Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

.ak wrote: »
    I've generally given it up, but I'm not tea total. Will have the occasional one or two.

Have had a lot less since I started training tho. You can feel a late saturday night on a monday training, when after a few laps of the pitch you wish the ground would open up and swallow you.

One of the lads had to trot off to empty his stomach in the match on Saturday, drinking before games doesn't work out to well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

stephen_n wrote: »
    One of the lads had to trot off to empty his stomach in the match on Saturday, drinking before games doesn't work out to well :)

I've done that loads of times in games, just as I'm about to throw into a lineout, throw up breakfast then carry on.

I even did it in tag rugby during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I'd not drink before hand ,you're asking for trouble . We train tuesday so the body has recovered for Saturday as a whole by then

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Hi All,
    I'm looking for a bit of advice, I have never played rugby in my life but was thinking about giving it a go. The only problem is that I'm now early 30's 17st and quite unfit. I played soccer all my life but haven't trained for a long time.
    I don't even know if a team would be interested in taking me on at this stage. Anyone here start very late??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

mkdon05 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm looking for a bit of advice, I have never played rugby in my life but was thinking about giving it a go. The only problem is that I'm now early 30's 17st and quite unfit. I played soccer all my life but haven't trained for a long time.
    I don't even know if a team would be interested in taking me on at this stage. Anyone here start very late??

There are loads if people on my team who arrived in the exact same situation. That's the beauty of rugby, there really is a place for everyone. Where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    There are loads if people on my team who arrived in the exact same situation. That's the beauty of rugby, there really is a place for everyone. Where are you based?

couldn't agree more, no reason not to join a club....... all levels of fitness weight etc, makes no odds on weight anyway sure im near 18 stone and im nowhere near heaviest in the club...... fitness will come eventually

Pudsy33 wrote: »

That sounds promising! I'm in swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Go for it. I'm early 30s myself and took it up a few weeks ago with minimal fitness levels. Loving it so far. You won't be the biggest, the oldest or any less experienced than others in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yep, and don't worry about starting late in terms of the season. Just tag along to training and you'll catch up in no time. Tis a long season anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Malahide, Swords/ALSAA, RCSI and Millmount all play in Swords. Balbriggan and Skerries are a few miles up the M 1 while Ashbourne are a few miles across country.

All of these well run clubs will welcome you in, be it as a player or as an able bodied helper which are also needed on match day.

• Advertisement

Malahide, Swords/ALSAA, RCSI and Millmount all play in Swords. Balbriggan and Skerries are a few miles up the M 1 while Ashbourne are a few miles across country.

All of these well run clubs will welcome you in, be it as a player or as an able bodied helper which are also needed on match day.

Don't RCSI play in Santry and Millmount basically where ever they can find?

Don't RCSI play in Santry and Millmount basically where ever they can find?

RCSI's ground is on the Old Airport Road beside Quickpark and ALSAA, so yeah Santry is fair enough :)

Millmount played in ALSAA as of last season. The new handbook has no home ground nominated as of yet for them.

Unidare are only down the road too. We're getting some work done to our pitch at the minute so we're using Mount temple on the Malahide road but we normally play in Balcurris park, Ballymun. Did anyone here start their league campaign last week? Our match was called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Suttonians as well not too far away!

Thanks for all the info lads, much appreciated. I'm actually a member of Alsaa so I'll look into Swords Rugby club , daunting and exciting at the same time!!

Suttonians as well not too far away!

After about a other 100 i'll just list the next nearest club posts ....Kinsale not to far away either ;)

Thanks for all the info lads, much appreciated. I'm actually a member of Alsaa so I'll look into Swords Rugby club , daunting and exciting at the same time!!

Swords couldn't field on Saturday last, you could get your first cap this Saturday :)

Have my first league match tomorrow - question for you clontarf heads, haven't got a chance to buy my socks/shorts/jersey. I can stroll up there this evening and get sorted, right? I don't have that bar card yet though, presume I can pay with card/cash? Also I presume they mail that card out to you once it's sorted?

Have my first league match tomorrow - question for you clontarf heads, haven't got a chance to buy my socks/shorts/jersey. I can stroll up there this evening and get sorted, right? I don't have that bar card yet though, presume I can pay with card/cash? Also I presume they mail that card out to you once it's sorted?

You can just pay with cash / card. There is usually someone there on match day that can sort you out and open it, so if you are leaving from the club you'll be fine.

I take it you are with the J5 team? I have a spare pair of club socks I can lend you, if you don't get any. A pair of white shorts will be fine, they don't need to have the club logo.

cloneslad wrote: »
    You can just pay with cash / card. There is usually someone there on match day that can sort you out and open it, so if you are leaving from the club you'll be fine.

I take it you are with the J5 team? I have a spare pair of club socks I can lend you, if you don't get any. A pair of white shorts will be fine, they don't need to have the club logo.

Yeah think we're meeting up at CMY so I was gonna pop up tonight. Would the bar be open tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Doubt it will be open this evening. I would imagine it will be open tomorrow lunchtime when team meeting down there. You just need socks and shorts, team jerseys will be brought for the team. You can pay with cash/card for socks/shorts.

Yeah think we're meeting up at CMY so I was gonna pop up tonight. Would the bar be open tonight?

yeah the bar is open, not sure who is working / if they can open the shop.

People are leaving from the club a 1pm or at CYM at 1:45, if you live near the club then pop up before hand.

cloneslad wrote: »
    yeah the bar is open, not sure who is working / if they can open the shop.

People are leaving from the club a 1pm or at CYM at 1:45, if you live near the club then pop up before hand.

Ah, I thought the text said we're meeting at CYM at 1? Good thing I didn't turn up at CYM at 1 by myself then. ;)

What's the story with meeting up at the club before hand tho.. is that for people who drive?

Ah, I thought the text said we're meeting at CYM at 1? Good thing I didn't turn up at CYM at 1 by myself then. ;)

What's the story with meeting up at the club before hand tho.. is that for people who drive?

Yeah can meet at club at 1pm and people can drive and bring others over as well.

Cheers lads! I'd be lost without ye's! :D

I'm looking forward to the first game of the season, I'll probably be warming the bench due to my lack of pre season, was also at a work event on Wednesday so I couldn't train, but there are a lot of games left anyway.

Exactly, tis a long old season.

Good thing is the weather looks grand for tomorrow, no rain expected, bit cloudy and highs of 17 degrees so not too bad there.

I was actually hoping for rain, much more fun & us forwards get to keep it tight

• Advertisement

chris85 wrote: »
    Yeah can meet at club at 1pm and people can drive and bring others over as well.

Lads, just a word of caution if you are driving. Parking in CYM is very limited so you may not get a space for your car, especially if the ruffians have a soccer game on :D If you can't, there is a paid public car park beside the club and on the street as well or you can chance it in the Tesco as well.

If you are stuck for shorts or socks just run into Mick Dowling's shop; he is right beside us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement