-2013 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey!

I'm heading on holidays shortly & wanna buy a good book to read. I'm not a book person so would like your recommendations! Nothing too serious/politics. Something that can either make me laugh or cry or a true story :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'The Other Hand' by Chris Cleave is a good read.
    It's been out a few years, but I'd never heard of it. In keeping with the author's request, I won't say what happens, but it is an eye opener into the world of some refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Gone Girl - a good holiday read!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Im reading Mr.nice by Howard Marks right now and im really enjoying it. It reads like a novel, very well written and its a true story! Would make a great holiday read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

"Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes. Meatier than chick lit, but light enough to fly through on holidays. Also it's an excellent book.

And I second Gone Girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

The Help by Katherine Stockett - really great read. You'll fly through it, but it's a seriously good story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think Game of Thrones has some nice and fluffy stuff. ;)

I do very little reading lately but I liked some of the John Banville novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

The Book Thief- Markus Zusak.

An amazing book.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If you want something to make you cry or at least think then I'd recommened "Room" by Emma Donoghue. Brilliant book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Would third 'Gone girl' and I love anything by Dorothy Koomson- always a twist in her books!

My favourite book of all times and its an oldish one is 'Suzannah's Diary for Nicholas' ...by James Patterson... Amazing book

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Another lighter holiday read is 'The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared' by Jonas Jonasson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

To cry to A walk to remember by Nicholas sparks

My sisters keeper Jodi Pinchot

To laugh to
    The shopolic books or how to kill your husband . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I really like Colin Bateman. He's irreverent and very funny. The Mystery Man novels are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It's actually YA but I bawled so much reading it that I'd to change my pyjama top. "The Fault in our Stars" really thumped me in the feels but was pretty rewarding.

"The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao" was great too, though it's a few years since I read it.

"Tigers in Red Weather" was super, really, really good.

If you're looking at Irish fiction, Donal Ryan's "The Spinning Heart" is short but good.

+1s for "Gone Girl" and "100 Year Old Man..." above.

Carlos Ruís Zafón's books are also superb.

Have fun!!

Blush_01 wrote: »
    "The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao" was great too, though it's a few years since I read it.

I loved this too but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it to someone who isn't a big reader, it's quite dense.

Like Water for Chocolate is beautiful and short.

Alexander McCall Smith's novels are lovely too and real page turners.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Alexander McCall Smith's novels are lovely too and real page turners.

I'd second this. The Mma Ramotswa books are very true to life in Botswana too. His descriptions of places and people and personalities are right on the money

Trying to think of some of my own recommendations. I saw The Book Thief being recommended earlier. Wouldn't agree for a light reader. I found it very hard to get into myself.

Do you have a specific type of book that you're into?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

The Sea by John Banville - wonderful book.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭nitros7

Im reading Mr.nice by Howard Marks right now and im really enjoying it. It reads like a novel, very well written and its a true story! Would make a great holiday read.

Defo Agree
    This was a brilliant read.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

'What I loved' by Siri Hustvedt. Read it on my hols, loved it, didnt want it to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini had me lying on a beach on Thailand with snot running down my face - it's so sad. It is such a powerful book, you'll be absolutely glued.

I just finished After the Fall by Charity Norman and would recommend it. So easy to read and you'll fly through it. The kind of book where you can stop reading mid-sentence and easily pick it back up again, perfect between sea dips and cocktails :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Audrey Niffeneger's The Time Traveler's Wife. The movie was so-so, the book was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Merkin wrote: »
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini had me lying on a beach on Thailand with snot running down my face - it's so sad. It is such a powerful book, you'll be absolutely glued.

Absolutely recommend this....read it two months ago and I'm still thinking about it. It's easy to read but at the same time makes you realise how lucky you have it as a western born woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 stones55

Thanks for all the replies..too much choice now! Think il be getting more than one..:-)

A Thousand Splendid Suns is amazing! I couldn't believe it was written by a man. So so sad though, I'm not sure I'd bring it on holiday- I'd be crying into my cocktail...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I just finished After the Fall by Charity Norman and would recommend it. So easy to read and you'll fly through it. The kind of book where you can stop reading mid-sentence and easily pick it back up again, perfect between sea dips and cocktails :)

I loved the Kite Runner so much by him, ive got that book lined up to read.
    I hated Gone Girl, it was horrible, i wouldnt reccomend it at all.

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I loved the Kite Runner so much by him, ive got that book lined up to read.
    I hated Gone Girl, it was horrible, i wouldnt reccomend it at all.

I loved the Kite Runner as well. You know he's just released a new one as well? It's still hardcover though so shall have to wait for it's release in paperback. I've heard great things!

Gone Girl is an absolute cringe-fest. It is probably one of the most badly written books I've ever encountered but I also found it hugely entertaining. I wouldn't rate it at all on literary merit but for a holiday would highly recommend it as it's quite a gripping and entertaining story if you can get past the poor quality writing.

I loved the Kite Runner as well. You know he's just released a new one as well? It's still hardcover though so shall have to wait for it's release in paperback. I've heard great things!

Gone Girl is an absolute cringe-fest. It is probably one of the most badly written books I've ever encountered but I also found it hugely entertaining. I wouldn't rate it at all on literary merit but for a holiday would highly recommend it as it's quite a gripping and entertaining story if you can get past the poor quality writing.

Finally someone who agrees with me.
    I might try get that book on my Kindle

It's called And the Mountains Echoed - enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Gone Girl is an absolute cringe-fest. It is probably one of the most badly written books I've ever encountered but I also found it hugely entertaining.

Ah, sh!te anyway, I just bought it recently!

It's called And the Mountains Echoed - enjoy! :)

I just got it for £0.99 on Amazon :D

• Advertisement

Ah, sh!te anyway, I just bought it recently!

Read it! You'll still enjoy it because you'll be sucked in by the story. The writing style is quite grating though so once you get over that you will be fine.

Advertisement