Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Player Watchlist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭skippy15

Lemlin wrote: »
    On Chester from FFS:

Bruce also expects James Chester back in training over the next few days as he steps up his recovery from a hamstring problem. Chester is likely to miss out on this weekend’s home game against Palace, though, due to a lack of match fitness, with his manager somewhat reluctant to hurry him back after the decision to rush Robbie Brady into action after a hernia problem somewhat backfired.

Good day for injuries for me,
    Was looking at taking a hit on McGregor out for Myhill. McGregor coming back early against Palace could be a real bonus-
    Brady looking likely to get game time and Chester on the upwards mend.

How the hell did I end up with 3 Hull players? Bargain basement shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Just reading FFS there and the man who caught my eye in my quest to fizz up my defence between no and Xmas was surprisingly (to me anyway) Coloccini. Next 6 are Norwich (H) West Brom (H) Swansea (A) Man Utd (A) Southampton (H) Crystal Palace (A)

Only conceded 5 in 5 at home, 3 of which in same game, back fit and likely to return to team as Debuchy suspended. Down to 4.9m and very good shout for a CS this weekend.

But would transfering in two Newcastle players in the same week be an indication of complete nervous exhaustion brought on by FPL addiction causing certifiable insanity?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

FHFC wrote: »
    Just reading FFS there and the man who caught my eye in my quest to fizz up my defence between no and Xmas was surprisingly (to me anyway) Coloccini. Next 6 are Norwich (H) West Brom (H) Swansea (A) Man Utd (A) Southampton (H) Crystal Palace (A)

Only conceded 5 in 5 at home, 3 of which in same game, back fit and likely to return to team as Debuchy suspended. Down to 4.9m and very good shout for a CS this weekend.

But would transfering in two Newcastle players in the same week be an indication of complete nervous exhaustion brought on by FPL addiction causing certifiable insanity?

Not to mention playing a Norwich team who won their last game :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Remy is the only Newcastle player I would consider buying, wouldn't dream of buying anyone else from them, they are the most unpredictable team in the league.

Vlaar of Villa looks decent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

skippy15 wrote: »
    Good day for injuries for me,
    Was looking at taking a hit on McGregor out for Myhill. McGregor coming back early against Palace could be a real bonus-
    Brady looking likely to get game time and Chester on the upwards mend.

How the hell did I end up with 3 Hull players? Bargain basement shopping?

Did you see my post on the other thread? McGregor isn't completely out of the woods just yet. Here's a quote from Bruce on FFS:

“We’re hopeful Allan can be ready. He’s been able to train as normal, saving and taking crosses, but it’s just his kicking that we’re careful of. That’s where the problem was to start with but he’s been feeling a lot better with it. We’ll be testing him towards the end of the week before we make a decision but he’s certainly in our thoughts.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

BNMC wrote: »
    Remy is the only Newcastle player I would consider buying, wouldn't dream of buying anyone else from them, they are the most unpredictable team in the league.

I've started Krul 5 times this season and he's returned 28 points. That's 5.6 points per game for him in my team. He has 19 points from the last 2 alone and that was v Chelsea and Spurs. You're underestimating them. Good fixtures coming up too. Coloccini or Yanga-Mbiwa are both good options.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

8-10 wrote: »
    I've started Krul 5 times this season and he's returned 28 points. That's 5.6 points per game for him in my team. He has 19 points from the last 2 alone and that was v Chelsea and Spurs. You're underestimating them. Good fixtures coming up too. Coloccini or Yanga-Mbiwa are both good options.

Who's your other 'keeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,118 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's funny the way we look at things... I'm not saying I'm right btw, but I'd be looking at Krul and saying that the 13 points in his last game really distorts things.
    He got you 19 from the last 2.
    But only 7 from the previous 3.... and his average return for the season is just under 4 points per game.

Personally, I don't have much confidence in Newcastle, they hit a bit of form before the break but I'm not sure if that will continue.
    Again, just my thoughts, but Newcastle are a team I like to avoid.
    They'll disappoint more than they'll surprise you I feel.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Who's your other 'keeper?

Vorm. They rotate 36/38 games
    PARlance wrote: »
    It's funny the way we look at things... I'm not saying I'm right btw, but I'd be looking at Krul and saying that the 13 points in his last game really distorts things.
    He got you 19 from the last 2.
    But only 7 from the previous 3.... and his average return for the season is just under 4 points per game.

He might have got 7 from the previous 3, but I got 2 (Krul), 6 (Vorm), 9 (Vorm) so again an average of 5.6/game.

I'm not saying he's an option for every week, but in a rotation he's definitely worth considering. I'll be starting him home to Norwich this week for sure.

I agree that Newcastle are a frustrating team, especially if you have the likes of Ben Arfa or Cabaye. But I do think they are being underestimated defensively. They've conceded 5 goals in 5 games at home, with 3 clean sheets. (Arsenal, top of the table, have also conceded 5 in 5 but only 2 CS's).

Newcastle at home, where their next 4 fixtures are Norwich, WBA, Southampton and Stoke, are good rotation candidates right now defensively in my opinion.*

*cue barrage of goals from all these teams :pac:

He might have got 7 from the previous 3, but I got 2 (Krul), 6 (Vorm), 9 (Vorm) so again an average of 5.6/game.

I'm not saying he's an option for every week, but in a rotation he's definitely worth considering. I'll be starting him home to Norwich this week for sure.

I agree that Newcastle are a frustrating team, especially if you have the likes of Ben Arfa or Cabaye. But I do think they are being underestimated defensively. They've conceded 5 goals in 5 games at home, with 3 clean sheets. (Arsenal, top of the table, have also conceded 5 in 5 but only 2 CS's).

Newcastle at home, where their next 4 fixtures are Norwich, WBA, Southampton and Stoke, are good rotation candidates right now defensively in my opinion.*

*cue barrage of goals from all these teams :pac:

I thought you said he has got you 28 from 5 games... I was taking the last 2 (19points) games out which you said you had him that means that he must have only got you 7 points from the 3 other games that you played him. I wasn't talking about the previous 3 GW's, I was highlighting the poor returns from Krul for the first 3 times you selected him.

We'll agree to disagree on selecting Newcastle players. I hope I'm right...for a change :D

• Advertisement

Not to mention playing a Norwich team who won their last game :cool:

A Norwich team who have been disastrous away from home.

I'd not have rated any Newcastle player due to their inconsitency and after having Ben Arfa for a while, but Remy looks the part and their defence may well make sense for the next few games.

A Norwich team who have been disastrous away from home.

I'd not have rated any Newcastle player due to their inconsitency and after having Ben Arfa for a while, but Remy looks the part and their defence may well make sense for the next few games.

Well disastrous against City and Arsenal. Losing to Spurs and Hull (where Norwich should have won, 2 dodgey penalty calls going the wrong way) and beating Stoke so it's not as cut and dry as people may think.

But yeah it's impossible to call with Newcastle, I've been looking at them but for defenders I reckon I'll go down Villa or Cardiff in a week or 2 trying to boost some cash for my midfield operation and just keep away.

PARlance wrote: »
    I was taking the last 2 (19points) games out which you said you had him

Ah ok no I can see how you read it like that, I didn't actually get those 19 from 2, just the 13 v Spurs. I didn't start him for the Chelsea game :( , I was just highlighting that he's got good returns against strong opposition and has less-difficult ties ahead.

Another I would really like to have is Begovic. Another team struggling in the table and can be quite unpredictable, however solid at home defensively.

Well disastrous against City and Arsenal. Losing to Spurs and Hull (where Norwich should have won, 2 dodgey penalty calls going the wrong way) and beating Stoke so it's not as cut and dry as people may think.

Sounds less clear cut when you put it like that all right. Disastrous enough in terms of the stats though, which read played 5 away, won 1, lost 4 scoring only 2 goals. Combined with Newcastle's 3 CS from 5 at home still makes a decent case for a Newcastle CS this weekend to me.

Will leave it very late to see if any change re Chester (hoping about 3 Hull defenders get knocks and they have to rush him back) but will go with my gut then, as my defence for the next 2 to 3 weeks (without Chester) feels all wrong to me, and want to do something to change it up and have a wee differential.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Walcott at £9.1m. Interesting.

His return could be good for Ozil too in terms of assists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Kaboul could be a very cheap way into Tottenham defence..

He's back from injury. Played 45 minutes last week, and is starting this week.

Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Edit: He's 4.6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Invincible

Navas finally finding some form,could be a good alternative to Yaya for those of us with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Was waiting for that! Navas is not a bandwagon to get on...

roryc wrote: »
    Was waiting for that! Navas is not a bandwagon to get on...

If Navas nails a place in the team he's going to be a big hitter in FPL but I'd be holding on the see if he gets that regular game time though.
    Had the bugger in twice already this season. Didn't see today's game yet but from what I've seen, he links up very well with Zab. I'd consider getting both back in over time.

To repeat a question from the Transfers thread.... I see Lamela played the 90 today. Anyone know how he did? Spurs fans, is this likely to be the start of a run in the team for him? Have an eye on him for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,541 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

To repeat a question from the Transfers thread.... I see Lamela played the 90 today. Anyone know how he did? Spurs fans, is this likely to be the start of a run in the team for him? Have an eye on him for a while.

Pointless trying to judge any spurs player on today, they were all $hit

KevIRL wrote: »
    Pointless trying to judge any spurs player on today, they were all $hit

True, just thinking that as I posted. Also impossible really to guess if he, or anyone, will keep their place after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

barry bannan 4.4 palace. Mate of mine was at palace everton last week said bannan was the best player on the pitch. He got the winner yesterday against hull. Could be a decent cheap midfield option however with pulis in charge now bannan may need to go on growth hormones as he is a foot too small to play in a pulis team.

barry bannan 4.4 palace. Mate of mine was at palace everton last week said bannan was the best player on the pitch. He got the winner yesterday against hull. Could be a decent cheap midfield option however with pulis in charge now bannan may need to go on growth hormones as he is a foot too small to play in a pulis team.

He has a handy set-piece in him so could be a differential to Ravel as a chep mid in a few weeks. We'll have to see what Pulis does though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭qwabercd

He has a handy set-piece in him so could be a differential to Ravel as a chep mid in a few weeks. We'll have to see what Pulis does though :pac:

Mr P, you've seen a bit of Norwich recently. Has Fer been playing in the hole? Had him earlier in the season and always fancied he might come good for a few goals. I really rate him as a player just not fully convinced that he will score enough goals to warrant making my team. Not a bad price at 5.8m, Robbie Brady needs to get the boot soon.

Baines expected to be out for a month. Am I right in saying mirallas will be free kicks and corners? He took the corner for lukaku's late equaliser at the weekend. Had been contemplating bringing him back in, this could be enough to sway me. 7.2m and starting to pick up more points recently. Albeit it worries me that he gets substituted in most games (has only played 90 mins 3 times this season).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

qwabercd wrote: »
    Baines expected to be out for a month. Am I right in saying mirallas will be free kicks and corners? He took the corner for lukaku's late equaliser at the weekend. Had been contemplating bringing him back in, this could be enough to sway me. 7.2m and starting to pick up more points recently. Albeit it worries me that he gets substituted in most games (has only played 90 mins 3 times this season).

While it is tempting to bring in Mirallas..

I brought in Navas instead

Mr P, you've seen a bit of Norwich recently. Has Fer been playing in the hole? Had him earlier in the season and always fancied he might come good for a few goals. I really rate him as a player just not fully convinced that he will score enough goals to warrant making my team. Not a bad price at 5.8m, Robbie Brady needs to get the boot soon.

Himself and Howson seem to be interchanging there when they play with one up front, and then against West Ham with 2 upfront they were both deeper. Fer has 2 of his goals direct from corners. I wouldn't rush in for him and my Howson gamble hasn't worked out just yet either. They seem to take it turns to burst forward.

I'd say they'd be close on points by the end of the season. At 5.8 I wouldn't really be tempted, a fit Snodgrass would be a much better prospect or even Redmond back fit at 4.6 I think he is now, but competition with Pilkington there. Fer's a good player and a bit like Yaya but he'll get 2/3 points most weeks and for more than 5 you'd want a little more than that.

*A hat-trick against Palace now probably :pac:

Himself and Howson seem to be interchanging there when they play with one up front, and then against West Ham with 2 upfront they were both deeper. Fer has 2 of his goals direct from corners. I wouldn't rush in for him and my Howson gamble hasn't worked out just yet either. They seem to take it turns to burst forward.

I'd say they'd be close on points by the end of the season. At 5.8 I wouldn't really be tempted, a fit Snodgrass would be a much better prospect or even Redmond back fit at 4.6 I think he is now, but competition with Pilkington there. Fer's a good player and a bit like Yaya but he'll get 2/3 points most weeks and for more than 5 you'd want a little more than that.

*A hat-trick against Palace now probably :pac:

Yeah you confirmed what I expected. I think he got one of his two goals (against west ham) from open play. He's v.good in the air though, scored a bullet of a header for netherlands in the u21 world cup. He had a good goalscoring record with Twente which was what originally alerted him to me. 11 goals in 22 (8) games in 11/12 and 11 goals in 21(3) games in 12/13. Obviously gonna be more difficult in England though as we've seen before with numerous players.

• Advertisement

Yeah you confirmed what I expected. I think he got one of his two goals (against west ham) from open play. He's v.good in the air though, scored a bullet of a header for netherlands in the u21 world cup. He had a good goalscoring record with Twente which was what originally alerted him to me. 11 goals in 22 (8) games in 11/12 and 11 goals in 21(3) games in 12/13. Obviously gonna be more difficult in England though as we've seen before with numerous players.

Give him the winter or even next season and he could be a much better prospect. He really is immense in the air alright, been very impressed by that. He'll tick over but no more than that right now I'd imagine.

Those are great stats though even for the dutch league. Moyes was interested in Jan for Everton too I think but problems with the medical.

Advertisement