Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that have changed in Ireland over the last 30 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

My kids laugh at me when I tell them there was no yogurt in Ireland until the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Eeden wrote: »
    My kids laugh at me when I tell them there was no yogurt in Ireland until the 80s
    They're right! :P
    There was yoghurt in Ireland in the 70's. Tasted different to today though.
    Much more like sour milk with fruit in it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I can't get over the amount of prepared ready meals and convenience meals in supermarkets nowadays. I had none of that growing up. I'm only 24 but i've noticed a huge change in supermarkets in the past 7-8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Whats changed?
    I remember sitting (and sometimes standing) in the back seat of my fathers car, watching as he and other random and completely unknown car-drivers waved to each other on the rural roads.
    Also the proliferation of black and white Collie dogs who seemed to lay in ambush waiting to attack, bark and chase incoming traffic.
    Where'd they all go?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Flying to anywhere was fun

Getting to the aircraft didn't require a strip search

Taking a drink on the flight wasn't a crime.

Heating the house for the winter didn't require a mortgage

Property was worth buying

Builders took pride in what they built

Speed limits were sensible and understandable

Only lost tourists got told "you can't get there from here", Now, it's an every day occurrence in Central Dublin.

Visiting a relative in hospital didn't need a prior consultation with a financial adviser

Rubbish was rubbish, and went in the bin. Now, it has to be colour coordinated and has "value", which then means Value added Tax on top.

Being green was another word for jealousy. Now it's another word for being screwed for everything.

Computers came with a manual. Now, manuals come with a computer.

Kids used to fit 3 to 2 seats. Some of them now have trouble fitting 2 seats on their own.

Authors were responsible for the words they typed, especially on computer boards.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Lucozade was generally for someone sick in hospital!

http://davidkallin.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/lucozade.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Triangla wrote: »
    Dog poo was white before because dogs would be chewing on meaty bones day and night.

Dogs get fed well now so no more white poo. Plus less bones for them to chew on, mostly plastic toys.
    Bonemeal apparently caused white dog poo. Basically ground-up animal bones. It was used to bulk out most bargain-basement dog foods back then (in the same way that ash is used now). It was then recognised that feeding animals bonemeal was a primary vector for BSE/CJD and the species-specific variants, and afaik the use of bonemeal in animal foods was banned pretty much everywhere.
    This is why we don't see white dog poo anymore.

So probably not 30 years ago, but one bizarre thing I've noticed in the last five years is wetsuits. In the 80s if you went in the sea, you went either starkers or in speedos. Then in the 90s, you might wear a wetsuit if you were a windsurfer or have a jetski or something, but definitely only if you were an "athlete". Now I see kids wearing them whenever they go near any kind of outside water. I work on the Dublin quays and practically all of the kids jumping in are wandering around in wetsuits.

Probably a good idea in Irish waters (though sometimes you can't beat a good cold dip), but I've no idea where they came from. Maybe down the Aldi/Lidl special deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

You can get a sandwich that ISN'T sliced pan, ****loads of margarine and crumbed ham. Plus you can get a coffee outside of your own home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

A woman had to give up work when she got married up until we joined the EEC, so early 70's.

Not so.
    Many women who worked in the public service and semi-state bodies had to, it didn't apply to private sector.
    Even in the Public Sector it didn't apply to what were considered "wimminy jobs" eg Nursing,Teaching etc.
    Thankfully tht has changed to a great degree although women are still underpaid and under-represented in many jobs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eeden wrote: »
    You should never, ever see a male over the age of 25 in shorts!!
    Fixed that for you. Seriously, you middle aged lads who wear em, look in a mirror.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

mikom wrote: »
    I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now.

After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub.
    Then I apply an herb-mint facial masque which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine.

I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

You'll make someone a fine wife someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

ch750536 wrote: »
    You'll make someone a fine wife someday.

he may be referencing this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Wibbs wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. Seriously, you middle aged lads who wear em, look in a mirror.

Ageist:P

*looks in the mirror and accepts old Wibbsey may have a point regarding the aesthetics*:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now.

After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub.
    Then I apply an herb-mint facial masque which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine.

I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

I didn't realise David Beckham was amongst us.

Well done, you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser

We used to call that soap.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

http://davidkallin.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/lucozade.jpg[/QUOTE]

it tasted better too. what we have today is watered down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Styles, Tastes, Fashions. Technology, textiles, lifestyles... some for the better; yet some for the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Largeslice

You should probably stop sleeping in a bin

You should have a day off mate. Your'e a filthy farmer that doesn't shower and has made rubbish retorts back, you smell and you're from the back arse of nowhere, which probably smells worse than the unshowered back of your sack. Give up the jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Largeslice

There was a lack of serious drugs to take. No 2-cb, acid, pills or ket. No junkies polluting the streets and acting the capper mid-day in the middle of town. Say it was ****e craic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Thirty was classed as middle aged back then and people seemed to dress accordingly. In my old family album at home there are pics of my parents and uncles back when they were in their early thirties. With their drab clothing and hairstyles in the pics they could easily pass for people approaching fifty.
    It frightens me at the age of 33 to think what I could look like if the same mentality and fashions prevailed today, I'd probably look like this

http://cedarlounge.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/spi001.jpg

Oversized Y fronts and threadbare Penney's wifebeater vests were the underwear of choice for men back then.
    Smoking everywhere, in pubs, restaurants, public transport and workplaces. Thank God that's changed.
    I remember back then when our house was the only one on the block which had a telephone, we charged our neighbours 10p a call:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Largeslice wrote: »
    You should have a day off mate. Your'e a filthy farmer that doesn't shower and has made rubbish retorts back, you smell and you're from the back arse of nowhere, which probably smells worse than the unshowered back of your sack. Give up the jokes.

touched a nerve did he? bin living is tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Largeslice wrote: »
    There was a lack of serious drugs to take. No 2-cb, acid, pills or ket. No junkies polluting the streets and acting the capper mid-day in the middle of town. Say it was ****e craic...

there were lots of junkies in the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

There was barely a house without a Trocaire box during Lent, not something you see around that often anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Something happened today to me that hasn't happened in years.

I was walking through town (Dublin that is,the real town) and a stranger nodded to me and said hello.This never happens anymore,but I distinctively remember it being general practice when you made eye contact with a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It might be a slightly skewed view from being a child in the 80s but people had definite seasonal clothing back then. I had clothes my mother pulled out of a press around Easter and tried on from the previous summer to see what still fitted and those clothes got worn until I went back to school in September and then it was back into winter clothes. People wear the same clothes all year round now, it's not unusual to see people in winter with a t-shirt under a hoodie or cardigan, I don't remember every seeing anyone in the 80s with that look. It was all woolly jumpers and duffel coats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Something happened today to me that hasn't happened in years.

I was walking through town (Dublin that is,the real town) and a stranger nodded to me and said hello.This never happens anymore,but I distinctively remember it being general practice when you made eye contact with a stranger.

Thinly veiled pro Roma post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Boombastic wrote: »
    For 10p in 1983 you could get a bag of tayto, 5 ha'penny sweets, a box of cigarettes and the bus home..
    I remember buying them for 4 old pence. Probably early 60s

Wibbs wrote: »
    Differences I've seen? People tend to want instant gratification more and are more impatient. You see this in the media. While episodic series have story arcs the individual episodes need to be more standalone.
    You should correct the first paragraph on this page so ;)http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ResetButton

In Ireland people drink far booze more than they did in the early 80's and there are many more outlets for buying booze. Plus the style of drinking has changed. My dad liked wine, literally a glass a day, but he was considered odd in his choice. Before you had less daily drinking. Now people are happy to admit necking a bottle a wine of an evening, most evenings.
    There's a lot more alcoholics these days who drive to the bottle bank once a week than go to the pub twice a week.
    There was a much bigger gulf between urban and rural Ireland. Today with modern coms that's pretty much gone.
    I live near the border and love the fact that up here we got BBC etc. before the "cultured" Dubs. :)
    *edit* people are definitely fatter than they were, men and women. The "fat bloke" in my year was carrying a couple of extra stone and a round babyface, but he'd barely register as tubby today. Of the women I knew I can only think of one who was over size 14 and most were size 10.
    Yeah I thought it was an exaggeration til I passed a primary school yard last year. I'm only in my 20s and couldn't believe it. 10% were bigger than anyone was when I was in school and a good 20% were as big as the biggest ~15 years ago.

http://davidkallin.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/lucozade.jpg
    johndoe99 wrote: »

http://davidkallin.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/lucozade.jpg[/QUOTE]

it tasted better too. what we have today is watered down.
    Just seeing that gives me a hankering. There's some in the fridge but it would just be disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Just seeing that gives me a hankering. There's some in the fridge but it would just be disappointing :(

Remember those 80's fridges? Little things hidden away under a counter that could hold a few bottles of milk and that was about it. You had to kneel down to see in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Thumbing for a lift at the local crossroads.

There was a special signal if the driver couldn't take you as they were not going the full way. But they wanted you to know they saw you and didn't just ignore you

Loads of people thumbing at 8am in the parish. Workers heading to the factory, students who missed the bus scoile and elderly people with no car

I can't remember the last time I saw thumbing! And I'm not talking about backpackers on the N6 outside Galway. Do Irish people not thumb anymore?

Advertisement