Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Football rights - all World Cup/Euros/Nations League discussion here

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

S4C will be showing all Wales Nations League games live. So there is a FTA option for the game this week. Granted it will probably be Welsh commentary only.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/s4c-broadcast-wales-nations-league-15104993

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭ITV2

on Freesat 104 they (S4C) carry English audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

ITV2 wrote: »

During the Wales World Cup Qualifiers S4C were not allowed carry the English commentary on the Red Button.

ITV2 wrote: »

Unlikely when Sky will also be showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That's great news. It will be S4C HD for me on Thursday. Happy with that announcement considering that I'm not going to watch the crap Saorview picture on Virgin Media 1 by while watching it delayed after all. There is also a return game with our lads against Wales on Tuesday the 16th of October as well on S4C. It's written there at the bottom of the article. Two FTA games for us against Wales on S4C which is a boon for the FTA viewers on Satellite if they don't have Sky.

The TV coverage of the match on S4C will begin on Thursday at 7:30pm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’d be surprised if this one isn’t Welsh commentary only. The likelihood is that more people will watch this game in pubs than on S4C in Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

icdg wrote: »
    I’d be surprised if this one isn’t Welsh commentary only. The likelihood is that more people will watch this game in pubs than on S4C in Welsh.

So would I. I'd also suspect that it was part of the reasoning for their removal from Sky's Irish epg. Although you would wonder how many people would not be aware of how to add a channel!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

One thing I hadn’t realised is this:

The Republic of Ireland plays in a three team group and in each three team group, one team will have a bye week on each match day during which they can arrange friendly matches. Ireland has arranged a friendly v Poland on Tuesday.

Now here’s the bit I missed; if teams do this on a UEFA Nations League matchday, it becomes part of the Nations League TV rights package.

And so sure enough, Poland v Republic of Ireland is on Sky Sports Mix on Tuesday, with highlights on VM3 afterwards. Exactly as if it were a Nations League game.

The more I find out about this competition, the more complicated it gets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

icdg wrote: »
    The more I find out about this competition, the more complicated it gets!

The broadcasting schedules are as complicated as the actual league/tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

BBC 5 Live are also doing live radio commentary of Wales V Republic of Ireland

Highlights also on BBC one Wales match of the day Thursday night.

I suppose if S4C HD only have Welsh commentary, I could listen to 5 live radio commentary while watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

Just a word of warning on the commentary. If you watch a match from satellite and listen to radio through traditional means, you will notice the delay on the TV pictures. ( Think the early parts of most games George Hamilton has commentated on in the last 5-10 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

FRIENDO wrote: »
    BBC 5 Live are also doing live radio commentary of Wales V Republic of Ireland

Highlights also on BBC one Wales match of the day Thursday night.

I suppose if S4C HD only have Welsh commentary, I could listen to 5 live radio commentary while watching.

Commentary also on 2FM from 7pm according to the Digiguide schedule, describing it as an International Friendly
    MUSIC: Game On
    On: RTÉ 2fm (202)
    Date: Thursday 6th September 2018 (starting in 1 day)
    Time: 19:00 to 22:00 (3 hours long)

Live commentary on the International Friendly Wales v Ireland- a pacey, informative, interactive and agenda-setting sports magazine show featuring daily sports news, analysis, in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Newstalk also have full match commentary. It was mentioned on Breakfast yesterday

Live commentary on two FM channels. Overkill especially for areas where the choice on FM is limited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

fman wrote: »
    Just a word of warning on the commentary. If you watch a match from satellite and listen to radio through traditional means, you will notice the delay on the TV pictures. ( Think the early parts of most games George Hamilton has commentated on in the last 5-10 years).

That won't be an issue for a Tech Geek, they have ways to sort that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

RTÉ confirms it did not bid for Nations League TV rights
    A spokesman for RTÉ said it did not did not bid for the rights to show the Nations League as it decided to concentrate its resources on Ireland’s competitive Euro 2020 qualifiers beginning next year.

He confirmed that Nations League games were not protected, but that the list is only updated every three years.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/ireland-v-wales-is-first-competitive-match-not-shown-on-free-to-air-tv-in-decades-1.3620579

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

lertsnim wrote: »
    Live commentary on two FM channels. Overkill especially for areas where the choice on FM is limited

Just tried both, rte are in the stadium, newstalk are working off a screen. About a 3 second difference.

Just tried both, rte are in the stadium, newstalk are working off a screen. About a 3 second difference.

Newstalk pretty much in sych with the S4C picture. Might switch off soon though the way its going currently!

Advertisement