Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RVP or Bale? - The Big Question

Options
  • 17-07-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭

With the price list set now for the season to come it seems almost impossible to fit both Robin Van Persie @14.0 and Gareth Bale @12.0 into a well balanced team. While most will try it is a near impossible task.

I think that while of course everybody will run around looking for the next Michu the biggest issue in the lead up to Gameweek 1 is how to solve this conundrum. The one constant for everyone will of course be Norwich's Mickey Turner.

So who will ye side with? Or will ye go for both or perhaps neither?

Gareth-Bale-and-Robin-Van-Persie-1925725.jpg

RVP or Bale? 248 votes

Robin Van Persie
    0%
    Gareth Bale
    26%
    Dempseyneacy69BizzyCDadesgustafoFitzerPTristramRikandGordon GekkocdevWisesmurfmailburnerDammerspank_infernojolterSchismcurry-muffcrustyjugglerHank ScorpioInvincible 66 votes
    Both
    36%
    Dont be at yourselfthe whole year innT-b0n3bohsman[Deleted User]franmanroryc[Deleted User]BaldieGLaDOSronan.hFizmanDemocAnarchistom_kFutureGuymoreauDearg81ShaneUsaramPanthro 90 votes
    Neither
    17%
    SickBoyykt0di9url7bc3ZaphPOKERKINGrock whoreJoeyjoejoe43Binka3greenrizla'smuletideRobbieTheRobberIce87MagillbuilttospilljimmiiEddie EreNabyLadisthemanwill1977callaway92Degagunknown13 44 votes
    Who cares? I'm just mad for Mickey T
    19%
    Neil3030[Deleted User]uRbaNapplehunterDaysha00sullyRoonboxFeederredzerdrogSideshow MarkCorcs001sydthebeatrobfitz9870ph0rce0MaxPower89brock92AwayWithFariesseklly1mcampo1Footoo 48 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Thread needs poll

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

KevIRL wrote: »
    Thread needs poll

You can't put the poll in until the thread goes live seemingly, she's alive and well now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Both
    Bale - surely it will be a landslide?

I'd be surprised if any decent manager has RVP is their team come GW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

My first draft had RVP but now I'm Team Bale. My problem is as a United fan I'm not sure I can live with the stress of being both delighted and distraught at the exact same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Neither
    roryc wrote: »
    Bale - surely it will be a landslide?

I'd be surprised if any decent manager has RVP is their team come GW1.

very strong words against mister van perise? are you wayne rooney in disguise?

• Advertisement

Both
    He's overpriced at £14m, United have a new manager, and to put it bluntly he is due an injury. I've been wrong about him before though, and he severely dented my score last season.

Neither
    He's overpriced at £14m, United have a new manager, and to put it bluntly he is due an injury. I've been wrong about him before though, and he severely dented my score last season.

for me it's certainly not a clear cut decision, one that won't be decided until a lot of the transfers are done. whilst pricey, if RVP continues his form from the past 2 seasons he will be a major contributer to any team, for me the choice of top top strikers in the premier league isn't very good, whereas there is a lot of good midfielders to choose from if you don't have Bale. suarez being out for 8 matches leaves for me aguero and RVP as the only really 2 goal machines, a lot of people will be happy to have aguero leading the line and saving 3 million and i may well go down that route myself, if rooney goes to chelsea then he becomes very appealing and bale - rooney - aguero would be easily accomodated leaving RVP easier to leave out.
    You can't say a player is due an injury, any player could get injured, and even if they do then i'd have my choice of any striker in the game.
    Whilst united do have a new manager, i don't think a whole lot will change with their style of play, RVP will also be on penalties full time, something he wasn't for the first half of last season (he took a couple when rooney wasn't on the field)
    when i weigh up the bale side of things, it's near impossible to consider leaving him out too, so all in all, i really don't have a clue what way i'll go, it'll become clearer in the next 30 odd days, but certainly not a straight forward decision.

edit: and i do realise there are other good strikers like, benteke etc and new arrivals like bony that are good value but benteke will most likely have a new club to try to settle into and bony and RVW may take time to settle in? who knows

Both
    Obviously no decision will be made until mid August, but I can't see how I can fit both RVP and Bale into a decent team, and for me Bale wins.

As for due an injury, RVP has had issues with injuries for a while now and has been lucky to avoid them the last two seasons. If you fit him in your team you will likely make sacrifices across the entire rest of your team, so simply swapping him for another player if he gets injured won't work as you will need to spend a few weeks and transfers reinvesting the cash back in. The injury issue is minor, but I would consider him more at risk than others. Main point for me is the sacrifice to the rest of the team you will need to make.

Neither
    Obviously no decision will be made until mid August, but I can't see how I can fit both RVP and Bale into a decent team, and for me Bale wins.

As for due an injury, RVP has had issues with injuries for a while now and has been lucky to avoid them the last two seasons. If you fit him in your team you will likely make sacrifices across the entire rest of your team, so simply swapping him for another player if he gets injured won't work as you will need to spend a few weeks and transfers reinvesting the cash back in. The injury issue is minor, but I would consider him more at risk than others. Main point for me is the sacrifice to the rest of the team you will need to make.

how will this effect your decision?? apparantley the reason woodward left australia was for bale.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/gareth-bale-transfer-manchester-united-2060737

prob b/s but as a united fan i'd love to see it happen! really don't know what it would do for bale ff wise.

Both
    Hogey007 wrote: »
    how will this effect your decision?? apparantley the reason woodward left australia was for bale.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/gareth-bale-transfer-manchester-united-2060737

prob b/s but as a united fan i'd love to see it happen! really don't know what it would do for bale ff wise.

How does what affect my decision, the injury? Not at all, my decision is being made based on not being able to build a decent team around both RVP and Bale.

The other reasons above are just for people to consider if they do fork out the cash for both. I just can't see RVP having another 25+ goal season which he will need to do to justify the pricetag.

Bale going to United would be insane, in a good way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Neither
    rvp is only 1 million more expensive than last year so I think people are going a bit OTT about his price. If he starts the season well everyone will get him in regardless of the price. I plan to start with both as they are great captain choices which needs to be factored in.
    Bale has 50 % ownership and RVP 34 %. Would I be right in assuming price rises are based on a players ownership % on the first day of the season. Therefore if Bale was to start the season slowly we would see rapid price drops because of his high ownership.

Can't be persuaded to fork out that much, for either.

Benteke, Sturridge and Mata will more than suffice, with a generous drizzle of Coutinho on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Both
    KevIRL wrote: »
    Thread needs poll

Here ya go. ;)

5.+asal+usul+kartu+kuning+merah.jpg

I think I'll go without RVP to start, as others have said it's hard to justify that price tag. I can't see too many picking 'Neither' tbh.

Neither
    How does what affect my decision, the injury? Not at all, my decision is being made based on not being able to build a decent team around both RVP and Bale.

The other reasons above are just for people to consider if they do fork out the cash for both. I just can't see RVP having another 25+ goal season which he will need to do to justify the pricetag.

Bale going to United would be insane, in a good way :)

No I meant, how would the daily mirror link about bale to united effect your decision about bale or RVP?

As I said, I wouldn't expect the deal to happen.

And yeah I agree, it effects the rest of your team too much to have both bale and RVP, will be one or the other and will leave a lot of agonising matches when you don't have the other one and people have them captained at home to Cardiff.
    for what it's worth, I'd be leaning towards bale at the moment as I am basing that on rooney being at Chelsea, i'd have Bale, hazard, Aguero and Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The Mirror, ugh. Did they print a photoshop of what Bale will look like in a United jersey alongside their "scoop"?

I think a fully fit and starting Aguero could out score Bale and RVP over the course of the season.

Sturridge is another lad to keep an eye on if Suarez jumps ship.

I don't think I'll start with RVP but I'll certainly have a contingency plan to be able to get him in with a couple of transfers should the need arise.

Neither
    Lemlin wrote: »
    The Mirror, ugh. Did they print a photoshop of what Bale will look like in a United jersey alongside their "scoop"?

I think a fully fit and starting Aguero could out score Bale and RVP over the course of the season.

I don't think I'll start with RVP but I'll certainly have a contingency plan to be able to get him in with a couple of transfers should the need arise.

:D never did get that photoshop of a jersey on them business, pointless.

sturridge is definetly worth considering with liverpool's relatively easily start and suarez being suspended, or gone.

so far, 34% of people have RVP, if he doesn't hit the ground running in what is avery tough start for united i think his price will fall quickly, people won't have patience for a 14million pound striker. whichever of the two, (Bale, RVP) i leave out, i will also have a contingency plan in place. i'll more than likely use my wildcard for the international break so can get either in then if i need to, but from then on i'll have a plan to get either in with minimal transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm leaning towards neither, and of both, I think Bale's price is even more inflated than RVP's.

I'm also mildly reluctant to tick a poll option for "I'm mad for Mickey" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Neither
    Lemlin wrote: »

it will be interesting to see what formation city line up with.With them now signing negredo hopefully its 2 upfront to make aguero a worthwhile investment.

Both
    so far, 34% of people have RVP, if he doesn't hit the ground running in what is avery tough start for united i think his price will fall quickly, people won't have patience for a 14million pound striker. whichever of the two, (Bale, RVP) i leave out, i will also have a contingency plan in place. i'll more than likely use my wildcard for the international break so can get either in then if i need to, but from then on i'll have a plan to get either in with minimal transfers.

Yeah I can see RVP struggling at the start - they have Chelsea, Liverpool(A) and City(A) in their first 5 games. If he fails to score big in Aug/Sep and Aguero/Rooney/Sturridge etc do, his price will plummet to £13-£13.5m. FF managers are a fickle bunch, especially at the start when the full 2 million will be playing. Expect to see big price rise/falls over the first few weeks.

Part of the reason I'm picking Bale is he's more reliable, seems to be hitting form in pre-season, is £2m cheaper despite scoring about the same PPG as RVP, and there are a lack of decent 'big' midfielders this season. Bale is simply a must have imo. And once you realise this, your decision is not whether you pick Bale or RVP - it's whether you pick Bale + RVP and detract from the rest of your team, or just pick Bale. There's a cracking choice of strikers this season.

As for how this will affect my decision if Bale goes to United? Will consider it if/when it happens, but I don't think it'll change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Both
    Bale for me.

Remember he played on the wing for the first half of last year. When he moved into the centre he simply tore it up as he was able to avoid the shackles of being double teamed (remember Rafael and Jones vs Utd last xmas)

His #shots rocketed and he was in fact playing essentially as a striker being the most advanced player. He could be in Ronaldo category if with Utd/City/Chelsea it's just Spurs are SO flaky at times...

As Rory said the change of manager at utd,and also their tough starting fixtures really makes it an easy choice for me

• Advertisement

Both

As for how this will affect my decision if Bale goes to United? Will consider it if/when it happens, but I don't think it'll change anything.

Bale to United = Fantasy Football Ronny :pac:

14 million captain every game:eek:

Both
    moreau wrote: »
    Bale to United = Fantasy Football Ronny :pac:

14 million captain every game:eek:

Yeah but will he still be on free kicks/penalties? Like I said there's a lot to consider if he does move - it doesn't necessarily mean its a good FF move for Bale.

Both
    Yeah but will he still be on free kicks/penalties? Like I said there's a lot to consider if he does move - it doesn't necessarily mean its a good FF move for Bale.

That's true, I just got over excited when you said Bale to Utd:rolleyes:

Both
    With the price list set now for the season to come it seems almost impossible to fit both Robin Van Persie @14.0 and Gareth Bale @12.0 into a well balanced team. While most will try it is a near impossible task.

I wouldn't say near impossible!

I play FF with strong 11 and then four extremely weak subs (two 4 million def, one 4.5 million mid). No rotation as it wrecks my head too much. All subs would be starters in their (albeit weak) teams, in case of injuries etc.

In this case I can get a balanced team (I think anyway!) with both RVP and Bale.

It all depends on Aguero really or other transfers between now and start of season. If Aguero is in form pre season and injury free then he will be ahead of RVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Both
    I can't remember Bale ever taking a penalty for Spurs.
    And I don't think Bale would be more attractive in an FF sense if he signed for United, less so I would think.

As for the poll it's Bale all the way, as long as he doesn't get a serious injury I'd be fairly confident he will score more points than RVP, and he's 2 million cheaper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Both
    Bale is 100% in my team. RVP is currently not. 14m for Van Persie when there are some incredible options in the 9-11m bracket is a bit much. I can't see rooney going abroad at all so I have him in my current team in case he goes to Chelsea.Aguero and The Wolf are my other strikers right now.

Both
    I can't remember Bale ever taking a penalty for Spurs.

He takes them for Wales, so it wouldn't surprise me if he took them for Spurs. Defoe may be ahead of him but on current form I wouldn't be surprised if Bale takes over penalty duties this season.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Both
    Leaning towards Bale myself. United have a tough start and I think Aguero could be lethal this season.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Both
    He takes them for Wales, so it wouldn't surprise me if he took them for Spurs. Defoe may be ahead of him but on current form I wouldn't be surprised if Bale takes over penalty duties this season.

I think Adebayor would have been on penalties, Sigurdsson is also a penalty taker, didn't Bale miss a penno for Wales recently?.

Not to be dragging up the past here but would you rate Bale as one of the top 10 players in the world now? That was an interesting debate on here early last year, don't think anybody supported me, could be different if it was now!

• Advertisement

Both
    Haha I knew this would come up. I said last year Bale needed to prove himself last season to be considered in the top 10 in the world. I'm pretty sure he's either in most peoples top 10 by now, or very close. He should have as good a season as last year, if not better, and if this happens he should definitely be considered in the top 10. Look what happened with Rooney though, one or two good seasons isn't enough.

It's between him and RVP for best player in the PL atm, I'd lean more towards Bale as he is still getting better. I think he should stay one more season at Spurs and then move to United/Real/Barca.

Advertisement