Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Ticketmaster tug-o-war again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭ronjo

And I bet you remember 'If tomorrow never comes' as well and maybe 'The dance'. 'Ain't goin' down til the sun comes up' is his best very famous hit, an attractive blues/rock hybrid.

Yeah, Chemical Bros, Verve and Prodigy (all that techno was massive) too in the 1994-1999 period. Earlier, there was all that rave stuff with 2 Unlimited and then there was Right Said Fred. Moby was more later on: 1999-2002 period.

I do remember "If tomorrow never comes". I dont know the other songs names but maybe I would recognise them.
    All I am saying that for me, knowing a couple of songs doesnt make his popularity "Off the scale" which is what I wsa replying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

5th date announced. That'll be sold out in minutes aswell I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

RebelSoul wrote: »
    5th date announced. That'll be sold out in minutes aswell I'd say

Where was that announced? Nothing online that i can see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

It's on Ticketmaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

It's like the mad rush to get a mortgage all over again... sure isn't everybody going to Garth Brooks, I'd better go too.

Madness.

(No I am not going)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Leslie91 wrote: »
    It's like the mad rush to get a mortgage all over again... sure isn't everybody going to Garth Brooks, I'd better go too.

Madness.

(No I am not going)

10% of the country is going :eek:

I don't think you could get 10% of the country to agree about which politician they'd want to spit on first!

and...

I'm so sorry but I have to be about 2 years old right now...

I'M GOING!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D :P :D:D:D :eek: *happy dance*

Had just bought tickets for my parents this morning to the Monday concert. Lost out on all 3 dates last time and I had been looking for 4 tickets at the time so figured I'd just try for 2 this time, selected 2 tickets for best available seats and got them, but they're up in the roof practically.

Even though I kinda want to go myself I didn't go back for more, partially because I felt I was lucky enough to get 2 and at that stage I'd probably wait ages and they'd be sold out. Was sitting trying to calm myself with a cuppa tea, listening to Tubs on the radio with cat on lap only to hear him say that news was just in, 5th date added.

Should I try for it? Feck it, I'll try for it. Clicked on the link the minute ticketmaster added the link to their facebook, picked 2 tickets and decided to chance looking for tickets in the lower Cusack stands. Got them! Delighted :) And I'm really happy about it because my dad works rosters and isn't guaranteed to be able to go on the Monday so having the 2 dates means that even if he's rostered for 2, he has more chance of being able to swap with someone for one of the dates off.

Good man Garth! Taking the wind out of the touts and scalps sails :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

5th date.

The fúcker should just move here and be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

If you pay Garth will play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Breaking News - GAA putting back All Ireland Finals to accommodate Garth Brooks 35th concert day sell out...

*disclaimer - may not be true (yet)*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Yipppeeee

Got the standing tickets I wanted for Monday and Tuesday. Have seats for the Friday.

Yipppeeeeee

Bring it on. Cannot wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

at this rate he will playing for a couple months here, not a fan of his but he has a few catchy songs that kinda stick with ya and you immediately associate with him, to think that he mentioned that he disliked playing here in an interview he gave years ago :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Wont this escapade of concerts make some money for Croker ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭PippaChic

Yipppeeee

Got the standing tickets I wanted for Monday and Tuesday. Have seats for the Friday.

Yipppeeeeee

I am so pleased for you HardLuckWoman, you deserve them after last week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Yipppeeee

Yipppeeeeee

and you need tickets for 3 seperate days why?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

WikiHow wrote: »
    Wont this escapade of concerts make some money for Croker ;)
    €750,000 x 5 i think...plus bar and food!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭argentum

Yipppeeee

Yipppeeeeee

I was wondering if you would get more tickets.Nice to see the real fans getting sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

to think that he mentioned that he disliked playing here in an interview he gave years ago :p
    Why does he dispise us and when do we start the retaliatory internet hate campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

€750,000 x 5 i think...plus bar and food!
    Not a bad weeks wages. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

And I bet you remember 'If tomorrow never comes' as well and maybe 'The dance'. 'Ain't goin' down til the sun comes up' is his best very famous hit, an attractive blues/rock hybrid.

Yeah, Chemical Bros, Verve and Prodigy (all that techno was massive) too in the 1994-1999 period. Earlier, there was all that rave stuff with 2 Unlimited and then there was Right Said Fred. Moby was more later on: 1999-2002 period.
    Moby started in 1991

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

I wonder how many of the first three gig tickets were bought by touts? Touts who are now stuck with tickets probably worth less than face value.

Even with some fans traveling from the UK or Europe I can’t imagine there being 250,000 or 300,000 Garth Brooks fans in Ireland.

Still this is a good news story all around.

Economy gets a bit of a boost.
    Real fans will be able to get a ticket.
    Touts will get burned.

Even with some fans traveling from the UK or Europe I can’t imagine there being 250,000 or 300,000 Garth Brooks fans in Ireland.

I think the capacity is closer to 80k per gig so it's more like 400,000.

That's not far off a 1:9 in the Republic.

When you consider the sectors of society who'd be too young or too old to go then you're talking probably closer to 1:5.

I think it's safe to say a vast number of people are going to 2+ gigs. And also as you state that a number of touts bought groups of tickets to resell.

He might be popular, but no act would get a ratio of 1:4 or 1:5 of the population up to see them.

I think the fact large numbers queued overnight shows, his fans are bit more diehard. I think if you'd wait out all night in the rain, you'd probably buy tickets to 2+ gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

I think the capacity is closer to 80k per gig so it's more like 400,000.

That was my point, 100,000 or 150,000 from abroad leaves 250,000 or 300,000 Irish concert goers.

Hopefully there are touts who bought 6 tickets for the first three concerts and are now stuck with them. I despise those parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Everyone will talk about the great Garth Brooks bubble of 2014, people buying 6 tickets for each of the five gigs, thousands of euro on the credit card on the promise that you'll easily flip them for five times their worth. People bidding against eachother for tickets on donedeal, spending upwards of €500 on a ticket worth €60 and telling themselves they got a great deal.

Then a week before the gig, all of those people who stockpiled tickets will try to sell them at the same time and realise that there just isn't enough demand for 400,000 tickets and they'll barely be able to give them away, never mind get their money back.

It'll be a national outrage, people on Joe Duffy blaming ticketmaster and the media for hyping up the gig even though they knew he was never that popular. Sob stories of people who are left paying back money on the credit card months later for a ticket they were never able to use because nobody wanted it. There'll be talk of debt forgiveness and asking NAMA to step in and refund everyone who paid scalpers massive money for their tickets.

It'll be carnage, I tell ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

to think that he mentioned that he disliked playing here in an interview he gave years ago :p

Think you might be mistaken because I'm pretty sure he always says the shows in choke park were some of the way he's ever done and the audience participation was better than ever experienced anywhere in the world. Even in recent interviews he's said similar things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Its all a media driven feeding frenzy.

You won't be able to give these tickets away come July.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kevinmcm

This might be the best post ever and also oddly spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this will be the biggest gig since the pope in Phoenix park in 79 (although he didn't play many tunes)

does this mean that Garth Brooks is more popular than the pope??

fryup wrote: »
    this will be the biggest gig since the pope in Phoenix park in 79 (although he didn't play many tunes)

does this mean that Garth Brooks is more popular than the pope??

1.3 million people went to the Phoenix park to greet the pope.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

1.3 million people went to the Phoenix park to greet the pope.

And 9 months later a load of 'em were giving birth to an army of little JPs. The country is going to be flooded with little Garths in 2015! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement