Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Cool Ill give it a go thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭TheInspector

vibe666 wrote: »
    here's the ad-blocking script from my router.

i have it in the "WAN Up" script section of the router config, so to refresh it (which takes a couple of minutes) all I need to do is release and renew the WAN IP for a couple of seconds from the main config page to reload it, which is handy.

you can also edit it with a few options like using a static image in place of ads so you can see what is actually getting blocked instead of them just being missing and that kind of thing, but I don't bother.

I use the tomato firmware on a linksys e3000, not dd-wrt so yours may be slightly different, but as far as i know it also has an option for adding various scripts, so it *should* work but i'd follow the url at the top of the script (http://goo.gl/mhykQ) to the forum thread about it if i were you, just to confirm before you try it.
    ## ALL-U-NEED Ad Blocking v3.9e
    ## http://goo.gl/mhykQ
    ## Original script by YAQUI
    ## Updated by ~nephelim~, Syl, jochen, groosh, ng12345, ray123, mstombs
    ## base64 decoder by Danny Chouinard's

sleep 10

ADB="/tmp/ADBLOCK.sh"
    {
    cat <<'ENDF' >$ADB
    #!/bin/sh

OPTIMISE="Y"
    GETS="1 2 3 4 5 6"
    TRIM_BEGIN=1
    S1="http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt"
    S2="http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/serverlist.php?hostformat=hosts&mimetype=plaintext"
    S3="http://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.asp"
    S4="http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt"
    S5="http://sysctl.org/cameleon/hosts"
    S6="http://hosts-file.net/hphosts-partial.asp"

USEWHITELIST="Y" # N/Y/R for remote
    WURL="http://example.com/whitelist.txt"
    WHITE="intel.com""facebook.com"
    BLACK="realmedia.channel4.com" "216.120.238.16"

USEPIXELSERV="N"
    PXL_IP=192.168.1.2
    PXL_EXE="/tmp/pixelserv"
    PXL_URL="http://example.com/pixelserv"

UPLOAD="N"
    FTP_SERVER="example.com"
    FTP_USER=""
    FTP_PASS=""
    FTP_PORT=21
    FTP_PATH="/gen"

ADD_CONF="N"
    USEHOSTS="N"
    ROUTER="Y"

NIP="0.0.0.0"

ENDF
    }

UPDATE="Y"
    AUP() {
    if [[ "$UPDATE" == "Y" ]] ; then
    if [[ "$(cru l | grep AdUpd | cut -d '#' -f2)" != "AdUpd" ]] ; then
    cru a AdUpd "0 4 * * * $ADB"
    fi
    fi
    }

#### DO NOT EDIT BELOW ####

b64="openssl enc -base64 -d"
    [[ "$(echo WQ==|$b64)" != "Y" ]] && b64="b64" 

b64(){
    awk 'BEGIN{b64="ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789+/"}
    {for(i=1;i<=length($0);i++){c=index(b64,substr($0,i,1));if(c--)
    for(b=0;b<6;b++){o=o*2+int(c/32);c=(c*2)%64;if(++obc==8){if(o)
    {printf"%c",o}else{system("echo -en \"\\0\"")}obc=o=0}}}}';}

{
    cat <<'ENDF'| $b64 |gunzip >>$ADB
    H4sIAJn5fk4CA61Xe2/aSBD/359iuvHFkKsx5Jq7KtSRCI+ASgCBc+kpJBG1F1gV
    bGo7j17od7/ZWRsMJG2kXpMq693Zmd+8Zyv9s4Gt72ln9Y7NrHi+sCbcZ5pz3ks+
    Yz5fMK3a7TSSDTfwx0xrdgfOINmZBlEcMe2y0WrXk62HqYg50/CfGMPVFegVlANv
    bCjC9TUsl3KP6blFBEuYhHwBJgfDNCVvI90y/OBz4H0z8gxsGxjDm2WIp9zXwjmY
    Y9ARc2HuHWU/Z6Mo1sZCCq62+7k8PGVO0yUqly6lXuma8Gvf5d3epzbdVeCZfjGo
    91qf6u1Bvf+3QvNPBo6iegPmI+h487b+qb4+fJjwGMzu+oQWF/225k7ngQe/ry9J
    4GIsbSAm8DksHhfVUau3ApJbCC8Yw0I88lnEw/sd22zJafXA9CWvMkQzjkYtQRnk
    VYAvYjYDc9A6uxj0S7DLuQwE55VytVkwmfAQKrXTdrf6Eer9frd/DO7I94MYongU
    xuvbmvyj8fvRDFin1bMTqEwaAH/JBZ0qeeCiU6s37KI2DkIQIHzpSGdQBi8AxeAu
    nNlsqA90wUDrlWw9x91pADruLyHiHhjR8mYax4ur6Prg2LKubqzrg2HOKhwM8/py
    WFoaea3582vDnLqYx4vpNYnpUWIqwSH8ITFpsZjzlBeGNGvWKzX0RAmajtOzSoXS
    MBz6TcyXY9Cb9FENfJ+7sQh8tNYsiLjcZEvNd8F8gCNJBu+LS5UkAtoY4OZ54Imx
    4N7xMg7B9IANQ5YnX6GrJAQmU016JwmKzyEffSGHeoHPNyntDUpl7xLRKotIqpMT
    yi6fPygGioNOxKjnV7RAymArGYmRIs9up+TaeU3aHrM4upuvj5fuXUyK4Y85LuUB
    6Q636BDMLlmiGXJViuHqcKXcVowegx+AOx35Ex5BJHyXA0GTCr8F/ihi4U8K2eoi
    9Zf7SZzO77MnmQJEAez0W+cUwjKaTIH1TYus4R6Gj2Xh6qZ0+NewUKTf0hUM4+sD
    2lfLhOb4OHs0C9zRTBZbeWrd6JZnqGJG8moDkrabKDt5Iq1EZUlGu6xNJpbcdSTB
    CXGFjeqmCzAnHA9Qq9vT+lmrsy45cg/I0e4oVndPTlTF3ba4lKiy/4f1IgWnpRGr
    LDpwcvknDIWjzVDYDoMEcqZFyKazv0964G0ZGXqOsCbneVLmF4IEm02ZvpLSRpmD
    ok5WTSqta+3LprPdWy6bLafebg2c3d4i3RlhLyWPEh0aJAkpYFZatiTJUpUta1iw
    hvh/YuQtjyk3kA357GWR/UwHWYfHJbap5+ODeiW8kFbU/GciSjikaGWLTxIAVplg
    qO0kmFUL3tBZ+YkO8r+g+msibhu3ynKSwvTTdqX6kUEqKUnLoY/C1F6iQxr55Oxu
    b9PX+N06bw3qu37etmEUhDKygGarQqGQDReavXZZyCtg3oEZqBwkGKT56OELmA0w
    CgYYlLtP3T4Ob+z7E5o6J+xOoyxOimVhmvlFKHzUX7A9VlZrhu3ou6ESTYpYrtjt
    bbEre4CQfkO2YpwTvscfc3rxrZd/Y5f29zuNN3Yx/+TZejFhrJsmCtYUBFpvgmAF
    possCEShSpN0y7bByFBkNu4VMtV5ZQlySLWjHOJ0HawhD9hjZ/CBzvO7tQqJgPtx
    KHikbjec3kVvM3l77W6l9tJIyPR+98Kp959J63ixuCNv6cj0Fp3aB3OhPnqVwQDM
    XvLR7TtqJWdPpEpInGbGv777v/HLTGCNWmdwvl2qXog9d5GWWxxYJEky3f757l26
    kakCOFotDR0nP5z1jWfOSwKbY6GIPyVYNb0VIamcUEtWciAbeV7Io8i29i3FeGms
    9FFlt9o4e50uQF3M4rFreX40H0VfC3Ikp8Sm54I8Tj/gw4d6t6GheN+kCLTXLyJN
    nhDYlxlmIVZqtW2QuHUrxTwD8hV6qAEbedqElWXHbtpF6TRzrzRqnCUKeVN3YY7u
    4mkQingUi3uphDvlZiT+5fZh8d17mS7mKPrmu/YRabqy9Gn7YzL3hPcC+2WiND4C
    gsVrYKf06jlojsWMKwUU/mePs3Zs0CBEFlq/L43k2s7rElKx2+mfyhERhHe+j8X4
    R20Eo0++cWTJTp2MRTtZrqDhmCDflvJ1g/OaHGhoHpBlSfYK+ktFRvtpBaHspLBO
    AocMj8rT81cK0v4De76CG9wPAAA=
    ENDF
    }

chmod 775 $ADB
    $ADB
    AUP

I also have an entry in DNSmasq to assign specific DNS servers to the now TV.

just replace XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX with the MAC address of your nowTV(s) for iplayer etc.

remove any unused extra lines, or add new ones as required depending on your number of devices and any DNS requests from devices in the list (but only those devices) will get sent to the DNS servers of your choice. the ones listed there are for unblock-us, but change them to whatever you prefer using.

this will not affect DNS requests for any other device on your network, so you can keep using your regular DNS for other hosts.
    # Assign alternate DNS for select hosts
    # Set Specific Clients to be affected
    dhcp-mac=set:altdns,XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX #PC 1
    dhcp-mac=set:altdns,YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY #PC 2

# Set Alternate DNS
    dhcp-option=tag:altdns,option:dns-server,208.122.23.22,208.122.23.23

Anyone know or tried this with the silly invention that is the UPC Horizon box?
    Would love to cut out the ads a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Anyone know or tried this with the silly invention that is the UPC Horizon box?
    Would love to cut out the ads a little bit.

Does it have a section to add scripts in the router config page?

It unfortunately didn't work on my DD-WRT, I modified it and stuck specific iptable rules into the firewall to try and block the ip's for 4OD, no change for me anyway in terms of ad's.

I don't have the option to run a wan style script.

Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I have a Roku lt box. (Not a nowtv) does anyone know if it is possible to load Nowtv on to it so I can watch the Ryder cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Swampy wrote: »
    I have a Roku lt box. (Not a nowtv) does anyone know if it is possible to load Nowtv on to it so I can watch the Ryder cup?

Swampy - I had this issue when i first got my Roku box - and they said that the APP was not available in the Irish App store.. There are ways around this but I'm not sure if you can discuss on these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bromley52

Swampy wrote: »

Sign up to nowtv.com and watch it on your laptop. If you have HDMI out then you can watch it on your TV. You can watch on 2 devices at the same time as well and they dont have to be in the same home/apt etc.

bromley52 wrote: »
    Sign up to nowtv.com and watch it on your laptop. If you have HDMI out then you can watch it on your TV. You can watch on 2 devices at the same time as well and they dont have to be in the same home/apt etc.
    kind of defeats the purpose of having a device designed to watch streaming TV though if you don't use it.
    Swampy - I had this issue when i first got my Roku box - and they said that the APP was not available in the Irish App store.. There are ways around this but I'm not sure if you can discuss on these boards.

it's available in the UK app store, or as a download from roku directly.

there's nothing illegal about using it, it's just region locked so i doubt there would be any issues discussing it here given that pretty much everything to do with nowTV is meant for UK based users and 99% of the people here are in ireland. :)

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2012/11/28/now-tv-launches-on-roku-for-uk-streamers/

not tried to get it from the site myself, but a UK based VPN (cyberghost etc.) OR the "hola better internet" plugin for chrome should let you appear to be a UK user (also works for iplayer etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Anyone come across the error 6057 oops something went wrong.. ?

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Anyone come across the error 6057 oops something went wrong.. ?

Can't remember any specific errors, but I usually just pull the power any time it starts misbehaving and it's always done the trick. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

With their forthcoming price increase I wonder does that indicate to an eventual launch here in Ireland?

There's clearly demand so why not launch it already?

With their forthcoming price increase I wonder does that indicate to an eventual launch here in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

The're just fishing for a price point, if they do launch it here you can be sure it will be exchange rate + 20%.

I agree, if we got it officially it would definitely be more expensive, plus really considering how the service can become unstable or outright crash do we really want anymore people connecting to it?
    moodrater wrote: »
    The're just fishing for a price point, if they do launch it here you can be sure it will be exchange rate + 20%.

I wish they'd enable streaming of recorded content from a networked sky+ box, it would make it so much more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Not sure if this has been mentioned (the thread is fairly long at this stage!!!).

If you have a UK iTunes account and an Apple TV, by logging in under the UK account, the NowTV app will appear. You can then log in using your Sky/NowTV credentials and access everything. I'm currently watching PSG v Barca to show that my Sports weekly pass works on the Apple TV.

I'm only after discovering this now and realise I can get rid of the little NowTV box!! I'd argue that the picture quality is better on the Apple TV as it outputs at 1080P rather than the NowTV box 720P...

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

tallpaul wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned (the thread is fairly long at this stage!!!).

If you have a UK iTunes account and an Apple TV, by logging in under the UK account, the NowTV app will appear. You can then log in using your Sky/NowTV credentials and access everything. I'm currently watching PSG v Barca to show that my Sports weekly pass works on the Apple TV.

I'm only after discovering this now and realise I can get rid of the little NowTV box!! I'd argue that the picture quality is better on the Apple TV as it outputs at 1080P rather than the NowTV box 720P...

Is it just the sports pass that works with Apple TV or does the entertainment pass work as well. i tried watching Now TV on my Apple TV but it was only showing the sports pass app.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BopperSnr

How do you get a uk iTunes account? Will it mess up my Irish account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Is it just the sports pass that works with Apple TV or does the entertainment pass work as well. i tried watching Now TV on my Apple TV but it was only showing the sports pass app.

No, the entertainment pass also works. I do think they have changed the app because I only saw the Sports pass app the last time I looked. Now it has the various options across the top...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

vibe666 wrote: »
    I wish they'd enable streaming of recorded content from a networked sky+ box, it would make it so much more useful.

Or allow us to use skygo on it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

moodrater wrote: »

I could imagine then launching at €5.99 a month, any more than that and I think they'd wouldn't be getting many customers but then again Sky have a massive allegiance here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

No, the entertainment pass also works. I do think they have changed the app because I only saw the Sports pass app the last time I looked. Now it has the various options across the top...

Thanks a million for the heads up. Great having the app on my Apple TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bromley52

http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/2011907

3 month free entertainment pass for owners of a Chromcast.

just make sure to cancel after you activate or you will be charged after the 3 months are up.

Interesting, but will that work with our Chromecasts if it detects we're in Ireland?
    bromley52 wrote: »

3 month free entertainment pass for owners of a Chromcast.

just make sure to cancel after you activate or you will be charged after the 3 months are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

rogercross wrote: »
    Interesting, but will that work with our Chromecasts if it detects we're in Ireland?

It's worked for me just there came up in my chrome offers 3 months free entertainment jus login wit ur now TV account...

Cool and you're not using any special vpn or anything?
    DANNY2014 wrote: »
    It's worked for me just there came up in my chrome offers 3 months free entertainment jus login wit ur now TV account...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

rogercross wrote: »
    Cool and you're not using any special vpn or anything?

No just got the now TV app on my z1 compact went into my chrome app and went to offers and bada bing bada boom...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    No just got the now TV app on my z1 compact went into my chrome app and went to offers and bada bing bada boom...

I'm just getting the google music offer, also new version of nowtv is saying 'connection from this sim card is not possible' ver 3.0 of the app for anyone that wants to try: https://www.copy.com/s/UzJuy9VS6QX6

323797.png

Can you do it without the sim in the phone?

• Advertisement

It pops up for me aswell on the Chromecast.

I'm debating buying a months worth then using the 3 month voucher so that I'd lock in the current price or does it go up for everyone regardless?

Hope it works in Ireland.

Advertisement