Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

mrolston wrote: »
    He recently released an album that is nothing but him singing other peoples songs

Arent most of his own songs also other peoples songs too? Not slagging him, I'm asking. I know friends in low places wasn't written by him but did he write the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Im just after watching Garth Brooks, Live from the Wynn. Its in the new boxset Blame It All On My Roots.

Two hours with him and his guitar.

Wow. It was amazing. He still has it.

One difference since 1997. Im not ashamed to say that I love him. And I always have.

hes fairly good on that show too. The album is fairly good, its a load of covers off songs on 4 different albums.

Please god i get 2 tickets i dont care if there seated or standing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

PTH2009 wrote: »
    hes fairly good on that show too. The album is fairly good, its a load of covers off songs on 4 different albums.

Please god i get 2 tickets i dont care if there seated or standing

I know. Im so desperate to get tickets that i'd be willing to spend more on getting tickets. There's always people who will buy to sell on and make money. So il definately be there and I cant wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It was that brief period when we being a redneck in Ireland was a bit 'cool'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The Gimp of Dundalk

The touts are absolutely gonna clean up. No shortage of people willing to pay silly money to see a redneck.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Anita B Jaynow

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It was that brief period when we being a redneck in Ireland was a bit 'cool'.

Christ, ar ou sayin tisn't nemoore?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The Gimp of Dundalk

Not since our own homegrown rednecks took the fun out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Gigs and Events forum is going nuts with Garth Brooks threads atm, there is the Croke Park Announcement thread, the Garth Brooks World Tour thread and Best Chance of Securing tickets thread. Its a bit of a mess, Lordgoat or Mr S should merge the lot under the Garth Brooks thread. Anyway my own two cents, I can't stand the man, ah well, plenty of festivals to be going to.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Here we have it:
    Dissonance [a sense of a lack of harmony] was strongly correlated with pitch-matching error for chords, which in turn was reduced by chord familiarity and greater music training.” This meant that the more a listener knew of what goes into a chord (which is three or more notes played at the same time), the more pleasure she got out of the music comprised of those chords. We can therefore learn to appreciate and love all sorts of music. Lindsay Abrams, at The Atlantic explains the study further:
    Trained musicians, perhaps predictably, were more sensitive to dissonance than lay listeners. But they also found that when listeners hadn't previously encountered a certain chord, they found it nearly impossible to hear the individual notes that comprised it. Where this ability was lacking, the chords sounded dissonant, and thus, unpleasant.

from here
    Proof that people who like crap music have no musical ability/appreciation. Thus why the masses like drivel like Garth Brooks, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber etc etc.

So there you are, go off and learn an instrument and your taste in music will explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Here we have it:

from here
    Proof that people who like crap music have no musical ability/appreciation. Thus why the masses like drivel like Garth Brooks, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber etc etc.

So there you are, go off and learn an instrument and your taste in music will explode.

[/INDENT]

Rubbish, you could go the other way and say it's musical snobbery at it's best because people appreciate catchy/easy to listen music that makes them feel good??, agree with some of the pop music out there at the minute yes a lot of it is dribble, but there is also a lot of very technichal music out there which is nothing more than showing off ability but has the listenability of a fork scraping a plate.

Playing an insturment yourself is great yes, and yes it opens up your musical aptitude a whole lot but it doesn't define what artists are good/bad. I play several insturments and Gareth Brooks is a legend, I love his music..

• Advertisement

What's with all this crap calling him Gareth ?

Its Garth.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

I know. Im so desperate to get tickets that i'd be willing to spend more on getting tickets. There's always people who will buy to sell on and make money. So il definately be there and I cant wait.

Hope you name does not come to haunt you in your hunt for tickets :D:D:D

Ascii wrote: »
    Hope you name does not come to haunt you in your hunt for tickets :D:D:D

Actually my name came from Garth Brooks himself. He sang a Kiss's song on a tribute album by various artists.

I think the album is on itunes, Kiss My Ass, Classic Kiss.

The song Hard Luck Woman maybe the only song on itunes by Garth Brooks.

Just one of my favourites.

Im not actually a hard luck woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Here we have it:

from here

[/INDENT]

So, you criticise people for having a narrow taste in music, then slag several artists based purely on popularity.

I've heard it all now.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Rubbish, you could go the other way and say it's musical snobbery at it's best because people appreciate catchy/easy to listen music that makes them feel good??
    You might want to read the article, either you didn't or you didn't understand it properly.
    Playing an insturment yourself is great yes, and yes it opens up your musical aptitude a whole lot but it doesn't define what artists are good/bad. I play several insturments and Gareth Brooks is a legend, I love his music..
    I don't believe for one second that you can play a musical instrument.
    It defines your appreciation and a person with a high appreciation of Mssr. Brooks obviously has neither musical talent nor a good ear for good music.
    So, you criticise people for having a narrow taste in music, then slag several artists based purely on popularity.

Err, OK. ;)
    The article proves with the research that people who listen to less sophisticated music, i.e pop like Bieber, or Mr. Brookes don't have much musical talent, ergo, know far less about music. Would you allow a street-sweeper/nurse/teacher to give you an opinion on what new type of carburetor your car is in need of? Hardly, you'd ask a mechanic.

You also need to properly read the article. It's not based on popularity, it's based on how narrow their 'musical talents' are, i.e, zilch, so if you have no musical talent then you cannot possibly appreciate good music properly.

The proof is in the published research.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gnashman

nm wrote: »
    Why does he not allow any of his songs on youtube?

What century is he in

dude if you look on youtube you will see that there is a concert from croke park the last time he was here on it

You might want to read the article, either you didn't or you didn't understand it properly.

It defines your appreciation and a person with a high appreciation of Mssr. Brooks obviously has neither musical talent nor a good ear for good music.

Err, OK. ;)
    The article proves with the research that people who listen to less sophisticated music, i.e pop like Bieber, or Mr. Brookes don't have much musical talent, ergo, know far less about music. Would you allow a street-sweeper/nurse/teacher to give you an opinion on what new type of carburetor your car is in need of? Hardly, you'd ask a mechanic.

You also need to properly read the article. It's not based on popularity, it's based on how narrow their 'musical talents' are, i.e, zilch, so if you have no musical talent then you cannot possibly appreciate good music properly.

The arrogance in your posts is unbelievable. You don't believe someone plays an instrument because they don't agree with your interpretation of a paper? Right. I suppose I may as well sell my guitars now then. I think you're the one who doesn't understand the articule properly. You realise the people who write the music for these pop artists are for the most part well trained in music? So if anything the paper you link proves the opposite to what you're claiming it does. You make it sound as if Katy Perry and all the rest pick up their guitar and write these songs themselves. They don't. The songs are written by musicians who know exactly how to write a song that will appeal to people.

Even aside from all that though, 'the proof is in the published research'? You linked to an article speaking about one paper. That is far from conclusive proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Err, OK. ;)

:pac: You really are a musical snob of the highest order. Every article every written is not known to be 100% fact, it's an opinion.

And yes I can play musical insturments and have been playing in bands for over 10 years. I like Rock music , Technical death metal , 90's music is my favourite , 80's , Irish folk music , Country music...just because I can play doesn't mean I am alienated from any particular type or taste nor does it define the type of music I like to play myself.

It's you who needs to open your appreciation and horizan, not me buddy.

Even aside from all that though, 'the proof is in the published research'? You linked to an article speaking about one paper. That is far from conclusive proof.

A peer reviewed paper proved evolution, is that not good enough for you?

:pac:
    Yea, you still aren't getting what the article/research said. No diff, have a nice wknd.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cathalobrien

I think the reason behind him being so popular is because his songs are quite catchy.

• Advertisement

Really? One peer reviewed paper?

Yea, you still aren't getting what the article/research said. No diff, have a nice wknd.

You're the one missing the point on what the article said I'm afraid. Which I already addressed about but evidently you'd prefer to go off on some tangent about evolution than respond to that.

I think the reason behind him being so popular is because his songs are quite catchy.

But his music isn't complex, so it must be awful :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I'm not a fan myself. But you're right, his songs are catchy. Why some people have a problem with people liking catchy songs instead of complex ones baffles me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

My sister introduced me to his rock version of The dance. My heart skipped a beat. I swear. It's beautiful and powerful.

What music do you listen to yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I like Garth Brooks and listen to a wide variety of different types of music myself. Often, the argument is made that because some music is popular, then it's bad. Now, this may or may not be the case.

Sure, there are a lot of overhyped boybands who sell themselves to young girls based on their looks more than their music. The sense of a factory production exists. As well as this, there is some pretty awful Irish 'country' acts out there that are hugely popular and whose style is merely the same as the boybands but with a country flavour. Mike Denver and his ilk come to mind.

There is other great music out there that is less famous of course. And there are artists who are very famous but their best music is often not as famous and reveal a lot more about the artist than their hits. Elvis, who recorded excellent blues and spirituals, is a huge example of such an artist.

There also tends to be a 'knock it if it is successful' attitude among people. Some successful acts do not deserve their success without doubt and were lucky (Mike Denver or One Direction maybe?). Others do and Garth Brooks (like it or not) is one of them and he set the bar for country stardom back in the early 1990s. Like many, he has recorded a lot of poor songs true but also some timeless classics and rarer sides sung with great passion. His excellent new covers albums show he is well grounded in classic rock, soul, blues, pop and country hits from the 1950s and 1960s and is a glimpse into the many different styles that influenced him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Garth Brooks is popular in Ireland because ...
    ... culchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

diomed wrote: »
    Garth Brooks is popular in Ireland because ...
    ... culchies.

Well we all know that that's not true.
    I went to a certain carwash in Santry (I won't say which one) and it was ****. My car is making a funny noise after coming out of it and the car is still fucking dirty. I was essentially robbed of 6 Euro. Thieving scum.

Da fuq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Well we all know that that's not true.

Da fuq?

Troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Spammer. I've reported them and put them in the spammer thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

Two days away from Thursday and I'm getting very nervous for Thursday morning ticket sales.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement