Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

There's already people queuing. I'm going to be up well before nine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    There's already people queuing. I'm going to be up well before nine.

Will demand not be so great that queuing for 'em is completely futile?

I would've thought these tickets would be hoovered up and gone by the time a couple of transactions are processed in-store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I would've thought these tickets would be hoovered up and gone by the time a couple of transactions are processed in-store.

Let's hope so, that will teach them not to be so stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

Fools, how funny will it be when the tickets are all gone by the time they get to the front? Laughable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I would give my life to see him. And people camping out already makes me feel so sick. Im in tears here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Do these shops have an assigned number of tickets to sell?

I would give my life to see him. And people camping out already makes me feel so sick. Im in tears here :(

You probably have just as much a chance as them. At least you're not sleeping rough. They don't seem to have heard of ticketmaster

I think my new year's 'lose weight' resolution might be working. Cant eat since all this has been announced. Sick at the thought of not getting any tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Brilliant :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I think my new year's 'lose weight' resolution might be working. Cant eat since all this has been announced. Sick at the thought of not getting any tickets.

Have you any friends in low places who could sort you out? With some beer and whisky to chase the blues away if you don't get tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Can they not get tickets online rather than camping out?

lazygal wrote: »
    Have you any friends in low places who could sort you out? With some beer and whisky to chase the blues away if you don't get tickets?

Thanks for the humour. Need that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Here we have it:

from here
    Proof that people who like crap music have no musical ability/appreciation. Thus why the masses like drivel like Garth Brooks, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber etc etc.

So there you are, go off and learn an instrument and your taste in music will explode.

[/INDENT]

This is from the article you are linking - how ironic can you get ;) - I couldn't have put it better myself.
    The main thing should be whether the performer or artist is bringing pleasure to someone’s life. If that pleasure is not harming anyone, it is bigoted and arrogant to mock that individual for enjoying it. We’re not the deciders of what is “real” or “proper” music, art, film, and so on. Shaming should cease so we can all listen and enjoy whatever we like – while recognising we are all capable of enjoying more and enjoying things in new ways. We just don’t have to.

I'm a big bag of nerves too.

You'll be a hard luck woman until you find your tickets and your man.

wow sierra wrote: »
    Brilliant :)

I cried tears from laughing so much at this.

'No more helicopters to the galway races'

This was one of my favourite bits of that video.

And he very much still has it.

After 17 years, 3 sold out gigs in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Did you get tickets? No luck here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

lazygal wrote: »
    Did you get tickets? No luck here.

Nope me neither. And I refuse to bow to those thieving bastárds on Done Deal or similar sites.

Application to become a Steward at the Croke Park gigs being typed up now.

Great to see Garth still has pulling power. I rememeber being wowed at the show in '97 so hope everyone who were lucky to get tickets have a similar experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I don't think he has "it" tbh. It's simply a case of lot of people behaving in a 'herd mentality and putting this man on pedestal - he's probably surprised with the reaction himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It's simply a case of lot of people behaving in a 'herd mentality and putting this man on pedestal
    I think the technical term for that is 'popular culture'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Reekwind wrote: »
    I think the technical term for that is 'popular culture'

No, this is different.

'Popular culture' is something like One Direction. Now, while I find One Direction deplorable, I can still see why they are popular, their music is never off the radio and they're always on TV - it's understandable.

This Garth Brooks craze is a different animal. My Facebook nearly exploded this morning with people proudly putting up pictures and statuses of their tickets.
    Now, a lot of these people would generally have the intelligence of a dishwasher. There is absolutely no chance that they are fans of Mr.Brooks. Seeing as his music is not on the radio, he's not on TV and they would not seek him out. This is simply a bandwagon, nothing more and nothing else.

BTW, I'm not out to insult the genuine fans, you're entitled to get excited about this. I'm just pointing out that there is a huge bandwagon here, as there is with a lot of things in Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

By a fan myself but I found it quite funny to see people either delighted at getting or in bits at not getting their "Gareth Brooks" tickets on my Facebook feed this morning. If you are that big a fan then at least learn to spell the mans name!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I have to laugh at guys my age queuing up for tickets for a guy I never heard you once say anything about him and he lasted played in Ireland when you where 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

The amount of people showing up in my news feed on FB boasting about getting extra tickets and wanting E200-300 per ticket sickens me. How can people be so mean? Fair enough you got extra tickets, fair enough you want to make a few squids but charging nearly 3 times the amount is just greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I'm curious to know if these people who queued for days have jobs to go to and what excuse they used to get out of work?If they are not in work where did the money for the tickets come from?.Do they not have a home and family to mind?Just asking!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

No but I've tickets here for sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Steve F wrote: »
    I'm curious to know if these people who queued for days have jobs to go to and what excuse they used to get out of work?If they are not in work where did the money for the tickets come from?.Do they not have a home and family to mind?Just asking!:confused:

Are you normally that concerned about people?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement