Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Roll Dublin City marathon - photogs wanted

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

keps wrote: »
    I'd say if you were giving out nikon cameras to 'individuals' you might like to go through some simple process whereby at least their online background/possible integrity might be assessed.

Being a mod, I know where you all live and I have a big gun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

endacl wrote: »
    Easy fella!

Joke!

I've the bottom of the range EOS, and know it. Just happens to have the biggest number. If I'd the cash, I'd have your camera. No snidy bull**** intended.

Endacl your joke made me lol hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Great thread BTW - gives a chance to earn a few shillings -- but can I say a special thanks to Corkbah - who asked some very good questions.

Ok folks, they have enough applicants at the minute - those of you who got in in time should have your initial email with details etc. Make sure to reply to it.

ad appeared in gumtree last night

Want earn earn a 60 Euro + before noon on Monday,5th August? MarathonFoto is looking for photographers to help us cover the Rock n Roll Dublin Half Marathon on the 5th of August. We will be taking candid photos of runners prior to the start and after they cross the finish line. Fan photo and or Party Pics experience is helpful but not required. What is required is a smile and outgoing attitude. We are also looking for skilled photographers to join our team on course. Check us out at ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

ad appeared in gumtree last night

Want earn earn a 60 Euro + before noon on Monday,5th August? MarathonFoto is looking for photographers to help us cover the Rock n Roll Dublin Half Marathon on the 5th of August. We will be taking candid photos of runners prior to the start and after they cross the finish line. Fan photo and or Party Pics experience is helpful but not required. What is required is a smile and outgoing attitude. We are also looking for skilled photographers to join our team on course. Check us out at ...

€60 ... definately not what any of the other "normal" agencies would be paying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Corkbah wrote: »

True, but if you're sitting home and scratching yourself, it's worth doing. Money is money.

I'd prefer €60 to nothing any day of the week.

Well you have to be in Ealsfort Terrace at 6am in the morning and for the first 2 and a half hours you only get paid 7 cents for every bib number( presumably with a person behind it:) )you photograph!!

Count me out!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

You forgot the +, you don't know the full brief so your comments are really irrelevant.

As Paul has said, I'd rather be earning up to 150 for a few hours work along with having some fun/gaining experience than sitting on boards moaning about what people are getting/not getting!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

for the first 2 and a half hours you only get paid 7 cents for every bib number( presumably with a person behind it:) )you photograph!!

That's a bit ridiculous.

I got mixed up with these companies, I used to do some work for Marathon PHOTO's and not FOTO. They pay much better than FOTO and more akin to what "normal" agencies pay.

• Advertisement

sorry a typo it is 17 cents for every bib photgraphed

You forgot the +, you don't know the full brief so your comments are really irrelevant.

As Paul has said, I'd rather be earning up to 150 for a few hours work along with having some fun/gaining experience than sitting on boards moaning about what people are getting/not getting!

upto €150 !! .... while working for one of the "normal agencies" you'd get paid more money and have to give over less images.

upto €150 !! .... while working for one of the "normal agencies" you'd get paid more money and have to give over less images.

Well one of the "normal agencies" aren't here looking for people are they? So until they do "this agency" and their cash will do just fine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It's a bit of cash for those who are in a position to, and happy to take the work. Sounds like it could be a bit of craic. If I was available, I'd do it.

If you disagree with the t&c, don't do it.

Easy.

I've worked for less and worked for more. I've hired other photographers to cover events with me for less, and also paid more.

It would depend on what I was doing, how much the job was worth and what my profit would be.

When people work for me, they hand over all images to me. I then select what I will use and what I won't. I am quite fussy about image selection, since I have a reputation to uphold with my clients. This would be a higher standard than I may provide to a different client/agency.

The T&Cs for this event seem fairly normal. The pay is the pay. They make it clear the minimum you will earn.

I always feel it is better to get out and take photos than sit indoors and go online. It is also better to earn something rather than nothing. You also get some good experience, and learn. More often than not, it's easy enough to find people who will work for free.

If you set yourself up as a diva who won't work for anything less than €X, then that is your choice. But, there is no need to knock people willing to get out, take photos and earn something.

Paulw wrote: »
    True, but if you're sitting home and scratching yourself, it's worth doing. Money is money.

I'd prefer to have my bank holiday weekend to myself instead of working ...then again, you have a decent paying full-time job and photography is a sideline for you...its not like you are going to be taking money away from a professional photographer while doing this job....its not a photography job in my opinion as no actual experience is needed, all you need to do is have basic cop-on.

if someone wants to earn money in this way - let them....just depends on how much you actually value your time, not everyone wants to work on their day off ....then again those with full-time non-photography jobs could also be considered greedy .... seeking work elsewhere at every opportunity, I'm not calling anyone greedy (before anyone takes offence - just speaking in general)

tell you what ... I'll pay you to get up at 3am on a day during the week and take a couple of photos at a few locations of my choice .... €100 sound ok ?

same offer goes to PaulW ....since you both think the €60ish for a few hours work is worth it (this would be less than 1hrs work)

Actually twice next week - how does that sound... two different days .... €100 for about an hours work ?? thats less work and less photos than the marathon peoples....I obviously get the copyright and all that jazz to use the image etc etc whatever way I feel fit and you have no rights to the image whatsoever. etc etc etc.

my point is .... money is money when it suits the person, if the person is at a loose end and dont mind doing the work, there is not a problem -as long as they know the full facts of the job (ie. full rights given with the images etc)....in this case the job was advertised looking for photographers when all they actually want are people who can hold a camera and using basic cop-on take a photo or replicate the previous photos taken....the company makes thousands of euro off the images and pay what some would consider pittance for the amount of work done.

So do I have two takers to do a couple of images at a few locations on two separate mornings ? (€100 each night - for about an hours work ...probably several minutes of actual photographing and a bit of driving)

tell you what ... I'll pay you to get up at 3am on a day during the week and take a couple of photos at a few locations of my choice .... €100 sound ok ?

same offer goes to PaulW ....since you both think the €60ish for a few hours work is worth it (this would be less than 1hrs work)

Currently I'm not available for any photographic work, nor any work outside my day job, due to family circumstances, hence me not being able to do this event.

Otherwise, I'd gladly accept your money. I'll do it any time from the 10th Aug onward though.

So do I have two takers to do a couple of images at a few locations on two separate mornings ? (€100 each night - for about an hours work ...probably several minutes of actual photographing and a bit of driving)

Yeah, I'll do it. I'm confused though, is it morning or night as you're quoting two separate mornings but €100 for each night.

It also depends on the location. I'm in Meath so if it's within reasonable distance I'll certainly do it.

Yeah, I'll do it. I'm confused though, is it morning or night as you're quoting two separate mornings but €100 for each night.

It also depends on the location. I'm in Meath so if it's within reasonable distance I'll certainly do it.

offer was not given to you ... 3am (ish) could be considered late night or early morning.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    Currently I'm not available for any photographic work, nor any work outside my day job, due to family circumstances, hence me not being able to do this event.

Otherwise, I'd gladly accept your money. I'll do it any time from the 10th Aug onward though

a simple ...No

(excuse doesn't matter...family circumstances, away on holiday cant do it as I have a day job and would not be able to etc etc...or I value my time more than the money offered)

offer was not given to you

Ah ok, my bad. I thought when you said "So do I have two takers" that it was open to anybody. So you're only offering it to Jonnykitedude and Paulw?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Corkbah, I'm confused as to what point you're trying to make here. Maybe you could explain it, instead of making cryptic suggestions and offers ?

I'm of a mind with you for the most part on this, but really it's just unimaginative donkey work so I guess it pays accordingly. However saying something like
    paulw wrote:

is probably the worst argument I've seen for poor pay. Would you prefer €30 to nothing ? €5 to nothing ?

Corkbah, I'm confused as to what point you're trying to make here. Maybe you could explain it, instead of making cryptic suggestions and offers ?

I'm of a mind with you for the most part on this, but really it's just unimaginative donkey work so I guess it pays accordingly. However saying something like

is probably the worst argument I've seen for poor pay. Would you prefer €30 to nothing ? €5 to nothing ?

I think you may have misunderstood PaulW's comment - he was saying I'd prefer to work and earn money (the €60ish which is on offer) rather than sit down and do nothing...or maybe you understood that from his comment.
    (or maybe I'm completely wrong)

anyway - the point of my offer was simply to prove the same point - JKD and PaulW both said that its (the €60ish on offer) better than sitting on your arse and doing nothing but complain.

so in response, the offer was made - my point being that its not always better to work/earn a few sheckles instead of getting out there and be taken advantage of. PaulW obviously values his "family circumstances" more than his outside photography work, but I'm guessing not his normal day-to-day work, or maybe the "family circumstances" are also having an effect on his normal day-to-day job.

if thats not clear another way of putting it is that if someone thinks its better to do a couple of hours here and there they will eventually suffer burnout - they might earn a few quid but doing a few hours here and there ...earning little amounts for (sometimes) a lot of work....the value is simply not there for anyone who works a decent weekly number of hours

on the thread both guys were saying that someone could consider themselves greedy or lazy if they don't want to get off their a$$ and do this for the money offered, for me its not good value to get up BEFORE 6am and photograph several hours .... with a basic rate of approx €60 (some photographers may walk away with €60 after getting out of bed at 5ish and finishing the job and returning home maybe 1/2/3pm - assuming race finishes around 1pm)

P&B you said you've done it before - what time did you get up and what time did you get home ? (you said you are in Meath so would probably be travelling more than most)
    - Did you have to pay for parking or is that provided - its usually not free on a Monday (bank holiday or not its still a Monday - ask the clampers)
    - Did you have to pay for your own lunch or was one provided ?
    - How much did it cost you to get into the location and get home (Meath-Dublin approx 50km maybe so 100km ...that is more than likely an expense you absorbed)

I'm assuming you didn't factor these in when calculating how much you earned and how long you were working for.

For me the "opportunity" is a huge waste as the pay doesn't reflect the actual time/effort and hopefully someone out there has learned about the hidden expenses of doing this "job".

P&B you said you've done it before - what time did you get up and what time did you get home ? (you said you are in Meath so would probably be travelling more than most)
    We actually stayed in my mothers in Dublin the night before (two of us) but we were still on the road for 6.15am. We finished around 5pm IIRC.
    - Did you have to pay for parking or is that provided - its usually not free on a Monday (bank holiday or not its still a Monday - ask the clampers)
    - For me parking was provided free inside the cordon by the organisers and parking on Bank Holiday is the same as Sunday - free in a lot of areas.
    - Did you have to pay for your own lunch or was one provided ?
    - Lunch and snacks were provided by the organisers.
    - How much did it cost you to get into the location and get home (Meath-Dublin approx 50km maybe so 100km ...that is more than likely an expense you absorbed)
    - The cost of the diesel between two of us so about €20 total
    I'm assuming you didn't factor these in when calculating how much you earned and how long you were working for.
    For me the "opportunity" is a huge waste as the pay doesn't reflect the actual time/effort and hopefully someone out there has learned about the hidden expenses of doing this "job".

The opportunity may well be a huge waste for you and so be it. I however thoroughly enjoyed my long hard day and the money was a nice bonus. It was an experience however that my wife doesn't want to repeat. She did it with me but won't do it again because she thought it was too tough for the money. Different strokes for different folks.

a simple ...No

(excuse doesn't matter...family circumstances, away on holiday cant do it as I have a day job and would not be able to etc etc...or I value my time more than the money offered)

Pregnant wife about to give birth any day now. Much more important than any photography job. And yes, it is also very much effecting my day to day work, but I am thankful that I have the ability to work from home, when needed.

Otherwise, I would very much take you up on your offer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a simple ...No

is it just me, or did this come across to anyone else as needlessly rude? maybe i'm just reading it wrong.

Actually twice next week - how does that sound... two different days .... €100 for about an hours work ?? thats less work and less photos than the marathon peoples....I obviously get the copyright and all that jazz to use the image etc etc whatever way I feel fit and you have no rights to the image whatsoever. etc etc etc.

my point is .... money is money when it suits the person, if the person is at a loose end and dont mind doing the work, there is not a problem -as long as they know the full facts of the job (ie. full rights given with the images etc)....in this case the job was advertised looking for photographers when all they actually want are people who can hold a camera and using basic cop-on take a photo or replicate the previous photos taken....the company makes thousands of euro off the images and pay what some would consider pittance for the amount of work done.

I have no problem getting up at any hour of the day to pursue my hobbies, any of my friends will tell you the same so 3am is no problem for me! I do get up at unsocial hours for work from time to time and I guess this will be another. At the moment I can balance this with my family life along with work.

I'm "at a loose end" Wednesday night,Thurs,Fri so you can pick.

Will you send me a detailed email with all the relevant information like how you will pay me, will I be using my own gear, what the pictures will be used for, a contact for the shoot, what the brief will be just like marathonfoto.com have done? I will also expect 50% payment upfront and have you sign a contract. Also will I have to meet you in person?

I still don't see any point to your argument!

• Advertisement

This thread seem to be going round in circles.

If people want to do the gig they will- if they don't they won't

Suggest a mod closes it now as its original intention has been fulfilled.

Others can argue by PM if they like

Advertisement