Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open Championship 2013 - *** no gambling/streams ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Schwartzels shot off the OB wall, flying back into the middle of the fairway and getting a good run was unbelievable.

Luke and Rory played like tramps today.

Faldo had a lovely sand save on the last hole. 8 over wasn't bad compared to Rory and Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That's the second time this year that Oosthuizen has withdrawn during a major.

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Why would they need a marker in a 2 ball?

I guess they could send out a 3rd person to help with the pace of play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I guess they could send out a 3rd person to help with the pace of play

I'm free tomorrow if they're stuck...

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Me too, I'm sure I could manage to putt into a bunker myself like Rory did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Why would they need a marker in a 2 ball?

Pace of play? Gmac and Tiger were constantly being held up. They do it when there is an odd number of players making the cut, so why not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Pace of play? Gmac and Tiger were constantly being held up. They do it when there is an odd number of players making the cut, so why not now.

Never heard of that tbh.
    So a marker being some random golfer that joins up with the two ball just to make sure they're as slow as the rest of the groups?
    Sounds a bit mad
    Who do they normally get as a marker?

Never heard of that tbh.
    So a marker being some random golfer that joins up with the two ball just to make sure they're as slow as the rest of the groups?
    Sounds a bit mad
    Who do they normally get as a marker?

Usually a pro from the host club.

Anyway, Gmac has put the call out :pac:
    Graeme McDowell ‏@Graeme_McDowell 2m
    Me and @TigerWoods need a third for the morning. 944am off the first tee at Muirfield. Anyone fancy a knock?
    #TheOpen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Considering its Pre Cut and the drop outs happened early today, surely they could have sent them out first tomorrow morning (seeing as they had a morning start anyway)

Either that or they should really have a ranger out tomorrow :)

I'd play with graeme alright....but the other fella....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Graeme McDowell ‏@Graeme_McDowell

"Me and @TigerWoods need a third for the morning. 944am off the first tee at Muirfield. Anyone fancy a knock?
    #TheOpen"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Presumably the groups ahead will let them play through if they are losing any ground. As happens in amateur golf........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Given that 3 players have withdrawn, it's a shame they can't use common sense and turn the 3 two balls into 2 three balls tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Great day of golf - The range of scores and the variety of players at the top of the board suggests it was a tough test but not impossible, which the way a major should be.

I actually thought Rory was a little unlucky today, he hit a few good putts that just didn't drop and for his first double his approach shot was just the wrong side of the hole. However he has serious issues off the tee, which should be the strogest part of his game and again he let his head drop when things were going against him. He needs more golf really, ridiculous how little he's played this year in tournament play with his new clubs.

Nice to see Clarke play well and hopefully Harrington and McDowell can go under par tomorrow to get themselves into contention for the weekend.

What odds a Tiger/Phil showdown on Sunday??

Edit - Feel very sorry for Luitton, something strange about Hanson teeing up when he clearly isn't fit, as well as a couple of other WDs

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

Considering its Pre Cut and the drop outs happened early today, surely they could have sent them out first tomorrow morning (seeing as they had a morning start anyway)

Either that or they should really have a ranger out tomorrow :)

I'm sure BBC and the other channels covering this if they could only show half of tigers round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Darren Clarke off to a great start - 3 under thru 5.

Have a feeling Tiger will go low today.

Edit* Put the jinx on Clarke - about to take at least a tripple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I will prob jinx him but this is probably the best I've seen Westwood play in a major since the first 3 rounds of the us open last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

McDowell not firing his irons close, leaving long birdie putts, still -1 for today.

What a costly hole that was for Clarke, 4 birdies today plus a quad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

McDowell not firing his irons close, leaving long birdie putts, still -1 for today.

Yeah he'll have to hit them closer if he wants shorter putts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭big_drive

kiers47 wrote: »
    I will prob jinx him but this is probably the best I've seen Westwood play in a major since the first 3 rounds of the us open last year.

I was thinking the same and the putter is holding up well for a change. I also think it helps him that it's a different style of chipping on the links

What a costly hole that was for Clarke, 4 birdies today plus a quad!

It was a shame after the super start. Still he's going well and it's very encouraging considering his recent poor form

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What happened Clarke on that hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭doc_17

Westwood is putting like a demon

What happened Clarke on that hole?

Poor tee shot and had to play out, then approach into green side bunker, 3 to get out and 2 putts

Great par save for GMac on 6 after chipping out of fairway bunker.

Another Westwood birdie, fifth for him today.

Great golf here from Westwood

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Just seen Schwarzel breaking his club yesterday, First Rory, now Schwartzel, Nike must be sick, it really is not very good for them at all.

Westwood on fire today, still have my doubts that he will be able to keep it going all weekend. Maybe Roses win has given him a kick up the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Westwood on fire today, still have my doubts that he will be able to keep it going all weekend. Maybe Roses win has given him a kick up the arse.

I'd say you're right there, YB.

Seeing Rose write his name into US Open history is probably what Westwood needed to get his act in gear. He certainly seems to be much improved around and on the green.

Advertisement