Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RVP or Bale? - The Big Question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

And also not match fit (still injured, even?) so even if it happened then he wouldn't be a cert to play both, if any, DGW matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Both
    My point is that Lukaku has a better chance of playing both games if Rooney isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Both
    roryc wrote: »
    He's £2.5m more expensive...

Yeah I know what you mean.

I have Lukaku in my team at the minute, but it's not sitting easily with me, I'm just not convinced he'll get both games, and I think I'll need to shift him in GW2 anyway. Might just leave him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bezuaua

Neither
    Yeah I know what you mean.

I have Lukaku in my team at the minute, but it's not sitting easily with me, I'm just not convinced he'll get both games, and I think I'll need to shift him in GW2 anyway. Might just leave him out.

I'm in the same boat: considering berbatov/bony/aspas...
    But if lukaku scores (1... 2... 3... ) against Hull... will mourinho remove him from the squad against Villa ??

Both
    Far too much choice in the striker bracket this year. You have existing big scorers like RVP, Aguero, Lukaku, Berbatov, Sturridge, Giroud, Lambert, Dzeko, Kone and Benteke. Then you have new arrivals such as Soldado, Negredo, Jovatic, The Wolf, Hooper, Aspas, Cornelius and Bony. And you have the possible resurgence of old big hitters as they arrive at new clubs, like Anelka, Bent etc.

Not to mention the likes of Suarez and Rooney, two players that could end up being key to whatever team they end up on. And we could see the return of past hero's like Torres, Cisse, Carroll, Ba etc.

Almost 30 realistic picks there, and we only get to pick three. One extra striker spot would certainly make it interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

I'm hoping Rooney doesn't go, makes a mess of my plans for Lukaku!

If Rooney does go to Chelsea or stays at United he wont have much pre-season time under his belt. At best for the first few games he'll be a sub. I wouldnt pick him at the start of the season until Jose/Moyes has properly run the summer big macs off him in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Kind of want Bale to leave Spurs so I can free up funds.

But regarding RVP - im still undecided if he is a necessity. But if Utd are playing well and he is on penalties; then he is 100% required!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

Neither
    Far too much choice in the striker bracket this year. You have existing big scorers like RVP, Aguero, Lukaku, Berbatov, Sturridge, Giroud, Lambert, Dzeko, Kone and Benteke. Then you have new arrivals such as Soldado, Negredo, Jovatic, The Wolf, Hooper, Aspas, Cornelius and Bony. And you have the possible resurgence of old big hitters as they arrive at new clubs, like Anelka, Bent etc.

Not to mention the likes of Suarez and Rooney, two players that could end up being key to whatever team they end up on. And we could see the return of past hero's like Torres, Cisse, Carroll, Ba etc.

Almost 30 realistic picks there, and we only get to pick three. One extra striker spot would certainly make it interesting...

That post reminds me of a racing commentator on the morning of the Grand National. He can always look back after the race and say he mentioned the winner! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Neither
    Quotes from villas-boas that confirmed what i suspected, that bale won't be risked while talks are on going, at least now i can fully take him out of my thinking for the opening gw.
    The Spurs manager, though, accepted it was unlikely Bale would be in contention to face Crystal Palace in their Premier League opener next weekend.
    He added: "If we manage to recover the player, but obviously he is far, far off fitness regarding what the others have done. It is three weeks since he played for Tottenham so I wouldn't expect him to play for us."
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8865114/andre-villas-boas-wont-say-any-more-about-gareth-bales-tottenham-future

still leaves a bit of a nagging that you want to be able to get him into your team for gw2 at home to swansea if it's been stated by then that he's not going to madrid, if talks are still ongoing expect another lame "not match fit" or mystery illness excuse for him to sit it out. i still expect him to go to madrid but i don't want to get caught out if he stays, are people going to keep money aside for him? i don't mind too much about gw3 because it's away to arsenal and then the window will be closed by the time gw 4 starts (wildcard time for a lot) so we'll know one way or another if he'll be at spurs for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Neither
    Hogey007 wrote: »
    Quotes from villas-boas that confirmed what i suspected, that bale won't be risked while talks are on going, at least now i can fully take him out of my thinking for the opening gw.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8865114/andre-villas-boas-wont-say-any-more-about-gareth-bales-tottenham-future

still leaves a bit of a nagging that you want to be able to get him into your team for gw2 at home to swansea if it's been stated by then that he's not going to madrid, if talks are still ongoing expect another lame "not match fit" or mystery illness excuse for him to sit it out. i still expect him to go to madrid but i don't want to get caught out if he stays, are people going to keep money aside for him? i don't mind too much about gw3 because it's away to arsenal and then the window will be closed by the time gw 4 starts (wildcard time for a lot) so we'll know one way or another if he'll be at spurs for the season.

ive stopped thinking about bale will probably captain soldado gw 2

• Advertisement

Neither
    ive stopped thinking about bale will probably captain soldado gw 2

i think i'll do the same, will more than likely be keeping money aside for RVP so if it was a must that i had to get bale in for gw2 i could just use up some of my RVP to get bale in for hazard and then sort out the RVP situation before the palace game in gw 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Mr.Prodston had slowly convinced himself that RVP would not be my MVP this season but a goal after 6 minutes has caused a lot of panic. There is no way I can watch him week in/week out and pray he doesn't score. I'm not sure I can do it for my mental health if nothing else :eek:

Back to the drawing board :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

Mr.Prodston had slowly convinced himself that RVP would not be my MVP this season but a goal after 6 minutes has caused a lot of panic. There is no way I can watch him week in/week out and pray he doesn't score. I'm not sure I can do it for my mental health if nothing else :eek:

Back to the drawing board :pac:
    Steady on. It's Wigan they're playing. Not exactly top opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

I'm still intending to go without RVP. But his brace today is making me think am I foolish..

Both
    I won't be picking RVP. A well taken header had me worried, but his second goal was shambolic. He should have passed and the weak shot was heading straight for the keeper until it got deflected. A flattering brace. And as above noted, it was against Wigan.

It could be really helpful though as it's likely his ownership will rocket now for casual players that make their teams between now and next Saturday. If us non-RVP managers can get through the Swansea game I think the advantage will be ours.

I won't be picking RVP. A well taken header had me worried, but his second goal was shambolic. He should have passed and the weak shot was heading straight for the keeper until it got deflected. A flattering brace. And as above noted, it was against Wigan.

It could be really helpful though as it's likely his ownership will rocket now for casual players that make their teams between now and next Saturday. If us non-RVP managers can get through the Swansea game I think the advantage will be ours.

Just the 37 matches to go then sure :pac:

I agree though and that's my main concern that his ownership will rise even higher. I've realised I really want him in my team now I just have to weigh up the economic rationality of it against my happiness of not having him. No Biggie :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭bodking

Both

Just the 37 matches to go then sure :pac:

I agree though and that's my main concern that his ownership will rise even higher. I've realised I really want him in my team now I just have to weigh up the economic rationality of it against my happiness of not having him. No Biggie :eek:

IMO RVP is not a must have and is way over priced when there are at least 8 plus just as good Strikers . and im not to fussed about Bale with Soldado up front .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Neither
    bodking wrote: »
    IMO RVP is not a must have and is way over priced when there are at least 8 plus just as good Strikers . and im not to fussed about Bale with Soldado up front .

realistically there are no strikers just as good. The question is is he worth the extra money for being so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

As Confucius once said: the cost of RVP to your FF team may be high, but the cost of his absence may be even higher.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

G1032 wrote: »
    Steady on. It's Wigan they're playing. Not exactly top opposition

LOL

It's Van Persie we're talking about, comfortably the best striker in England. He's gonna have a great season yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I see a few people starting to put RVP back into their teams. I won't be following suit.

The only thing that has changed is he scored 2 goals(1 heavily deflected) against a Championship side. We all know what he is capable of but if you didn't have him in your team at 2pm today I fail to see how a couple of goals against Wigan changes anything.

Neither
    bodking wrote: »

nevermind naming all 8, name one stiker as good as him in the premier league.

Benimar wrote: »
    I see a few people starting to put RVP back into their teams. I won't be following suit.

The only thing that has changed is he scored 2 goals(1 heavily deflected) against a Championship side. We all know what he is capable of but if you didn't have him in your team at 2pm today I fail to see how a couple of goals against Wigan changes anything.

I see your point as I'm one of the people who has currently flip flopped but it's more to do with convincing myself that he wouldn't score goals and blocking him from my consideration. He will!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

RVP is the best striker in the Premiership. He will be the top points scorer in FF.

But looking at Utd as a whole I have serious doubts that he will be score 30% better than Negredo or Mata or Soldado etc or 40% better than Lukaka or Bony or VanWolf.

Now if Utd sign a couple of world class midfielders to feed him then that might change but right now the rest of the Premiership has improved and Utd have stayed where they were. They will still be in the hunt for the title but I cant see them being dominant enough to make RVP worth the extra cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Both
    nevermind naming all 8, name one stiker as good as him in the premier league.

Neither

aguero as good as Van Persie?? I know football is about opinion but surely you don't think that's true. i'd have to imagine you're either an arsenal or city fan or else just very anti-united.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Aguero isn't even the best 11 million rated striker(Suarez all day long), never mind as good as RVP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Both
    aguero as good as Van Persie?? I know football is about opinion but surely you don't think that's true. i'd have to imagine you're either an arsenal or city fan or else just very anti-united.

Aguero was injured a lot last season. If he starts the same amount of games as RVP this season, I think he will outscore him.

Neither
    Aguero was injured a lot last season. If he starts the same amount of games as RVP this season, I think he will outscore him.

a fair few if's and might's there.

RVP has been head and shoulders the best striker in the premier league over the last 2 season's. that won't last forever but for now no one can deny he's the best.

(i'm not talking about value for money FF here, i was replying to a comment that said there was at least 8 strikers just as good as as him)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I don't have RVP in my team, at present, but for the people who do, or those who are working him in, IMO there's only one reason people would advise against having RVP: because they are afraid of not having him in their own team.

The reasons presented by some for not having him after yesterday are laughable IMO.

He has a tough start - when has scoring against Chelsea or any other top team bothered him before?

It was Wigan - yes they're poor but so are about 50% of the teams he'll face in the PL.

His second goal was jammy? I don't care if the ball hit the post and rebounded off his balls to roll in, once he puts the ball in the opposition net and its points I'm happy.

He's 14 million but its easier to downgrade rather than upgrade (although I have advocated having an 8 point hit plan to get him in) and he basically takes the captaincy conundrum out of the game most weeks.

I certainly wouldn't criticise or deter people from having him or bringing him in, despite not having him myself.

Advertisement