Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open Championship 2013 - *** no gambling/streams ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Westwood has impressed me today, if he can keep things together tomorrow I'd be surprised if anyone else won it.

The british press might be unbearable for a while if he does though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well if they get ANOTHER British winner than i would agree. it's been a great year for them, sports wise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Unless Stenson gets 3 on the last we have Tiger and Scott together tomorrow. Hunter out with Westwood. Winner from second last group for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

P_1 wrote: »
    Westwood has impressed me today, if he can keep things together tomorrow I'd be surprised if anyone else won it.

The british press might be unbearable for a while if he does though :P

Its certainly a cracking chance for Westwood to get the Majors albatross off his back. From what i saw his putting seemed to hold up well today, holed some big putts out there, but still can't force myself to trust him to get the job done on the final day. Short game & putting are going to decide it tomorrow & can't help feeling Lee is goign to fall short again. Have a sneaky feeling Phil might play himself into it and go close

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Out of interest how do they decide which of Mahan and Woods goes out last with Westwood?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

Will be Mahan with Westwood i think, as he completed his round first

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Tiger and Scott together tomorrow

Tiger and Stevie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Out of interest how do they decide which of Mahan and Woods goes out last with Westwood?

First in last out.

Look at what that 68 did for Garcia today, pushed him to joint 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Be interesting to see Westwood putting if he has a couple of testers early on.

He nearly missed that Tiddler putt on the 18th for par today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Fascinating duel between Woods and Westwood today. I'd say Tiger is fuming he took a 6 on 17 that took him out of final pairing tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

What's up with all the Westwood hating here?? I would love to see him win it as he has been close too many times..

I think Adam Scott is looking dangerous.

Have you seen the overall scoring across all majors in 2013 he is 12 shots better than anyone else

I think Scott is going to do it myself. Snuck back into contention and with the major monkey of his back he has nothing to lose. Also learned alot from his meltdown last year at the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I think Westwood is a shoo in personally. The way sport has gone so far for Britain its impossible to see them lose at anything at the moment.

I put £100 on him at 2/1 there. Cracking price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Come on Tiger!

Tiger will never win a major again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tiger and Stevie :D

There'll be a massive crowd following that pairing :pac:

Tiger will never win a major again

Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I think if he doesn't win a major this year I think he'll struggle to break Nicklaus's record.

I think if he doesn't win a major this year I think he'll struggle to break Nicklaus's record.

But that's not what you said the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Westwood out with Woods, there goes Lee's (the english) chances.

He surpassed himself on Saturday, a win on Sunday? He will deserve it if he does, hope the mental baggage does hold him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

I just hope LW can do it tomorrow though I doubt it bases on past experiences , but you never know. His putting has always let him down in the last nine, hopefully not tomorrow, If asked to make a call now on the winner ,I'd say " TIgerafter a playoff"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

If tiger continues on the defence he won't win IMO. It needs to be attacked tomorrow. Westwood is who I would like to win and think he will win it. This is by far his best chance. Tiger is obviously the main danger.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Hahaha

I have been saying it now for a long time and getting the same reaction as always. Nothing has changed IMO ...tiger has left the building when iit comes to winning one of the big 4 tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭big_drive

Westwood looks solid and has kept the big numbers off the card. The hard thing I see is that this course can tear you apart in one hole. And that could happen with a bad bounce or kick. Everyone seems to think he'll collapse mentally but the signs so far are that he's strong in that department this week. I think if he can limit the mistakes to bogeys he'll have a good chance. I can't see any of the leaders going out and shooting a 66 so a level par round for Westwood and he will win in my opinion. First few holes very important, if he can hole a couple of tricky putts early it will do wonders for his confidence

I find it hard to look past Westwood, Woods, Scott today. To me it's one of those who will be champion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I have been saying it now for a long time and getting the same reaction as always. Nothing has changed IMO ...tiger has left the building when iit comes to winning one of the big 4 tournaments.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

big_drive wrote: »
    Westwood looks solid and has kept the big numbers off the card. The hard thing I see is that this course can tear you apart in one hole. And that could happen with a bad bounce or kick. Everyone seems to think he'll collapse mentally but the signs so far are that he's strong in that department this week. I think if he can limit the mistakes to bogeys he'll have a good chance. I can't see any of the leaders going out and shooting a 66 so a level par round for Westwood and he will win in my opinion. First few holes very important, if he can hole a couple of tricky putts early it will do wonders for his confidence

I find it hard to look past Westwood, Woods, Scott today. To me it's one of those who will be champion

But Westwood always looks good mentally in first 3 rounds... Final round is where he needs to keep the head and not sh1t the bed.... Cabrera has cool head for big day and my money is on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

maybe if you backed up such a random statement with some facts or even just a few salient points you wouldn't get the same reaction every time...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Really hope Westwood gets it done. He deserves to win a major, and if he continues to putt as he has done, he wont be beaten. Hes leading the stats this week on the greens, which makes me worry about his striking, but surely the hallmark of his game will hold up today

I would at least like to see him in a position where a par at the last will see him in. In my mind, hes never been in a situation where he knows 1 good hole or shot will seal the deal, and that uncertainty has cost him in the past, especially at Turnberry. In the '10 Masters, he shot -1 in the last rd only to be steamrolled by Phil. My point being, I dont believe Westy has ever truly choked a major, and I hope and believe today will be no different, whether he wins or not.

GreeBo wrote: »
    maybe if you backed up such a random statement with some facts or even just a few salient points you wouldn't get the same reaction every time...?[/

5 years or 20 majors later is enough fact don't you think?

Not really considering the issues in that time!

He didnt play for a year. Then his form was poor.

Now he appears to be back to a level of contention and this has been proven on the majority of his starts this year. He is 2 off the lead going into today so has a great chance.

He was very close at the masters bar a freak bounce off a pin that turned a definite birdie into tournament ending drop shots.

To say he will never win another major based on what has went on I we the last few years with him is a farce.

He is by far the best player in the world this year so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

5 years or 20 majors later is enough fact don't you think?

The fact that you think he has played in 20 majors in the last 5 years proves that you know nothing about the majors or tiger woods.

He has won 4 tournaments this year including a wgc. He won a major on 1 leg which probably cost him a few more for playing on it. He has also won 1 out of every 4 tournaments he has tee'd it up in. Your statement seems like one of anger? If he does never win a major again (which I personally don't believe) it's hardly like he has failed?

Advertisement