Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

5W30 wrote:
    More interested in a passenger ride in the Punto

You're welcome to come. I could use a camera man. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

GvidoR wrote: »
    You're welcome to come. I could use a camera man. :P

I'm already charging the DSLR :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I spent the evening fighting the rain and darkness in order to give the 330 a Gtechniq glass treatment. It's amazing how much better the glass is once that stuff is on it. I have found it hard to see out the side and rear when the car is covered with dew in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] It's amazing how much better the glass is once that stuff is on it. [...]
    How long would it last? Just curious. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

joujoujou wrote: »
    How long would it last? Just curious. :)

2 years or so.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not today, but Friday, I had my keys stolen - Jacket stolen from right under my nose in a pub, and stupidly I had my keys in the pocket.
    And so begins my journey to replace all my keys, and cross fingers for a cheap way to replace a 2009 Passat cc/b6 key fob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Not today, but Friday, I had my keys stolen - Jacket stolen from right under my nose in a pub, and stupidly I had my keys in the pocket.
    And so begins my journey to replace all my keys, and cross fingers for a cheap way to replace a 2009 Passat cc/b6 key fob.

Do you have a spare key?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I take it your keeping it blocked in/garaged until you get it sorted?

pablo128 wrote: »
    Do you have a spare key?
    I do indeed. Hoping I can use that to help program a new fob.
    I take it your keeping it blocked in/garaged until you get it sorted?

Nope. No garage to keep it in. My jacket was stolen on a night out, nothing to do with my address in it, though if there was a way to reprogram the lock and key I wouldnt mind that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I do indeed. Hoping I can use that to help program a new fob.

If you're near Clondalkin, Sound Decision beside the Esso garage at the 9th lock are able to do copies. They are cheaper than Autokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Nope. No garage to keep it in. My jacket was stolen on a night out, nothing to do with my address in it, though if there was a way to reprogram the lock and key I wouldnt mind that.

Oh cripers, even still I'd be so uneasy knowing that someone has the keys to my car and could possibly take it. They could be going around looking for cc's and seeing if they flash when pressing the fob. If it was taken, wouldn't insurance say tata to you, seeing as they had a key to it? Sorry, I don't mean to frighten you or make things worse then they are. All I'm saying is that I'd be paranoid about it.

Oh cripers, even still I'd be so uneasy knowing that someone has the keys to my car and could possibly take it. They could be going around looking for cc's and seeing if they flash when pressing the fob. If it was taken, wouldn't insurance say tata to you, seeing as they had a key to it? Sorry, I don't mean to frighten you or make things worse then they are. All I'm saying is that I'd be paranoid about it.

The car is in a different county to where the keys were stolen. I have VCDS, and after a bit of googling, I think its easy enough for me to reprogram a) the existing key I have and b) any new fobs I get. I'm not that worried, though I share your concern.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Nothing too interesting, but did the spark plugs and a coolant change on my 04 focus (Mk1).
    The two H7 headlight connectors had fallen apart recently as well so I've managed to splice the old wires to a new connector on both sides. The one on the battery side was a pain to work around.
    Now to figure out why the back wiper is not working. It's not the relay, the wiring looks intact at the boot, and I tried a different motor, no luck. I suspect I've a leak in the washer tube going to the rear window somewhere and it's affecting it, but not sure how to go about dealing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The boot hatch wiring is fed into a grommet and is known on occasion to chafe over time with the boot opening and closing. The grommet can be worked back to inspect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Owner of that e60 came along this morning to get headlights, taillights and light module upgraded to the LCI version.
    All fancy looking now :cool: Freshens the look that's for sure.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Given that it wasn't that easy to get to and that it has a nissan stamp and part number on it. I'm guessing this is an almost 18 year old pollen filter :pac:

RfIFQ4d.jpg

I bet the fan will bring your hair up on full speed with the new filter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

nd wrote: »
    Given that it wasn't that easy to get to and that it has a nissan stamp and part number on it. I'm guessing this is an almost 18 year old pollen filter :pac:

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/RfIFQ4d.jpg[/IMG]

That from a primera?
    This is how the blower out of mine looked. They are upstream of the filter which I think is an odd way off doing it.
    [IMG][/img]xqb62v.jpg

Yep. I must have a look at the blower so too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Just booked NCT for next week. It's not out til April but got a letter saying if I book before January 11th I'll get a 2 year test. Might as well get it done while nothing's wrong with the car.

Gave it a quick wash and shampoo, first wash since I've bought it (just over 3 weeks ago). I Amount of ****e that came off it, but as someone else said, you wouldn't notice it as much with white cars. Really happy with it!

Cleaned and lubed the bendix gear on the starter today. Starter was slow to disengage before.

It starts so nicely now
    63998927.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

With a DOE fast approaching and the dark evenings now here I gave the headlights of my Navara some much needed TLC.

367432.jpg

367433.jpg

You can see the difference, in the first photo after some sanding. In short the process I did was

- Wash
    - 600 grit
    - 1200 grit
    - 2500 grit
    - dry, degrease
    - lacquer
    - polish

They are drying over night and will polish tomorrow. Really impressed with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nd wrote: »

You driving this instead of the Corolla now?

Nope. Just cleaning it up and messing around with it.

Brought my wife's 2001 micra to the nct last Thursday. Failed, got told of a brake imbalance at the back and also of rusty inner sills under the car. Did the right thing and got the rust cut out and new metal welded in (was told price could be 400 including replacement shoes but ended up being 150). Brakes were looked over and cleaned up too.

Interestingly the mechanic told me that most people wouldn't go for the welding approach, they'd rather just get it filled and worry about it next year. Probably shouldn't be surprised at that, but I still was.

Nct retest tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Afaik, you can't do that. When I had a Civic fail on rust (:rolleyes:) the inspector said the only way it would pass is if I brough it back and he could see that fresh metal had been welded in and if I brough the area back "repaired" and painted or schultzed over that it would still fail as they couldn't tell if it was a weld repair or full of filler.

Afaik, you can't do that. When I had a Civic fail on rust (:rolleyes:) the inspector said the only way it would pass is if I brough it back and he could see that fresh metal had been welded in and if I brough the area back "repaired" and painted or schultzed over that it would still fail as they couldn't tell if it was a weld repair or full of filler.

Yeah, but from talking to yer man he seemed to suggest that most people would still fill the hole and not do the welding, regardless of the risk involved that the NCT could fail them again.

In fact, he offered it to me as an option. He also said they haven't had a car fail the nct after being patched.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Dónal wrote: »
    Brought my wife's 2001 micra to the nct last Thursday. Failed, got told of a brake imbalance at the back and also of rusty inner sills under the car. Did the right thing and got the rust cut out and new metal welded in (was told price could be 400 including replacement shoes but ended up being 150). Brakes were looked over and cleaned up too.

Interestingly the mechanic told me that most people wouldn't go for the welding approach, they'd rather just get it filled and worry about it next year. Probably shouldn't be surprised at that, but I still was.

Nct retest tomorrow.

They won't except fillers. Must be welded with the welds visable and not painted over. You did the right thing. The fillers option might work if it's done before the original test and the tester doesn't notice it. On an area like the sill though filler just isn't worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

They seem to accept it just fine, seen 60-70 go through with such a "repair". Underseal can hide some terrible sins :(

Advertisement