Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Football rights - all World Cup/Euros/Nations League discussion here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

icdg wrote: »
    Look, when your posting the same post in two threads, I think it's a good indication that one thread was enough in the first place.

No problem icdg, the original thread related to a specific qualifying period 2014-18, so I thought it would be off topic, considering the thread title, to post details of the new rights period 2018-22 in that thread. I see that you've renamed it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Who will have the rights for the England v Scotland & Scotland v England games in WC18 qualifying?

Who will have the rights for the England v Scotland & Scotland v England games in WC18 qualifying?

This is the situation I believe for the 2014-18 qualification cycle, ITV have the England home and away games live but Sky will only have the "home nation's" home game if playing against England but not the "home nation's" away game against England.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To summarise: Scotland v England on both ITV and Sky, England v Scotland on ITV only.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Advertisement

Enough discussion of that elsewhere.

Enough discussion of that elsewhere.

I thought this thread was for Nations Leagues!

Elmo wrote: »
    I thought this thread was for Nations Leagues!

The UEFA Nations League (not Nations Leagues), involving countries not clubs. A new competition approved by the UEFA Executive Committee last Dec, adopted by the UEFA member associations in Mar 2014.

UEFA Nations League: all you need to know

THE UEFA Nations League. A proper noun, a specific competition.

THE UEFA Nations League. A proper noun, a specific competition.

Made up noun, possibly trade marked!

• Advertisement

Reports doing the rounds in the UK press that Sky have won exclusive rights to the UEFA Nations League, while Sky and ITV are renew their European Qualifiers rights in the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Reports doing the rounds in the UK press that Sky have won exclusive rights to the UEFA Nations League, while Sky and ITV are renew their European Qualifiers rights in the UK.

Will TV3 take the ROI's post 2018 euros/world senior qualifiers from rte

I think Sky will get the ROI's nations cup live games here

ftakeith wrote: »
    Will TV3 take the ROI's post 2018 euros/world senior qualifiers from rte

I think Sky will get the ROI's nations cup live games here

TV3/Virgin Media would be up against an RTÉ/EBU umbrella bid as has been the case in previous rights sales unless they can put in a superior bid for the exclusive Irish rights.

The Nations League could follow a similar route to the existing centralised qualifiers deal where RTÉ has the National team home/away terrestrial FTA rights under the EBU umbrella agreement with UEFA and Sky has the pay TV rights for all matches.

There's one big thing to remember when discussing rights to the Nations League - it is not a listed event.

There's one big thing to remember when discussing rights to the Nations League - it is not a listed event.

They can list it easily presumably.

But. As a competitive qualifier to the Euros is it not a listed event already?

They can list it easily presumably.

But. As a competitive qualifier to the Euros is it not a listed event already?

A completely new competition and so wouldn't be on the list. A consultation was carried out in early 2105, no further update since - http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/en-ie/Pages/Consultation/Review-of-Designation-of-Major-Events-.aspx

The Cush wrote: »
    A completely new competition and so wouldn't be on the list. A consultation was carried out in early 2105, no further update since - http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/en-ie/Pages/Consultation/Review-of-Designation-of-Major-Events-.aspx

But no competition for qualifying is named in that doc, just a very general "Ireland's home and away qualifying games in the European Football Championship".

These Nations Leagues games are now part of that qualifying process (they are effectively a replacement for the current playoffs which decide the final 4 places) And the better you do in the initial league phase the more chance of home ties if you end up in the playoff phase. I'm struggling to see how any Nations League games wouldn't be regarded as being part of "Ireland's home and away qualifying games in the European Football Championship".

I'm struggling to see how any Nations League games wouldn't be regarded as being part of "Ireland's home and away qualifying games in the European Football Championship".

I see your point, I guess that'll be up for discussion once the RoI media rights go to tender in the next year or two.

The problem is that these games are not part of the European Championship, and as I understand the format there is no hope of the Republic of Ireland qualifying for the Euros from it for the foreseeable future.

The problem is that these games are not part of the European Championship, and as I understand the format there is no hope of the Republic of Ireland qualifying for the Euros from it for the foreseeable future.

I can only suggest that you don't understand the format then, its a perfectly plausible qualification route for Ireland. The 4 qualification places it gives are actually slightly biased towards the middle/lower tier teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 reillyroche

Uefa will launch an invitation to tender in 35 european countries next week, including the Rep of Ireland, for the media rights to the Euro2016 finals in France.

you would imagine there is enough revenue already....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Will there by any changes from the current right holders, BBC & ITV, for the WC 2018 & Euro 2020 in the UK given what has happened with Brexit on Friday?

Will there by any changes from the current right holders, BBC & ITV, for the WC 2018 & Euro 2020 in the UK given what has happened with Brexit on Friday?

No, the EU and UEFA are separate organisations.

No, the EU and UEFA are separate organisations.

However the UK could drop their designated sport list.

Elmo wrote: »
    However the UK could drop their designated sport list.

In relation to the rights mentioned above, the contracts are already agreed so no change there.

Sky press release this morning - https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2017/sky-sports-wins-live-rights-to-competitive-england-games?utm_source=Direct

UEFA press release - http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/administration/marketing/news/newsid=2437632.html

"Free-to-air commercial broadcaster ITV has retained exclusive live rights to England’s national team matches in the European Qualifiers for UEFA EURO 2020 and the 2022 FIFA World Cup. In addition, ITV has acquired the rights to broadcast highlights for all of England’s national team matches throughout the 2018-22 cycle.

Sky Sports has been awarded an extensive live rights package. This includes all of England’s national team matches in the newly-created UEFA Nations League, all national team matches involving Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales in both the European Qualifiers and the UEFA Nations League, as well as live rights to all other matches involving non-UK teams, and included in UEFA’s 2018-22 national team football portfolio. In addition, Sky Sports will have the right to televise highlights of all matches during the 2018-22 cycle, including all England national team matches.
    "

And from UEFA:

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/administration/marketing/news/newsid=2437632.html

To summarise - England European Qualifiers on ITV, everything else to Sky. Sky's award doesn't seem to cover ROI this time round, which is slightly interesting - I would still working on the assumption they wil ultimately obtain the same mirror rights they always have - though Sky will still have UK rights to all ROI games.

Interestingly ITV seems to have lost the second pick European Qualifier they had in the last package.

Sky's award doesn't seem to cover ROI this time round, which is slightly interesting - I would still working on the assumption they wil ultimately obtain the same mirror rights they always have - though Sky will still have UK rights to all ROI games.

The RoI rights haven't come up for tender yet but will likely be a mirror of the previous agreement as you say, FTA rights via an EBU umbrella agreement for smaller countries and Sky for pay TV rights.

They already have the UK rights for all RoI matches under this agreement as per the press release
    Sky Sports has been awarded an extensive live rights package.. This includes all of England’s national team matches in the newly-created UEFA Nations League, all national team matches involving Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales in both the European Qualifiers and the UEFA Nations League, as well as live rights to all other matches involving non-UK teams, and included in UEFA’s 2018-22 national team football portfolio

I notice TV3 seem to have got some rights, will be showing the England/Lithuania qualifier on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Being discussed in the TV3 thread, they have obtained the rights to all of England's remaining World Cup 2018 qualifiers.

Advertisement