Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that have changed in Ireland over the last 30 years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Still far less do today than 30 years ago.

Mad the way people working in banks smoked at their public tills, people in civil service offices smoked when dealing with the public... and this lasted up to the early 90s.

"I am having a fag!" springs to mind from the Harry Enfield Show.

You should see how many smoke breaks a day some people take at work. It's crazy, yet accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

You either don't sweat at all, only eat food that doesn't come through your pores or you smell. I can't go to work in a shirt without having a wash that morning. I'd feel grim.

You can have a wash without having a shower you know! We didn't have a shower in the 80s, bath once a week and a wash at the sink with a flannel in between.

I was thinking about this the other day. You don't see water pumps anymore, we used to spend many a happy hour there when we went down the country. Also you used to have the coal man coming around on his horse and cart, you brought your empty bottles back to H Williams for 2p, and I knew some country folk that didn't have indoor plumbing. Yes that was the (probably early) 80s! Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Flat screen tvs.

Decent beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

The date.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

Coloured chewing gum on the pavements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Boombastic wrote: »
    For 10p in 1983 you could get a bag of tayto, 5 ha'penny sweets, a box of cigarettes and the bus home..

Penny sweets were a penny, not EUR 2.40.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Lots more girls have vibrators and it's perfectly normal to admit it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Wossack wrote: »
    am a bit young to remember personally 30 years ago, but from looking at old photos and television, theres far more colours nowerdays then there used to be
    Yeah there have been lots of new colours invented since the 80's :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

One thing has changed and its prob not just in ireland- when I was a kid back in the 80s- kids played outside more often/played football outside or play other games outside- nowadays I find todays generation of kids spend a lot more time playing video games inside the house ps3/x box etc instead of playing outside which I find unhealthy- I think parents should set a limit on how many hours they leave their kids in front of the ps3/x box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Am Chile wrote: »
    One thing has changed and its prob not just in ireland- when I was a kid back in the 80s- kids played outside more often/played football outside or play other games outside- nowadays I find todays generation of kids spend a lot more time playing video games inside the house ps3/x box etc instead of playing outside which I find unhealthy- I think parents should set a limit on how many hours they leave their kids in front of the ps3/x box.

Whats changed since the eighties is not what adults are complaining about, but small details. Back then they complained about our zx spectrums and how they played outside in the snow in shorts, and had none of these video games and computers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Wossack wrote: »
    am a bit young to remember personally 30 years ago, but from looking at old photos and television, theres far more colours nowerdays then there used to be

a few years before that it was just two colours. black n white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

Where my bodily hair lives. Who'd have thought your balls could go bald? Sounds like something from Dr. Seuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

The National Anthem when RTE closed down for the evening. Before midnight most nights. Radio went off the air at 01:50

Northern Ireland was the main news headline almost every night.

While there are now more phones than people on this island, back in '83 we all shared a public phonebox. The nearest kid would answer and go knock on the door of whoever the call was for. Though things may have been improving by then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Smoking at work and in pubs is now illegal.

Ireland trades more in the EU and has the euro

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Im 27 and unless I had jsut done something physically demanding, gone out for a run or been working on the farm all day, i would only shower once or twice a week. I really don't understand these anal freaks who feel the need to shower once or twice a day

You must smell like an oul gooch most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Barbecues and sitting around outside in the sunshine on your garden furniture wasn't the done thing.

The closest thing to it was granny dragging a kitchen chair out to the back of the house to sit and keep an eye on us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

you can't buy a 54321 anymore and maurice pratt has gone off the telly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Organic, gluten-free, dairy-free, low GI diets.
    Girls weight-lifting.
    Private bin companies.
    Ethnic diversity
    Much less smoking
    Lovely white teeth
    Lack of 'buy Irish' campaigns
    More extreme cases of overweight and underweight
    Less acne
    Osteopaths instead of chiropractors
    Monstrous vehicles
    Orange bodies with white faces instead of vice versa
    Botox, fillers etc
    Open contempt for the church

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

The Catholic Church doesn't have the same stranglehold on the country. Thank fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Less traffic for sure....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

7ofBrian wrote: »
    The Catholic Church doesn't have the same stranglehold on the country. Thank fcuk.

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael don't still have the same strangehold on the ......oh wait, hang on.
    No, that's just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In the same breath, there are far more overweight people today.

Indeed, this is noticeable.
    Why the hell is this though? People should be more aware of what food is good/bad for you.
    There is still the same levels of sport, even more choice if anything.
    There are now gyms.
    The pubs are quieter.
    There are more slimmer foreign nationals who we can learn from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Indeed, this is noticeable.
    Why the hell is this though? People should be more aware of what food is good/bad for you.
    There is still the same levels of sport, even more choice if anything.
    There are now gyms.
    The pubs are quieter.
    There are more slimmer foreign nationals who we can learn from.

Back in the day everyone cycled or walked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Divorce, contraception, and abortion are all legal now.
    Homosexuality has been decriminalized.
    The death penalty has been abolished.
    We have had two women hold the office of President.
    We have motorways! ( well dual carraigeways but we think they're motorways):D
    We know what it is to qualify for the World Cup, we have beaten the English at soccer and cricket in major competitions.

However it might be said that we are now a lot greedier and less caring than we once were, and a lot less appreciative of the little things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Nobody eats Irish salad anymore.

Recipe:

3 leaves of Butterleaf lettuce
    half a tomato
    a scallion
    slice of ham or luncheon
    half a hard boiled egg
    a dollop of Heinz vegetable salad
    a dollop of Heinz salad cream

Method:

Arrange lettuce leaves neatly to one half of the plate. Spoon tinned vegetable salad artfully on one corner of lettuce leaf. Roll up ham slice and place opposite lettuce and surround it with tomato, egg, scallion. If you've been abroad cover egg in salad cream.

Serve with brown bread and/or white sliced pan.

Don't ask for seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

The media. Paedos are actually paedos. Not just some guy in a trenchcoat in your estate generally accepted as the local deviant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

No more piking hay into wines (and bottles of Harp while you were doing it)...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,743 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

- Music was better in the 80s as was the TV (this is before the days of wall-to-wall "Reality" TV and where every eejit can have their 15 mins of fame)

- Kids got more exercise (even me, the man who nowadays loves his car)

- If you were a little shit, you know you'd be in deep trouble.. especially if you were brought home by a neighbour/Garda (these days you'll be sent to the "naughty step" and your parents will threaten to sue the aforementioned neighbour/Garda :rolleyes:)

- The Church had far too much influence (although these days we have the EU)

- Politicians were still useless and corrupt (but these days we get to hear more about it - nothing changes though! :mad:)

- Buses were still useless, but they were more affordable

- Chocolate bars/crisp bags were bigger/had more in them AND were cheaper

- A takeaway was a huge treat

- A bath once a week was the norm

- It took about 20 mins to download a single MP3 file on dial-up

- It took about the same length of time to load a game from cassette (assuming you didn't have to adjust the heads with a jewellers screwdriver and start over)

- No "Political Correctness" cr@p!!!

- People didn't take offence at the slightest possible thing, or use it as an excuse to take offense

- Life was simpler in that everyone knew what was expected of them as a society and stress levels were a lot lower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Holy Hour on a Sunday....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    - It took about the same length of time to load a game from cassette (assuming you didn't have to adjust the heads with a jewellers screwdriver and start over)

or walk too hard on the wooden floor beside it :D

Worst of all, just as the game was loaded, my mam would flick the trip switch in the kitchen to let us know dinner was ready and sure hadn't we been playing the computer long enough :mad:

Advertisement