Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open Championship 2013 - *** no gambling/streams ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    No. I watch 20+ events a year where attacking the pin is the order of the day. This is links golf. Requires imagination. It's a nice change for me.

fair enough and boring was probably the wrong description, just looks like hard work and the course is very penal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

DuckHook wrote: »
    fair enough and boring was probably the wrong description, just looks like hard work and the course is very penal.

Yeah it definitely is hard work - I enjoy seeing them suffer though. :D

Some eagle for Westwood there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

amazing recovery by Stenson there, has to be most consistent player out there this week?

the 4th giving all sorts of problems to them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

GreeBo wrote: »
    So, crazy question...why can't the best players in the world hit the first fairway with an iron?

I watched most of this mornings and early afternoon play and plenty of the players hit the first fairway, so not exactly sure what you're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭big_drive

Have to give Westwood serious credit for the way he seems to have improved his short game. It does seem to be standing up to pressure so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Aidric wrote: »
    I watched most of this mornings and early afternoon play and plenty of the players hit the first fairway, so not exactly sure what you're on about.

plenty did but plenty didn't, so that's what I'm on about.

seems like it of the best in the world the bat majority of them should be able to hit a four iron into the fairway...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Excellent hole from Westwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hoping Tiger can put the pressure on Westy and make him crumble, anyone but Westy for The Open but he is playing very well and getting the breaks at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Hoping Tiger can put the pressure on Westy and make him crumble, anyone but Westy for The Open but he is playing very well and getting the breaks at present.

I have no doubt that he will crumble!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

plenty did but plenty didn't, so that's what I'm on about.

seems like it of the best in the world the bat majority of them should be able to hit a four iron into the fairway...

It's because they're not robots. The patch they're trying to land on is tiny and there are so many uncontrollable variables after the ball leaves the club face (wind, bounce, etc).
    Also it's their first shot of the day so you have to take pressure into the equation.

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    It's because they're not robots. The patch they're trying to land on is tiny and there are so many uncontrollable variables after the ball leaves the club face (wind, bounce, etc).
    Also it's their first shot of the day so you have to take pressure into the equation.

Agreed, but some of the huge hooks and slices are pretty bad, considering they are standing on a perfect tee box with a perfect lie.

lots of them aren't bouncing anywhere near the short stuff, so it's not bad breaks either...

the patch they are hitting is bigger than most greens too

Agreed, but some of the huge hooks and slices are pretty bad, considering they are standing on a perfect tee box with a perfect lie.

lots of them aren't bouncing anywhere near the short stuff, so it's not bad breaks either...

the patch they are hitting is bigger than most greens too

There's not too many sticking to the greens either.

The part of the fairway they're aiming for is fairly small and it's only about a 3 yard push to the right to make it look like a terrible shot. If the course was set up as it normally is and not for a major I would say over 90% of this field would put it on the fairway with their eyes closed.
    Plus if you really want to see how good these guys are just look at their shots out of the long stuff. To even look at the green from that is incredible. Not sure how recently you've played a links course but its hard to even guess how the ball will come out of that stuff

How anyone else can be penalised for slow play when Day and Mickleson are on the course I'll never know.

Felexicon wrote: »
    There's not too many sticking to the greens either.

The part of the fairway they're aiming for is fairly small and it's only about a 3 yard push to the right to make it look like a terrible shot. If the course was set up as it normally is and not for a major I would say over 90% of this field would put it on the fairway with their eyes closed.
    Plus if you really want to see how good these guys are just look at their shots out of the long stuff. To even look at the green from that is incredible. Not sure how recently you've played a links course but its hard to even guess how the ball will come out of that stuff

I'm not talking about holding these greens, or their shots from the rough.
    I know how good they are, just surprised to see so many of them missing a fairway by 10 yards with a 4 iron from the tee.
    if it runs in, fine but plenty of them are carrying it straight into the hay.

woods there in 11...shocker with a iron in your hand off the tee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I'm not talking about holding these greens, or their shots from the rough.
    I know how good they are, just surprised to see so many of them missing a fairway by 10 yards with a 4 iron from the tee.
    if it runs in, fine but plenty of them are carrying it straight into the hay.

I'm with you here, i seriously doubt they are aiming for such a small patch that has such big potential for disaster if it doesn't come off. as mentioned its the first shot as well, why "attack" like that rather than play safe into the fairway and be better off for their second.

doesn't make sense to me either why so many first shots by these guys aren't even making the first cut.

woods there in 11...shocker with a iron in your hand off the tee

Been the first bad one since his 2 on the 1st tee on day one though. His iron play off the tee has been stunning so far.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I must have missed this earlier but god good :eek: :pac:

I can do that... on Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 with the 30MPH wind behind me and dry conditions!

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Been the first bad one since his 2 on the 1st tee on day one though. His iron play off the tee has been stunning so far.

Agreed...but do you not agree that it was a terrible shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Does Ian Pattinson remind anyone else of the priest in Fr Ted with the most boring voice in the world?

• Advertisement

Agreed...but do you not agree that it was a terrible shot?

Oh indeed- just about as bad as his 2 snap hooks on day one on the first.

Just seen Wagner giving out about his playing partner getting a slow play penalty - "the group behind was nowhere near us" .... tut tut. Look forward buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Stenson can't buy a putt today. Mahan in a fantastic position in the clubhouse at-1, holed a few lovely putts today.

I felt sorry for the guy until I heard he spent over 2 mins on the shot....that's a really, really long time.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Fabulous shots from Stenson, Jimenez and Westwood there. Latter will take the lead again on his own surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I really hope Westwood wins it!

Also, that drive by Schwartzl, dear god!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

westwood come on, your time is coming.

peter Alliss rather disgusted there about the non golf hat worn by the young lad:P

come on westy, please don't choke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

What a big big putt from Lee

wooot!!!!! come on westy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Come on Tiger!

Advertisement