Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Architect Discussion

Options

Comments

Is it currently worth the €13?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Polar101 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when this will be ready? (Or is that a stupid question)

Well, I don't think it will be ever ready as it does take minecraft approach. In a way it's bad and in a way it's good.
    Bad - you paying for not ready product. Good - from all kickstarters and early alphas these devs are the most "active", listening to community and always keeping updates rolling.

If you like sim with "free world building and feck around" get it now and you won't mmiss out. If you want a proper tutorial, story mode, hold handing then better skip on it for now and wait for full or "fullish" game m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Can't see a finished/full game coming within a year anyway. I'm expecting constant updates, new features, and general improvements. I do however think they will finally have a finished game, unlike Minecraft.
    If you ask me, it's worth €13 no problem. I paid €25....I think, and didn't regret it. Played just under 70 hours since I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's proooobably worth it but for me I found initially I loved it for a day or so and then, once you build a prison (which is easy) there doesn't seem to be any further point to the game. There's not enough going on in the game to want to keep playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Mister Man wrote: »
    Can't see a finished/full game coming within a year anyway. I'm expecting constant updates, new features, and general improvements. I do however think they will finally have a finished game, unlike Minecraft.
    If you ask me, it's worth €13 no problem. I paid €25....I think, and didn't regret it. Played just under 70 hours since I bought it.

Minecraft is sort of a finished game. It was 'released' in November 2011. However, they are constantly updating it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

This is down to €8.83 until Friday, think I'll pick it up for a look

Completely forgot about this. I've started playing it again and it is just as fun as it was when I stopped. Take a look at alpha 20 where they've tackled the end game. You get sent to your own jail as a prisoner! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Is there like a sandbox/never-ending type of mode for this game? I usually just like doing my own thing rather than doing a campaign.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Just so you know its 66% off on steam at the moment for this so works out at around 8 quid :)

Cravez wrote: »
    Is there like a sandbox/never-ending type of mode for this game? I usually just like doing my own thing rather than doing a campaign.

It is a sandbox game. With the new update, provided that you don't kill too many prisoners in a day or let a riot go on for more than 12 hours or go bankrupt then the game goes on forever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Alpha 20 has definitely rekindled my interest in this (not that I'd started thinking it was bad or anything, I'd just moved on since the last time I played it around Alpha 14-15.

The prisoner mode is brilliant. I really hope they fully develop this so you can try and survive and stuff.

It would be cool if you could disable fail conditions in the full game. T'would also be cool if you could call in the National Guard yourself for massive riots, and then try and rebuild. The National Guard should also do some real damage to the structure, like using grenades to get through doors and blowing massive holes in walls, maybe even destroying your power supplies and water to try and siege the place.

I get that that's sort of against the point of the National Guard (in that you're not meant to play again after they come in) but I still think it'd be cool.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The National Guard should also do some real damage to the structure, like using grenades to get through doors and blowing massive holes in walls, maybe even destroying your power supplies and water to try and siege the place.

I get that that's sort of against the point of the National Guard (in that you're not meant to play again after they come in) but I still think it'd be cool.

Funny enough, I was thinking the same thing was I was watching the Alpha 20 video. They should be using flash bangs and what not. Blow open doors, walls, windows... anything to get them into the prison. Cutting the power is a good idea too. Smash up enough capacitors so that demand outweighs supply. This brings us back to riots in the first place. I rarely have them ( I'm not looking for more of them) but the damage that's done to the property during a riot seems to be minimal. There should be complete havoc. Fires too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    It would be cool if you could disable fail conditions in the full game.
    You can. There's an option in the new game menu, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Started this up yesterday on Alpha 26. Haven't played since Alpha 8 or 9.

Wow, so much more depth. Some things i had to google to figure out how to work but enjoying it all the same.

Still easy enough to get a fully functional prison up and running. Keeping the snitches and ex-law enforcements safe is a challenge though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Many people still playing this?

Latest Alpha version just released:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I haven't gone back since Alpha 13-14 I think I'm more or less just waiting for the final game to release now before going back. I absolutely love some of the additions they've made, especially the ability to put everyone in a 1x1 cell and lock them down 24hours a day. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Laviski

i think the introduction of gangs will really test my prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I can't figure out how to get the education classroom part working :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

I was doing amazing on one prison with 90% not reoffending onvce they got out but then an update came in, think it wss religion and everything imploded as I honestly could not redesign the place:( Time for attempt 47

Looking forward to the full implementation of gangs.

Will spice it up big time :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ohh wow gangs would make it very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Surely we have gotten to the stage where a game like this can't be called an Alpha any more?

It's basically a finished games with regular updates/improvements.

Kirby wrote: »
    Surely we have gotten to the stage where a game like this can't be called an Alpha any more?

It's basically a finished games with regular updates/improvements.
    The improvements are major shifts in how the game is played though.

Like Kerbal Space Program. Everything before Beta shaped the game. Then once everything was in place, it was Beta time which entailed small reworks of existing mechanics. Once the balance was struck, and some bugs fixed, it was time for blast off! :D

I think they said it's nearly there. Once Gangs are fully fleshed out....

Taylor365 wrote: »
    The improvements are major shifts in how the game is played though.

Like Kerbal Space Program. Everything before Beta shaped the game. Then once everything was in place, it was Beta time which entailed small reworks of existing mechanics. Once the balance was struck, and some bugs fixed, it was time for blast off! :D

I think they said it's nearly there. Once Gangs are fully fleshed out....

I think the devs have said it'll be done in Alpha before the end of the year.

They are now committed to a full version 1.0 release for October! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

Looks very theme hospital/ theme park ish.

I'm intrigued since those games were major time syncs. Will await for it to exit alpha and give it a go :)

BKtje wrote: »
    Looks very theme hospital/ theme park ish.

I'm intrigued since those games were major time syncs. Will await for it to exit alpha and give it a go :)
    It will probably end up much like them, with a campaign to play through (Wouldn't be that hard to set up) but the depth already far outweighs those 2 titles.

Version 1 will launch on
    06 October 2015

"That's it, we're done! We'll we're not done, were working like crazy to finish all the secret features that are going to make version 1.0 of Prison Architect Epic."

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Baron McBoomBoom

this game looks awesome but I couldn't justify spending that much on an early access. If it still looks as awesome upon release, which it may have already reached for all i know, I'll reconsider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭padair

this game looks awesome but I couldn't justify spending that much on an early access. If it still looks as awesome upon release, which it may have already reached for all i know, I'll reconsider

I have spent many many hours on this game. It was on salt very cheap on steam. Looking forward to the release now

Advertisement