Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It's well known that Germans lied about Mobil super 3000. When you go to their German site it clearly says HC-Synthese - they likely were afraid to lie in Germany(don't know why tho).

http://www.mobil1.de/produkte/mobil-super.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

joujoujou wrote: »
    It's well known that Germans lied about Mobil super 3000. When you go to their German site it clearly says HC-Synthese - they likely were afraid to lie in Germany(don't know why tho).

http://www.mobil1.de/produkte/mobil-super.aspx

Who will be going to their German site though? Why didn't you just come out with that in the first place instead of trying to make the op look stupid?

Unregistered Users

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Who will be going to their German site though? Why didn't you just come out with that in the first place instead of trying to make the op look stupid?
    What?

What?
    This.
    Why oh why you used HC mineral for that state-of-art engine? wwndx_ZH.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I would never have thought to cross check the German Mobil site for lies tbh :pac:

It does say that Super 3000 XE is based on "HC-Synthese" which i'm still not sure of what is meant by that.

The oil I used is Super 3000 FE which doesn't say anything about "HC-Synthese"...

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

I would never have thought to cross check the German Mobil site for lies tbh :pac:
    No surprise tbh. I never did either, since I've been noticed what oil companies now are trying to sell as "syntethic" oil. :p
    It does say that Super 3000 XE is based on "HC-Synthese" which i'm still not sure of what is meant by that.
    http://www.technilube.com/faqs_info/synth_diff.php

The oil I used is Super 3000 FE which doesn't say anything about "HC-Synthese"...
    This one?

371027.jpg

That's a bit odd. Mine's the exact same but says "Fully Synthetic".

I've done my last 4 oil changes with it and the car seems.to be going well on it.

IMG_20151208_134514.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That's a bit odd. Mine's the exact same but says "Fully Synthetic"...

What he's trying to come at is, due to some legal belt-ups many moons ago, hydrocracked Group III oils can be labeled and marketed as "full-synthetic" everywhere except Germany. In Germany, "full-synthetic" refers to real, Group IV polyalphaolefin-based synthetics. Although legend has it that Mobil make the really good stuff from reformulated ethanol.

That's a bit odd. Mine's the exact same but says "Fully Synthetic".

I've done my last 4 oil changes with it and the car seems.to be going well on it.

IMG_20151208_134514.jpg

Both say ford 913c and 913d which is fully synthetic.

So it's actually ok and I can stop sweating :pac:?

• Advertisement

So it's actually ok and I can stop sweating :pac:?

Yes!

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Both say ford 913c and 913d which is fully synthetic.

No, Ford 913C and 913D are performance specifications. They in no way mandate Group III, Group IV oils or otherwise.

Unregistered Users

That's a bit odd. Mine's the exact same but says "Fully Synthetic". [...]
    That's why I'm sure they lie.

[...]

Sadly PAO based oils are very rare today, I'd say 99.99% of the "fullly synthetic" are not really so fully as advertised. :(

For Heavens sake man, what do you use in your VVTi?

Are you speaking to me?? :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    Are you speaking to me?? :pac:

No, Jou :)

You probably use something similar in the C-Max anyway?

No, Jou :)

You probably use something similar in the C-Max anyway?

In the what now? Stop stop, just stop - I have a 3l V6 Jaguar, and I use Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C3, which is a Group III synthetic, i.e. hydrocracked.

Sorry, thought you had a C-Max :pac:!

Unregistered Users

Nothing special. She burns 0.75 litre of oil a week, so doesn't really matter what I pour into it. :D

But I know (read loads of scary stories) how important is to have a right oil to 2ZZ-GE engine so once again I couldn't resist (many times said to myself "shuttafcukup and say nothing'bout oils in this forum") and that's what happened.

Stupid me. facepalm.gif

Nothing special. She burns 0.75 litre of oil a week, so doesn't really matter what I pour into it. :D...

Right. So if the two of ye are ile-biler VVTi merchants, ye'd be wanting to look at the HTHS rating of oils. Not the Holy Trinity High-School, but the High-Temp High-Shear rating, which enables the oil to better deal with the hot-spot abuse in there. This ability is traditionally to be found in the horrifically expensive Group IV synthetics. :D

EDIT: A-ha - I knew mentioned that before:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90568148&postcount=104

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

TFB's motor is much more sophisticated than mine, despite being recognised as VVTi as well.

And it's already too late for my engine to look at anything else bar rebuild or replacement. :D

Well it's a discussion forum for discussing stuff so I am curious.

I've read a lot about the problems with the 2zz too which is why I wanted the long oil filter I also did a fair bit of research into the oil choice (awaiting some to say why didn't I get a genuine filter :) ). Like I say, check any of the non biased oil guides like bobistheoilguy, opie or halfords, that one is the most recommended for the 2zz. That combined with the fact that the OE oil with Toyota is Mobil made me think that it was a good call.

Maybe, maybe not. The car does 4k miles a month on this stuff, which is around 4 hours a day most of that at motorway speeds 3-4k rpm and over the course of the month it burns between 250-500ml which is ok for an engine with 260k kms. Maybe it is bad for it in the long run though and I am running it into the ground.

Not ranting, just discussing :)

Well it's a discussion forum for discussing stuff so I am.curious.

I've read a lot about the problems with the 2zz too which is why I wanted the long oil filter I also did a fair bit of research into the oil choice (awaiting some to say why didn't I get a genuine filter :) ). Like I say, check any of the non biased oil guides like bobistheoilguy, opie or halfords, that one is the most recommended for the 2zz. That combined with the fact that the OE oil with Toyota is Mobil made me think that it was a good call.

Maybe, maybe not. The car does 4k miles a month on this stuff, which is around 4 hours a day most of that at motorway speeds 3-4k rpm and over the course of the month it burns between 250-500ml which is ok for an engine with 260k kms.

Not ranting, just discussing :)

Mine has 162,000 miles on it and burns about a litre of the cratur every 1,500 miles. It sounds to me like you don't really have a problem with your particular ile-biler, so there's no need to fix it. Drive on! :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    Mine has 162,000 miles on it and burns about a litre of the cratur every 1,500 miles. It sounds to me like you don't really have a problem with your particular ile-biler, so there's no need to fix it. Drive on! :D

I'd like to avoid future problem though so if I'm using an unsuitable product, i'm open to advice!

I'd like to avoid future problem though so if I'm using an unsuitable product, i'm open to advice!

Couldn't agree more. I'm of the view that you don't really have a problem though, based on what you've said. Just continue to monitor oil consumption.

Unregistered Users

Consider Ravenol in the future. At least they're clear in terms of oil base - HC oils are marked so. And it's not very dear, especially when bought from Continent. :)

http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/c/pkw-motorenoele-cleansyntoR/d/Product/search.html

Sorry, thought you had a C-Max :pac:!

Our half German half Limerish Doctor has the C-Max. Although I'm starting to think he's not really a Doctor :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Our half German half Limerish Doctor has the C-Max. Although I'm starting to think he's not really a Doctor :pac:

I should put a disclaimer in my sig. :D

Warning: may not be a real doctor. Not to be trusted or taken internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Jeypurs have I just stumbled into a thread about high mileage Toyota's burning more oil than my high mileage Alfa :pac:

So this is what it feels like

Sadly my belts are due in 8 k miles :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭blackbox

I use Mobil 1 New Life in my VVTi (MR2, 105k miles), which I believe is fully synthetic. Oil consumption is virtually zero.

I think it must have been well minded when it was younger.

Advertisement