Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

cloneslad wrote: »
    Except the miserable, dark, cold, wet, trainings we have to look forward to.

Them days arent that far away i would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

.ak wrote: »
    Truthfully I prefer training in those conditions rather than it being warm!

Run around, get warm, then stand still for 10 mins in the cold while 10 different people decide to talk about line out / scrum calls instead of just getting on with it??? No thanks, I'd rather be warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Run around, get warm, then stand still for 10 mins in the cold while 10 different people decide to talk about line out / scrum calls instead of just getting on with it??? No thanks, I'd rather be warm.

Ha! I just take the cold better than heat I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭GavMan

My first night back this season. I was happy enough I wore astro runners, It's still a bit hard under foot for longer studs at the minute.

Problem on Saturday will be to risk the astro runners and having someone stand on my toes, which always happens in a ruck, and it's always a player from your own team.

Pretty sure the ref wont let you play in Astro runners in any case.

There's laws about the number of studs in each row (can't have less that 2 in a the row laterally across the foot). He'll either say the pimples are not studs (thus you have no studs) or if he counts the pimples as studs, he'll say you have too many (more that 2 in a row)

You'll need to get some mouldies if you don't want studs...

GavMan wrote: »
    Pretty sure the ref wont let you play in Astro runners in any case.

There's laws about the number of studs in each row (can't have less that 2 in a the row laterally across the foot). He'll either say the pimples are not studs (thus you have no studs) or if he counts the pimples as studs, he'll say you have too many (more that 2 in a row)

You'll need to get some mouldies if you don't want studs...

Yeah, the match on Saturday is just between ourselves, J4 v J5, so I don't think we'll be having a ref.

I have some mouldies and some in between and some proper canterbury boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Stillorgan RFC still have space for newcomers? I know there is a few on here who play.

I went down for a few sessions last year but work life got in the way so had to bail. Considering trying to get back in to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Stillorgan RFC still have space for newcomers? I know there is a few on here who play.

I went down for a few sessions last year but work life got in the way so had to bail. Considering trying to get back in to it again.
    Yep. Back training in Bird Avenue now with a nice new pavillion!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Eponymous wrote: »
    Yep. Back training in Bird Avenue now with a nice new pavillion!

Are they using the newly built CUS building?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Yeah, the match on Saturday is just between ourselves, J4 v J5, so I don't think we'll be having a ref.

I have some mouldies and some in between and some proper canterbury boots.

There should be a branch ref along I think.

We certainly will need one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

shoutman wrote: »
    There should be a branch ref along I think.

We certainly will need one anyway.

Elverys doing Buy 1 get 1 half price on boots /runners http://www.elverys.ie/categories/Rugby-Boots/0000000057

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Elverys doing Buy 1 get 1 half price on boots /runners http://www.elverys.ie/categories/Rugby-Boots/0000000057

Good deal but not great selection but maybe better instore. I bought two nice addidas mouldies at the start of the season on the offer. Will keep the second pair for next season anyways as good to run on in the hard ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

ColmH81 wrote: »
    Are they using the newly built CUS building?
    Yeah. Haven't been to see it yet myself, but our J2s are playing tomorrow, so I'll get along for a look at it then. Looks great from the street though and with any luck the showers have been improved upon. I was never a huge fan of showers so hot the flesh on your back feels like it's peeling away.

Yeah. Haven't been to see it yet myself, but our J2s are playing tomorrow, so I'll get along for a look at it then. Looks great from the street though and with any luck the showers have been improved upon. I was never a huge fan of showers so hot the flesh on your back feels like it's peeling away.

I work around the corner from it.. Looks impressive..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

or freezing cold when not roasting...

First full contact training session last night for myself. Body's in bits but have to say I absolutely loved it. Particularly enjoyed taking the ball into contact and making a few yards against bigger lads. :D My tackling sucks though, timing's all over the shop, but other than that I enjoyed it. For anyone still considering joining a local club but aren't sure because of the contact I would say don't worry about it, it doesn't hurt (much) and it's actually one of the more enjoyable aspects of the game.

Completely different from when I last played when I was like 14, we're no longer all the same size. :D

First full contact training session last night for myself. Body's in bits but have to say I absolutely loved it. Particularly enjoyed taking the ball into contact and making a few yards against bigger lads. :D My tackling sucks though, timing's all over the shop, but other than that I enjoyed it. For anyone still considering joining a local club but aren't sure because of the contact I would say don't worry about it, it doesn't hurt (much) and it's actually one of the more enjoyable aspects of the game.

Completely different from when I last played when I was like 14, we're no longer all the same size. :D

It's great though, isn't it..!! ha.. I've been out with a bruised AC for the last 2 weeks, and it's killing me not being able to train. ha

ColmH81 wrote: »
    It's great though, isn't it..!! ha.. I've been out with a bruised AC for the last 2 weeks, and it's killing me not being able to train. ha

Yeah. Best thing I did was taking a few weeks out to heal up my leg. Thought I'd have trouble coming back into it as I'd be a few weeks behind everyone but now my leg is much stronger and I'm enjoying it more. No need to rush back anyway, tis a long season.

Yeah. Best thing I did was taking a few weeks out to heal up my leg. Thought I'd have trouble coming back into it as I'd be a few weeks behind everyone but now my leg is much stronger and I'm enjoying it more. No need to rush back anyway, tis a long season.

Exactly.. Even if I'm out for another week or two, I can at least keep the fitness up... I miss not having to travel up to 2hrs for games though.. ha.. Up until the start of last season was playing for a Dublin club(and travelling from Carlow.. Thought it was a bit much of a trek, so joined the local team... First game of this season? Up to Railway.. ha

Any guys playing J5 not have a game this weekend? Clontarf were supposed to be Emerald Warriors but the match was called off from the warriors side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

First contact of the season this weekend, a colours match, which can often end up more heated than matches against other clubs, reckon I will be a little sore come Monday.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    First contact of the season this weekend, a colours match, which can often end up more heated than matches against other clubs, reckon I will be a little sore come Monday.

We had one last weekend, more than a few illegal tackles took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Does the league not kick off for everyone this weekend?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Does the league not kick off for everyone this weekend?

J4's yes, but I believe J5 starts next weekend.

Ah well first one out of the way, dead leg, bruised ribs and a sprained ankle, might be the madochist in me but I love that feeling, knowing you played a game. All I can say is thank god for pain killers and bring on the next game :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

. All I can say is thank god for pain killers and alcohol and bring on the next game :-)

FYP :D

FYP :D

Well maybe, but not for me :-) a non drinking Irish rugby player, I'm a veritable hens tooth! lol

Well maybe, but not for me :-) a non drinking Irish rugby player, I'm a veritable hens tooth! lol

That makes two of us.

Actually 3, one of the other lads on the team in Clontarf doesn't drink either.

I've generally given it up, but I'm not tea total. Will have the occasional one or two.

Have had a lot less since I started training tho. You can feel a late saturday night on a monday training, when after a few laps of the pitch you wish the ground would open up and swallow you.

I've generally given it up, but I'm not tea total. Will have the occasional one or two.

Have had a lot less since I started training tho. You can feel a late saturday night on a monday training, when after a few laps of the pitch you wish the ground would open up and swallow you.

Did you play that match last night in training? I nailed myself at the start and was struggling around for the rest of it.

All in all, a horrible night's training for me.

• Advertisement

Did you play that match last night in training? I nailed myself at the start and was struggling around for the rest of it.

All in all, a horrible night's training for me.

No, we did some one on one's with Dec.

Didn't fair that much better myself as I got a few knees to the temple in the first ruck! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement