Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Roll Dublin City marathon - photogs wanted

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

So a 60k drop in 3-4 years.....so the prices you where charging must of been too high, do you blame people taking up cheaper alternatives?

wasn't what I was charging ...it was the industry and the norm rates.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

keps wrote: »
    How much was that each after TAX

Mind your own business!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

that's a bit of a bummer:D--looking forward to a nice lie-om on Monday were you?:pac:

Yeah! Ah well, back up at my usual 9 so:).

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Hi All,

Competed in this yesterday which was a grand day out had by all. But on the photography side I was appalled at some of the "photographers" that were given the days work.

I mean several of them couldn't event hold a camera right, just made me cringe!

I mean several of them couldn't event hold a camera right, just made me cringe!

Maybe you could elaborate and describe how they were holding the camera so badly that you had to cringe?
    What is the "right" way to hold a camera?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

People who have never used an SRL and are used to taking phone photos ( who would include many of the Gumtree recruits I would say) may find it difficult to adapt at first.

I recently handed my nikon to a guy in Santiago de Compestalla and asked him to take a photo of the group of us who had just completed the 'pilgrimage' showing him where the 'shutter release' button was.

His immediate instinct was to raise the camera a distance from himself and to try to see the image of the group in the viewfinder display area at the back of the camera.

I could not get him to raise the camera to his eye and in the end he just took a ' blind' shot- which worked out ok as it was a wide angle lens.

I know this would not apply to the photographers recruited from Boards- but the Gumtree guys might have been more inexperienced in SRLs.

People asking for threads to be locked I find irritating.

Referring the 'job' I will try it and that way I will see if I ever want to do it again, I don't work and I live in town so handy cider money for me...I hope.

so how did you get on ?

Maybe you could elaborate and describe how they were holding the camera so badly that you had to cringe?
    What is the "right" way to hold a camera?

Well see attached image. I would take a photo to demonstrate but can't at the moment. It gives an idea. Also continuous checking of the LCD of every shot etc.

Cringe may be a harsh word but I just thought that they would have all photographers with at least the basics.

I don't want to get into the whole devaluing photographers but if I do decide to purchase a pic I want it to be a decent one.

I would have rather the work went to qualified people who need the few bucks.

Well see attached image. I would take a photo to demonstrate but can't at the moment. It gives an idea.

Cringe may be a harsh word but I just thought that they would have all photographers with at least the basics.

So in your opinion someone that holds a camera like Obama doesn't have the basics. What exactly is he doing wrong?
    Also continuous checking of the LCD of every shot etc.

Hmm, I shot the least amount of shots yesterday at around 5,000 and the chances of me (or others) chimping after each one is frankly ridiculous. You just don't have the time.
    I don't want to get into the whole devaluing photographers but if I do decide to purchase a pic I want it to be a decent one.

I would have rather the work went to qualified people who need the few bucks.

For someone who doesn't want to devalue photographers you've certainly made a good start with your first two posts.

Whoa, hold your horses! Why so defensive.

Holding a DSLR with a heavy flashgun attacked by your finger tips without using your palms for support is a no no in my books. Tell me that you think that is ok and a good way to securely hold the camera and take a steady sports shot.

Also using the flashgun pointed up into the sky on an open street is an effective way to take pics?

Do you also zoom using your manual focus ring? well one of them did!

My issue is with a company choosing to put inexperienced photographers into an event which already cost a lot to participate in.

There were serious photographers there of course, but I was disappointed to see some who clearly were told heres a camera, push a button.

I am not devaluing photographer who I would consider to have more skill than the ability to hold a button down. Yes I am new to posting online here and I dont have a history. but I am not trolling. Just gave an observation. Hope your pics turned out well. Any idea when they will go online?

• Advertisement

Whoa, hold your horses! Why so defensive.
    Me defensive? I don't think so. I'm merely trying to tease out the reasoning behind your posts.
    Holding a DSLR with a heavy flashgun attacked by your finger tips without using your palms for support is a no no in my books. Tell me that you think that is ok and a good way to securely hold the camera and take a steady sports shot.
    Ah so we're talking here about the photographers at the start/finish line who were taking the candids. They were not sports shots, they were portraits of the runners. Those of us on the course did the "sports" shots and we didn't have flashes nor did we chimp. I can't comment on whether all the candid shooters were holding their cameras by their fingertips as I didn't see them in action during the day. However, none of the cameras were dropped and they all got their shots done.

Also using the flashgun pointed up into the sky on an open street is an effective way to take pics?

Yep, you see quite a lot of photojournalists with the flash head pointed up during the day. Gives a catchlight in the eyes.
    Do you also zoom using your manual focus ring? well one of them did!

Heaven forbid! Someone made a mistake a turned the wrong ring - this on a camera they may not have been familiar with as the gear was supplied. It took me a while to get used to my Nikon as I shoot Canon. It must be good to be perfect and never make a mistake.

My issue is with a company choosing to put inexperienced photographers into an event which already cost a lot to participate in.

Did someone twist your arm to partake in the run? Surely if you have an issue the the company taking the photos at an event, you should complain the the event organisers? I presume you did.......?

There were serious photographers there of course, but I was disappointed to seem who clearly were told heres a camera, push a button.

I'm afraid your grammar lost me here......
    I am not devaluing photographer who I would consider to have more skill than the ability to hold a button down. Yes I am new to posting online here and I dont have a history. but I am not trolling.

:D
    Hope your pics turned out well. Any idea when they will go online?

No idea when they go online. I'm sure you'll hear from the event organisers. Surely you're not thinking of buying one when it was taken by an underpaid button pusher and not a real photographer?

Ok.... well must have struck a note with you...
    Me defensive? I don't think so. I'm merely trying to tease out the reasoning behind your posts.

Well to put it simply, I have attended quite a few events and never saw something like this before.

Ah so we're talking here about the photographers at the start/finish line who were taking the candids. They were not sports shots, they were portraits of the runners. Those of us on the course did the "sports" shots and we didn't have flashes nor did we chimp. I can't comment on whether all the candid shooters were holding their cameras by their fingertips as I didn't see them in action during the day. However, none of the cameras were dropped and they all got their shots done.

Correct, the candids. I have no issue with yourself, obviously a seasoned photographer. Pic on FB look good from what I can see.Glad all the equipment made it back.

Yep, you see quite a lot of photojournalists with the flash head pointed up during the day. Gives a catchlight in the eyes.
    Somehow, I believe it was more from inexperience. But I cant say for sure.

Heaven forbid! Someone made a mistake a turned the wrong ring - this on a camera they may not have been familiar with as the gear was supplied. It took me a while to get used to my Nikon as I shoot Canon. It must be good to be perfect and never make a mistake.

Point taken.

Did someone twist your arm to partake in the run? Surely if you have an issue the the company taking the photos at an event, you should complain the the event organisers? I presume you did.......?
    Since this thread did see some questions raised in relation to the value of a photographer and a days wage I felt it relevant to bring up my experience. Essentially I wanted to put the thought out that there is more to photographing an event than having a DSLR. I wanted to recognise the skill that goes into photography and the devotion. Im sure this was all lost in our tirade.

I'm afraid your grammar lost me here......
    Sorry about that, edited my post.

:D

No idea when they go online. I'm sure you'll hear from the event organisers. Surely you're not thinking of buying one when it was taken by an underpaid button pusher and not a real photographer?
    Again my point above, I was just unhappy to see cameras given out to people who couldnt capture or frame a shot aswell as people with experiecen, like yourself. Images of me in previous runs have been a mixed bag i.e. bad angle, blurred (nope im not going that fast:) ) or stray arms and legs in the shot etc.

Any way, your point is taken. Can I just ask though if you have any affiliation with this company? Have you done work for them before? What is your opinion of the gumtree ad?

Ok.... well must have struck a note with you...

Any way, your point is taken. Can I just ask though if you have any affiliation with this company? Have you done work for them before? What is your opinion of the gumtree ad?

hold on a sec.... P&B's opinion of the gumtree advert ??? WTF ...its irrelevant and as for the affiliation with the company ...read the thread, he was asked by a former camera club member who happens to work for Marathon Fotos to try and find recruits - he came here....and he has done it (photographed for marathon foots) in the past.

also if you read the thread, I'm not the biggest advocate of the method used and the potential recruits ...but thats the people's choice, if they wanted to "work" for a couple of hours ...experience or not, they did so, and similarly..... its not in their (marathonfotos) best interest to try sell you (the runner) images which are sub-standard ....so they would always aim for a high standard - some of the recruits were upto it ...some were not...but that happens across ALL photography sectors..... as was pointed out prior to the marathon (sorry ...half-marathon) ... if people want to do it...let them, if they don't .... no harm - same applies to you if you wish to purchase an image...do so, if not ... then don't !!

Sorry about that. I didnt read back through the thread recently and missed that.

The main thing that surprised/disappointed me with marathonfotos was that (according to the email I got from them) it rewarded everyone in the same way no matter what their experience /background was.

That was 17 cents per(usable)photo before the race started ( 6am to 8.30 am)and then 60 euros for the rest of the day no matter what you did.

They just didn't seem to make any allowance for the experience/ability/track record of long term/proficient photographers as opposed to last minute Gumtree recruits.

The race pics just went online, and I am impressed. Actually better than most events Ive been to. These are the action shots around the route. There were multiple locations which was great. Previous runs have been very weighted on the finish line where there are a mush of people.

Bet all the good photos were taken by the Boardsie guys:)

Not bad going getting 86k photos taken yesterday, up online and searchable today. Looks like someone knew their stuff.....

Have to agree that that is mighty impressive

The main thing that surprised/disappointed me with marathonfotos was that (according to the email I got from them) it rewarded everyone in the same way no matter what their experience /background was.

Well imagine that!
    Everyone got paid the same amount for doing the same job. How unfair is that? Disgraceful carry on! There should be a law against it. Bring back discrimination I say! While we're at it, pay the men more than the women.......

• Advertisement

A payment system based to a degree on experience is neither discriminatory nor sexist.

I accept that all those working for marathonfotos on Monday went in with their eyes wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

€60 for a day's practicing photography, how bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

A payment system based to a degree on experience is neither discriminatory nor sexist.

I accept that all those working for marathonfotos on Monday went in with their eyes wide open.

I see with what you're saying, but a different price scale depending on experience wouldn't really be fair and would be rather discriminatory, especially if there are no defined and objective differences in terms of the expected outputs provided by people at different points on the scale.

The only way that experience could be valued is if there was some kind of criteria for higher quality photos, but that would be far too subjective and ultimately impossible to implement.

Advertisement