Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that have changed in Ireland over the last 30 years

Options
1234568»

Comments

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Remember those 80's fridges? Little things hidden away under a counter that could hold a few bottles of milk and that was about it. You had to kneel down to see in.
    I'm not quite old enough to remember the 80s but I remember one shop still having one about 7 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Garda checkpoint up ahead and you'd see drivers furiously trying to belt up. People just didn't use them. The local council carpark had a sign reminding people to belt up and I've never seen a similar sign since. That was in the early nineties and by the late nineties it had all started to change.

Even rarer to belt up in the back seat.
    Getting hackneys around 1996 and I'd belt up in the back and drivers would comment on it as it was unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I remember my parents rolling down the car window and throwing any rubbish, wrappers, etc out without a thought about it.
    It wasn't so acceptable by the 80s but the old folks still did it. At least mine did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Thumbing for a lift at the local crossroads.

There was a special signal if the driver couldn't take you as they were not going the full way. But they wanted you to know they saw you and didn't just ignore you

Loads of people thumbing at 8am in the parish. Workers heading to the factory, students who missed the bus scoile and elderly people with no car

I can't remember the last time I saw thumbing! And I'm not talking about backpackers on the N6 outside Galway. Do Irish people not thumb anymore?

Yup. I remember it as a normal method of transport. (What year did the roads get numbers?)

Everyones afraid of rapists and psychos now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Milk came in glass bottles with the cream at the top.
    We walked or cycled to school. Bath on Sat night, then good duds on for mass on Sunday.
    If the hair was standing on ya, the ma would lick her hand and flatten it. (None of your fancy gels then).

During the hols you just went away for the day with your mates, never had to tell the folks. Just arrived home at dark.
    School books were re usable and covered with leftover wallpaper.
    There were sweets called spangles, marathon and opal fruits.
    You got 5p back if you returned a mineral bottle to the shop.
    FIghts used to be a few thumps then shake hands, now its a stabbing or murder.
    Pat Kenny worked for RTE..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

My Mother singing "Ennie Meenie miney Mo, Catch an N-Word by his toe." as she bounced me on her knee.
    "as tight as a Jew" was one of her fave phrases.

Nobody batted an eyelid.
    Teenagers using the phrase "living in Sin" to describe co-habitating.
    The Sun used words like "poofs" in their frontpage headlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

The DART

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I remember my parents rolling down the car window and throwing any rubbish, wrappers, etc out without a thought about it.
    It wasn't so acceptable by the 80s but the old folks still did it. At least mine did.
    Afraid to say that hasn't changed over the last 30 years. A lot of Irish people still have a terrible attitude regarding rubbish and illegal dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,294 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ongarite wrote: »
    Afraid to say that hasn't changed over the last 30 years. A lot of Irish people still have a terrible attitude regarding rubbish and illegal dumping.

People now just stop and empty out the boot of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

There's a lot less brown around these days I find. Looking back at family photos from back them there was a lot more brown around.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Not so.
    Many women who worked in the public service and semi-state bodies had to, it didn't apply to private sector.
    Even in the Public Sector it didn't apply to what were considered "wimminy jobs" eg Nursing,Teaching etc.
    Thankfully tht has changed to a great degree although women are still underpaid and under-represented in many jobs.

I see you. My mam had to give up her job when she had me 44 years ago. Was it good or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Multiculturalism

Is that spelt right Bertie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

There's a lot less brown around these days I find. Looking back at family photos from back them there was a lot more brown around.

I think it's the social that attracts them, I was told to come back when I was brown, I got a heart attack instead, and they accepted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Writing letters, email and Skype and text messages put an end to letter writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

"Sir" when addressing senior citizens has been somewhat superceded by " ya ould bolox. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Politicians are not as corrupt as they were in the 80s.

Were you listening to the 'Always wear sunscreen' song? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

new verbs- google it, i'll skype you

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Kids don't rob apples from orchards anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

We had fantasy football back then but no internet. Well there was the internet but not for most of Ireland.

Every player had a code in the Sunday World. Maybe Nigel Clough was 234

You needed a touchtone telephone and you called the phone number. The machine on the other side would prompt you to enter the code for your keeper, your defenders and so on.

You prayed this would go through succusfully as it took aaaaaaaaaages.

And that was your team for the season. No logging on smartphones for last minute injury news and making substitutions each gameweek.

We also had Football Manager like the PC game.

You filled up an application form and posted it in and waited to be assigned your team. If some other manager in Galway, Scotland, Wales, whereever had a player you wanted you wrote him a letter and waited for a reply.

Or you could fax the offer to them if they had a fax machine.

Actually fax machines are still used by football clubs for transfer deals!

Good times :D

Advertisement