Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A compulsory 'Broadcast tax' next on the list for homes in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

So it is the owner of the house that would be responsible, not the tenants (assuming I had tenants)?

Whoever the letter is addressed to has to pay,for example the LPT tax is strictly addressed to the owner,not the tenant.

But of course the owner could lump the tax onto the tenant by way of percentage increase in their rent proportional to end of year payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

You know this conversation could go on and on and on, but I think I will let Matt Damon tell you what is wrong with the broadcasting charge.

http://daily.represent.us/matt-damon-blows-your-mind/

TireeTerror i will have to watch that when i get back gotta go out for a bit cya guys later! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I gave you those websites so you can look it up - Lazily googling it won't help, a lot of journos don't want you to know how it breaches your rights.

In a word if you really want to know its like an extortion charge,its like a loan shark coming up to you and threatening you to pay or a prison sentence and or a fine..

You're just spoofing now.
    Specifically which laws do you think the broadcasting charge breaches?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

They had no problem installing Fancy water meters in people's homes. What's the problem with knocking together relatively cheap boxes to receive RTE (for those wishing to view it) :confused:
    Do houses require multiple water meters for each household, and a phone line connection for each? Because that's what would be required for subscription boxes. Play out the outlay required for that vs a flat broadcast charge.
    How are the independent ones funded?
    monstrous pay and pension structures would be more apt.

Independent radio stations aren't subscription-based. Nor do they have the overhead that RTE radio carries - given the additional services it provides.

RTE doesn't have 'monstrous' pension structures. It hasn't even offered fixed-benefit schemes for twenty years or so. Pay rates there are comparible with other organisations, and clearly now lag behind for 'talent', if Pat Kenny's jumping ship is anything to go by.

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    When the analogue signal was terminated last October 2012, the public had no choice, but to get a new box, tv or have a tv provider like Sky, UPC, whoever, to provide the service. So it need not be a huge problem to have a box for RTE on subscription or demand.

Why would you equate a saorview box/telly with a subscription box? They're quite different things.

Look up the constitution for yourself,statute and common law,and see where the discrepancies lie. Im not here to help ya you lazy bugger. :)

You can find it on irish statute.ie,and constitution.ie etc. :)

I'm familiar with the constitution. I'm telling you that there's nothing there that conflicts with the government's right to impose taxation.

Now, you're claiming to know better - so why not back that up with some evidence? It's almost like you're just making stuff up. But surely not?

Whoever the letter is addressed to has to pay,for example the LPT tax is strictly addressed to the owner,not the tenant.

But of course the owner could lump the tax onto the tenant by way of percentage increase in their rent proportional to end of year payment.

You are aware that no legislation has been outlined yet regarding the payment mechanisms for a broadcast charge, so all your talk about letters etc is just supposition. And it's the occupier who will be liable, not the owner, so no need for any landlord shenanigans.

Any sign of those acts that deem taxation a breech of human rights? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

alastair wrote: »
    Do houses require multiple water meters for each household, and a phone line connection for each? Because that's what would be required for subscription boxes. Play out the outlay required for that vs a flat broadcast charge.

The technology is there to not require a landline (check saorview boxes) even sky don't require one these days alastair.

RTE switched off their analogue broadcasting a few years ago, anyone wishing to pick up their broadcasts were required to get the apparatus to do so, a Sky or UPC box, saorview or free view, I'm sure these boxes could be manufactured for in and around the same price as the saorview boxes, but they would certainly come in cheaper than the water meters.

Independent radio stations aren't subscription-based. Nor do they have the overhead that RTE radio carries - given the additional services it provides.

Oh I didn't suggest making RTE radio subscription based, I was asking how the smaller independents competed, the likes of today fm/Nova etc. Who Imo RTE couldn't gold a candle to.

What additional services do RTE provide that can't be found elsewhere incidentally?
    RTE doesn't have 'monstrous' pension structures. It hasn't even offered fixed-benefit schemes for twenty years or so.,

My bad.
    Pay rates there are comparible with other organisations, and clearly now lag behind for 'talent', if Pat Kenny's jumping ship is anything to go by.

Other organisations aren't funded by tax payers, nor will tax payers be threatened with legal action for refusing to contribute to their salaries.

Pay Pat Kenny million a year if they like. If it's not from tax payers money, how's that an issue for anyone?

The technology is there to not require a landline (check saorview boxes) even sky don't require one these days alastair.
    Saorview boxes are not subscription boxes! And Sky require a landline connection for the first 12 months of subscription, and constant continuing connection if you have a multi-room set up - which most/many people would require.
    RTE switched off their analogue broadcasting a few years ago, anyone wishing to pick up their broadcasts were required to get the apparatus to do so, a Sky or UPC box, saorview or free view, I'm sure these boxes could be manufactured for in and around the same price as the saorview boxes, but they would certainly come in cheaper than the water meters.
    They could be manufactured for as cheap as Sky boxes for sure - so that's the cost of a Sky box for each telly in your gaff, plus the overhead of a telephone connection to your box/boxes.

Oh I didn't suggest making RTE radio subscription based, I was asking how the smaller independents competed, the likes of today fm/Nova etc. Who Imo RTE couldn't gold a candle to.

What additional services do RTE provide that can't be found elsewhere incidentally?
    The independents offer much more limited programming. Which independent commissions and produces radio drama, runs an orchestra, offers Irish language programming, employs foreign correspondents, has a child-focused channel, provides educational programming, etc, etc...?

How is all that to be funded, if not by a flat levy and advertising?

Other organisations aren't funded by tax payers, nor will tax payers be threatened with legal action for refusing to contribute to their salaries.
    If you exclude semi-states that's true. But you still need to pay people market rates.
    Pay Pat Kenny million a year if they like. If it's not from tax payers money, how's that an issue for anyone?
    It's an issue if you're claiming they (RTE) pay above the odds. It suggests that, in that case, they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Why would you equate a saorview box/telly with a subscription box? They're quite different things.

In that people had to fork out for a box or subscribe to get RTE once the analogue was switched off. It would be no big leap, with ever increasing technology why subscription for RTE could be just as easy and as inexpensive. People could choose to have RTE or not.

In that people had to fork out for a box or subscribe to get RTE once the analogue was switched off. It would be no big leap, with ever increasing technology why subscription for RTE could be just easy and as inexpensive. People could choose to have RTE or not.

It's not a big leap - it just costs more (subscription boxes will never be as cheap as free-to-air boxes - there's always going to be additional complexity involved), and requires a connection to a telephone line. And that's not much of a viable alternative to continuing to pay the same as you ever did for a TV licence - with no additional outlay.

Just dont pay the stupid tax. In fact, just stop paying tax altogether and stop "obeying" as Matt Damon puts it, just do your own thing and allllll will be grand!

Just dont pay the stupid tax. In fact, just stop paying tax altogether and stop "obeying" as Matt Damon puts it, just do your own thing and allllll will be grand!

ymmv.

ymmv.

I have plenty of miles left in me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Phoebas wrote: »
    ^^ Made up nonsense.
    I'm saying check the web page from time to time to see for yourself? How is that made up?

The national gallery is also a mixture of state-subsidised, sponsor-subsidised, and ticket-subsidised. It's not a commercial operation though - just as RTE isn't. There are commercial elements to RTE, but it's never been intended to be a for-profit commercial operation. To imply that it should be runs counter to it's entire mandate.

That's the point isn't it? Why are we subsidizing a state/national broadcaster who spends our money on foreign programming to compete in the ratings with fully commercial entities? So they can attract more advertising revenue and afford produce 'Ear to the Ground' 3D?

RTE are no different to any other organisation in terms of their policies on advertising vacancies. You might recall that they've been undergoing massive downsizing for the past couple of years, which has had an obvious impact on the number of new advertised positions. Nothing unusual in that regard.
    Their policies must legally be the same, however the practice is as I've described.
    I'm talking decades here, (web since inception of course) not the last five or six years. I was at an RTE event once and a set of twins were there working for RTE. Seriously identical twins. I'm sure they both got in there by applying and interviewing etc. ;)

For Reals wrote: »
    That's the point isn't it? Why are we subsidizing a state/national broadcaster who spends our money on foreign programming to compete in the ratings with fully commercial entities? So they can attract more advertising revenue and afford produce 'Ear to the Ground' 3D?

Any national public broadcaster you care to mention will buy in foreign programming - as it's part of the expected and desired mix of scheduling that retains viewership. Ear to the ground is an independent production btw - it's not produced by RTE - they buy it in.

Their policies must legally be the same,
    Glad we're in agreement there then.
    however the practice is as I've described.

I'm talking decades here, (web since inception of course) not the last five or six years. I was at an RTE event once and a set of twins were there working for RTE. Seriously identical twins. I'm sure they both got in there by applying and interviewing etc. ;)
    Were they interns or employees though? There's no evidence to suggest there's anything untoward in that? Do you throw a wobbler when you find other related individuals working in any other businesses? Some people just naturally slip into the family business - it doesn't necessarily imply nepotism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I was at an RTE event once and a set of twins were there working for RTE. Seriously identical twins. I'm sure they both got in there by applying and interviewing etc. ;)
    I know a guy who is a Garda. His brother is a Garda and his sister is hoping to get into the Gardai. His father was a Garda as was his grandfather.

Obviously the only possible explanation is nepotism, right?

It does help if you have a relative in the gardai,my cousin my 3 uncle's and my other cousin are in the gards..

They don't shy away from saying it helps either..

It does help if you have a relative in the gardai,my cousin my 3 uncle's and my other cousin are in the gards..

They don't shy away from saying it helps either..

Any sign of those acts that deem taxation a breech of human rights?

Phoebas wrote: »
    I know a guy who is a Garda. His brother is a Garda and his sister is hoping to get into the Gardai. His father was a Garda as was his grandfather.

Obviously the only possible explanation is nepotism, right?

Such things do not go on in Ireland in RTE or an Garda, or wherever. Everything is above board. ;)

Such things do not go on in Ireland in RTE or an Garda, or wherever. Everything is above board. ;)

What things? No-one has suggested that anyone has a job that they didn't apply and qualify for in an open and clear manner.

What things? No-one has suggested that anyone has a job that they didn't apply and qualify for in an open and clear manner.

Don't be naive.

I can tell you of situations where i witnessed nepotism first hand,when i was in school principal and student,teacher and student,boss and son when i was working in a homeless shelter(he basically got a promotion over a guy who was way better than him at his work and excelled in every area of work)..

Thats just off the top of my head,i know everyones experience is different,but this is what i have noticed and there is a saying in ireland,its not what you know,its who you know..

Don't be naive.

You have evidence to the contrary? Because no-one has actually provided any so far.

Thats just off the top of my head...

Like the constitutional acts deeming taxation to be illegal?

• Advertisement

What the jesus are you on about how does that relate to what im talking about?Hold your horses there..

Advertisement