Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A compulsory 'Broadcast tax' next on the list for homes in Ireland

Options
  • 17-07-2013 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

Just when I thought they couldnt get any more closer to a dictatorship these clowns in Govt have decided that they will start charging each household on the country a 'broadcasting charge', and that it will apply regardless of whether you have a television, computer or any other device that can pick up public information.:confused:

(Even applies to pwople who have none of the above)

Will they decide next that everyone should pay motor tax regardless if you own a car, 'as everyone has access to the roads'?
    EVERY household in the country will be hit with a new Public Service Broadcasting Charge to replace the television licence fee next year.

Nobody will be able to refuse to pay the charge because it will apply regardless of whether you have a television, computer or any other device that can pick up public information.

The new universal charge will be collected in a way that tackles the current very high evasion rates of the TV licence fee - suggesting the payment mechanism could be modelled on the new property tax.

Currently nearly one in five households does not pay the TV licence fee and this is costing the government €30m a year in lost revenue.
    Announcing major changes to the way public service broadcasting is funded Communications Minister Pat Rabbitte today gave a commitment the new charge will not exceed the current €160 a year licence fee.

A public consultation into how the charge will operate will be launched shortly and Mr Rabbitte said ideally he would like to see it introduced by late 2014.

Mr Rabbitte said that he simply did not believe there were any households who could claim to have no access to public service broadcasting whether via television, radio or the RTE website on phones and computers.

“It’s not some of us should pay for, all of us should pay for it, we should not have freeloaders,” he said.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/every-single-home-to-be-hit-with-new-broadcasting-charge-29428338.html

Incidentally I pay my TV license each year and on time voluntarily, but I always had a choice.
    If I thought RTE was getting worse (if that was possible) I had the option to chuck the tv out, and watch non RTE shows via a laptop or xbox. This charge takes away one more of my choices I had, and how my hard earned cash is spent.

Keep it up Pat.

You're finished politically regardless, this will just give the disllusioned further reason to oust your dictating coalition come the G.E.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

SamHall wrote: »
    ... Will they decide next that everyone should pay motor tax regardless if you own a car, 'as everyone has access to the roads'?...

Thinking the same thing, ya beat me to it. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well - I do tune into RTE at 6 for the Angelus, for a full minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Thinking the same thing, ya beat me to it. :D

Pats summarisation
    Mr Rabbitte said that he simply did not believe there were any households who could claim to have no access to public service broadcasting whether via television, radio or the RTE website on phones and computers.
    Could quite easily be applied to the roads.

I can think of no one in this country that hasnt been a pedestrian on a public road, or a passenger or driver in a public road at some stage, and even regarless of this fact, the roads are there for all to use if they wish.

What a gombeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Access does not equal usage

I have a television (and pay my licence). I rarely if ever watch RTE. I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to any of the RTE radio stations. I NEVER visit rte.ie

As an aside why do we need 2fm? If there's a commercial need for that type of station the private sector can (and do) fill the void

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

As others have said access does not equal usage, i can understand compulsory taxes for neccessary services that everyone WILL use however a compulsory tax on a luxury like RTE that many might not choose to use is ridiculous especially when it is only to keep the bloated piece of junk afloat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I always find it odd that the Irish got so horny over the property tax, yet there is little protest against the TV tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm in favour for a public broadcasting charge, if it is exactly that. I think it should be used solely like arts funding for cultural programming, funding shows like Mrs brown or Fr TED, or prime time investigates etc. It should not be used to provide massive RTE salaries. Shows developed could then be sold at reduced cost to the commercial stations.

Without such a charge all we'd get is TV3 where the typical Irish show is Tallifornia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Marinjohn

Someone has to pay all those useless presenters their exorbitant salaries!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It'd be better for a start if they just stuck to being a 'public service broadcaster' and stopped importing and paying for shows like Shameless and Eastenders and CSI ect. ect. They need to stick to news and current affairs and throw in a bit of locally produced diddle e i and that kinda thing.

The amount of great Irish talent plying their trade across the water demonstrates that we could produce far better Irish based programming with better people for a lot less than giving out hundreds of thousands of euro per year to 'radio stars' and other 'stars' who have little to no real discernible talent.

RTE is a bloated monster barely worth a 20 euro annual subscription charge. It's utter madness to have a model of EVERYONE PAY 160 EURO NOW OR GO TO JAIL.

I wonder is there any way to stop Sky (a foreign broadcaster) hoovering up advertising revenue and subscriptions from a potential domestic broadcaster like Setanta or even TG4 through the showing of Irish sport like the Heineken Cup and some Irish soccer internationals. Eamon Ryan tried and failed at this though didn't he.
    There's also the issue that Irish subscribers are lumped in with the UK when broadcasting rights are sold off. Maybe nothing can be done on this one but UK (de facto Irish) rights are one of the most expensive in the world.
    Both of the above are direct revenue streams diverted out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 damned_junkie

I don't see how you can justify a 'Broadcast Tax'. I'm not asking anyone to broadcast anything and I'm not receiving what they broadcast. It's like Tesco taking it upon themselves to deliver me groceries and then sending me a bill, regardless of whether or not I take delivery of the groceries.

I don't have a TV, I don't own a radio, I don't use RTE player. What exactly are they taxing here? The radio waves passing through my head?!

I knew this tax was in the works but I thought it would take the form of a 'Computer Tax' or a 'Media Device Tax' or a tax on something tangible. I suppose they're taking this approach because a blanket tax is easy to enforce. To me that feels like they don't trust the citizens of this country to pay the tax they owe, which is kinda depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Marinjohn wrote: »
    Someone has to pay all those useless presenters their exorbitant salaries!

I think it 9 thousand sheeple have to buy a licence just to pay pat kennys wages..and hes just one of a couple dozen big earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

I'm in favour for a public broadcasting charge, if it is exactly that. I think it should be used solely like arts funding for cultural programming, funding shows like Mrs brown or Fr TED, or prime time investigates etc. It should not be used to provide massive RTE salaries. Shows developed could then be sold at reduced cost to the commercial stations.

Without such a charge all we'd get is TV3 where the typical Irish show is Tallifornia

It would be extremely naïve and stupid to think that any sort of tax would be used for the originally stated purpose in Ireland. This is a corrupt country where fairness and justice are way down the list of priorities for politicians. Lies and deceit have been the normal mode of operation, right up to the most senior people in successive governments.

These idiots have been groomed in the Margaret Thatcher School of economics and will behave according to form, regardless of which political party they may belong to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Its a bit difficult to separate out what falls under the public service remit and what doesn't or to figure out which bits pay their own way commercially and which don't.

Maybe a solution would be to cut funding to rte altogether and grand aid any channel that produces public service content on a programme by programme basis. Political minefield 'though.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

BBC Part funded Mrs Browns Boys, perhaps most of it and Fr Ted was UK funded also commissioned by Channel 4. RTE actually refused Fr Ted if I remember correctly

Primetime Investigates had to be shelved after costing a fortune in compensation

RTE do not make any good programming at all, TG4 would be better regarded. Alot of 'Irish Programmes' on RTE are actually made by private companies like Shanawil etc

Its unlikely that RTE would suddenly be able, or capable of making good home grown drama out of Donnybrook alone with or without funding. The whole model just doesn't work especially with a huge drain on resources down to inflated wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

RTE actually refused Fr Ted if I remember correctly

That's a long running myth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

If I was a cynical person.......

I'd say there may be a cartel evolving between RTE and the govt.

RTE: stuck for cash lads, can ye help us out a bit?

Govt: well, we could enforce a sham charge that's compulsory to be paid by each and every home in the country, regardless if they watch the Angelus or not, we would expect something back in return from yourselves though, what with our popularity plummeting and that.

RTE: ye'd have us in your back pocket, even less unbiased reporting?

Govt: done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I can understand the basis of a publicly funded broadcaster (although RTE has proven to be abysmal value for money compared to commercial broadcasters), but a flat charge for everyone is a poll tax and should be treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I always find it odd that the Irish got so horny over the property tax, yet there is little protest against the TV tax?

Well the tv tax is going to be an additional property tax (or rather accommodation tax as it won't require ownership).

Hitherto the tv licence was already 'there' so there was little point objecting, and was more avoidable and cheaper than property tax, and was also ring-fenced for national tv stations, unlike the LPT which is just there to plug a GDP/dept ratio hole.

But *get this* one of the rationales given for introducing the new tv tax is because RTE is losing advertising revenue by people switching over to other channels.

Couldn't we just drop one of the national stations? There aren't enough good programmes to go around them as it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Could drop a few orchestras too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Could drop a few orchestras too.

I'd happily pay to support an orchestra because it's hard enough for musicians to earn a living already. Given that such a profession requires a lifetime of practice and years of training says a lot about those who choose it.

What I don't like is paying a poll tax to support RTE as that organisation is a paradigm of many things I hate about this country. It's a closed shop, it runs a sycophantic media that can not be trusted, it's filled with supercilious fools that would otherwise be unemployable (tell me who else would hire Joe Duffy?) and above all, it's a monument to waste and inefficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

SamHall wrote: »
    Just when I thought they couldnt get any more closer to a dictatorship these clowns in Govt have decided that, it will apply regardless of whether you have a television, computer or any other device that can pick up public information.

Pat Rabbitte has jumped the gun a bit. The legislation clearly requires the household to own a TV tuner device before the tax is applicable. If he's saying he thinks public broadcasting should be supported by all householders, then that's a separate campaign/goal to the terms of the revised TV licence tax structure - which explicitly excludes radios, mobile phones, PDA's etc - in fact pretty much everything that is either hand-held, or lacks a TV tuner. If he means that he doubts many households won't be liable under the existing terms, then he's probably right - but not articulating his belief very well.

RichardAnd wrote: »
    I'd happily pay to support an orchestra because it's hard enough for musicians to earn a living already. Given that such a profession requires a lifetime of practice and years of training says a lot about those who choose it.

What I don't like is paying a poll tax to support RTE as that organisation is a paradigm of many things I hate about this country. It's a closed shop, it runs a sycophantic media that can not be trusted, it's filled with supercilious fools that would otherwise be unemployable (tell me who else would hire Joe Duffy?) and above all, it's a monument to waste and inefficiency.

Not sure what playing in an orchestra says about anyone.
    They certainly got lucky though.
    We'd all like to get paid for our hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Up to now we have had RTE and its funding, expenses, salaries and revenue a relative non transparent mystery to most of us. Now the Government proposes to give RTE an even bigger cheque book, so that it can keep us IRISH, and continue to dish out the likes of the late late show, patronizing presenters, the news and a lot of old hat rubbish. It will make sure that the top heavy over staffed organization continues to give employment to the D4 set. Instead it should be slimming down and become more efficient, it is not the BBC, it may think it is.

Not sure what playing in an orchestra says about anyone.
    They certainly got lucky though.
    We'd all like to get paid for our hobbies.

If by luck you mean years of work, study and hard graft then yes, they got lucky. I've known a few orchestral musicians and some of them practised music for up to eight hours a day. That's not a hobby and to name it as such is almost insulting to a professional musician.

RichardAnd wrote: »
    If by luck you mean years of work, study and hard graft then yes, they got lucky. I've known a few orchestral musicians and some of them practised music for up to eight hours a day. That's not a hobby and to name it as such is almost insulting to a professional musician.

They must be very precious.
    To professionally excel in any chosen area takes dedication.
    Stop trying to portray them as martyrs.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    That's a long running myth :)

Is it, Perhaps you have the details to show that it is a myth

RTE dropped the radio satire pieces and didn't take this show until it became such a big show across the water. It may not have been PC like Scrap Saturday seemed as far as RTE was which again proves the point. RTE only took it up as re-runs when it proved so popular on Channel 4

RTE cannot produce anything of quality given its dominant and aided position. Its nowhere close to BBC NI or UTV.

It survives as a company to pay huge wages to d-list celebrities, most of which would not survive in any world class broadcaster, some of whom are paid wages that world leaders do not command

The News output isn't considered groundbreaking and in fact many of the population seem to believe are not impartial or definitely hard hitting

The fact that advertisers are moving to other companies/mediums is a testament as to why this charge is unjustified

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well the writers of father ted said they never pitched it to rte, so rte could never have refused it

Is it, Perhaps you have the details to show that it is a myth

RTE dropped the radio satire pieces and didn't take this show until it became such a big show across the water. It may not have been PC like Scrap Saturday seemed as far as RTE was which again proves the point. RTE only took it up as re-runs when it proved so popular on Channel 4

RTE cannot produce anything of quality given its dominant and aided position. Its nowhere close to BBC NI or UTV.

It survives as a company to pay huge wages to d-list celebrities, most of which would not survive in any world class broadcaster, some of whom are paid wages that world leaders do not command

The News output isn't considered groundbreaking and in fact many of the population seem to believe are not impartial or definitely hard hitting

The fact that advertisers are moving to other companies/mediums is a testament as to why this charge is unjustified

The above post quotes a source that confirms the myth claim. To be honest, I actually always believed that RTE did indeed turn down Father Ted due to religious priggishness and a dislike for Dermot Morgan but it seems that it isn't so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Why not bring in a broadcast tax but make it €100 and charge every household. Besides those that are paying, paying too much and those that aren't paying nothing at all.

• Advertisement

well the writers of father ted said they never pitched it to rte, so rte could never have refused it

Would that have been due to RTE's dropping of Scrap Saturday, which was often deemed to political interference.

RTE are not ground breaking despite their notions of the Late Late

My Original point was to show that Mrs Browns Boys and Fr Ted were not RTE productions etc, but the point remains.

They cannot even do Primetime Investigates professionally.

They are not a PBS and they actually make VB's show on TV3 look good which is a sad indictment on Broadcasting in Ireland

Advertisement