Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Garth Brooks so popular in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Why does he not allow any of his songs on youtube?

What century is he in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

I'd bet many of you Garth Brooks haters secretly love him and his music but you won't admit to it.

I don't hate him (don't love him either), but the youtube thing is nuts, im genuinely wondering about it

nm wrote: »
    I don't hate him (don't love him either), but the youtube thing is nuts, im genuinely wondering about it

Yeah, I haven't a clue about that. He's not on itunes either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, I haven't a clue about that. He's not on itunes either.

He refuses to deal with Apple / iTunes. He doesn't agree with their policy of selling individual songs / singles as he considers himself an "album artist" and his songs do not stand alone.
    He's not alone in this... off the top of my head AC/DC, among others have a similar policy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

nm wrote: »
    Why does he not allow any of his songs on youtube?

What century is he in

Apparently he doesn't let iTunes have any of his music because he doesn't agree with the single downloading format. He wants his music to be listened to as it was recorded - as full albums. I presume he doesn't allow his music be used on Youtube for the same reason.

EDIT: Joe got there before me. I don't know about AC/DC, but I definitely think Garth Brooks must be one of the last men standing on this policy. I presume Prince probably takes a similar approach? He seems anti-internet in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Nermal wrote: »
    There's an old adage that country music is for people with big hearts and small brains.

I find the people who think up statements like this tend to be the ones lacking in the brains department.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

washed up roundy cowboy..........only the irish bafoons would pay hand over fist to see this fella
    Out of interest What concerts do you go to seeing that you are so judgemental?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I may or may not be spending my food money for the next two weeks on a ticket...I've a couple of friends in the US who want to get tickets for this, they think it's insane that Ireland's been chosen as the place for his first big show. There were rumours that he would start off in Nashville, but nope. Here. It's actually crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I may or may not be spending my food money for the next two weeks on a ticket...I've a couple of friends in the US who want to get tickets for this, they think it's insane that Ireland's been chosen as the place for his first big show. There were rumours that he would start off in Nashville, but nope. Here. It's actually crazy.

No, not surprising, because we have the biggest bunch of bloody Cowboys this side of Nevada.

Yee-hah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'm going to try and go for the craic and a bit of a sing a long a heap load of gargle. Be great if the sun comes out.

If I'm lucky ill even go and shimmy into an oul one and bring her home.

With any luck, I'll be there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I was in the Ibiz hotel in clondalkin Dublin today, and the manger was telling me that the hotel is booked out solid for the dates of the two concerts in July , Already.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I discovered the Youtube absence a few years ago, when I wanted to listen to 'The Dance'. Or maybe it was 'Standing Outside the Fire'. It's annoying, but I can't help thinking that the lack of Youtube stuff will mean more people want to see him live. I got quite enthused when I heard about the shows. Don't know if I'd go, but I would love to hear/see more from GB.

I liked the tunes and even more so - the lyrics - of his hits.

I think he was popular because there were a lot of people similar to myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hes not on spotify either

hoping to pick up tickets next thursday

Luckily I've about four places to stay in Dublin so don't need to worry about accommodation for the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Chucken wrote: »

God might answer your prayers. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Chucken wrote: »
    COUGAR ALERT!

I discovered the Youtube absence a few years ago, when I wanted to listen to 'The Dance'. Or maybe it was 'Standing Outside the Fire'. It's annoying, but I can't help thinking that the lack of Youtube stuff will mean more people want to see him live.

I think the complete opposite, there are loads of bands/artists I know from youtube that I now like and have gone to see live. Without youtube, I would never have bought a cd (or whatever those ancient things were called) and wouldn't be a fan.

That dinosaur attitude is surely costing him new fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Was delighted to hear this announced, will definatly be trying my hand at tickets next week. I think he's a great artist and songwriter, and his music isn't just for the middle aged I'm 26!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

He retired far too early. Like two world tours ? But it was for his kids, so thats understandable.

Glad to have him back.

I hope he goes crowd surfing again and I get to feel his ass.

I had some Garth Brooks music on my ipod but not a lot. About 50 songs. My sister is a huge fan of Brooks and she must have the whole lot from him. She added her Brooks music to my ipod. I used to have a lot of his tapes as a kid. I remember asking santa for a walkman and a garth brooks tape when I was about 10.

My love for him went dormant some where along the way. I'm reintroducing myself to his music and loving it loads. So many brillant songs.

I'm getting nervous about next Thursday's concert tickets release.

This so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

A real blast from the past. Know the words to more of his songs than I care to admit to.

This is one of my favourites. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mrolston

Garth Brooks is a gigantic hit all over the world. He is one of the greatest selling artists in the history of American movie, and not just in the country genre. He recently released an album that is nothing but him singing other peoples songs, and it went to the top of the charts and became the best selling album in America in less than a week. It is crazy how everything this guy touches turns to gold no matter what it is that he does. It has to upset other people in the industry that he is able to outsell them by singing songs that aren't even his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

mrolston wrote: »
    Garth Brooks is a gigantic hit all over the world. He is one of the greatest selling artists in the history of American movie, and not just in the country genre. He recently released an album that is nothing but him singing other peoples songs, and it went to the top of the charts and became the best selling album in America in less than a week. It is crazy how everything this guy touches turns to gold no matter what it is that he does. It has to upset other people in the industry that he is able to outsell them by singing songs that aren't even his.

Garth Brooks is a good artist with an output of various types of songs. I have all his albums and his recent covers album is excellent: many cover versions are poor compared to the original but here Garth can sing them with conviction and he does not copy the originals note for note. He brings in his own approach.

For me, 'The thunder rolls', 'Ain't goin' down til the sun comes up' and 'Long neck bottle' are among the best blues songs by a country artist in recent times. 'The dance', 'Tomorrow never comes' and 'Friends in low places' played much more to pop audiences but in a way that yet maintained Brooks' bluesy country vocal approach which made these songs in his hands very listenable. A bit like 1970s country artist (and previous jazz and blues singer) Charlie Rich's 'The most beautiful girl' and 'Behind closed doors'. The feeling is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

God i love a denim shirt tucked in to high waisted wranglers.

Garth Brooks is a good artist with an output of various types of songs. I have all his albums and his recent covers album is excellent: many cover versions are poor compared to the original but here Garth can sing them with conviction and he does not copy the originals note for note. He brings in his own approach.

For me, 'The thunder rolls', 'Ain't goin' down til the sun comes up' and 'Long neck bottle' are among the best blues songs by a country artist in recent times. 'The dance', 'Tomorrow never comes' and 'Friends in low places' played much more to pop audiences but in a way that yet maintained Brooks' bluesy country vocal approach which made these songs in his hands very listenable. A bit like 1970s country artist (and previous jazz and blues singer) Charlie Rich's 'The most beautiful girl' and 'Behind closed doors'. The feeling is there.

My sister has his new boxset - Blame it all on my roots - and she added the whole lot to my ipod and it's brillant. Two dvds came with the set - one of him in concert in vagas. She's just after getting around to watching it and she said 'he still has it'. It's going to be epic seeing him in concert and performing live.

• Advertisement

Im just after watching Garth Brooks, Live from the Wynn. Its in the new boxset Blame It All On My Roots.

Two hours with him and his guitar.

Wow. It was amazing. He still has it.

One difference since 1997. Im not ashamed to say that I love him. And I always have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement