Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken & Amlin Cup 2013/14 General Discussion

Options
  • 22-07-2013 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭

I don't think we've a great squad, but we're lucky, like leinster, that we managed to sneak into an easy H cup group

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rightwing wrote: »
    I don't think we've a great squad, but we're lucky, like leinster, that we managed to sneak into an easy H cup group

How in jebus' name is Leinster's group easy? Munster definitely have a better group. Please explain that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

How in jebus' name is Leinster's group easy? Munster definitely have a better group. Please explain that one!

Do you even know who is in Leinster's group ? :confused:

Ospreys, complete losers
    Castres, never give a hoot about it
    Saints, good for 2 or 3 games and then fall apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Ospreys, Northampton & Castres is easy, and comparable to Glos, Perpignan and Edinburgh.

This should be an interesting one...

Do you even know who is in Leinster's group ? :confused:

Ospreys, complete losers
    Castres, never give a hoot about it
    Saints, good for 2 or 3 games and then fall apart.

Ospreys, the ultimate trolls of Irish Rugby. I don't understand how you can call them 'complete losers' tbh.
    Castres, French champions with a brilliant home record who have convinced the best scrum-half in France to stay on. They were close to qualifying for the knockouts so they do "give a hoot".
    Saints, a good English side that have signed two world class players (Fotuali'i and North)

Let's compare:

Edinburgh - They're "complete losers"! One of the worst teams in the competition.
    Perpignan - Not the force they were and the weakest French side in the competition. However they have made some good signings (Lopez, Benvenuti)
    Gloucester - A young English side, admittedly I've seen little of them but they seem to be well thought off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Our group is theoretically waay easier than Leinster's!

We have a great squad when it comes to second rows, back rows & wingers, a good squad at centre & full back cover. Light in front row and half backs, the thought of injury to one of the key five players is scary but not terrifying. Sometimes injury forces people to step up to the plate and shine, look at the meteoric rise of Conor Murray.

I'm excited about our Heineken Cup group, if we can mind our players I'm looking forward to the games. Hoping to head to Gloucester away in January.

• Advertisement

Ospreys, the ultimate trolls of Irish Rugby. I don't understand how you can call them 'complete losers' tbh.
    Castres, French champions with a brilliant home record who have convinced the best scrum-half in France to stay on. They were close to qualifying for the knockouts so they do "give a hoot".
    Saints, a good English side that have signed two world class players (Fotuali'i and North)

Ah they're not, I don't think they ever stopped an Irish team from progressing? Can't remember how many times munster have done a number on them in H cup. Ospreys are 40/1

Castres are 55/1, I'd need at 100/1 to back them. Saints at 28/1.

I don't think the bookies basically rate those teams either.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Racing may be worth a punt at 20/1

Ah they're not, I don't think they ever stopped an Irish team from progressing? Can't remember how many times munster have done a number on them in H cup. Ospreys are 40/1

Castres were excellent in the Top14 playoffs, I'd be very wary of them from a Leinster perspective.

Sorry, the Munster and Leinster groups aren't comparable IMO. Would you rather have Ospreys or Edinburgh, Gloucester or Northampton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Actually no, not feeding you fella.

Castres were excellent in the Top14 playoffs, I'd be very wary of them from a Leinster perspective.

Sorry, the Munster and Leinster groups aren't comparable IMO. Would you rather have Ospreys or Edinburgh, Gloucester or Northampton?

You are going off on a tangent. Basically I'm saying they are 2 easy groups. The bookies are giving no one else in Leinster's group a chance.

There's no standout threat like Leicester. They could easily beat Ulster.

• Advertisement

You are going off on a tangent. Basically I'm saying they are 2 easy groups. The bookies are giving no one else in Leinster's group a chance.

That's because Leinster are rated superior to Munster.

Take out the provinces from the group and look at the other three sides. Which is the tougher group of three teams, all other things being equal? That's the perspective I'm taking.

In short, Leinster's group = Average to tough. Munster's group = Favourable to Average. Munster would struggle to get out of a group of Ospreys, Castres, Northampton in my opinion.

Actually no, not feeding you fella.

There is a draw, and I imagine that Clermont's 'draw' is a little harder.

Clermont/Quins/Racing/Scarlets or Ulster's draw also looks a little hard.

Take out the provinces from the group and look at the other three sides. Which is the tougher group of three teams, all other things being equal? That's the perspective I'm taking.

In short, Leinster's group = Average to tough. Munster's group = Favourable to Average

Why would you look at it that way. The draw is made and everything isn't equal.

Leinster are the best team by a shot in their group and would be everyones favourite to get out of the group easily.

In short, Leinster's group = Average to tough. Munster's group = Favourable to Average

That's not the case. Look at Clermont @ 5/1 Racing 20/1, Quins 25/1 ,,,all from the same group.

Ulster got the toughest of the Irish, by a distance.

Leinster are the best team by a shot in their group and would be everyones favourite to get out of the group easily.

If we're comparing the toughness of groups from the Irish perspective then surely you're only analysing their opponents? I'm looking at it with a view of "Which group would I prefer as a Munster fan?"

Spot on.

If we're comparing the toughness of groups from the Irish perspective then surely you're only analysing their opponents? I'm looking at it with a view of "Which group would I prefer as a Munster fan?"

Yeah, but the draw is made so we know who our opponents are. Munster and Leinster got favourable draws. I wouldn't be comparing Munster in other groups as I don't need to.

That's not the case. Look at Clermont @ 5/1 Racing 20/1, Quins 25/1 ,,,all from the same group.

Ulster got the toughest of the Irish, by a distance.

I'm not concerned with outright tournament odds. I'm simply concerned with my perception of the easier group to qualify from. I can't see how a group of Ospreys, Castres, Northampton is comparable to a group of Edinburgh, Perpignan, Gloucester in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They beat Munster in 2010/11 which was a hammer blow to their getting out of the pool.

They've a top class pack and it would be madness to take them lightly especially when you take 2 minutes to look at the sides that have gone to Swansea in the HEC in the last few years and haven't managed to win.

Yeah, but the draw is made so we know who our opponents are. Munster and Leinster got favourable draws. I wouldn't be comparing Munster in other groups as I don't need to.

Fair enough, but that's not where I'm coming from.

• Advertisement

I'm not concerned with outright tournament odds. I'm simply concerned with my perception of the easier group to qualify from. I can't see how a group of Ospreys, Castres, Northampton is comparable to a group of Edinburgh, Perpignan, Gloucester in that sense.

I can, because none of those 6 teams are up to much. It 'should' be easy to get out of them.

That's why the bookies will give you odds of 55/1 on Castres, they don't rate them. No other reason.

But in fairness you don't support Leinster. :p

Let me put it this way. IF Leinster were in our group they would walk it. If we were in their group it would be tough going. But they are not and we are not so we can only compare the actual teams in their respective groups.

I can, because none of those 6 teams are up to much. It 'should' be easy to get out of them.

That's why the bookies will give you odds of 55/1 on Castres, they don't rate them. No other reason.

Grouping those six sides into one bunch is very strange. How can you compare Castres to Edinburgh? Just because a side can't win a Heineken Cup it doesn't mean they can't derail someone else's season. I am only talking about the Irish sides' chances of qualifying, you seem obsessed with odds for winning the tournament!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

No, it's because they aren't a backed side. That's why. Montpellier would have been a similar side a year ago, probably longer odds. Bookies will set their odds according to how heavily a side will be backed not because they don't rate them.

Let me put it this way. IF Leinster were in our group they would walk it. If we were in their group it would be tough going. But they are not and we are not so we can only compare the actual teams in their respective groups.

The sad thing is, we'll struggle in our group too, even though it's as easy as you could hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The gap between Leinster and Munster is not (or next season at least, won't be) as great as you appear to be suggesting.

EDIT: Reading that again I don't actually know what you're suggesting

The sad thing is, we'll struggle in our group too, even though it's as easy as you could hope for.

I'd be fairly confident we'll do ok barring injury.

Buer wrote: »
    No, it's because they aren't a backed side. That's why. Montpellier would have been a similar side a year ago, probably longer odds. Bookies will set their odds according to how heavily a side will be backed not because they don't rate them.

No. Just No, They'd be out of business if that was their reasoning.

Tox56 wrote: »
    The gap between Leinster and Munster is not (or next season at least, won't be) as great as you appear to be suggesting.

Sadly I think it is. They have more strength in depth and have a style that suits their play.

This season will be interesting,I look forward to see what style we play.

• Advertisement

I'd be fairly confident we'll do ok barring injury.

It;ll be like last year, down to the wire, 2 losses away to Glaws and away to Perp, can we pick up enough bonus points along the way.

Advertisement