Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Roll Dublin City marathon - photogs wanted

Options
  • 23-07-2013 9:42am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

The Rock & Roll Marathon takes place in Dublin on August 5th and Marathon Foto looking for photographers to shoot this event - either candid or the course. If any boardsies are interested then please PM me with your contact details - proper name, e mail and phone and I'll pass them on to the organiser who will give you more details.This is paid work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

half marathon:P

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hrm. I'll see if I can get time off work for this :)

It's a bank holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

keps wrote: »
    It's a bank holiday
    Which is great for those who get bank holidays off...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just to update. I need your FULL proper name, the one that you were christened with, your e mail and phone number. Not a link to your website, first name, handle or anything else.

Marathonfoto will then contact you with all the gory details including times, payment etc.

• Advertisement

Are you looking for pros, or capable amateurs with the appropriate gear?

endacl wrote: »
    Are you looking for pros, or capable amateurs with the appropriate gear?
    T'was wondering that myself. Would consider myself an amateur with a 450D.

the_syco wrote: »
    T'was wondering that myself. Would consider myself an amateur with a 450D.
    I must be a better amateur so. I've a 1000d. :P

That makes me 550d better! That's how Canon works, isn't it?!? :confused:

endacl wrote: »
    I must be a better amateur so. I've a 1000d. :P

That makes me 550d better! That's how Canon works, isn't it?!? :confused:
    Um, what? Cop the f**k on. The make & model of the camera means f**k all.

I was merrily stating I was an amateur who had a 450D. If the marathon person wanted people with a full frame lens, I wouldn't make the cut. I've no idea what's with the snide bullsh|t remark.

Um, what? Cop the f**k on. The make & model of the camera means f**k all.

I was merrily stating I was an amateur who had a 450D. If the marathon person wanted people with a full frame lens, I wouldn't make the cut. I've no idea what's with the snide bullsh|t remark.
    Easy fella!

Joke!

I've the bottom of the range EOS, and know it. Just happens to have the biggest number. If I'd the cash, I'd have your camera. No snidy bull**** intended.

• Advertisement

The camera you have is irrelevant. They just want photogs who know how to use one. Obviously you need to be competent with a DSLR.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Knowing nothing about this organisation, but having shot a good few road races, you don't need brilliant gear to get good quality photos.

People are not running fast. You set your camera (open aperture, decent shutter speed, high enough ISO), focus and take the pict.

Easy enough to search online for other races, and images that have been captured. I covered the Fingal 10K last weekend - http://www.flickr.com/photos/eventsandsports/sets/72157634733098335/

Oh and meant to add - the cameras will be supplied along with a little training. Unfortunately they're Nikons......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The camera you have is irrelevant. They just want photogs who know how to use one. Obviously you need to be competent with a DSLR.
    Ahh FFS, there's always a catch or clause ruining it for me.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Oh and meant to add - the cameras will be supplied along with a little training. Unfortunately they're Nikons......:rolleyes:
    Ah, I think I may leave it. I'd probably waste half the day just getting used to the camera :( When shooting with my own camera, I know where most of the functions are, but I'd be afraid of not being able to find the function before the person ran by me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Ah, I think I may leave it. I'd probably waste half the day just getting used to the camera :( When shooting with my own camera, I know where most of the functions are, but I'd be afraid of not being able to find the function before the person ran by me :(

I don't think this gig would require anything other than the ability to point the camera in the right direction and hit the shutter button. Stick it into P(rofessional) mode and fire away on continuous is probably all that's required.

I don't think this gig would require anything other than the ability to point the camera in the right direction and hit the shutter button. Stick it into P(rofessional) mode and fire away on continuous is probably all that's required.

Not quite that simple. Part of the gig is shooting the candids and the other part is shooting the runners so settings and approach will be slightly different. We'll also be using flash if the last gig was anything to go by.

For those with the confidence to tackle it, it pays reasonably well, is hard work and should be good craic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

While I would do it, I'm busy then.

Stick it into P(rofessional) mode and fire away on continuous is probably all that's required.
    Automatic mode? Haven't used that since I learnt how to use the camera :pac:
    For those with the confidence to tackle it, it pays reasonably well, is hard work and should be good craic.
    Anyhoos, have asked my Team Leader for the day off, will let you know either way.

That's great folks. All your details have been sent on and MF will be in touch with you directly. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

no mention that the photographer are giving ALL the copyright to marathon photos and that marathon photos sell the images for a serious amount of profit.

P&B are you on commission for recruiting or just trying to help marathon photos out with finding people ? I'm assuming you don't work for them ? (although you have said you did it in the past)

There is a boards member who operates in opposition to marathon photos - and he allows others to contribute to his website which he gives/sells the images (on behalf of the photographer)...cant for the life of me remember what his handle is, but I was told this by another Boards member.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

Corkbah wrote: »
    no mention that the photographer are giving ALL the copyright to marathon photos and that marathon photos sell the images for a serious amount of profit.

To be fair to them they are no different to any other agency or newspaper out there as you well know yourself. Sportsfile, Inpho, Collins, Photocall, PA, Getty etc etc all pay a photographer a shift fee and you hand over the photos at the end of your shift. They make the money as they have spent many years and lots of money building picture library's, websites, contacts, marketing, staff etc, etc, etc.

hcnyla wrote: »
    To be fair to them they are no different to any other agency or newspaper out there as you well know yourself. Sportsfile, Inpho, Collins, Photocall, PA, Getty etc etc all pay a photographer a shift fee and you hand over the photos at the end of your shift. They make the money as they have spent many years and lots of money building picture library's, websites, contacts, marketing, staff etc, etc, etc.

but there's a big difference between doing a job for any of the above (you'll only pass over a selection of images -probably less than 25 for a days work) ...for marathon photos you'll be passing over hundreds.

if someone is happy to take €100-€250ish for their day ...let them - but we often get people complaining about their image used or someone else making money off their image .... if Marathon photo or any of the other mentioned agencies were to pay proper rates for each image they wouldn't survive....but I'm only trying to make people aware of the unmentioned bits .... sure they'll give you money, equipment and you spend your day taking hundreds (possibly thousands) of images which they sell off individually or as packages....if people are happy with that - no problem - just as long as they know what they are getting into BEFORE they sign up !!

A contract is a contract.
    You go in with your eyes open.
    If you get a camera and presumably a Sd memory card from an organisation and you shoot very standard photos of people turning a corner for them for a few hours- do you really want to retain copyright?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

but there's a big difference between doing a job for any of the above (you'll only pass over a selection of images -probably less than 25 for a days work) ...for marathon photos you'll be passing over hundreds.

Thousands actually :)

I don't see any difference to be honest. You are paid to take pictures by a company, how many is irrelevant. In actual fact you will probably have a shorter day with Marathon Fotos than you would have with any of the others mentioned above and will be paid just as much.

You're not even using your own equipment as they provide the cameras for you so there isn't even wear and tear to incorporate as there would be for any job with the above!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

bu
    i- but we often get people complaining about their image used or someone else making money off their image

Think that's slightly different now, they know that all shots are going to the agency and will be used as they deem fit...its not like they are being plucked from their own personal flicker or pix.ie.

The togs are hired by MF to take photos on their behalf with their equipment. What MF do with them afterwards is up to them.
    P&B are you on commission for recruiting or just trying to help marathon photos out with finding people ? I'm assuming you don't work for them ? (although you have said you did it in the past)

No I don't work for them nor am I on any commission. I'm going to be shooting it just like the others that signed up. I have done it once before for them, got paid for my day and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    There is a boards member who operates in opposition to marathon photos - and he allows others to contribute to his website which he gives/sells the images (on behalf of the photographer)...cant for the life of me remember what his handle is, but I was told this by another Boards member.

And this has what to do with anything?

I'm just putting a call out to photographers who might be interested in some paid work. They can sign up if they wish when they receive full details of what's involved directly from MF.

The togs are hired by MF to take photos on their behalf with their equipment. What MF do with them afterwards is up to them.

No I don't work for them nor am I on any commission. I'm going to be shooting it just like the others that signed up. I have done it once before for them, got paid for my day and thoroughly enjoyed it.

And this has what to do with anything?

I'm just putting a call out to photographers who might be interested in some paid work. They can sign up if they wish when they receive full details of what's involved directly from MF.

and is it a decent amount of money for someone who simply has to turn up and take photos (only basic cop-on required) or are they completely taking advantage ?

why not put it out there at the start when creating the post - to me its a bit cloak and daggers .... (sell the job - but dont mention the bad points) earn money taking photos - all sounds great ...but you only responded acknowledging that MF make a profit off the images after it was highlighted, did you not consider it as important that some people may want to know if they are giving away their copyright while they are "working"

Essentially the company are looking for anyone who can handle a camera and press the button, having basic cop-on and knowledge of what makes a decent pic are a bonus - no actual photographic ability is required.

are the photographers allowed to use the images in their own portfolio ? I'm guessing no.

also ... why should people PM you instead of going to the marathon photo website or contacting the company themselves....just cant really understand that part.

as I've said before - if people ares happy to do it ... fair enough - just dont like people hiding things when advertising stuff.

I'd say if you were giving out nikon cameras to 'individuals' you might like to go through some simple process whereby at least their online background/possible integrity might be assessed.

• Advertisement

..but you only responded acknowledging that MF make a profit off the images after it was highlighted, did you not consider it as important that some people may want to know if they are giving away their copyright while they are "working"

And do you have a problem with a company making a profit? I'm delighted they make a profit as it enables them to keep going and hire more togs....
    Essentially the company are looking for anyone who can handle a camera and press the button, having basic cop-on and knowledge of what makes a decent pic are a bonus - no actual photographic ability is required.

So what?
    are the photographers allowed to use the images in their own portfolio ? I'm guessing no.

No because the cards are handed over at the end of the day. Anyway, would you want to use them in your portfolio? Pictures of people running.....
    also ... why should people PM you instead of going to the marathon photo website or contacting the company themselves....just cant really understand that part.

So how are people supposed to find out about these events? I was asked by the Irish representative (who I know) to put the call out, not just here but also through my camera club. The reason I asked people to PM me was so that they didn't have to post their contact details publicly - would you put your mobile number, name and email address on a public forum?
    In fact why don't you sign up but instead post your personal details publicly. Then I can pass them on to MF, you'll get the full package from them and then you can decide if you want to do it. In fact they're actually looking for photogs in early September for the Dingle Marathon so you could sign up for that too.
    as I've said before - if people ares happy to do it ... fair enough - just dont like people hiding things when advertising stuff.

There is nothing hidden and there is no advertising. This is all really simple. Possibility of a paid days shooting for those interested.

Advertisement