Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A compulsory 'Broadcast tax' next on the list for homes in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

alastair wrote: »
    You're the one who claimed that since 'billions' watched the likes of Leno (they don't), they had a case for their large pay packets. By that exact measure (typical weekly ratings that I highlighted - not the annual TV pilgrimage that the Toy Show is) Tubridy is worth twice what he's actually paid. You're not backpedaling on that theory now are you?

Are American citizens obliged to have a tv license, or forced (by law) to unwillingly subscribe to public service broadcasting by way of a tax?

Just curious. Because obviously if they aren't, then it is completely irrelevant what Leno / O'brien or even Jerry Springer get paid in the USA. Therefore comparing RTE 'stars' (glorified civil servants) doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I just cannot stand his cheesy grin,empty one liners and bad interviewing techniques,i don't even know why they have him on at all..Maybe he slept with the director of the show or something..

Not for his talent.... As there is no beginning to it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Are American citizens obliged to have a tv license, or forced (by law) to unwillingly subscribe to public service broadcasting by way of a tax?

Just curious. Because obviously if they aren't, then it is completely irrelevant what Leno / O'brien or even Jerry Springer get paid in the USA.

I wasn't the one who suggested that was the model that should be applied to judging what they should be paid - I'm simply pointing out that they would be paid more on that basis.

Are you 'unwilling' to pay all of your taxes then, or is this just a selective description for the one tax?

There's no civil servants in RTE btw - glorified or otherwise. Tubridy isn't even an employee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Based on his ratings, and your insistence that the Leno model should determine his value, we clearly do.
    I never insisted his wages be increased under the leno model or any model,i think he should not get any increase..

You are doing the math with ratings,but you fail to realise in real terms where will this extra money come from..

There are more people being jailed for not paying thier tv license than ever before,that means in actual real life terms they are costing the states people extra public money,ie for their free/bed board for the duration that they are jailed..

You never answered my earlier question do you think it is reasonable that these people are jailed for not paying their tv license?

Do you think it is reasonable that some poor woman or man should have to pay their tv license before their electricity bill or getting their kid new shoes who have grown out of their old pair..

Is it reasonable for an a jobless man to pay for the increase in the tv license so tubridy can buy a new obnoxious 4x4?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Not a specific tax, but PBS does get some funding from state and federal government.

Anyway, whose crazy idea was it to suggest a US style ratings based salary model here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

alastair wrote: »
    I wasn't the one who suggested that was the model that should be applied to judging what they should be paid - I'm simply pointing out that they would be paid more on that basis.

Are you 'unwilling' to pay all of your taxes then, or is this just a selective description for the one tax?

There's no civil servants in RTE btw - glorified or otherwise.

I am on record of saying I own a tv license. It's bought each year (under duress) but I do possess one.

After Dobbos unprofessional outburst, and show of contempt for a member of the tax paying public (who fund his wages incidentally) I will be reconsidering very seriously, whether I renew it next year. I will replace my TV in the living room with something capable of showing tv programme's, but which isn't liable for TV license ownership.

Of course this broadcast tax will be an attempt to remove my freedom of choice by an outgoing Govt who have repeatedly shown it's disrespect for the people who voted them into power. Roll on the local elections I say.

Oh and by the way. They're nothing more than civil (public if you want to get pedantic) servants in my eyes.

Justify being paid €193k per annum from a bankrupt countries coffers to read the news from a bloody autocue Alastair.

This should be fun.

I never insisted his wages be increased under the leno model or any model,i think he should not get any increase..

Then you shouldn't have claimed that they should be paid on the same basis, should you?

Why did you suggest this model if you don't agree with the implications of it? Is it that it worked for you when you thought Leno attracted billions of viewers and the US had a billion people?
    There are more people being jailed for not paying thier tv license than ever before,that means in actual real life terms they are costing the states people extra public money,ie for their free/bed board for the duration that they are jailed..

You never answered my earlier question do you think it is reasonable that these people are jailed for not paying their tv license?
    Nobody ever got jailed for not paying their TV licence.

Then you shouldn't have claimed that they should be paid on the same basis, should you?
    I didnt claim they should be paid on the same basis,did i you are just fluffing my words is all youre doing ,GO BACK AND READ WHAT I SAID FFS..

I dont think he should get a pay increase full stop.

And why havent you answered my question,do you think it is reasonable for people to be jailed for not paying the tv licence,people who incidentally will cost more to the public tax payer for their bed,board,food and keep in jail..

Do you think it is reasonable for a jobless man or woman to pay this tv license,or as you suggested an increase in the tv license so we can pay Tubs more money to the tune of 2 million for one day per weeks work?

Do you find that a reasonable set up?

Now you are telling outright lies..

• Advertisement

I am on record of saying I own a tv license. It's bought each year (under duress) but I do possess one.

After Dobbos unprofessional outburst, and show of contempt for a member of the tax paying public (who fund his wages incidentally) I will be reconsidering very seriously, whether I renew it next year. I will replace my TV in the living room with something capable of showing tv programme's, but which isn't liable for TV license ownership.

Of course this broadcast tax will be an attempt to remove my freedom of choice by an outgoing Govt who have repeatedly shown it's disrespect for the people who voted them into power. Roll on the local elections I say.

Oh and by the way. They're nothing more than civil (public if you want to get pedantic) servants in my eyes.

Justify being paid €193k per annum from a bankrupt countries coffers to read the news from a bloody autocue Alastair.

This should be fun.

I doubt if many at RTE would cut it in the real commercial world of broadcasting, where all revenue has to be earned. RTE has it's licence fee, no matter how badly it does in raising revenue through advertising and selling programmes and whatever. It can afford to hold on to its low standard people and be cozy. It's stuck in the past with its format and would not survive without the lifeblood of the licence fee. Put all it's output on one channel as it seems to have trouble filling 2, maybe that would save some money.

I didnt claim they should be paid on the same basis,did i you are just fluffing my words is all youre doing ,GO BACK AND READ WHAT I SAID FFS..
    Here's what you said:
    I can understand in america why they might get paid huge amounts of money,i woulds say the viewership is in the billions and the population is there to support such payments..

Now you are telling outright lies..
    Not lying. No one ever went to jail for non payment of a TV licence. Simple fact.

After Dobbos unprofessional outburst, and show of contempt for a member of the tax paying public (who fund his wages incidentally) I will be reconsidering very seriously, whether I renew it next year.
    Of course you are. :rolleyes:
    I will replace my TV in the living room with something capable of showing tv programme's, but which isn't liable for TV license ownership.
    Adverts is a good place for selling your telly - best of luck.
    They're quite a distance from outgoing, but you show them what's what in the local elections!

This is on the irish examiner in may 2013:
    The number of people jailed last year for the non-payment of TV licence fines jumped by almost 50%, new figures show.
    According to figures provided by the Irish Prison Service, the number of people jailed for non-payment of TV licence fines last year rose from 183 to 272 — a jump of 89, or 48.6%.

The number jailed for the non-payment of TV license fines has increased more than five-fold in the past five years.

The figures for 2008 showed that 49 people were jailed; with 75 jailed in 2009; 152 jailed in 2010; and 183 jailed in 2011.

The proceeds from the €160 licence and commercial revenues are used to finance the stellar salaries enjoyed by RTÉ’s top stars, Ryan Tubridy, Pat Kenny, and Marian Finucane as well as the general RTÉ pay bill.

Figures released earlier this year show that 83 staff members at RTÉ are paid more than €100,000.
    The average pay at the station is €60,000 — almost twice the national average.

Those who do not pay the TV licence can face fines of up to €1,000.

The average cost of a prison space last year was €65,404.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/50-surge-in-those-jailed-over-tv-licence-fines-231261.html

This is on the irish examiner in may 2013:

Nobody ever went to jail for non payment of a TV licence. Ever.

Not lying. No one ever went to jail for non payment of a TV licence. Simple fact.

So the irish prison service is lying to me??Yeah the irish independant and irish times and examiner,all lies right?You on the other hand must be telling me the truth.. :)

Here is a source as to the amount of people going to jail over non complaince over the tv licence..

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/50-surge-in-those-jailed-over-tv-licence-fines-231261.html

Phoebas wrote: »
    In fairness - a few people have had a token sniff of a prison for evading licence payment:
    The figures show that of the 242 jailed, 236 were jailed for less than one day, with six prisoners staying in jail overnight before walking free.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/vast-majority-jailed-for-tv-licence-fines-walk-free-within-hours-1.1517596

It's true though that, as a matter of course, prisons just send tv licence evaders home. Any delay is just down to writing up their release.

Here is a source as to the amount of people going to jail over non complaince over the tv licence..

Going to jail, and then going straight home.

So the irish prison service is lying to me??Yeah the irish independant and irish times and examiner,all lies right?You on the other hand must be telling me the truth.. :)
    You should look it up in the legislation.
    There are fines of up to €2,000 (second offence). That's it.

Now there are penalties under the Fines Act for refusing to pay a fine. Or could could be done for contempt, but nobody has ever gone to prison for not paying the TV licence.

In this case the Irish Times, Indo and Examiner aren't being accurate - thank goodness for public service broadcasting, eh.

• Advertisement

Going to jail, and then going straight home.
    That shows that the system of jailing people is imperfect why not instead have them do unpaid work for a company under a community working order..

It shows the ineptness of the government and the flawed thinking in implementing the tv licence..

Why should paying for tubridy's salary come before getting a pair of shoes for young jimmy who has grown out of his small pair of shoes..

Why should paying the tv license come before paying for your 1.water 2. electricity or 3. rubbish bill or 4.The erroneous LPT.

can understand in america why they might get paid huge amounts of money

So - it's 'understandable' that they (US TV hosts) get paid for their ratings value, but that's not an understanding applicable here?

That shows that the system of jailing people is imperfect why not instead have them do unpaid work for a company under a community working order..

It shows the ineptness of the government and the flawed thinking in implementing the tv licence..

Why should paying for tubridy's salary come before getting a pair of shoes for young jimmy who has grown out of his small pair of shoes..

Why should paying the tv license come before paying for your 1.water 2. electricity or 3. rubbish bill or 4.The erroneous LPT.

It also shows that no-one is being jailed - despite all your scary stats.

I wonder though - does the criminalisation of all other tax evasion also show that there's 'flawed thinking' applied there too?

I didn't realise I had to buy young Jimmy shoes! No-one tells me anything!

Alternatively made to watch Turbridy for a week, to show a person the error of their ways and what they are missing.:D

So - it's 'understandable' that they (US TV hosts) get paid for their ratings value, but that's not an understanding applicable here?
    For one tubridy is a cr*p interiviewer ive seen better by miles,and he is only on once a week to present the show,and you said yourself he doesnt get the same level of viewership..

Those are the reasons i would not give him an increase,not only that,but is it really workable to increase the tv licence for all to pay??

You never answered my earlier question is it reasonable for people to pay for that increase that may not be able to afford it,is it reasonable for people to be fined and jailed because of this tv-tax?

For one tubridy is a cr*p interiviewer ive seen better by miles,and he is only on once a week to present the show,and you said yourself he doesnt get the same level of viewership..

I think I have a solution that will make you happy; we'll cut his salary in half, but pay him four times.

In this case the Irish Times, Indo and Examiner aren't being accurate - thank goodness for public service broadcasting, eh.

Its not a service they are not doing me a favour i can get all my news 1. international 2.National and 3.Local - all from the internet,without once stopping to see RTE's much talked about new fangled webpage..

I dont need to see that rubbish..

If it is a case where the times are reporting ill factual stuff and effectively lying to the public they can be sued - any newspaper worth their salt wont be doing that as it would cost them a few..

I think I have a solution that will make you happy; we'll cut his salary in half, but pay him four times.

No ,but what i would rather is that RTE would get a cheaper alternative for a tv presenter,that way we could all save some money and re direct it into proper programming..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Lets put some other things of note in the mix:

A certain percentage of the population will watch the Late Late week in week out even if a Donkey being led by a carrot was hosting, (actually I for one would).
    The Toy Show is a nostalgic trip down memory lane coupled with tradition at this stage. Even if a production team and host were to really f*** up royally, the same amount of viewers would tune in the following year.

Again, back on topic, holding the public to ransom under the guise of supporting home grown programming of questionable quality and ratio of home grown content should be scrapped and RTE should be majorly downsized to save the Taxpayer his blushes.

• Advertisement

For Reals wrote: »
    Lets put some other things of note in the mix:

A certain percentage of the population will watch the Late Late week in week out even if a Donkey being led by a carrot was hosting, (actually I for one would).
    The Toy Show is a nostalgic trip down memory lane coupled with tradition at this stage. Even if a production team and host were to really f*** up royally, the same amount of viewers would tune in the following year.
    Sounds like some pretty savvy programming formula then.
    For Reals wrote: »
    Again, back on topic, holding the public to ransom under the guise of supporting home grown programming of questionable quality and ratio of home grown content should be scrapped and RTE should be majorly downsized to save the Taxpayer his blushes.
    All taxation holds you to ransom. Just because you question the quality of the service doesn't undermine the principle, or the popularity of the service. Precious evidence of the taxpayer blushing about this tbh.

Advertisement