Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

Nct passed, hooray. A surprising number of people in greenhills at nine on a Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Anyone have any opinions on this for welding rust patches ect

http://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=43_81&product_id=3549

As from reading online(and my own practicing on light metal) I get the impression it's very difficult with an arc welder(not that I think it'll be easy anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

MIG is a pain in the arse if it's not set up right and that doesn't look like it's got a lot of controllability so to speak. Saying that, I've never tried gasless MIG so it could be very different.

I'm a great advocate of TIG, it's a little trickier and you will need to buy/rent gas but the finish is much better and it's a nicer skill to have.
    I'd spend about 300 on a good cheap TIG plant, a tig plant will generally do MMA too so that's handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Edit: Can't delete double posts anymore? Ahhh.....

So on the drive home earlier in my wife's micra, the clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed there (with a bang). I had to drive in first from clontarf to terenure, through Dublin city centre. Of course, the car was cutting out at low speeds. An interesting experience!

Checked the car when we got home, it's looking like the clutch cable came out of the connector.

Going to see if I can replace the connector myself, looks easy enough (from the sofa!).

GRSLxEs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Pedal box or plastic holder that holds it in place?

I had a similar experience recently.

Hal1 wrote: »
    Pedal box or plastic holder that holds it in place?

I had a similar experience recently.

The metal box in the photo that holds it in place (that the hook bit of metal connects in to) - I think the bolt sheared off.

Did you replace the entire clutch cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Nope they just welded back that section that holds the clutch cable in place. Everything else was fine surprisingly as I was expecting it to be an expensive repair.

CianRyan wrote: »
    MIG is a pain in the arse if it's not set up right and that doesn't look like it's got a lot of controllability so to speak. Saying that, I've never tried gasless MIG so it could be very different.

I'm a great advocate of TIG, it's a little trickier and you will need to buy/rent gas but the finish is much better and it's a nicer skill to have.
    I'd spend about 300 on a good cheap TIG plant, a tig plant will generally do MMA too so that's handy.

This fella makes it look very easy with a mig welder. Probably looks way easier than it is :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-JFTnnZgBE

If the pin snapped Donal you could drill it out and put a bolt in to it.

The primera needed a new bearing in one of it's swivel joints.

old one, felt like it had sand in it.

GoDXiDs.jpg

new one in.

ISr5ahH.jpg

all put back together

wqeHYSE.jpg

great guide here if anyone ever needs to do the same thing
    http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/king-pin-center-link-replacement_topic3263.html

• Advertisement

nd wrote: »
    This fella makes it look very easy with a mig welder. Probably looks way easier than it is :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-JFTnnZgBE

If the pin snapped Donal you could drill it out and put a bolt in to it.

Cheers. After looking at it this morning, the plastic clip at the pedal snapped. Everything else seems fine.

Went looking for a replacement cable this morning but none of the open motor factors had one.

G06Yfi5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Passed NCT to 10/11/17 :) I did have to cover the German plates (used blue tack on standard plates and covered just before going in) and after the test I was told my front windows were at 27% when the limit is 65% ,so had to remove the tint in front of your man. Apart from that everything is perfect ! Bed time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Summer wheels out.

368465.jpg

Winter wheels in.

368466.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Your winters look a lot nicer than the summers. It should be the other way around :D

Unregistered Users

Your winters look a lot nicer than the summers. [...]
    Only from a distance. :p

Summers are 14in diamond cut, no scratches. Very dirty on the photo though (no point to wash them on the car, as would be much easier while they're on the table). Winters are 15in TSW, loads of ugly scratches (bought them for buttons). Very shiny, cos just washed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

They look very very similar.

Unregistered Users

GvidoR wrote: »
    They look very very similar.
    Deliberately. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Put another wheels and winter tyres on car. Whenever there will be winter or not, personally myself feel more comfortable with wintertyres. Put part worn ones, but they are really little worn tyres.

tmp_6777-DSC_05211120292669.jpg

tmp_6777-DSC_0520-399128294.jpg

tmp_6777-DSC_05191468810342.jpg

Yesterday I dropped the micra to the local indy, he put the new clutch cable in. Alas, it seems like its the clutch wearing that put extra stress on the cable, so that's a future cost.

Today on my corolla I swapped out the distributor cap and put in a second hand radiator that I picked up yesterday. Hadn't done either of them before but it was relatively easy. Radiator had a leak and needed to be swapped out.

I put the primera in for an nct a week or two ago. It failed on a few small things, one of which was a bit of sill rust. I cut out the bit of rust and welded in a patch to the best of my ability. I'm not a hugely experienced welder.
    For anyone that has had it done or does it, is this likely to pass? It's solid and doesn't let any water in. What is the criteria for passing?

wPpifcf.jpg?1

YX9BU2m.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think it has to be unpainted to pass?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

What did you use a mens shed gasless mig?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Yeah, thought so too? Just get a can of silver and spray over the blue, they'll be none the wiser :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Back when the NCT had just begun, we put a small patch in the boot floor of some yoke, a Mini I think. We sealed it up and sent it back for the retest. The fookers put a flat screwdriver straight through the fresh steel we had put in!
    They never told the lady owner either, just gave her the pass cert. We spotted it next time it was in for work.

I think they use a plastic pointed implement now to check.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

pablo128 wrote: »
    Back when the NCT had just begun, we put a small patch in the boot floor of some yoke, a Mini I think. We sealed it up and sent it back for the retest. The fookers put a flat screwdriver straight through the fresh steel we had put in!
    They never told the lady owner either, just gave her the pass cert. We spotted it next time it was in for work.

I think they use a plastic pointed implement now to check.

You would have to whack the screwdriver at the panel with all your might to put it straight through a fresh steel panel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

You would have to whack the screwdriver at the panel with all your might to put it straight through a fresh steel panel

Yeah, I know! It wasn't all that long after we noticed, maybe a month or so. We told her to bring it back, which she didn't, but realistically they would just have denied it.

I'd say the cnut thought he'd knock off a big lump of filler or something.

The tester just told me it had to be steel. I can understand why it shouldn't be fully finished with filler as they can't see the weld but I can't see why a coat of paint would be a problem.

But I don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

nd wrote: »
    The tester just told me it had to be steel. I can understand why it shouldn't be fully finished with filler as they can't see the weld but I can't see why a coat of paint would be a problem.

But I don't know.

You're about to find out...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭cletus

So, today I drove a 4 cylinder car on 3 cylinders. When I got a chance to check it, the bottom of the ignition coil was burnt away, and the sparkplug is in bits in the well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Today I half solved the problem of my girlfriends "empty fuel gauge" problem. Turning into a saga these days. Turns out it was just a wire inside the tank which had worn and rubbed itself to breaking point. Simple temp fix today. Wire strippers, and twist the wires back together. Reports say a full tank now shows as half a tank on the gauge. I did notice a big difference in resistance readings across the 2 fuel sender units, so maybe one got caught under something when I was putting them back in making it stuck at a very empty reading.

Advertisement