Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A compulsory 'Broadcast tax' next on the list for homes in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

alastair wrote: »
    Just phone up Joe Duffy and ask for your dividend. He'll have your Late Late Toy Show tickets too.

And that's the winning RTE attitude that garners such public adoration and support ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Cant stand RTE.. They shouldn't even be allowed to broadcast,ill give one thing to the tv license TG4 is alright but TV3 same thing bunch of repeats and imports not worth the money they shouldn't be forcing us to pay for a sub-standard service..

What they are providing is rubbish and they are getting paid hollywood salaries for it!!

What a joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You should stop picking out on the smallest of things then you might have an actual argument instead of squabbling over figures..
    You based your actual argument on the figures. :rolleyes:
    Americas population is near enough to a billion as it is..Highlighting one mistake i made in bold and red font doesnt mean that your argument of paying the tv license is justified.
    It is nowhere near a billion - it's about a third of that.

The point still stands phoebas :) they dont deserve these bloated salaries,and to be pulling euros from both advertising and the people,it should be one or the other not both..and 4 hours work finuncane certainly doesnt deserve such pay,and tubs cannot interview for sh*te..

There are a lot of qualified journos/presenters that would be happy to do the job for a lot less,why doesn't RTE give them a ring and streamline the service to make it affordable for all of us..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

For Reals wrote: »
    And that's the winning RTE attitude that garners such public adoration and support ;)

There's no-one from RTE in this thread. The question got the answer it warranted.

• Advertisement

The point still stands phoebas :) they dont deserve these bloated salaries

How does it still stand when the figures you based it on are completely made up exaggerations? :confused:

Jay Leno (successful network talkshow host with a $15 million salary) pulls on average 3.5 million viewers over a weeks worth of shows. The Late Late Toy Show tonight will pull 1.5 million viewers in a day - and the typical Late Late viewer figure is 500,000 - so pretty much the same as Leno. Marion Finucane pulls 700,000 listeners over a weekend. There's not much of a difference in actual audience terms - and no-one is anywhere near billions.

If you judge the value of the host on Leno's salary and ratings, Ryan Tubridy should be earning twice his current salary, and that's not taking into account his radio ratings.
    Didnt you just repeat that,didnt you say that very exact same thing a few posts back..Spamming much??

As far as viewership goes...That is one night out of the whole year there is 365 days in the year , 52 weeks he doesnt get that level of viewership every week..

And your'e saying its okay to bankrupt the people so we can pay their f**cking gross bloated wages..?

Im just questioning your logic,i don't understand how you can not see the flaws in this way of thinking..

I just want to add,phoebas are you genuinely 100% happy? to pay for rte - television station that is not strong enough to survive on its own merit and compete with the many other better media sources out there? Are you happy to pay for a rubbish service full of repeats,imports like CSI miami and eastenders etc,and rubbish soaps such as fair city,the acting in it is atrocious it really is the sort of thing that would make you squirm in your seat its soo bad,ive seen childrens plays do better..

I could make two counter points; He mentioned television first and the rest as also rans or if in fact as you seem to say they were all listed and should be held in equal esteem.....either way my point stands. The only way your understanding would hold any water would be if he hadn't mentioned television at all.

I didn't realise he was listing them in order of ranking? What gave you that idea?
    If you don't indulge yourself in that kind of supposition, he quite clearly stated that he didn't believe there was anyone who didn't access broadcast material on the telly or online. End of story (unless you feel that android devices and laptops, let alone desktop computers and htpc's have been left out in the cold?)

As far as viewership goes...That is one night out of the whole year there is 365 days in the year , 52 weeks he doesnt get that level of viewership every week..

And your'e saying its okay to bankrupt the people so we can pay their f**cking gross bloated wages..?

Im just questioning your logic,i don't understand how you can not see the flaws in this way of thinking..

You're the one who claimed that since 'billions' watched the likes of Leno (they don't), they had a case for their large pay packets. By that exact measure (typical weekly ratings that I highlighted - not the annual TV pilgrimage that the Toy Show is) Tubridy is worth twice what he's actually paid. You're not backpedaling on that theory now are you?

• Advertisement

There are a few people i know who have no iphone (with premium internet access rates),no tablet,kindle,computer or even television why should they have to pay for these people?

Lets face it this was the governments big gift to RTE - the government mouthpiece sure they are all the same D4 crowd in montrose and the dail..That's half the problem with this country..

They should have been left to sink or swim and not be allowed to pull euro from both advertising and the people,it should be one or the other

There are a few people i know who have no iphone (with premium internet access rates),no tablet,kindle,computer or even television

Go on - you might as well throw radio into the mix as well - why not? :rolleyes:

What exactly are 'premium internet access rates' anyway?

What you said earlier read it carefully:
    Jay Leno (successful network talkshow host with a $15 million salary) pulls on average 3.5 million viewers over a weeks worth of shows. The Late Late Toy Show tonight will pull 1.5 million viewers in a day - and the typical Late Late viewer figure is 500,000 - so pretty much the same as Leno. Marion Finucane pulls 700,000 listeners over a weekend. There's not much of a difference in actual audience terms - and no-one is anywhere near billions.

If you judge the value of the host on Leno's salary and ratings, Ryan Tubridy should be earning twice his current salary, and that's not taking into account his radio ratings.
    No its actually not the same as lenos viewings,you deffo got it wrong there..

You're the one who claimed that since 'billions' watched the likes of Leno (they don't), they had a case for their large pay packets. By that exact measure (typical weekly ratings - not the annual TV pilgrimage that the Toy Show is) Tubridy is worth twice what he's actually paid. You're not backpedaling on that theory now are you?

So i got the figures wrong,so what?You gonna keep bringing it up,i'll bring up your little mistake too while we are at it..

Leno has a case for a larger paypacket it really is this simple ryan tubridy gets less viewers than leno..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

alastair wrote: »
    Jay Leno (successful network talkshow host with a $15 million salary) pulls on average 3.5 million viewers over a weeks worth of shows. The Late Late Toy Show tonight will pull 1.5 million viewers in a day - and the typical Late Late viewer figure is 550,000 - so pretty much the same ballpark as Leno on any given night. Marion Finucane pulls 700,000 listeners over a weekend. There's not much of a difference in actual audience terms - and no-one is anywhere near billions.

Now you're away in Toyland.
    The BIG difference is Leno doesn't have a captive audience, he needs to be entertaining and give a good standard of quality in line or exceeding his competition.
    Also I'd bet a great portion of that viewership has not got access to anything outside of RTE/TV3.

Certain people will watch the Toy show regardless of the host, it's a special one off show.

53% of those with only terrestrial TV prefer RTE and only 29% of those with other options available.
    http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/2DCF6FBE-4B19-4F41-BD78-1D0D5EC2C4D3/0/Presentation.pdf

Leno has a case for a larger paypacket it really is this simple ryan tubridy gets less viewers than leno..

Yes he does - but on a pro-rata basis, Tubridy should be earning twice what he currently earns ($1 million compared to Leno's $15 million). I'm simply applying the value measure you suggested.

The BIG difference is Leno doesn't have a captive audience,
    Tubridy has a captive audience?! (no he doesn't).
    53% of those with only terrestrial TV prefer RTE and only 29% of those with other options available.

Any US network would give their eye teeth for 29%.

Yes he does - but on a pro-rata basis, Tubridy should be earning twice what he currently earns ($1 million compared to Leno's $15 million). I'm simply applying the value measure you suggested.

I dont think we have the population to be supporting these bloated salaries,as what for reals said,RTE have a captive audience,jay leno does not so he has to work to earn his keep..Therein lies the difference,not just that but why should we be bumping up the tv license to 250 - sure we might as well why not? There are far more important people out there right? :)
    There are people who dont even get that in the week who have been layed off do you think it is reasonable for them to pay such amounts?More importantly do you think its workable.
    Do you know that more people are being jailed over the tv license than ever before,its gone on the increase,do you think that it is justice to have someone locked up (not only that they will never see that license money and we have to pay for their bed,board and food for the duration of their stay,courtesy of the taxpayer ie joe public),do you also think this is reasonable..?

Are you sure about that?
    The BIG difference is Leno doesn't have a captive audience, he needs to be entertaining and give a good standard of quality in line or exceeding his competition.
    Also I'd bet a great portion of that viewership has not got access to anything outside of RTE/TV3.

Certain people will watch the Toy show regardless of the host, it's a special one off show.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres...esentation.pdf

Leno pulls in about 175m viewers p/a and gets $15m - thats about 8.5c per viewer.
    Tubs pulls in about 26m viewers p/a. If we apply your payscales, Tubs should be getting around $2.125m p/a.

Leno pulls in about 175m viewers p/a and gets $15m - thats about 8.5c per viewer.
    Tubs pulls in about 26m viewers p/a. If we apply your payscales, Tubs should be getting around $2.125m p/a.

But more people may watch advertising/infomericals on that channel that jay leno is on..

Tubs is only on once a week too you have to remember that..

And where is this 2.125 going to come from...My pocket,some poor guys pocket who just got layed off work and has mouths to feed,clothe and educate..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Thankfully.

• Advertisement

But more people may watch advertising/infomericals on that channel that jay leno is on..
    Equally, more people may watch advertising/infomericals on the channel that Tubs is on.
    Well of course I remember it - I factored it into my calculation if you bothered to try and understand it.

Edit: The running time of the Late Late Show is about double that of Leno's Tonight show. Tubridy's potential earnings under your model keeps going up.

Thankfully.

I just cannot stand his cheesy grin,empty one liners and bad interviewing techniques,i don't even know why they have him on at all..Maybe he slept with the director of the show or something..

I dont think we have the population to be supporting these bloated salaries,as what for reals said,RTE have a captive audience,jay leno does not so he has to work to earn his keep.

But we do have both the population, and ratings to warrant doubling Tubridy's wages if Leno's ratings are anything to go by - as you suggest they are.

No telly programme has a captive audience in this country. If you can recieve any telly, you've got a minimum of five channels to choose from, and over 40% of households have cable, and then there's the 35% share of Irish households that Sky have.

To exactly the same ratio. It doesn't impact on the relative wage calculation at all.

Equally, more people may watch advertising/infomericals on the channel that Tubs is on.

Very doubtful.More people watching the toyshow?Nah dont think so.

You sure the population is there to support that?How on earth could more people in the whole of ireland,even if every single household tuned into RTE we still wouldnt have the same potential as american viewership levels..

Naturally there are going to be more chances of higher viewership in the U.S..Thats just the way the cookie crumbles..

But we do have both the population, and ratings to warrant doubling Tubridy's wages if Leno's ratings are anything to go by - as you suggest they are.

No we dont have enough population to be paying this assh*les wages,where is the money going to come from??Hey i know why don't we just increase the TV license so the jobless,minimum wage and middle class people can pay it for them..What a great idea!!!!!

I mean tubridys wages and lifestyle is far more important than mine,ill just be a spectator looking at the tv screen :)

Very doubtful.More people watching the toyshow?Nah dont think so.

You sure the population is there to support that?How on earth could more people in the whole of ireland,even if every single household tuned into RTE we still wouldnt have the same potential as american viewership levels..

Naturally there are going to be more chances of higher viewership in the U.S..Thats just the way the cookie crumbles..
    Are you familiar with the term 'pro rata' ? :(

Please try to understand the basic mathematics involved in ratings. Leno has a much larger potential audionce, but only gets paid for the actual ratings he achieves - a small enough actual audience compared to total population. Tubridy gets a larger share of a smaller audience, but based his actual (revenue-generating) ratings, and compared to Leno's wage-to-viewer ratio, Tubridy should be paid more then he currently is.

Are you familiar with the term 'pro rata' ?
    It means proportional. Yeah i know what you are trying to say but taking more money from the people to bump up tubridys wages is not okay on any level under any circumstances..

Enough is enough..

• Advertisement

No we dont have enough population to be paying this assh*les wages

Based on his ratings, and your insistence that the Leno model should determine his value, we clearly do.

Advertisement