Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a book

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I just got it for £0.99 on Amazon :D

:eek:

For the Kindle presumably? On to Amazon I go! Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Merkin wrote: »
    :eek:

For the Kindle presumably? On to Amazon I go! Cheers :)

Yea for the Kindle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Ah, sh!te anyway, I just bought it recently!

I'm about a quarter of the way through it and I'm loving it so far. I was delighted to see that the hype was justified, for once.

Different strokes for different folk.

vitani wrote: »
    I'm about a quarter of the way through it and I'm loving it so far. I was delighted to see that the hype was justified, for once.

Different strokes for different folk.

Yea everybody is different, thats why its so hard to reccomend books to people. My tastes have changed over the years too. Ive gone from chic flic to really dark crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I haven't read a thriller in quite a while so I am still looking forward to it. Sometimes a strong storyline can make up for poor writing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Anyone who liked the Kite Runner would love Half of a Yellow Sun.

Great story!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mists of Avalon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

When I finished reading the last page of Kite Runner, I was in a bar in Amsterdam.
    I closed the book, lit a cigarette, took a sip of my pint and then the tears came. Only a few books have reduced me to sobs but the Kite Runner shattered me. Amazing book.

But if you want something hysterically funny to read I would recommend McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Absolutely hate Gone Girl too, couldnt believe it made the NY times bestseller list! It got fired off the wall when i finished it!

Shantaram, Gregory David Robert, its nearly 10 years old but a book i find myself reaching for and re-reading over and again.

Beach Music, Pat Conroy, another oldie even older than above! Conroy is an amazing writer who literally helps you to smell, taste and see the world he writes about,i fell in love with Italy because of him.

+1 on anything from Dorothy Koomson, she's fantastic and i love her twists as i never see them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Blush_01 wrote: »
    It's actually YA but I bawled so much reading it that I'd to change my pyjama top. "The Fault in our Stars" really thumped me in the feels but was pretty rewarding.

"The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao" was great too, though it's a few years since I read it.

"Tigers in Red Weather" was super, really, really good.

If you're looking at Irish fiction, Donal Ryan's "The Spinning Heart" is short but good.

+1s for "Gone Girl" and "100 Year Old Man..." above.

Carlos Ruís Zafón's books are also superb.

Have fun!!

I love him. Can't recommend The Shadow Of The Wind enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    A Thousand Splendid Suns is amazing! I couldn't believe it was written by a man. So so sad though, I'm not sure I'd bring it on holiday- I'd be crying into my cocktail...

What's so good about this book? I couldn't get past 50 pages it was so dull and artless.

I'm going to recommend Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre because it's bloody hilarious and All the Pretty Horses because it's an accessible (for Cormac McCarthy), lyrical, touching and profound read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Blush_01 wrote: »
    It's actually YA but I bawled so much reading it that I'd to change my pyjama top. "The Fault in our Stars" really thumped me in the feels but was pretty rewarding.

+1. Started it in JFK & finished it on the flight home, absolutely loved it & may have shed a tear or ten as everyone else around me slept.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This is a great thread - I'm always looking for good books to buy for my kindle so I love reading the reviews on all of your suggestions on amazon and then deciding which ones to buy - shantaram sounds really good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

The Help is a brilliant book, I would definitely recommend it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

MonicaBing wrote: »
    Shantaram, Gregory David Robert, its nearly 10 years old but a book i find myself reaching for and re-reading over again.

Wow can't believe you reread Shantaram...it's over 1000 pages long right? Although I can't talk, I've read A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth four times now!!

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    What's so good about this book? I couldn't get past 50 pages it was so dull and artless.

I thought it was beautiful- really developed the characters and made me care about them. I also thought it gave a rich picture of Afgan life and culture. Also thought the plot was really nicely done. To be fair if you only got 50 pages in you didn't really give it a chance- you didn't even meet some of the most interesting characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I thought it was beautiful- really developed the characters and made me care about them. I also thought it gave a rich picture of Afgan life and culture. Also thought the plot was really nicely done. To be fair if you only got 50 pages in you didn't really give it a chance- you didn't even meet some of the most interesting characters.

If a book hasn't grabbed me by 50 pages then I don't think there's any point on wasting my time on the rest. Most of my favourite books grabbed my with the very first sentence. Some really good books don't let go until you've got to the back page. So, really, I did give it a chance but perhaps I'm not the target audience of the book

Wow can't believe you reread Shantaram...it's over 1000 pages long right? Although I can't talk, I've read A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth four times now!!

A suitable boy is my favourite book. Its very long though so I didnt recommend it here
    Ive read it about 10 times

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    A suitable boy is my favourite book. Its very long though so I didnt recommend it here
    Ive read it about 10 times

Argh! It's my favourite book too! Have you read The Golden Gate by the same author? It's amazing! It's inspired by Eugene Onegin and is written in verse. I met his brother in India and he told me that the character of Haresh is based on their father and he based Amit on himself. He didn't say but from meeting him and hanging out with him for a few days the brother reminded me of Dipankar. Anyway, totally off topic, just got a bit excited there!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

Merkin wrote: »
    It's called And the Mountains Echoed - enjoy! :)

I have read all Khaled Hosseini's books and I didnt really like 'And The Mountains Echoed' as much as the other two...
    I think 'A thousand splendid suns' is his best book :) There were lots of tears at the end though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I adored Shantaram, have read it a few times, was obsessed with it when I got it. Not sure for a holiday due to the physical size of it in your bag, but on a Kindle, it'd top my list.

Im going to try Shantaram :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bluebell27

Love this thread. Have added lots of the suggestions to my to read list on goodreads!

I second the recommendation for The book thief- I didn't want it to end. The fault in our stars is also great- I couldn't put it down and finished it in an evening. You will absolutley need tissues though! Ridiculously sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I've read a few really good books lately,

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, a real page turner and a tear jerker.

What Have I Done by Amanda Prowse, a story of domestic violence and how one woman got her life back, a brilliant read, but, it ended at 87% on the kindle. It really disappointed me because I thought I had loads to read yet! But in hindsight, that really was the end, there was nothing more to write about.

Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes, another domestic violence story, absolutely brilliant. Very gripping and the tears flowed! It's told from two angles, the past and the present, so it takes a wee while to get to grips with that.

I really didn't like The Hundred Year Old Man....it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Watch Over Me by Daniela Sacerdoti, again a tear jerker, a really lovely story.

I watched the movie Safe Haven on the way home from NY and I cried buckets, is the book a good read can anyone tell me?

i reckon for a good holiday read try 'one day' by david nicholls i think!
    read it years ago, i havent seen the film and i wont because i heard terrible things about it.
    but if your not a big book reader, this is very easy reading and i have to say im not usually into 'rom coms' ( for want of a better word!) but a very easy good read!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've read a few really good books lately,

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, a real page turner and a tear jerker.

What Have I Done by Amanda Prowse, a story of domestic violence and how one woman got her life back, a brilliant read, but, it ended at 87% on the kindle. It really disappointed me because I thought I had loads to read yet! But in hindsight, that really was the end, there was nothing more to write about.

Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes, another domestic violence story, absolutely brilliant. Very gripping and the tears flowed! It's told from two angles, the past and the present, so it takes a wee while to get to grips with that.

I really didn't like The Hundred Year Old Man....it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Watch Over Me by Daniela Sacerdoti, again a tear jerker, a really lovely story.

I watched the movie Safe Haven on the way home from NY and I cried buckets, is the book a good read can anyone tell me?

We have very similar tastes :D. I've read three of those, and I think I've at least one more on my Kindle.

Into The Darkest Corner genuinely scared the hell out of me. I started reading it on a ferry late one night, and couldn't go to the bathroom by myself because I was too scared :o. I ended up staying up nearly all night reading it, and resuming it the minute I woke up. It's a very good book, but it's distressing. I found it very realistic. I was irritated by her OCD to begin with, but once you put yourself in her shoes, you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I just funished the bronze horseman series by paullina Simons and really enjoyed it. It's a love story set in Leningrad during the siege and was really interesting to learn about as I hadn't really read many books set in Russia or really understood the impact of the siege the city.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for love stories set during one of the world wars? I am really in the mood to read more in the genre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good recommendations for love stories set during one of the world wars? I am really in the mood to read more in the genre!

Atonement by Ian McEwan is partially set during WW2 (as in, a good hunk of the book apart from the first part is set during the war). It's well written but not a very happy read though, so be warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

ShazGV wrote: »
    Atonement by Ian McEwan is partially set during WW2 (as in, a good hunk of the book apart from the first part is set during the war). It's well written but not a very happy read though, so be warned!

The Innocent by McEwan is also excellent.

Its set in Berlin after WWII, at the start of the Cold War.

So not strictly WWII, but incredibly enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Faith wrote: »
    We have very similar tastes :D. I've read three of those, and I think I've at least one more on my Kindle.

Into The Darkest Corner genuinely scared the hell out of me. I started reading it on a ferry late one night, and couldn't go to the bathroom by myself because I was too scared :o. I ended up staying up nearly all night reading it, and resuming it the minute I woke up. It's a very good book, but it's distressing. I found it very realistic. I was irritated by her OCD to begin with, but once you put yourself in her shoes, you get it.

Elizabeth Haynes is fantastic, I'm reading Human Remains at the moment, excellent stuff

Another recommendation would be The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce

Advertisement