Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Football rights - all World Cup/Euros/Nations League discussion here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Republic of Ireland media rights tender for the UEFA 2020 finals and the UEFA qualifiers Euro 2020, World Cup 2022, and the Nations League 2018/19, 2020/21 was issued on April 11th and closed last week May 9th.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0606/880597-rte-unveils-confederations-cup-coverage/

All 16 games on RTÉ2
    Group stages

17 June Russia v New Zealand 4.00pm

18 June Portugal v Mexico 4.00pm
    18 June Cameroon v Chile 7.00pm

19 June Australia v Germany 4.00pm

21 June Russia v Portugal 4.00pm
    21 June Mexico v New Zealand 7.00pm

22 June Cameroon v Australia 4.00pm
    22 June Germany v Chile 7.00pm

24 June Mexico v Russia 4.00pm
    24 June New Zealand v Portugal 7.00pm

25 June Germany v Cameroon 4.00pm
    25 June Chile v Australia 7.00pm

Semi-finals
    28 June Winner Group A v Runner-Up Group B 7.00pm
    29 June Winner Group B v Runner-Up Group A 7.00pm

Third place play-off
    2 July Live from Moscow 3.00pm

Final
    2 July Live from St. Petersburg 7.00pm.

RTÉ secures FTA broadcast and online rights for Ireland's Euro 2020 and World Cup 2022 qualifiers. In addition, they also secured the broadcast rights to the Euro 2020 finals which takes place in 13 venues around Europe, including 4 matches in Dublin.

The previous acquired international rights were through an EBU umbrella agreement, no mention so far that this is the case this time around

No mention of the Nation's League in the announcement, so I assume they've gone to Sky, similar to all the "home nations" Nation's League matches (http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/administration/marketing/news/newsid=2437632.html)
    RTÉ already holds rights to the European Qualifiers and finals for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia and the broadcast rights to the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0823/899383-rte-remains-the-home-of-irish-soccer/

https://www.ebu.ch/contents/news/2012/03/ebu-in-european-media-rights-dea.html
    https://www.ebu.ch/contents/news/2013/04/ebu-awarded-media-rights-for-eur.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Getting a 404 on that link?

icdg wrote: »
    Getting a 404 on that link?

Sorted, end bracket within the url tags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Good news of course that it has stayed on free to air TV.

The Cush wrote: »
    No mention of the Nation's League in the announcement, so I assume they've gone to Sky, similar to all the "home nations" Nation's League matches (http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/administration/marketing/news/newsid=2437632.html)

This week UEFA published updated tender information documents for the 2018-22 qualifier/nations league cycle and the 2020 Euro finals.

The qualifiers/nations league document indicates the RoI media rights contract, for the nations league games, hasn't been signed off yet. I wonder if TV3 or eir made a bid for the rights?

From UEFA - How the UEFA Nations League could line up

UEFA published updated tender information documents for the 2018-22 qualifier/nations league cycle earlier today.

RoI media rights contract, for the new nations league competition, hasn't been signed off yet.

RTÉ announced they had secured the rights to the European & WC qualifiers back in late August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

interesting to note that virgin media will have the euro2020 qualifier games and nations cup except for the irish matches. (irish times)

interesting to note that virgin media will have the euro2020 qualifier games and nations cup except for the irish matches. (irish times)

I assume they have the Ireland Nations League games also, RTÉ doesn't have them. Sky has the UK rights.

Ireland fixtures, Group B4

Matchday 1 - 06/09/2018 Thursday 19:45 Wales vs Republic of Ireland
    Matchday 2 - Friendly 11 Sept Poland vs Republic of Ireland
    Matchday 3 - 13/10/2018 Saturday 19:45 Republic of Ireland vs Denmark
    Matchday 4 - 16/10/2018 Tuesday 19:45 Republic of Ireland vs Wales
    Matchday 5 - Friendly 15 Nov Republic of Ireland vs Northern Ireland
    Matchday 6 - 19/11/2018 Monday 19:45 Denmark vs Republic of Ireland

• Advertisement

It isn’t clear what Nations League and European Qualifiers matches they have - we know they don’t have the Republic of Ireland’s European Qualifiers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The Cush wrote: »
    I assume they have the Ireland Nations League games also, RTÉ doesn't have them. Sky has the UK rights.

Ireland fixtures, Group B4

Matchday 1 - 06/09/2018 Thursday 20:45 Wales vs Republic of Ireland
    Matchday 2 - Friendly 11 Sept Poland vs Republic of Ireland
    Matchday 3 - 13/10/2018 Saturday 20:45 Republic of Ireland vs Denmark
    Matchday 4 - 16/10/2018 Tuesday 20:45 Republic of Ireland vs Wales
    Matchday 5 - Friendly 15 Nov Republic of Ireland vs Northern Ireland
    Matchday 6 - 19/11/2018 Monday 20:45 Denmark vs Republic of Ireland

RTE does have them: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0823/899383-rte-remains-the-home-of-irish-soccer/

RTÉ Sport has secured exclusive free-to-air broadcast rights to the Republic of Ireland’s competitive European Qualifiers for UEFA Euro 2020 and FIFA World Cup 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

its the nations cup not the qualifiers

No mention of the Nations League there just the 2020 qualifiers, separate competitions.

European Qualifiers to UEFA EURO 2020
    European Qualifiers to 2022 FIFA World Cup
    UEFA Nations League 2018/19 (including the UEFA Nations League Finals)
    UEFA Nations League 2020/21 (including the UEFA Nations League Finals)
    Other International Matches

Updated UEFA media rights document published, Rep of Ireland tender process closed and contracts signed with RTÉ and TV3, so I guess we can assume the Ireland Nations League games will be on one of the Virgin Media channels.
    TV3 / Virgin Media Television has rights to show nine live Heineken Champions Cup rugby games, and it said this tournament would be free-to-air for the first time since 2006. It also has rights to UEFA Euro 2020 qualifiers (not involving Ireland) and fixtures from the inaugural UEFA Nations League that begins in September.

RTÉ confirmed the media rights they acquired back in August - https://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2017/0823/899483-rte-secures-broadcast-rights-for-republic-of-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Virgin Media Sport will cost 20 a month for non-virgin customers
    It will be free for first 2 months for Virgin Media Broadband and/or Mobile only Customers and 10 after that via an app
    TV customers will get free access to the channel.

TV3/Virgin Media one will air Tuesday night's 6pm game, with Wednesday night's games on VM Sports (though I assume RTÉ may take the 6pm game if they want it).

I think 20 euro is steep. As eir customers will continue to get BT Sport as part of there pack and others can opt for eir/BT Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I think they're mental with that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

lertsnim wrote: »
    I think they're mental with that price.

They have lost control of themselves completely ..

Ireland's Nations League games exclusively live on Sky with full delayed coverage on TV3.

https://www.balls.ie/football/nations-league-on-irish-tv-395482

I’m really pushed to know what exclusive content Virgin Media Sport really does have at this stage. That’s interesting news though that Sky have these games, it’ll be the first time since the listing of the European Qualifiers that Sky will have a competitive Republic of Ireland game exclusively live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I’m really pushed to know what exclusive content Virgin Media Sport really does have at this stage. That’s interesting news though that Sky have these games, it’ll be the first time since the listing of the European Qualifiers that Sky will have a competitive Republic of Ireland game exclusively live.

I agree. Another odd sports deal done. Wonder do TV3 have live access to the England , NI, Scotland and Wales matches.

Looks like be3/Virgin Media 3 has To Be Announced there, that will see the matches slot in. France v Germany on at 7:45 - I think they mentioned that on the CL coverage on Wednesday. And then maybe highlights at 10, and then the delayed coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The Nations League appears to be a loophole in our Designation of Major Events. It's a competitive fixture but it isn't technically a qualifier. Fans won't be happy, reminiscent of that similar debacle in 2002. I wonder how long the Sky deal will last.

I’d wager a ton of people, even hardcore football fans, haven’t even realised this Nations League exists yet, and won’t until the first games are imminent. It depends I guess to what extent it continues to be dismissed among many of those who do realise it exists as “glorified friendlies” - some of the biggest football fans I know won’t watch the Republic of Ireland team play in a friendly of any description. If it’s realised it’s an alternative avenue to qualify for major tournaments things might change. We’re venturing well into Soccer forum territory here though, so maybe best to get back to television.

I wonder how long the Sky deal will last.

The current contract is for 2 editions of the competition, 2018/19 and 2020/21.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The Nations League appears to be a loophole in our Designation of Major Events. It's a competitive fixture but it isn't technically a qualifier. Fans won't be happy, reminiscent of that similar debacle in 2002. I wonder how long the Sky deal will last.
    Is the loophole that the nations league is technically a qualifier for a qualifier?

If the government changed designation would it affect current contracts I wonder?

dulpit wrote: »
    If the government changed designation would it affect current contracts I wonder?

No, any change wouldn't be retrospective.

The “loophole”, such as it is, is that the SI (the Broadcasting Act 2009 (Designation of Major Events) Order 2017) refers specifically to the “European Football Championship” and “FIFA World Cup” tournaments.

Ireland’s games in the UEFA Nations League are not qualifying games in those tournaments, it is a different tournament, although there will at the end be a chance to qualify for Euro 2020. I suppose one could take as an analogy (albeit an inperfect one) the fact that the third placed teams in the group stage of the Champions League enter the Europa League round of 32 . That doesn’t make games in the group stage of the Champions League also Europa League games, even though one can qualify for the Europa League round of 32 that way.

Or to view things from a TV perspective - those games will have “UEFA Nations League” graphics and presentation, not “European Qualifiers”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I’m really pushed to know what exclusive content Virgin Media Sport really does have at this stage.

They are going to have a lot of the content simulcast on their IPTV only sports service with the FTA acquired content on vm1.

I presume they have acquired the 53 epl 3pms that the ex setanta head has. They have all the Wednesday night champions league and Europa on Thursday. They have non Ireland soccer qualifiers.

With the Heineken cup, champions league rugby and 6 Nations rights they have you can bet your bottom dollar that the ex head of rte sport will be back on air.

I wouldn’t presume anything about those 3pms (33 of them - plus 20 other games which are on Prime Video in the UK) until an announcement is made, and even if they do get them it’s a full year down the tracks. I’d still personally be surprised if they went anywhere other than eir Sport, but let’s see what happens.

What we do know is that they have nothing exclusive at the moment. Those Champions League and Europa League games are on BT Sport. The European Qualifiers and Nations League are on Sky and ITV. The Heineken Cup is required to be shown free to air under the terms of its contract, and will also be on BT Sport. The Six Nations is not required to be shown free to air, but it will be anyway, and is also on BBC and ITV.

So nothing exclusive and €20pm for the privilege? I don’t see why any Sky or eir Sport customer would pay for this channel. At best it’ll stop Virgin customers moving to other platforms to get eir Sport - though the majority of those who were going to move probably have already at this stage. I think they’ve missed a massive trick by not including the broadband customers in the free offer (I’m not convinced they won’t do a u turn on that one either, but let’s see).

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    you can bet your bottom dollar that the ex head of rte sport will be back on air.

Haven't heard anything about Ryle Nugent's plans since he left RTÉ but I see another previous Head of Sport, Glen Killane, was appointed Deputy Director of Sport at the EBU last month.

Advertisement