Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifiers Rounds 3 and 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is there any chance the Cavan London game could be in Croker at 3 next Saturday?

Have the GAA ever done 3 games on the one day before. I think they did but can't remember exactly when.

Lemlin, a good GAA fan like yourself asking a question like that? Yes of course they have done 3 games on the one day. I doubt they'll put the 3 in Croke Park next Saturday, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time if they did. The first game of the day may not be a big game, but they often have three.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Dont have a sister. I know Sh*te when I see SH*TE. It just so happens that cavan are just that
    BATEING A SH*TE FERMANAGH TWICE & GETTING A POXY RESULT AGAINST ARMAGH MAINLY BECAUSE THEIR MANAGER IS A F*CKING IDIOT OF THE HIGHEST ORDER. Thats what Cavan have achieved this year, I wouldnt be writing home about it
    I'd give Cavan odds of about 20/1 & you can get up the fu*king yard with your delusional posts
    A Cavan win would be the biggest upset of the round imo & possibly of all the qualifiers so far. As for the odds they might aswell be 30/1 as I cant see anyway Cavan will come out of Derry with a win.
    id like to see you say that to my face & no, there was a money back special if the game was a draw.

Just heard the result of the cavan derry match.

Cavan won...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Leonidas83 is probably off having the consolation of a box of chocolates.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Flukey wrote: »
    Lemlin, a good GAA fan like yourself asking a question like that? Yes of course they have done 3 games on the one day. I doubt they'll put the 3 in Croke Park next Saturday, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time if they did. The first game of the day may not be a big game, but they often have three.

I meant 3 senior football games though. Not like a minor or Tommy Murphy or Lory Meagher hurling game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

There won't be 3 games in Croker next Saturday, extra time etc would play havoc

• Advertisement

There won't be 3 games in Croker next Saturday, extra time etc would play havoc

I don't think it would to be honest. 2 hours between matches leaves time for extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I don't think it would to be honest. 2 hours between matches leaves time for extra time.
    No it doesn't, pitch needs to be free for approx 30 mins before kick off. Warm-ups are usually 20 mins plus all the other stuff that goes on before a championship game, e.g. Amhrain na bhFiann.

THFC wrote: »
    No it doesn't, pitch needs to be free for approx 30 mins before kick off. Warm-ups are usually 20 mins plus all the other stuff that goes on before a championship game, e.g. Amhrain na bhFiann.

Well they aren't worrying too much about that scheduling one game at 5 and another at 7.

Well they aren't worrying too much about that scheduling one game at 5 and another at 7.
    If the first game goes to ET the second game would obviously be delayed, are you actually trying to deny that? Teams normally take 20 minutes minimum to warm up.

Game 1 is due to finish around half 6, possibly 20 past 6 if things went quickly, is ET were to be played there would be minimum 5 minute break plus 20 minutes, which would likely bring game 1 up until 7 pm.

Not a hope the second game wouldn't be delayed if there was ET in the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If the first game goes to ET the second game would obviously be delayed, are you actually trying to deny that? Teams normally take 20 minutes minimum to warm up.

Game 1 is due to finish around half 6, possibly 20 past 6 if things went quickly, is ET were to be played there would be minimum 5 minute break plus 20 minutes, which would likely bring game 1 up until 7 pm.

Not a hope the second game wouldn't be delayed if there was ET in the first.

There was a triple header in Thurles last year, one football, two hurling (Wexford-Tipp, Wexford-Cork, Clare-Limerick).

None went to extra time though, but if they had I'd say they'd just delay one game by half an hour.

That's what they did with KK-Waterford after Clare-Wexford went to extra-time.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    There was a triple header in Thurles last year, one football, two hurling (Wexford-Tipp, Wexford-Cork, Clare-Limerick).

None went to extra time though, but if they had I'd say they'd just delay one game by half an hour.

That's what they did with KK-Waterford after Clare-Wexford went to extra-time.
    Half an hour would be sufficient, but Lemlin was suggesting a delay wouldn't be necessary.

Half an hour would be sufficient, but Lemlin was suggesting a delay wouldn't be necessary.

Where did I suggest a delay wasn't necessary? Even if the two hours wouldn't allow time for extra time, as mentioned above a short delay could be allowed.

And 20 minutes of warming up isn't necessarily needed. Cavan did a very short warm up yesterday because of the heat. It's not ideal but teams can stretch in dressing rooms.

And, as I also said and you ignored, your point is a bit of a null point seeing as they already have 2 matches scheduled two hours apart.

You also said the anthem would delay matches. The last double header I was at they only played it before the second game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

Cavan and London will be in Clones i reckon.

Where did I suggest a delay wasn't necessary? Even if the two hours wouldn't allow time for extra time, as mentioned above a short delay could be allowed.

And 20 minutes of warming up isn't necessarily needed. Cavan did a very short warm up yesterday because of the heat. It's not ideal but teams can stretch in dressing rooms.

And, as I also said and you ignored, your point is a bit of a null point seeing as they already have 2 matches scheduled two hours apart.

You also said the anthem would delay matches. The last double header I was at they only played it before the second game.
    My apologies, I thought you were saying a delay wouldn't be necessary. I agree most teams can do stretches in the dressing room but most teams do min 10 mins ball work and running.
    Last 4 double headers I was at (Club finals, league semi-finals, Galway league matches in Pearse Stadium & AI QFs last year) the anthem was played before both from what I remember.

My apologies, I thought you were saying a delay wouldn't be necessary. I agree most teams can do stretches in the dressing room but most teams do min 10 mins ball work and running.
    Last 4 double headers I was at (Club finals, league semi-finals, Galway league matches in Pearse Stadium & AI QFs last year) the anthem was played before both from what I remember.

At the Leinster semi finals it was only played before the Kildare Dublin game.

I still don't think an adequate reason has been given that 3 games couldn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

At the Leinster semi finals it was only played before the Kildare Dublin game.

I still don't think an adequate reason has been given that 3 games couldn't work.

I remember a few triple headers at Croke Park when Kilkenny played a minor and senior match and there was a senior football game sandwiched in between. Ok it wasn't three senior ties but the principle was the same so I don't see why it can't be done. It would also be nice to give London a run out at Croke Park as they're not likely to get the chance again. In fairness there are sides of the same level, or worse, in Leinster who regularly get a chance to play on the big stage.

Typically they play Amrhan na bhFiann before the 'main match' which would be the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

My initial predictions:

Galway vs Armagh, winners play Cork
    Wexford vs Laois, winners play Donegal/Monaghan
    Kildare vs Tyrone, winners play Meath
    Derry vs Cavan, winners play Mayo/London

3/4 ain't good enough with the bookies. It shows how much I know given that I thought Armagh would overcome Galway with ease - and fair play to Galway for proving me wrong its a great thing for them after so many disappointing years.

Here I go for this week.

Galway v Cork
    Laois v Donegal
    Tyrone v Meath
    Cavan v London

I think a lot of people will probably go with Tyrone, but Meath can always fight at any level and I'm giving them the nod, even if I cant explain it properly yet myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I think Tyrone will win, but now that I think of it Meath have had their last 2 games in Croke Park.

That advantage could be vital in a tight game.

The open spaces will suit Meath's speed down to the ground.

Should be a cracker of a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I might throw a few bob on Meath to beat Tyrone and tempted to put another few bob on Galway to beat Cork. Didn't see much of the Galway Armagh game so can't judge how good Galway were but Cork can be taken when they are raging hot favourites as they seem to be here and I'd fancy Counihan to make a balls of picking the team..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Cork Donegal Meath and Cavan for me too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

Galway v Cork
    Laois v Donegal
    Tyrone v Meath
    Cavan v London

For me, Tyrone are stronger than Meath and Laois and Galway are hitting form at the right moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Handy one on the way for the rebels in Galway

Corcaigh Abu

Armagh thought that too!

No they didn't. Many in Armagh felt the odds for this match were ridiculous and so it proved. The better of two average teams won.

Good luck to Galway - deserved your win - I hope youse can improve and give Cork a real rattle. As for ourselves, roll on next year!! :(

From GAA.ie

Saturday July 27th

London v Cavan, Croke Park, 3pm
    Donegal v Laois, Carrick-on-Shannon, 5pm
    Cork v Galway, Croke Park, 5pm
    Meath v Tyrone, Croke Park, 7pm (Live on RTÉ)

The GAA have confirmed that there will be a triple header in Carrick on Shannon with the two ladies games and the Donegal v Laois game all taking place on Saturday. This means that tickets will be even harder to come across as the counties represented in the ladies (Clare, Kildare & Westmeath) will also have ticket requirements.

I have nothing against ladies football or Carrick on Shannon, but this is a terrible solution overall and clearly the GAA are feeling obliged to give Carrick on Shannon a turn. As a Donegal fan I'd even rather the game was in O'Moore Park in Portlaois to allow more people to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone know what the story is with leaving and coming back in Croke Park on Saturday? i.e. if I wanted to watch the first game, leave for the second and come back for the third? Presume it's a no-go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with leaving and coming back in Croke Park on Saturday? i.e. if I wanted to watch the first game, leave for the second and come back for the third? Presume it's a no-go?

I very much doubt if you will get in and out. Your ticket will be scanned going in the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ludicrous decision to have Galway and Cork play in Croke Park Saturday, then have the hurlers of both counties in Thurles the very next day.

Screwing over the fans and it will hurt the attendance at both games.

No reason at all they can't have a triple header at Thurles and have Laois/Donegal in Croke Park. Thurles would be packed and Laois and Donegal would both bring strong followings.

Utter fools the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Ludicrous decision to have Galway and Cork play in Croke Park Saturday, then have the hurlers of both counties in Thurles the very next day.

No reason at all they can't have a triple header at Thurles and have Laois/Donegal in Croke Park. Thurles would be packed and Laois and Donegal would both bring strong followings.

Utter fools the GAA.

Totally agree - was talking to a Cork man after the Armagh game and we were both thinking it would be a triple header in Thurles. Makes no sense to do what they have, except they think they can screw an extra few quid out of the few who would follow both teams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Utter fools the GAA.

Will Thurles not be a full house with just the hurling anyway? Hard to see how you could fit fans of two Galway teams, two Cork teams, Kilkenny and Clare into Semple on knockout Championship day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

No reason at all they can't have a triple header at Thurles.

Utter fools the GAA.

What time would you envisage the 3 games on a Sunday?
    Bear in mind that the TV station who've paid money for the two hurling quarter finals would expect these two games to be one after the other and neither to be at a silly time.

Advertisement