Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that have changed in Ireland over the last 30 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Blue Nun has disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Back in the 80's children were not called young goats ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Brown was a lot more prevalent in the 80's. brown clothes on the kids (brown chord dungarees who thought they were a good idea?) brown runners, brown colour schemes in places (mobile homes were notorious for this, brown and sickly yellow or green) brown cars, do you EVER see a brown car anymore? Think I've typed the word brown enough now.

Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Homosexuality and contraception are no longer illegal. And the Catholic church has lost its death grip on the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

krudler wrote: »
    Brown was a lot more prevalent in the 80's. brown clothes on the kids (brown chord dungarees who thought they were a good idea?) brown runners, brown colour schemes in places (mobile homes were notorious for this, brown and sickly yellow or green) brown cars, do you EVER see a brown car anymore? Think I've typed the word brown enough now.

Brown.
    sh1te is still brown :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Boombastic wrote: »
    Back in the day everyone cycled or walked.
    Plus far less takeaway meals, most people ate meat and two veg type stuff as a main meal, less stodgy carbs going on and portions were smaller. Have a look at your grannies dinner plates, they're notably smaller than modern tableware.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Less traffic for sure....

Wow, thanks for that, so weird seeing the old hood from when I was a 4 year old. The depressing thing is, is that it's hardly changed at all! Grim as ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nineteen66

I remember thousands marching in the"Corpus Christi" processions in Galway in the mid 70's.Nearly every shop and business along the route had an altar in the window or doorway.Flags and bunting flew overhead and the whole town came to a standstill...........now we have the "Macnas"parade,it's much more entertaining :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Money!
    Late 70's & early 80's were a very bad recession in Ireland. There really was feck all oney going about. We're currently going through a recession as in we don't have as much money as there was during the boom.. But that recession was on the back of people having feck all money...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    It's not anal to want to shower every day.

Although people who do anal should shower every day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Homosexuality and contraception are no longer illegal. And the Catholic church has lost its death grip on the nation.

It's seeking a morning-after pill for abortion legislation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Indeed, this is noticeable.
    Why the hell is this though? People should be more aware of what food is good/bad for you.
    There is still the same levels of sport, even more choice if anything.
    There are now gyms.
    The pubs are quieter.
    There are more slimmer foreign nationals who we can learn from.
    Boombastic wrote: »
    Back in the day everyone cycled or walked.

Not even down to exercise I don't think, its the availability of more sh1te food. Diets were more plain with fair less variety with lower saturated fats and sugars.

Plenty of people are just as active, just the diet is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Music shops that had actual records in them, you could spend hours browsing through all the LP's and singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Nobody had lattes and panini for lunch.

Ban Gardai (and they were officially Ban Gardai) had totally impractical uniforms.

Schools smelled of chalk dust. What did that do to our lungs I wonder!!

Do many people wear snorkel anoraks anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

The libraries were used a lot more

People didn't really use face creams, lotions, hair products, anti-ageing thingys

WAY more free parking in Dublin (and probably most town centres in Ireland)

Braces (orthodontic) were very uncommon

Everyone had an address & phone # book and you'd normally remember a good few phone numbers for people you called a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The number of non white people has increased dramatically. I didn't see a black person in real life until I was about nine years old. It was many years later when I saw another one. I never thought I'd see the day when black people with Irish accents would be common.

The number of shops selling cheap tat. Years ago there was one Pound Shop in Carlow. Now there's about five of them in one street (although instead of selling things for a pound it will be something like €2.00 or €1.49).

It used to be customary for every tree in Ireland to have a plastic bag hanging from its branches. Trees still have cans, plastic bottles and sweet wrappers lodged in their branches but a white plastic bag is a rare sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Nobody eats Irish salad anymore.

Recipe:

3 leaves of Butterleaf lettuce
    half a tomato
    a scallion
    slice of ham or luncheon
    half a hard boiled egg
    a dollop of Heinz vegetable salad
    a dollop of Heinz salad cream

Method:

Arrange lettuce leaves neatly to one half of the plate. Spoon tinned vegetable salad artfully on one corner of lettuce leaf. Roll up ham slice and place opposite lettuce and surround it with tomato, egg, scallion. If you've been abroad cover egg in salad cream.

Serve with brown bread and/or white sliced pan.

Don't ask for seconds.

....gran?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

It used to be customary for every tree in Ireland to have a plastic bag hanging from its branches. Trees still have cans, plastic bottles and sweet wrappers lodged in their branches but a white plastic bag is a rare sight.

Still get the odd one, but thank jeasus for the re-usable bag trend. There was nothing more unsightly. Litter was seriously bad when I was growing up. Doesn't seem to be as bad these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Dublin Buses were either green or orange and you paid a conductor.

Holyhead and Liverpool were shopping Meccas rather than grim port towns across the Irish Sea - more so in Holyhead's case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

when auto-reverse twin tape decks were the mutt's nuts cutting edge technology.

listening to high-speed dubbing as it was actually funny while you copied your rich buddy's original Michael Jackson cassette

DJs annoying you by talking over the end of the song you were taping, as you'd have to wait to hear it again and get it without some DJ ruining it

codes for videoplus not really working, it was a first stab at series' link!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Before mobile phones if you got drunk and lost your friends on a night out you had to wander around like an eejit trying to find them.
    Also there's a much greater chance of you being filmed while drunk and making a fool of yourself, that used to only happen in wedding videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Those parking tickets you could buy in shops where you scratch off the date and time and leave it on your dash. Dead feckin handy because now you're screwed if you haven't got change for the parking machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Caliden wrote: »
    Those parking tickets you could buy in shops where you scratch off the date and time and leave it on your dash. Dead feckin handy because now you're screwed if you haven't got change for the parking machine!

scratching the numbers! very fancy, or the ones which came befre them, where you'd use your car-key to punch a hole in the numbers you wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Caliden wrote: »

they still have those in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You rarely got a trip "into town".

You didn't have to dash for the off license before they closed at 10.

Health and fitness were not very popular topics.

Sweets were more sour, to the point of making my tongue bleed once.

When buying jellies, the oul wans in the shop didn't use gloves and had hands covered in sovereigns to scoop up the jellies.

Eight year old kids could buy smokes and lighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Ush1 wrote: »
    Eight year old kids could buy smokes and lighters.

"One Major and a match please". And the shop had chairs so we could hang out there for our smoke. I remember it well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Things I miss from the '80's

Sizzler Runners from Dunnes (Adidas ROM if you were minted!)
    Electric Milk Floats
    Playing Squares and Kerb-ball - never see that today....

and a few special ones for Northside Dubs

Cecil the DJ in the Grove
    The Lark in the Park in St Annes
    How we all thought Artane Castle was "classy" when it 1st opened..
    Stopping off in Terry's on the Clontarf road for a '99 in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Collecting football stickers. Packet of them was around 12p. I remember having the Panini 1985 album, and the Kenny Daglish sticker was like gold dust.

Smuggling groceries from the north. Although the one bored customs officer used to just wave us on 90% of the time

Eating out was an extreme rarity, usually in the same hotel, and the only meal that was served was turkey and ham with spuds and brussel sprouts

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

A glass of orange juice was a starter on the menu if you went out for dinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Children dont play outdoors as much as we did in our day.

Children are more restricted in what they do, where they go etc etc

Health & Safety has become a uncontrollable monster as has political correctness.

Advertisement