Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Gave it a proper scrub inside and out.
    Fitted some upgraded speakers in the rear shelf.

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

A slight difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Handed over the keys and watched it drive off with its new owner. :(

Sometimes being sensible sucks :(

NDg0MjRjMWRmMmQzZTBiOGNhNjY3MjU1YmY1ODBhOTlD-aksAts3PYgHE7249-GkaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZTI0ZmI0NTZmMWNiNjMxOGQ4NzZhYmFmYThjZWY2N2IxMGNiY2QzMTQyOThmOTUxNjE5NmQyNWFmMzZlZWZlMS5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

First thing this morning when I started the car:
    IMG_20151127_083446.jpg

Luckily had these sitting inside... and a penny:
    2015%2B-%2B2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

md6uEIR.jpg?1

0gClwu9.jpg?1

This is as far as I've got!

4mZfABY.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

**** that! Corsa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Seeing stuf like that makes me have a sad :( Please change your oil regularly folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

**** that! Corsa?

yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Finally got the BMW dealer software up and running, such a difference to the older version.

Here it is whinging about my "unfavourable" short journey driving:

warn_zpswdeuokmy.jpg~original

Lists of specification of the car etc:

options_zpsxnqqlzvo.jpg~original

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Is that the BMW INPA software? Looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Nope its the dealer diagnosis software, Rheingold. The level of functionality is fantastic. Still can't code with this though, Rheingold is more of a wizard-based system; scan for faults, identify them, introduce a service plan to tackle each issue one by one. Service plan then activates lights, pumps, modules, motors etc to test functionality depending on the problem and displays libraries of text and images to describe individual systems, how they work, potential causes and solutions. But also allows you to register new batteries, clear airbags lights etc etc.

Really want to get into the coding side of things with NCS-Expert. Allows you to install parts from other cars and code them. Great for retrofitting etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Never liked the wood trim so finally got around to changing it.

Before:

before_zpsqj3dmtqt.jpg

After:

after_zpsvga1ro2q.jpg

Still have to do the door panel trims but they can wait for now.

Harcrid wrote: »
    Never liked the wood trim so finally got around to changing it.

Before:

Still have to do the door panel trims but they can wait for now.

I have that silver trim as standard, and dont like it. I wrapped it in 3M carbon fiber look, but really need to change it to something less tacky. Open to suggestions...

I think the silver trim really gave the interior a lift versus the woodgrain! Nice job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I have that silver trim as standard, and dont like it. I wrapped it in 3M carbon fiber look, but really need to change it to something less tacky. Open to suggestions...

I know someone who has recently replaced his wood trim with aluminium.....:D

Harcrid, that aluminium looks much better. Nice job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I know someone who has recently replaced his wood trim with aluminium.....:D

Yep, I think wood trim would definitely suit Mr Black Knight. Full set available for you and all I want in return is your door trims! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Its been ages since I posted here as I haven't really done anything with the Megane recently. But today I have hopefully solved the bad odour when A/C is on issue. It was pretty much in the car since I got it. No doubt it was to do with bacteria etc built up in the aircon evaporator. So I got this double back on Micksgarage and I used the larger bottle which you put the attached pipe down the air vent and empty the contents of the can leave it 20 minutes and run the car with the windows open and fans on to clear the system. First impressions are good no nasty smell anymore however the smell from the cleaner is still a bit strong so Im going to take the car for a drive later and see what its like then. With the smaller bottle you just place that in the footwell and leave the car running on recirc while the can empties. So if the smell comes back I can try that.

IMG_6315_zpsqwu0qvd7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Is that a liquid or foam that is fired down the vents man?

I would not trust that the vents are water tight and wouldn't leak into the electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

YbFocus wrote: »
    Is that a liquid or foam that is fired down the vents man?

I would not trust that the vents are water tight and wouldn't leak into the electronics.

No from what I could see it's mainly a vapour maybe a small bit off foam no liquid so it just evaporates of within the system. So I couldn't see it harming electrics hopefully not anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'm very proud of my efforts last night . With the help of a friend who is into cars, I gave my 2.2ctdi accord a service including the dreaded fuel filter (known to be awkward as fook in these). I wanted to start diy'ing as i need to be sure the correct parts and grade of oil is used. Don't have a reliable mechanic nearby. Not as fancy as most of the work posted here, but I'm delighted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Nope its the dealer diagnosis software, Rheingold. The level of functionality is fantastic. Still can't code with this though, Rheingold is more of a wizard-based system; scan for faults, identify them, introduce a service plan to tackle each issue one by one. Service plan then activates lights, pumps, modules, motors etc to test functionality depending on the problem and displays libraries of text and images to describe individual systems, how they work, potential causes and solutions. But also allows you to register new batteries, clear airbags lights etc etc.

Really want to get into the coding side of things with NCS-Expert. Allows you to install parts from other cars and code them. Great for retrofitting etc.

While not as good as NCS-Expert I got the Carly for BMW app, it allows me to code my General and Light module, much more modules available to new cars like your own to code. I activated stuff like US sidemarkers, Alarm beeps and visual changes, auto lock windows, wiper speed etc, you can code in new things too like power fold windows if you upgrade them.

• Advertisement

Harcrid wrote: »
    Yep, I think wood trim would definitely suit Mr Black Knight. Full set available for you and all I want in return is your door trims! :-)

I think we can all agree the wood trim doesnt suit the CC (the front belt line anyways). I actually never changed the doors trim. I didnt think it needed it, and dont think it stands out that they're different. I've a pic somewhere im sure...

IC41x_0X-4vuC6MeoCxB6mV9ASkF6SUE19qNPhv_p1pFrRmlxTaChz78RIkOh39PiDaqsXZTA7T3Ei1CTj95PRX_Mk9hU7MIKuZ_yActEZhbMMdd1c8Zs5ds5GIBffukwXRgtzeWb_SL52tY0EgGNhdc8qYhpqJKs9BfQb43BEY_FHkf6td2ygNNAsHski4Xzyy9maypC1psNEEOMEM2BZwBNeS65ZB9JShN_sYpFvIGfSEX5tYep_ubL4FIoxJFpclu3p6OQJG9VZ8a5t2M9DAOya6cc-4RyNCDat6G0k0cefCqQ4dIis8dc8EWnQSw7oEm9vNDq5642Z4y8Nj1X9jLUPa1hpKfiO8EnpHFUrzMPMaN-EFvu8i4S0fgKe7TmA_ROAx93c389SKER5kbolqHv3Nt11aWihKM1UqT6hZa_FBDWjLs9BvuPGEiGNCRUlq6s4_KiTKlC4OmdQR73zObilkEe_-TQ1NN3OjRIeSALhnxTUMqNvkk0pYN8WdPOKbdO8YddGwhNnbGF9wUdfJ254BvGHodphWvbZSo_1I=w1718-h971-no

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I noticed a crack last week on a corner and suspected something had paid the price, checked underneath and the R/F droplink was hanging off the A-R bar with the ear of the control arm mounting still attached!
    Tied it back with a cable tie and took it easy as the car was a bit unsteady without the droplink attached.
    Finally got to do this on Sunday as the floods had abated for a while and doing anything in the rain is a pain.
    Undid the bottom control arm which stumped me for a bit as the front bolt (Fore-aft) is very long and had trouble clearing the sump of the car, eventually I figured you could tap the back mounting in towards the centre of the car and it would allow the front bolt out.
    Got the control arm off and the broken tab off the droplink off and cleaned them both up and welded them back together.
    Gave it a touch up with some hammerite in black and stuck it all back together.
    The only thing was the sharp piece of metal left on the control arm had cut the rubber boot of the droplink, bit of a pain to do it again as its perfect.
    I must say that the Meyle HD droplinks are very good compared to other ones I have used. None of mine have a trace of play in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Changed the interior, door courtesy and parking/sidelights to leds. Waiting on inside boot and glove box festoon leds to be delivered during the week. In the process of changing the parking bulbs , my right dip beam isn't working a warning light just came up, I don't know how that has happened as its in a separate area to the right parking light, annoyed,was working yesterday! (haven't used the car since) Any ideas or am I just unlucky? Sorry for poor pics was in a rush to get in, started raining

r0wd4n.jpg

2cq0l0w.jpg

Another month, another oil change :pac: loving how this car is eating up the miles.

IMG_20151207_103430.jpg

I'm finding it very irritating that most motor factors give out the wrong oil filter for my car. Went to Halfords for the oil and they only had the short filter, local motor factors only had the short filter, Ashgrove sorted me with the right filter though. The shorter filter fits the housing fine, but it's not intended for the 2zz

IMG_20151207_103434.jpg

Probably could have taken more pics but Desmond had me under pressure to get the job done as quick as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Went to Halfords for the oil and they only had the short filter, local motor factors only had the short filter, Ashgrove sorted me with the right filter though. The shorter filter fits the housing fine, but it's not intended for the 2zz...

Is the idea of the longer filter to allow a little more oil to be carried?

Forgot to post this. Future mother-in-laws' car was awful steamy and tough to demist. Popped out the cabin filter and it was covered it leaves and crap.

Nice clean one went in (leaves missing from pic):
    A-asx_t132agzGsXVpMc7skHbuDp_JEuv_V_bzQscRi5p9FwyfkE0b9VqGmRjobyDNXlpyd7ZXvjUXUsUtZQRIWXYuM13MDbUbtJe3U_LQ2KsugOPcXMAf1Q2Sk_s_rxiPAB7N_zzcdWGdksFottPIDZX7wg1R5YIWmDM6FxWSjHGVs1aEUPDJQhHzA3jobrk_vS2Yb17zYyV3yywPSI4E1V47tJrdj7_2uI1FtvVG2-5kTe5CwGoU9-e6muPf2d6aQHSE2oAFlOpegsWLeSolsZhQ4S1nh6VrLIQQaAaeeN38izCptupK-N9fyXG0R80dSp3wLhGKUmHEkj2TkCoIcCXRkFWobBgqeBOlTqIfiKLuNP3QmeZrLNIFbZ72lLLcG9SxiGjfXZOV82-4xpBWzkElYCC91fwyGEx7Y2Uc1CvGrEptFWrZx3wkP-TTicla8hRAPyS4nB8FLlYwHsQT3Nk64MwJbZxB5z2m-qBT8DuRaLsisS98A2JscgS5YEAJopmcs0gCravnjCXcYDXtzJRUTWmyhO6zb5Hzhwuwb3=w1295-h971-no

jimgoose wrote: »
    Is the idea of the longer filter to allow a little more oil to be carried?

It's something to do with oil pressure I think. I remember reading a boring thread on it before. "Performance" -GE engines use the long filter and economy derived -FE engines use the short one, but in most cases the performance and economy engine share the same block so the filters are physically interchangable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Longer filter = greater filter area and maybe increased oil flow which might make sense if the lift as well as the timing is being altered.
    I do the same on my Avensis 2C-TE the standard oil filter is very short and a Landcruiser one is cheaper and bigger which allows easier servicing due to access and a slightly bigger oil capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,572 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Another month, another oil change :pac: [...]

Why oh why you used HC mineral for that state-of-art engine? wwndx_ZH.gif

• Advertisement

The bottle says fully synthetic and it's the oil that most oil retailer search engines return for that car like Opie oils, Hafords etc "Mobil Super 3000 5w30", it's also the oil that Toyota would have originally used/ recommended?

Unless you know sonething I don't? :)

Advertisement