Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A compulsory 'Broadcast tax' next on the list for homes in Ireland

Options
1252627282931»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

alastair wrote: »
    Of course you are. :rolleyes:

You're good at digging up posting histories. Mines there to see. Knock yourself out Al.
    Adverts is a good place for selling your telly - best of luck.

Thanks.
    They're quite a distance from outgoing, but you show them what's what in the local elections!

Time will tell obviously.

I see you're not justifying Dobbos pay.

I needed the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

For one tubridy is a cr*p interiviewer ive seen better by miles,and he is only on once a week to present the show,and you said yourself he doesnt get the same level of viewership.

You appear to be quite opinionated on a range of RTE presenters, for someone who has such an aversion to RTE services.

You're good at digging up posting histories. Mines there to see. Knock yourself out Al.

You've previously sold your TV? Or just made empty promises about the same?

Anyway - off to watch the Toy Show...

You've previously sold your TV? Or just made empty promises about the same?

Anyway - off to watch the Toy Show...

I've stated I've owned a tv license for quite a while now on various forums.

Enjoy the Toy Show. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

You appear to be quite opinionated on a range of RTE presenters, for someone who has such an aversion to RTE services.

I have watched them in the past,not too often mind you but just enough to put me off ever watching them again..

At least i had the decency to answer your question,you haven't bothered your arse to answer mine..

• Advertisement

I have watched them in the past,not too often mind you but just enough to put me off ever watching them again..

At least i had the decency to answer your question,you haven't bothered your arse to answer mine..

I'd say you're a closet RTE fan. The denial is too strong.

Your question? Oh, the one about selectively choosing which taxes you think you should pay? I'd honestly thought that was facetious. No, there's no case in that. Pick'n'choose taxation isn't a viable system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

I'd say you're a closet RTE fan. The denial is too strong.

Your question? Oh, the one about selectively choosing which taxes you think you should pay? I'd honestly thought that was facetious. No, there's no case in that. Pick'n'choose taxation isn't a viable system.
    No i refuse that accusation completley im not picking and choosing im happy to pay a lot of taxes for a lot of viable services..

Taxation for a medical services - Is viable,as its a life saving service..

Taxation for educational services - Is viable as it is an essential service,educating the nation,making them work ready.

Taxation for roads - Vital to get commuters to work,to boost the economy with travelling shoppers,and gets people from town to town city to city etc..

Taxation for RTE - Not vital at all.

No i refuse that accusation completley im not picking and choosing im happy to pay a lot of taxes for a lot of viable services..

Taxation for a medical services - Is viable,as its a life saving service..

Taxation for educational services - Is viable as it is an essential service,educating the nation,making them work ready.

Taxation for roads - Vital to get commuters to work,to boost the economy with travelling shoppers,and gets people from town to town city to city etc..

Taxation for RTE - Not vital at all.

Sounds like picking and choosing to me.

Well in the name of fairness, I gotta say hats off to RTE last night ref the toy show.

Might only be an annual show, but fair play to all involved last night.

(still hate the idea of a broadcast charge though)

Well in the name of fairness, I gotta say hats off to RTE last night ref the toy show.

Might only be an annual show, but fair play to all involved last night.

Agreed. One of the better ones. I've fallen in love with that wee girl from Tryone, and the whole Robbie Keane fan piece was a classic. Tubridy is at his best with the kids - an area where he outshines Gaybo and Pat.

• Advertisement

Agreed. One of the better ones. I've fallen in love with that wee girl from Tryone, and the whole Robbie Keane fan piece was a classic. Tubridy is at his best with the kids - an area where he outshines Gaybo and Pat.

"Rashers and Sausages" FTW. :D

This is almost certainly coming in now if this article is anything to go by.

In fairness to the Govt, I'd agree wholeheartedly that the state broadcaster shouldn't be able to avail of license and ad Revenue.

Still not convinced mandatory RTÉ tax is a good idea though. That's a removal of choice imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

This is almost certainly coming in now if this article is anything to go by.

In fairness to the Govt, I'd agree wholeheartedly that the state broadcaster shouldn't be able to avail of license and ad Revenue.

Still not convinced mandatory RTÉ tax is a good idea though. That's a removal of choice imo.

Hopefully one or the other.

To be fair, how can they impartially show home grown product over US or British programming if pandering to advertisers?

Hopefully the Communications tax will fade away too so we don't have to listen to all the Fine Gael heads and their, 'Sure we've been getting it for free!' 'How's it paying twice?' 'Enda's cousin is a great choice for the board, (not the car robber mind)' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

This is almost certainly coming in now . . .

After the property tax and the Irish Water fiasco, I can't see it this side of the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

gizmo555 wrote: »
    After the property tax and the Irish Water fiasco, I can't see it this side of the next general election.

The vast majority of people wont be bothered by this unfortunately, its only those of us who have cut the cable to tv companies and never watch RTE that it will affect and unfortunately we are still in the minority there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

There shouldn't be any broadcast tax or TV licence fee.
    If the society believes that there should be public media, they should be funded from general taxation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

We'll all be living in trees soon with all these ****ing taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

RTÉ had 2013 commercial revenues of €145.2m and licence fee revenues of €182.4m; it's hard to see how RTÉ will decide to move forward given the equal-ish split.

IMHO this has very little to do with the "Broadcast Tax"; this decision has very little impact on whether that fee is implemented - in fact, I'd say this move is a direct result of a government decision not to implement that fee.

I would point out though that RTÉ television only got €75.66m in 2013; RTÉ radio got €29.6; other services (orchestra, DTT, online) got €21.48m. The rest of the €33.26m (roughly 21%) of the revenue from the TV Licence went to TG4, BAI and An Post (for collection costs).

I see the societal need to fund things like the orchestra, the BAI, DTT, online services and Irish language tv/radio; but I would prefer any TV Licence or Broadcast Tax (whatever you want to call it) be entirely reinvested in maintaining and bettering our telecom infrastructure. This country is currently playing catch-up to install already outdated technology across the country. We should be, instead of paying idiots like Tubridy to do a ****ty show on TV that barely anyone watches, investing into future technology and infrastructure to ensure that we aren't doing all this catch-up again in a few years.

Advertisement